Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
      Vehicles
      '11 Grand Cherokee
      03-06-2010 01:58 PM #51
      Great work on the syncro, Dave. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Current: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi 4x4, 2015 BMW R1200GS, 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD (Wife)
      Gone: 2010 Audi S4; 2008 GTI; 2007 Audi A6; 2004 Audi allroad 2.7T; 2001 Audi A6 2.7T; 1999.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6; 1991 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4

Vehicles
      MK7 R #333
      03-06-2010 03:37 PM #52
      Where are the Volvo's?
      oh, and sweet collection
      GIAC Stage 2+ ECU and TCU//CTS Downpipe, Intake, BOV, Turbo Inlet Pipe, Throttle Pipe and Discharge Pipe//Eurocode Turbo Muffler Delete//B&B Exhaust//Unitronic Intercooler//BFI Engine and Transmission Mounts//034 Torque Mount Insert and Rear Subframe Inserts//Neuspeed Rse10//Maxton V.1 Lip Spolier//New South Boost Gauge and Vent Pod//Pinalloy Paddles//Golf R Euro LED Tails

03-06-2010 04:27 PM #53
      As sexy as the S5 is, I think my favorite is your van. Very cool indeed.

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      03-07-2010 12:29 AM #54
      Quote, originally posted by brekdown29 »
      Where are the Volvo's?
      oh, and sweet collection

I am volvo-less for the first time in a long time. Sold my 89 244 when I bought the A6 (that's a story for another time). It's more about parking space then anything at this point. When I have more space I would very much like to get back into them (RWD).
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      03-07-2010 12:36 AM #55
      Quote, originally posted by JCJetta »
      As sexy as the S5 is, I think my favorite is your van. Very cool indeed.

I am not going to lie, they all have a special place in my heart. Most people gravitate toward the S5, but when it comes down to it, the majority of it is a factory creation. I've spent the most blood sweat and tears (and learning) on the rabbit, but a 16v rabbit, not matter how built, its still not exactly a rare beast. The Vanagon on the other hand, is a totally different story, even in stock form. Because of that, it does have a special place in my heart even though most people have no interest in talking about it.
      Dave

Vehicles
      2015 GLi
      03-07-2010 12:56 AM #56
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Instagram: E_GEEEZY

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      03-07-2010 07:37 PM #57
      got the seam sealer in the seams today. Crammed some 3m brushable stuff into a syringe, filled the seams then leveled it with a finger. Turned out pretty good. Primer and paint tomorrow hopefully.

also got a pic of the passenger side rocker/crossmember/b-pillar/jack point that was rebuilt. There is about a half dozen different pieces in here.

(before)
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      03-11-2010 12:55 PM #58
      had a corolla rental in arizona this week. I'm still alive.
      and in other news, every car I own needs an oil change.
      Dave

9. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-11-2010 01:19 PM #59
      *sigh*
      I look at your blog and see how much you've accomplished in a month...whereas my car has been sitting in my dad's shop, in pieces, mid-brake job for that same amount of time. (Blame Tire Rack's inability to ship me the correct parts and my own stupidity for deciding to 'upgrade' to the bigger rotors they shipped me.)
      Nice work as always, Dave. The Syncro is a very unique beast--I can't help but search Craigslist for a Westy with a blown wasserboxer in hopes of finding one on the cheap that I could do the Scooby 2.5 conversion with. Fortunately Small Car Performance is about 40 miles south of me, so I'd probably just buy their kit + premade wiring harness ($$$ but less hassle/likelihood for post-swap wiring issues).

