Finished trimming and flaring the 3 output lines last night. I also played around with some zip ties, which hold them together surprisingly well. I still need to come up with at least one mount for the firewall.
Then it was time to tackle the input lines. Im not really happy with how these turned out. 1. the bulkheads are just so damn tall and 2. id like a little more clearance to the steering shaft (yes, I could bend them away more). So I ordered some electroless nickel plated 90 deg bulkheads this am. Ill need to have the engine bay side flange redone to accommodate the nuts and then hope like hell one out of the 6 choices allows the 90 to be keyed correctly inside (I can also shim them some if necessary).
Note: yes, one of the bulkhead fittings i had to substitute with a bolt as I left one at work.
Wasnt digging the dumb bends on the input lines at the firewall so I picked up some nickel plated bulkhead 90s. It turned out SO much better.
With that done, I whipped up the rear crossover line and bracket. Im still deciding on what to use for clamps, hence its just floating right now.
There will be no hard line on the drivers side, the braided line from the caliper will just extend right to the tee.
And hose routing on the pass side around the surge tank and thru the axle beam
Finally, I was able to work out routing of the ebrake cables without getting crazy and completely re-routing them. I just need the next size longer, 1800mm vs 1730mm. They are on order. I had to do a small notch in the fuel filter bracket (still needs a tiny bit more clearance) and massaged the corner of the gas tank a bit to add a small channel.
Test fit a wheel last night to both verify my axle spacer measurements were right and also to see how much wheel clearance I had for the axle beam brace "towers".
Perfect fit, and no rubbing. I know very un-vw.
With that I welded up these little towers. I happened to have the rod ends and bar "in stock", leftovers from cavy projects I guess.
Trying to decide where to mount them. I really like them over the shock mount, but then they could get filled up with water and whatever. Im thinking a drain hole might be good enough to keep water from washes drained. Also unsure if the swaybar mount "lollipop" bolt is long enough to go through the extra metal.
I dont know how I took this to be powder coated years ago with the condition of the pass side shock mount area. Its pretty hammerd (literally). At least I can address that now as well since its going to need to be re-coated.
Was never a huge fan of the rear bumper cover or the huge tow hooks. The bumper flap in had a big crack right in the middle, so I decided to do a little trimming. At some point I may come up with a simple diffuser but for now just having that middle flap cut out and the tow hooks gone is a huge improvement.
So long ugly ass tow hooks
I think it will be pretty business looking once the bracing is in.
Next was time to fix the pass side shock mount area on the beam. How I ever took this to powder 6 years ago Ill never know. It was very bent up and beat to hell. Must be someone couldnt get the shock out at one time. A little beating with a BFH, welding, grinding, and redrilling and its pretty close to normal.
Also got the second brace tower welded up. Decided not to mount them over the shock hole. To keep them from filling up with water I welded up the oe hole in the beam, then tacked the towers on
Autotech swaybar and longer tie rods will be here by thursday so I can finish up this beam and get everything back to powder sat am.
Fabbed up the inner axle beam bracing mounts last night. Still need to be welded but Im currently out of sheild gas for the TIG. Also dont mind the random wheel studs, it was the only 5/8" bolts I had that were long enough. The fin at the bottom double serves as a jack point should I not be near the lift.
Finished up the beam bracing last night. Welds arent my best, but itll work
Also had to modify the inner swaybar mounts. The OE mounts are supposed to fit the Autotech big swaybar, well mine didnt. They were about 1/4" too short. Its really weird, all of the MK1 VW cars have the same OE part number for this bracket, just different revisions dep on year. Given these are NLA and if I found a used set who knows if theyd fit, I decided just to mod them
First welded a shim to the mounting hole side.
Then cut off the bent end.
Bent / cut up a new peice
Positioned, tacked, and bent around the orig bracket
Ugly welded in place
Ground and sanded to sort of match the OE look
And the whole smash on the car
Up next I need to get the motor back in then start on the exhaust.