Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
      Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      04-26-2010 06:37 PM #101
      van-
      filled the holes in the mudflaps with plastic epoxy in anticipation of reattaching them

S5-
      The car came home on a flatbed yesterday afternoon . Was driving through town and as I slowed down for a light I heard a terrible loud rubbing noise coming from the front left. At first I was not sure it was my car, but it became quickly apparent it was. It was not engine or transmission related, but it would do it whenever the car moved. First thing I thought was a wheel bearing, but it was way to loud and high-pitched, it sounded more like grinding against thin metal like a heatshield or a dust shield. Parked the car and had a look, but couldn't really see much considering the width of the tires and how close it is to the ground. Did not want to screw with and had somewhere to be so I called AAA, hitched a ride with them, ditched the S5 at home and left in the wagon. Interestingly enough the car was still making the noise when it came off the flatbed but it was not when I pulled it in the garage.
      Went back to look at it today (was still not making the noise) and pulled off the wheel. Did not see anything out of sorts, but looking at the back of the rotor there were two faint score lines, and then looking at the rotor side of the dust shield, I could see some "trauma". Not sure what it was but something obviously got stuck in there and was making a racket until it dislodged.

Glad it wasn't something more.
      Also took the overhead light console down to address the rattle. It seems one of the spring clips was a bit loose and was vibrating. Simple fix.
      Last edited by rs4-380; 05-26-2010 at 03:03 PM.
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      05-02-2010 11:28 PM #102
      had a nissan cube as a rental this weekend. Interesting little concept in packaging and design but as with most cars in this class, I found it was not for me. Looks different, but it's still basic transportation, not anything I would want to spend any time in.
      Interesting thing was is that I was actually in Texas and got a bunch of quizzical looks from truck owners.
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      05-06-2010 11:15 PM #103
      A6-

The wagon, like many cars these days, no longer had the plastic belly pan that it originally came with. I wanted to replace it if only to keep the engine bay clean, but new ones were 225+ from the online retailers before shipping, and a skidplate (which I liked, although didn't really need the impact resistance) was about the same cost. Finding one in a junkyard here was an absolute no go, so after stewing around for a couple months, I just decided to attempt to make one on the cheap with what I had laying around.

Therefore, how to make a bellypan replacement using a light switch cover and bubblewrap.

I had a bunch of fiberglass laying around, as well as some epoxy, and had plenty of experience with it, so I decided to lay something up with that. I figured it was easy to make to any shape, could still be flexible, was lightweight, and could be easily repaired if ever broken.

I started out making a template from cardboard

Traced it roughly out several times on some 6oz cloth alternating, the orientation for strength.

Then laid down some heavy plastic sheeting on the garage floor, and wet out my layers.

Another layer of heavy plastic sheeting was laid on top, then a scrap piece of plywood and some weight to spread the resin and keep any voids from developing.

After curing for a day, the edges were trimmed and the fiberglass was test fit again to make sure it cleared. Fiberglass is like sheet metal, it needs 3 dimensions to have rigidity, so at this point, with 4 layers of 6oz it was still pretty flimsy. To keep things simple, I didn't want to add curvature to the piece, so my other option was sandwiching a filler, which would then add the 3rd dimension and the necessary rigidity. You can really use anything, but ideally, you use something lightweight, as the filler itself does not provide much structural support. Closed cell foam is a great choice, but I couldn't find anything laying around the house that was thin enough, so after looking around I picked up some bubblewrap and used that. Sounds weird, but all I really needed to do was provide something for another layer of glass to sit on, bubblewrap worked fine for that. I only layed the bubblewrap and additional layers to about 8 inches within the front edge, as that needed to remain flexible to curve up and meet the valance. I also reinforced the rear edge (mounting) with a couple additional strips of scrap 'glass.

It has since cured, been trimmed and test fit again, the last step was adding the 90 degree angles to connect to the fender liners. Didn't get pictures of that but when I get back to it I will get some more up-
      Last edited by rs4-380; 05-13-2010 at 05:37 PM.
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      05-11-2010 10:43 AM #104
      Next look for the van??
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      05-18-2010 01:44 PM #105
      Planned on getting the rabbit out this past weekend to take it to a local GTG.