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      03-11-2010 01:25 PM #60
      I went with smallcar for all the mounts, adapters and exhaust. It's a nice setup but they have better stuff now (ie the mounts are actually POWDERCOATED, exhaust manfiold/header is full SS and they have the bellhousing kit which lets you use the (stronger) subaru clutch and starter) for not much more money.
      I love doing wiring. It's straightforward and logical to me. Sit down with some wiring diagrams and the harness and have at it yourself!
      Dave

11. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-11-2010 01:33 PM #61
      I've done wiring harnesses before, in addition to having replaced about 50% of the existing wiring in our 38' sailboat (while also adding a BUNCH of electronics it didn't have originally, including a three-stage battery charger/inverter, GPS and radar, etc).
      Given how bad a headache that stuff normally gives me--and how innately bad I am at it--I'm likely not to touch the Subaru harness, especially given the engine harness is bundled with the vehicle harness IIRC. The idea of cutting that apart and stripping all of the engine wiring out...*shudder*

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      03-11-2010 01:41 PM #62
      yes I realize that most people do not share my predilection for 12v wiring.
      Quote, originally posted by Numbersix »
      I've done wiring harnesses before, in addition to having replaced about 50% of the existing wiring in our 38' sailboat (while also adding a BUNCH of electronics it didn't have originally, including a three-stage battery charger/inverter, GPS and radar, etc).

thats actually how I started- marine wiring.
      Dave

Vehicles
      Mini Cooper S 2dr / Toyota 4Runner Trail
      03-11-2010 01:48 PM #63
      I can't tell you how happy in makes me to see a Syncro Vanagon being shown some serious love.
      Keep it up! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      "We'll not risk another frontal assault... that rabbit's DYNAMITE!"

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      03-12-2010 04:31 PM #64
      Got the S5 back on insurance this morning, and took it for a state inspection. I take all the cars to the same place and it's always kind of a game with the guys that work there to see how quickly I can fix any "issues" they come up with before they give me a sticker. I strive to be back before the end of the day, which at times was interesting when I owned older 240's and especially the first year I owned the convertible (its now registered as an antique so it's exempt). They don't even put the S5 up on the lift which is kind of nice.
      As I said everything was due for an oil change. There were no real surprises on the S5 other then how small the filter is (I am used to the paper element filters on the VR6, the S5 element is probably half the size) and the fact that it takes 10!!! quarts of oil. While doing the A6 I took the opportunity to change the oil level sensor, which I suspected was the culprit of my non-functioning oil temp gauge. I went back and forth on whether or not I was going to replace it, seeing as it's not really that important, but in the end I gave end and replaced it. It seems people have had issues with the aftermarket meyle/febi sensors, so I ponied up for the OEM hella unit from the dealer to the tune of 115 bucks . I do however had a working oil temp gauge though. One more thing off the list for the wagon.

For the van, I just ended up removing the fasteners from the mudflaps, they were essentially wing nuts molded into the plastic, so a dremel with a grinding wheel added a little heat to the metal, melted the plastic around them, and made them easy to get out. I plan on using sheet metal screws when reinstalling them to make things easier now and in the future. I'll probably fill the holes with something but I haven't decided what yet.

done an awful lot of oil changes in the last two months

Dave

15. I could've been a contender. jebglx's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI 5DR
      03-13-2010 11:52 AM #65
      *sigh*
      I look at your blog and see how much you've accomplished in a month...

hahahahahahaha...i can't even find the time to do an oil change
      - Bill, your friendly former VWVortex administrator.

urge to kill...RISING !!!

Fight The Power! **** Trump

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      03-14-2010 07:02 PM #66
      Wagon-
      drove down to SE Mass Saturday (in the middle of a very crappy rain/wind storm - another reason I really like the wagon) to pick up a set of used B5 S4 17's with Yoko Avid W4s on them. The wheels aren't in perfect shape, they have some marks on the face and one has a bit of curb rash, but 2 of the tires are almost new, and the other 2 are in very good shape and the price was right.

They make the car look like it needs to be lowered, but I will live with it as is.
      little side note, the plastic wheel hangers VW/AUDI is including with their cars are pretty useful but not strong enough for constant use. Some retailers are selling metal ones for 15+ bucks. I simply went out to the hardware store, found the longest 14x1.5mm bolt I could, cut the head off, and ground the end to be smooth. Works great for just a couple bucks.

Modified by rs4-380 at 7:44 AM 3-17-2010
      Dave

Vehicles
      CX9 & MK7 R
      03-14-2010 07:30 PM #67
      The S4 wheels look great on there... and I did the same thing for the wheel stud thinger
      dasjettakartell - immortalized on the wall, forgotten on the floor

18. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-15-2010 03:46 PM #68
      I think the S6 wagon used those wheels too, no? So they certainly are right at home. Much better than the others, and hey--the A6 wheels will fit the Vanagon (if you're so inclined). At least they fit RWD Vanagons.

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      03-15-2010 04:08 PM #69
      I think the S6 wagon used those wheels too, no? So they certainly are right at home. Much better than the others, and hey--the A6 wheels will fit the Vanagon (if you're so inclined). At least they fit RWD Vanagons.

S6 wheels are the same style and diameter but are wider (8 vs. 7.5) and have a different offset.
      The A6 wheels won't fit the Vanagon (RWD or AWD) unless you drill out the center bore. That is what let me fit the S5 wheels on the van, the new B8 platform cars use hubs with bigger center bores then all the previous B/C platforms.
      Dave

20. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-16-2010 01:09 PM #70
      Aaaah. I have seen a Vanagon with the A6 wheels you have on it...didn't realize that's what it took to fit them.

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      03-17-2010 07:43 AM #71
      Van-
      This was pretty special. This is where the passenger seatbelt mount bolted to the fender. I pulled it out with my hands

I cut out the soft parts, and replaced it with a double layer of 18ga.

drivers side is not as bad but will get patched as well.
      Also discovered that the inner boot on the drivers side front axle is torn and the bolts on the cv are loose. Need to add that to the list.
      Last edited by rs4-380; 05-26-2010 at 03:29 PM.
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      03-17-2010 09:02 PM #72
      van-
      passenger side seatbelt/fender patch

driver side
      Last edited by rs4-380; 05-26-2010 at 03:28 PM.
      Dave

23. 03-17-2010 09:37 PM #73
      Loving this blog! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Keep going on the vanagon!

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      03-18-2010 09:57 PM #74
      van-
      uhh. I just need to stop digging into things. Was staring to put the interior back together and decided to just pull the middle seat out as I never really use it and with it gone it really opens up the interior for taller things (like trash cans). After getting it out I took the carpet and padding out to look at some of the rust spots that I new were going to be there. Dug a bit with a screwdriver and pushed through on some of them, so took a cutoff wheel to open them up to good metal and since most of then were due to spot welds from crossmembers or brackets underneath, took a grinder to some the underlying pieces.
      wait.... Wasn't I just putting the car back together???

So now I've got more welding and then I really need to stop for now.
      I ordered new rear corner pieces for both sides, but did not order the whole rear fender for the passenger side as I didn't want to spend 60 bucks when I only need a tiny piece for the repair. I have never seen any vanagons in the local yards (and don't ever expect too) so I called a local guy that has a shop and I know has owned vans. He didn't have any parts cars but told me to call another place about 30 minutes away, that I was familiar with but has changed names. As soon as I got there I started kicking myself. I don't know how/why I ever forgot about this place. They have everything I work on and stuff I can never find in the local yards, including half-dozen vans (1 was even a syncro), rabbits, plenty of 'parts-rich' a2's, volvo 240s and even some audis in the vintage of the wagon. I certainly will not be forgetting about it again. I am headed back tomorrow afternoon to give them a chance to cut out the piece I need. If I can remember what else I need I hope to come back with more then that.
      Also been driving the S5 all week because of the amazing weather. Roads still have some crap on them and are a bit bumpy but they are still in pretty darn good shape for this time of year.
      Last edited by rs4-380; 05-26-2010 at 03:27 PM.
      Dave

25. Member
      03-18-2010 10:15 PM #75
      Just for grins, how much work would be involved to convert a 2WD Vanagon with pristine sheetmetal into a Synchro? I take it that the fuel tank, fuel filler, and probably even the spare tire all must get moved to make room for the front axle and prop shaft, would the suspension attachment points be any different?
      I'm wondering because the 'rents still own an '86 Vanagon GL that's been in the family since like '89 and has never ventured out of the north Texas area the entire time and as a result is surprisingly rust free and would probably make for an interesting project.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast