KilometerMagazine.com - So, did you ride today? (Details!)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 302 of 307 FirstFirst ... 202252292298299300301302303304305306 ... LastLast
    Results 7,526 to 7,550 of 7653
    1. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328i xDrive Wagon 6MT
      05-16-2017 11:16 AM #7526
      Quote Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
      That's why the country roads win, but I don't have the balls for some of those around here. Rednecks in big trucks rolling at 55mph and texting doesn't give me the feels. A lot of the roads/streets you see in my routes are neighborhood streets or ones with bike lanes to the right of the flow of traffic.
      Yea, knowing the roads that will get you out of town safely is really helpful. Once you're out of town it isn't THAT bad though. Unfortunately, you're right smack dab in the middle of everything, so its going to be a 15 mile slog regardless of which direction you go. I think my next place is going to be on the south edge of town so its easy to escape. Although I guess that will eventually fill in too.

Vehicles
      Ghetto35
      05-16-2017 12:06 PM #7527
      Quote Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
      Depending on the route, I'm figuring this to be true.
      Assuming you're not riding through the art museum at noon on a Saturday, it's hardly ever true. People sometimes like to bend the truth a tad to support their preferences. Just like roads, there are good and bad, empty and congested greenways.

As far as roads out of town a bit are concerned, yeah, they are better. If I'm going to ride at any length on a road, that's my preference. Yes, you get the occasional redneck in a truck or dumbass in a Camry, but generally people are pretty mindful of bikes and give you some room. The only trouble I've had is on 751 and Farrington. Mostly though, you get some of the benefits of a greenway (no lights, less huffing exhaust, light traffic) but don't really have to worry about inattentive pedestrians. Still though, I generally find that the NRT or ATT is more enjoyable.

If you want to give it empty roads a shot and are willing to drive out west, park at the New Hope Church ATT lot and take New Hope Church west, Mt. Pisgah Church (left), Ferrell Road (left), Lewter Shop (right), Barbee (right), Ferrell (left) and then back to the lot the way you came. It's not a long ride, but it's typically pretty empty. Another, longer loop is the Hollands Chapel/Farrington/Marthas Chapel ride off of Lewter Shop/751. All of that can be accessed from Black Creek and White Oak greenway, but it's a bit of a schlep from your side of town. I'm sure mrothwell has ideas around you.

Speaking of White Oak, I just went on a little ride out that way. Nice and empty, and I was unable to go too fast.

https://www.strava.com/activities/989723686

3. 05-16-2017 01:41 PM #7528
      16.4 at lunch. Fasted ride, just some trash cereal at breakfast and few black coffees this AM.

Not too bad. Felt a lot warmer than WRAL claimed it was. East wind helping way out and hurting way back in, very light. Been too busy at work a long while to hit the NRT up at lunchtime. Passed a guy riding an older gen Propel or TCR or something.

I LOVE that they put concrete down where that one driveway downhill towards Clayton used to be a dip full of gravel. Now you can just keep on getting it down and over the bridge.

I dismounted and walked over that broken bridge, was fine.

There were a few black widows chilling in the corner of the port o john back at the parking lot where I changed. Kill that ish with hot fire, then nuke from orbit, just to be sure.

Not sure how I got PR's on that ride but had a similar avg speed. Whatever.

4. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      05-16-2017 08:43 PM #7529
      Maybe I did crack something, more pain today on the very outside femur head. Ortho Trauma appt Friday AM. Will see. Some dude this time, my last hip Dr. was a smoking hot young Asian chick. She looked at my photos and wants me to see a trauma guy instead. I don't think I smell that bad!

5. 05-17-2017 08:24 AM #7530
      Quote Originally Posted by WhineMCABasket2.0t View Post
      Maybe I did crack something, more pain today on the very outside femur head. Ortho Trauma appt Friday AM. Will see. Some dude this time, my last hip Dr. was a smoking hot young Asian chick. She looked at my photos and wants me to see a trauma guy instead. I don't think I smell that bad!
      I have a hard time smelling myself so you never know. Good to get that injury checked out. You don't want it morphing into something more chronic.

BTW, any mountain bikers here worry about ticks? Now that the growth has gotten dense and I'm constantly brushing up against vegetation, I worry that I might pick up ticks.

6. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      05-17-2017 08:56 AM #7531
      I used to worry about ticks on the east coast but we don't have problems with Lyme here. I swapped that for mountain lions.

7. 05-17-2017 09:43 AM #7532
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      If you want to give it empty roads a shot and are willing to drive out west
      It's been hard to schedule the time for longer rides. I'm not some categorized rider so if there are rollers or stoplights and signs, it will take me about 4:15 to do a metric century ride, then add in the stops and you're looking at 4:30 to 4:45. Whereas some strong rider could probably crank out a metric ride around this area in like 3 hours or some crazy mess.

If I had to drive out of town, that's another 40 min round trip to get to cow country. I'm already pushing my luck getting out of the house for as long as I do.

The fastest route out of town for me is probably north past Jubala to north of 540. That can be done from my house in about 20-25 min.

What I should do is transition to using the first 30 min of early light to get out of town in the morning on a Saturday or Sunday and finish around 10AM.

But that means getting up at 5 to get ready to leave by 6. And I am NOT a morning person.

On evening rides I will be using the light for about 1 hour of the ride. Given that, that last hour needs to be back in the 'hood where I know the route well, traffic is light and slower.

Now that the Neuse is finally below major flood stage with the dam release, they can clean that mess up and I can use the NRT in entirety. It's not very hilly, but I can get to it from the house and you can roll for hours uninterrupted.

8. 05-17-2017 11:02 AM #7533
      Tonight's roll: https://www.strava.com/routes/8727627

I cut a lot of Walnut and Crabtree out of this. I used the 'heatmaps' and checked out google streetview for bike lanes. I also used some old Crankarm group ride routes and a few pieces from other people I follow in parts of town.

The pieces of Walnut and Crabtree used are the newer pavement and straighter shots. Any of you need to avoid Crabtree after the mall by N Hills drive. After flooding the trail has huge north/south ridges in the pavement that will swallow a tire. They have ropes up, but be careful! I'm going to use N Hills drive around that piece.

I'm back in my neck of the woods by the time it gets dark. Also, only about 1/3 of this is greenway.

A few of those thru downtown now have segregated bike lanes after checking out google streetview.

We'll see how it goes.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      05-17-2017 09:24 PM #7534
      27 miles with a 12.8 avg on the mountain bicycle today. Zero PRs. Zero ****s given. Was just nice to get a ride in.
      Signature.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328i xDrive Wagon 6MT
      05-18-2017 08:21 AM #7535
      Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
      27 miles with a 12.8 avg on the mountain bicycle today. Zero PRs. Zero ****s given. Was just nice to get a ride in.
      **** yea.

I love those mtb rides where you just "flow". You're not going particularly fast, but you feel smooth, and the Strava is the last thing on your mind. I've been struggling to get that feeling back since I broke my collarbone.

Vehicles
      Ghetto35
      05-18-2017 08:34 AM #7536
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      **** yea.

I love those mtb rides where you just "flow". You're not going particularly fast, but you feel smooth, and the Strava is the last thing on your mind. I've been struggling to get that feeling back since I broke my collarbone.
      I broke a couple of my GPS mounts, so I've mostly been using my phone. I leave that in my jersey pocket, and it's kind of nice. Give that a shot. I've never really cared all that much about Strava times (they're generally pretty inaccurate and meaningless), but it is nice to keep track of distance and time.

I intended to ride a couple of laps of some gravel last night. While I was riding, I decided that two laps of the same thing would be boring, so I mixed it up a bit:

https://www.strava.com/activities/993289557

The 1.95 Renegade on the back with around 45psi was a little sketchy on fast, loose downhills, but felt planted on smoother stuff. I'll have to play with pressures.

12. 05-18-2017 08:41 AM #7537
      Did 66 last night, https://www.strava.com/activities/993524925

Everything about this ride was "more" than last week. Distance, a little more elevation (still whatever), and a little speed. But, entire time never felt like I burned any matches or really put out more than 60 to 65% effort. But.....it was still faster/more. I intentionally slowed the pace early in the ride and totally ignored any segments. I did have to burn up a match twice to sprint for a stoplight.

I finished this 66 feeling no different than some higher intensity 35 to 40 rides. I pulled up to house at 66 feeling I had more in me if I had more food/fuel.

It feels so much better for the body to burn calories/glycogen instead of muscle.

Yesterday I did this:
      -normal crap cereal breakfast
      -mid morning orange
      -rice, chicken, cheese "ACP" lunch at the local Mexican place with ton of chips/salsa
      -Did a few bidons of gatorade while working after lunch through drive home and had a snack
      -ate a basic sandwich before ride
      -took a large bidon full of gatorade and the other one with just tablet electrolyte in it, alternated drinks from these and refilling with h20
      -after 1 hour ate a banana
      -after 2 hours ate the first pop-tart from the pack
      -after 3 hours ate the 2nd pop-tart from the pack
      -stopped by house to top up on water for the last hour and change

I probably could have taken a 2nd banana. The pop-tarts and banana worked great. Sat well in the belly, easy to carry and eat, good packaging/taste.

Just for grins and giggles since our work team is in the Tour of California, I updated my profile picture for epic cheese factor to show my support. I also went and threw out some kudos for their stage rides showing up online.

Also, that route was very smooth except for the gravel and a few bad sections of pavement for like 100 yards. Was pretty good.
      But.....I would not ride that route EVER at night time once the time changes back. Also wouldn't ride it on a busy time of day. By time I got to downtown and those streets around there, everyone was home already.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      05-18-2017 02:37 PM #7538
      Good job Sheep.

I went out to Skyline this morning. Did 48 miles with 5500 feet. Went hard on the first climb to check my FTP. It went up about 10 watts. Held 309 for 20; I'm ok with that. Was pretty tired the rest of the ride and just ride easy.

My A race is next Sunday. It'll be a 5:30 to 5:45 day. I haven't done any long rides recently. I don't know if I should do an easy 4ish hour ride on Sat, then rest, or just assume I won't explode and go easy, letting the fatigue drop. I know doing a longer ride will be mental. I'm happy with where my power is, but don't want to fall apart at mile 70

14. 05-18-2017 02:51 PM #7539
      Quote Originally Posted by moose82 View Post
      Held 309 for 20
      That's a fair amount.

I'd be overjoyed with 250 for 20 someday.

15. 05-19-2017 03:07 PM #7540
      A little more today. Some "Z2" miles, I guess. I don't have a meter on the bike so just tried to take it easy. Mixed in a few 1 min speed demon efforts for fun.

https://www.strava.com/activities/995810127

A week of mosts/bests......most mileage in a week, longest ride, even if still 'lower' most elevation on a ride, biggest wattage sprint (it must have been if it was worth the KOM), best fueling for riding.

Yes, it's 'toys' to someone slow like me, but at 30+mph in the flat the aero must do something. It couldn't just be me.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      05-19-2017 04:02 PM #7541
      Good job Sheep.

I went out to Skyline this morning. Did 48 miles with 5500 feet. Went hard on the first climb to check my FTP. It went up about 10 watts. Held 309 for 20; I'm ok with that. Was pretty tired the rest of the ride and just ride easy.

My A race is next Sunday. It'll be a 5:30 to 5:45 day. I haven't done any long rides recently. I don't know if I should do an easy 4ish hour ride on Sat, then rest, or just assume I won't explode and go easy, letting the fatigue drop. I know doing a longer ride will be mental. I'm happy with where my power is, but don't want to fall apart at mile 70
      Quoting myself - decided to ride long tomorrow. I played with the numbers on TrainingPeaks. Even a 4 hour ride tomorrow leaves plenty of time for the fatigue to come down and keep the fitness at a decent point. Figure if I ride at like 220w for 4 hours, that's a totally sustainable pace. During the race, I plan to sit about 10th wheel for the first 3 hours and keep the power as low as possible. I think getting 70 miles or so in, solo, will be a good mental victory.

Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      05-19-2017 07:04 PM #7542
      Quoting myself - decided to ride long tomorrow. I played with the numbers on TrainingPeaks. Even a 4 hour ride tomorrow leaves plenty of time for the fatigue to come down and keep the fitness at a decent point. Figure if I ride at like 220w for 4 hours, that's a totally sustainable pace. During the race, I plan to sit about 10th wheel for the first 3 hours and keep the power as low as possible. I think getting 70 miles or so in, solo, will be a good mental victory.
      Nice one!

If you want to spice things up a little, do all your efforts in the second half of the ride.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4dr DSG, 02 4Runner SR5 4x4
      05-20-2017 09:46 AM #7543
      Crazy to think how a small tweaked hanger can mess with your bike. Wasn't sure it was my hanger or rear dérailleur so changed both out. Upgraded to a 11sp XT for when I'm ready to go 1x. Bike is so smooth, had an nice night ride minus riding into a pricker bush. Bunch of PRs including improving my KOM.

https://www.relive.cc/view/996138759
      12 GTI 4dr DSG - APR
      02 4Runner SR5

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      05-20-2017 11:17 AM #7544
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Nice one!

If you want to spice things up a little, do all your efforts in the second half of the ride.
      I kept it relatively steady state. 70 miles, 3600 ft, NP of 225, 3:43 ride time. Felt super fresh at the end

https://www.strava.com/activities/997008692
      Last edited by moose82; 05-22-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      05-22-2017 03:01 PM #7545
      Decent ride on Saturday. Two laps of the red trails resulting in 21 miles. Lack of riding really killed my power on short steep efforts, though.
      Signature.

Vehicles
      02 24V GTI - POS Subaru
      05-22-2017 03:45 PM #7546
      Went for a ride around Denver on Saturday!! This time I went East into downtown rather than up the mountain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      PSN: PainKiller-sas-

22. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      05-22-2017 04:06 PM #7547
      Green light to ride again, will do a light spin tomorrow.

23. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      05-23-2017 05:57 PM #7548
      Green light to ride again, will do a light spin tomorrow.
      Not happy with the results for 2 reasons. First, the drained hematoma came back pretty damn fast. Don't think it usually comes back that fast. While it isn't hot and firm I am concerned about an ongoing bleed. It also spread to the front of my leg from the aspiration. The original area is fine while riding but this new area is highly irritating.

Vehicles
      2011 Prius
      05-24-2017 10:02 AM #7549
      Nabbed 3rd from a break at a circuit race last thursday, was trying to lead out my teamate. Still have some work to do.

25. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      05-24-2017 01:41 PM #7550
      Not happy with the results for 2 reasons. First, the drained hematoma came back pretty damn fast. Don't think it usually comes back that fast. While it isn't hot and firm I am concerned about an ongoing bleed. It also spread to the front of my leg from the aspiration. The original area is fine while riding but this new area is highly irritating.
      Well i found a historical shot of the area that looks way more bruised right now and turns out it's actually kinda the same outline and right now it's thinner and some yellow on the fringe. So this makes me feel good that it isn't bleeding still. I almost think all my regional bruising is a lot better right now, I wonder if it made it's way into the vacuum of the hematoma.

edit for update. doc is not concerned by the pics, so thats good. it's still ****ing huge but the bulge itself is not in the way of anything except wearing jeans. so if this new irritation at the front would ever go away i could maybe get back into a routine, bulge or no bulge.
      Last edited by WhineMCABasket2.0t; 05-24-2017 at 08:37 PM.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 302 of 307 FirstFirst ... 202252292298299300301302303304305306 ... LastLast