Last summer, when getting the car out of storage, it wouldn't start. I figured out the fuel pump was not running, and eventually traced it back to the ECU (023 Ib) not powering on. It was receiving power, but not turning on. After sending it across the country for a month, 034 couldn't figure out anything wrong with it, other then it seemed to be stuck in some kind of firmware update mode. After getting the ecu back, the car fired right up. I drove it a couple times without issues, and then after another couple weeks, found the same problem. This time 034 sent the ecu to the board manufacturer who also pronounced nothing wrong with it, and updated the firmware. Again, after receiving it (down time was about 6 weeks this time) car fired right up. Put it into storage last fall and checked on it a couple times last winter (easy to tell if the ecu is "working" as the fuel pump will come on when the ignition is turned on), but hadn't really done anything with it until this weekend. Well, it's happened again. I'm awfully frustrated at this point, as the main reason behind going standalone was reliability. I do not drive the car much at all, but when I want to drive it, I want it to work. With last years issues and all the down time, I drove put only about 200 miles on it. 034 can't really find anything wrong with the unit, but it obviously keeps happening. The ecu worked fine for 2 plus years under the same conditions that it currently operates in (ie not alot of use). Everytime I call tech support I feel like I have the red headed step child of 034 ecus, as it always seems they think I have features/software that was included with my setup. I certainly don't want to have to ship the ecu across the country everytime I want to drive the car, and I don't really want to have to shell out for a new unit considering this one has ~1000 miles on it and I just don't drive the car that much.

van-
      got the stock mudguards and the add-on pep boys style mudflaps back on the van. I ended up just using hex head self tapping SS screws from inside the fender right into the stock guards to hold them on. Used some smaller SS screws to attach the flaps the guards (that is also how it was done before). I had to drill new holes for the passenger rear as the donor sheet metal I got for that corner was from a 2wd. It wish I had thought of the need earlier, as I was a bit hesitant to drill holes in metal that I had just spent so much time coating to avoid rust.

A6-
      the belly pan has turned out better the expected. Fits great and is easy to get in and out. It uses the factory attachment points.

Last step is to coat it with some water barrier coating to keep the moisture from killing it. I will probably also hit it with some spray paint as well.
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      05-26-2010 02:48 PM #106
      well the iserve part of the old vortex finally went down, taking all my photos with it. I have all the pictures somewhere, but because iserve renamed them, and I didn't get a chance to catalog stuff before I lost access to it, it's going to take a bit to get all the pictures rehosted and the links changed.
      Dave

Vehicles
      German Vans and sporty British stuff
      05-26-2010 03:17 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      well the iserve part of the old vortex finally went down, taking all my photos with it. I have all the pictures somewhere, but because iserve renamed them, and I didn't get a chance to catalog stuff before I lost access to it, it's going to take a bit to get all the pictures rehosted and the links changed.
      That sucks.

~McVanagon from the samba

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      05-27-2010 02:23 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      That sucks.
      Yup, especially for my van and convertible threads that were archived at the time of the swtich, and thus not converted, and therefore I was not able to pull them up to get one last "reference" look to figure out what needed to go where.

Anyway, I did work on some stuff this past weekend. I mentioned before the van had a torn inner cv boot on the front driver side as well as some loose cv bolts. That was my task for Saturday. Haven't really played around with the front drivetrain on the van yet, but I was told I could get the axle out without removing any suspension components. It quickly became apparent that was not going to be the case. After getting the axle nut off (thank you new impact gun) no amount of wiggling was going to get the axle out. I decided to undo the upper balljoint and the easiest way to do that was seperate it from the upper control arm with the two allen hold bolts. They were already rusted (replaced them 2 years ago -this thing seems to attract rust everywhere) so I used some heat on them first, but they did come out ok. Was able to get the axle out of the hub at that point, but could still not maneuver it around the sway bar endlink, so I had to undo that as well to get it out. I am forgetting my camera alot again these days, so phone pics will have to do.

The cv joint had alot of crap in it. I think the boot was gone last time I went offroad and it must have picked everything up then.

Instead of the normal boot-attached-to metal securing ring, the van uses a separate reusable securing ring, that the big side of the boot then fits over and is clamped to. It had taken a big whack at some point which required some reshaping.

And getting everything cleaned and regreased it went back together pretty easily except getting the swaybar endlinks back on. There wasn't enough thread on the endlink to get the nut on without compressing the bushings a ton and there was no easy way to do that. It took me probably 45 minutes messing with the passenger side to get it back together but a combination of a thinner washer and some of the vans own weight compressing the lower bushing (which was resting on a screwdriver resting on the ground) let the nut get enough thread to bite. I did use stainless hardware on the endlinks and the two balljoints bolts (no real load on those as the ball joint has a flange that takes the load).
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      06-01-2010 09:54 PM #109
      Rabbit -
      Ecu still won't turn on. Played around with it for 2 weeks trying to get it to wake up, but sent it back to 034 (again) this weekend. We shall see. Also installed some rubber impact strips on the small chrome eurobumpers. I was one of the (few?) lucky ones to get in on (and get delivery of) them when Cullen produced them a couple years back. The bumpers just came with black tape where the impact strips should be, and I have run them like that since then. The stickers were not meant to be permanent and were looking a little ratty at the ends, and I was looking for awhile got the actual impact strips anyway. Finally found some through crazyquiffs in England. They were not cheap and honestly, not worth what I paid considering they are really two strips of rubber with double stick tape on them (the originals used clips and had structure) but I am ok with how they look and it's a moot point now. I had explored several options of making/recreating my own, but it never panned out.
      tape-

rubber-

van-
      Washed it for the first time EVER since I have owned it. Need to get some better pictures with the other camera.

and did a belated winter tire/wheel changeover on a b5.
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      06-03-2010 09:56 PM #110
      update from 034 on the rabbit ecu. Seems they have found an issue. Never been so happy to hear that. Supposedly a reverse current diode was "hanging on by a thread" and only functioning when it was heated. They've replaced it and it's on it's way back to me. Definitely sounds like the culprit, excited to start using the car again!
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      06-08-2010 11:46 AM #111
      got a ****ty phone call sunday morning. I had lent the van to my father to move some stuff. He called and said "I am never driving your car again". I guess he was at an ATM, dropped his card, got out of the van to pick it up but didn't put the parking brake on. The van started to roll back, but he was pretty much trapped between it and the atm so he couldn't open the door. He was finally able to open the door, but couldn't stop the van before a pole took hold of the open door and bent it backwards. The door wouldn't even come close to closing and can't be saved I guess the good thing if any is that there is no damage anywhere else, problem is it's not easy locating a door, plus I want to try and find one in the same color since I can't get new paint to match the greatest.

Also got the belly pan on the wagon finally, and changed it's oil. It's done 5k miles in less then 3 months.

034 didn't ship the ecu until yesterday, so I won't have it for the weekend.
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      06-12-2010 05:33 PM #112
      Van-

Was hoping to locate a replacement door in the same color, but it just wasn't panning out finding anything in the northeast. Went to the place I got the rear lower corner from earlier and got a red door in good shape (except for a bit of surface rust in a small area on the outside panel). My biggest problem with having to repaint a door was the tape stripe in the middle. Didn't want to pull it off because a new stripe wouldn't match the faded stripe on the rest of the van and not sure if I will be able to paint around it, but I am going forward with the latter solution. We will see how it works.

The donor was a manual door, but all the power stuff from mine should swap over. Got the donor all broken down and sanded, the most time consuming part was getting the adhesive residue off from the weatherstriping.

and got both sides in primer today. The unpainted part is where the rust it, I've got a coat of rustbullet on that first before I hit it with the primer.
      Dave

06-12-2010 08:11 PM #113
      Nice work. Keep it coming.
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i'd lock this thread but i have no clue how...

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      06-15-2010 11:53 AM #114
      convertible ecu showed up yesterday, it does indeed work (I love how the car always fires right up ---when the ecu works), supposed to be a nice weekend, looking forward to getting it out on the road (the S5 too, haven't driven that in ~3 weeks).

The wagon's belly pan is holding up fine in stop and go boston rush hour traffic in 85 degree weather.
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      06-18-2010 01:32 PM #115
      No real updates here, but it's a blog, so why not share my thoughts.

So psyched to get home this afternoon. Weekend is supposed to be awesome, as I mentioned haven't driven the S5 in 3 weeks and the convertible since last fall, can't wait to let them stretch their legs
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      06-27-2010 07:43 PM #116
      been driving the A6 alot for work and had taken friday off as I was going to a friends wedding in NH. Came out friday morning and the A6 threw the low coolant warning and had lost a pretty significant amount. Got it home and it was definitely leaking from somewhere. I had to get going for the wedding, and really wasn't planning on spending time taking the car apart, but I knew I had to figure out what the problem was so I could get parts so I could fix it when I got back from the wedding on Sunday (work was taking me out of the state on Monday). Became pretty apparent that the radiator had developed a leak as there was dried pink stuff in the lower passenger side corner. Called around to find one a junk yard, hopped in the s5 and drove 30 minutes to pick it up, got there and the thing was covered in oil and honestly looked in no better shape then the one I was replacing. I bought it anyway, went out to the car, called German Auto Parts who told me they could have a brand new one to me the next day (saturday) for not much more money. Went back in and returned the used radiator, then bombed over to NH for the wedding. (Had a great weekend with the S5).
      Fast forward to today, the replacement was straightforward, although I spent the most time removing and reinstalling the tubes for the power steering cooler. Everything else was accessible and easy.

old one out

new one in

As I was putting everything back together, I noticed that the passenger side CV boot that was cracked and I was intending to replace at somepoint had split and was throwing grease everywhere. Again, wasn't really planning on doing it today, but decided it needed to be done. Job was pretty quick, although I spent a bunch of time screwing around with the boot clamps (I need to get the proper pliers to crimp those things).

Hopefully I will be able to get the van door finished and back together this coming weekend.
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      07-06-2010 10:53 AM #117
      checked the config on the convertible ecu this weekend, as it was surging a little on coast-down since it came back the 2nd time last year. Turns out, while everything else was fine, the fueling map had lost all it's input values, so the fuel map was based singularly on the scalar value, and was receving no "box-by-box" correction based on RPM and MAP values.

I hadn't checked it when it came back the first couple times because 034 said everything was preserved and it did start up and seem to run fine.

I did have a copy of my old map, so I uploaded that but did not get a chance to drive it yet. It did feel a little lackadaisical in the top end when I took it out a couple weeks ago, which would definitely be explained by this, it would have been running lean in the top end and rich at the lower end. Just another reason I am a fan of the 16v (when not on a version of CIS) they are tough little motors.
      Dave

18. 07-06-2010 01:11 PM #118
      You said you reprogrammed the DRL on the S5. You got some KITT business going on?

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      07-06-2010 03:01 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by GimmeUrQ View Post
      You said you reprogrammed the DRL on the S5. You got some KITT business going on?
      north american b8 platform cars with led drls dim the corresponding DRL when using a turn signal. Vag-com coding can change this so the DRL's don't "wink". In addition, I deactivated the front orange parking lights when running the lights in the parking light position (so it's just taillights and the LED's in front)
      Dave

07-06-2010 04:06 PM #120
      Can you show me the pics of the hide-a-plate in action. I guess I'm missing where it comes out and the operation of how it works.

Thanks,
      Chris

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      07-06-2010 04:45 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      Can you show me the pics of the hide-a-plate in action. I guess I'm missing where it comes out and the operation of how it works.

Thanks,
      Chris
      Did you miss the youtube link in the original post or are you looking for something else/more?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iGcav9OSHc
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      07-14-2010 12:04 AM #122
      well spraying metallic paint evenly out of a rattle can is not really possible, so after getting a couple color coats, wet sanding, clearing, more wetsanding and polishing, I was not happy enough with the results to put it on the car. My father offered to pay for a body shop to paint it, so I took him up on that and it is in process. I took the cover of the slider for color matching, and while it was off, got a couple more coats of rust bullet on the actually slider track, as it takes alot of abuse from the metal wheel and rusts pretty easily.
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      07-17-2010 01:04 PM #123
      Took delivery of this today. It is a surprise for the woman. Traded in her 03 focus which was a general pos. She has no idea this or anything like it was coming. More details later

Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      07-18-2010 11:30 PM #124
      Story on the q5, I have been thinking about replacing the woman's focus for awhile. It had 140k, probably could use a timing belt, and in general is pretty worn. Plus, she takes the dog alot of places, and I was not happy with it being in the back seat and bugging her while she drove. She of course, was perfectly happy to continue driving it. She was in Europe this past week and wanted me to look at a noise on the car. Instead of doing that I went to the volvo dealership to look at XC60s. They had a pretty sparse supply though because of the model year change, and they really couldn't find anything in new england with what I wanted on it (a 2010 (to get the incentives) 3.2 with nothing but the climate package and in a color other then gray/black/silver). While I did like the XC60's, they just couldn't provide what I was looking for.

So I went to the audi dealer to see what the deal on 2.0t Q5's was. They did not have any, and all the ones coming in were highly optioned. All I really wanted was AMI, bluetooth, and heated seats. The only Q5 they had on the lot was a loaded 2010 3.2 that was more then I was really looking for. Looked at tiguans but they have NO room in the back for a dog. That is when the told me about a 3.2 Q5 they had in back that was being transferred to another dealer. It was white (plus) and was pretty lightly optioned, bluetooth/homelink (plus), heated seats (plus), AMI (plus) and the panoramic roof (negative). They weren't actually sure if the other dealer had it sold or not, and they needed some kind of commitment from me in order to see if they could actually sell it. Running through things, the 3.2 was more power then I really wanted/needed, but I did like the car, so I told them I wanted it if they could get it.

They called later in the day and said I could have it and went in and placed a deposit. They actually took alot of crap from me (this is the dealer that I waited a year with for an S5 (that never actually came in) so I would like to think they were trying to make it up to me) and went through alot to make me happy.

Fast forward to yesterday, the woman is still in France, picked up her car to trade it in, haven't driven it in awhile, and was dismayed to see that the transmission was seriously slipping at all speeds in all gears. IN addition, the check engine light came on AS I was driving to the dealer (I swear they all know what I am trying to get rid of them). Nevertheless, everything went fine and I came home with the Q5. Put it where she left the focus and will wait to see her face/reaction when she gets home tomorrow (again, she has no idea this or anything resembling a car was coming her way).

My impressions of the car are very positive so far, obviously the interior is very familiar to me with the S5, but the seating position is totally opposite (the beltline on the s5 is high, and the seating position is VERY low, on the q5 you sit much higher above the beltline) so it is a much different view. One thing you notice right away is how big the outside mirrors are, to the point that it is almost disconcerting. The S5 mirrors are relatively big as well, but when combined with the additional size of the q5 mirrors and the different seating position, they almost seem to block forward vision. Although I didn't really want it, the panoramic sunroof is pretty cool ( I like sunroofs), only problem is that it does make the interior hot when it is sunny out. There is a perforated sunshade, but it doesn't block all the light and does not do a great job of blocking the heat. I understand people are tinting the rook further then it already is, we will have to see if that becomes a necessity even up here in Maine. One thing I think is very useful is the sliding rear seats, you can increase the space in the trunk or give people in the back more legroom depending on your needs. It's also quite quick. I didn't realize at first that it has 270hp, but it can definitely get up and go. Handling is very compact and although you can feel the height, it is pretty nimble overall. Interior needs no discussion, I am a big fan of Audi interiors, and this one, although a "base model" works for me as well.

In the end, it's all about how she likes it, which I don't think will be an issue. We shall see tomorrow.
      Dave

Vehicles
      '13 GLI, '14 Ram, '03 SN95 S/C, '15 KTM Duke 390
      07-18-2010 11:35 PM #125
      In to see how she likes the Q5.
      █ ♣ █....|....├┼┤....|....Wait, what? - Iroczgirl

For advertising information click HERE

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast