Got rid of the Vespa that was my commuter after crashing the Aprilia, finally managed to convince the wife that a small TU250x was the ticket by virtue of being more stable than the small-wheeled scooter. Plus she used to own one.
Anyway, got a used one, and quickly started screwing around with it:
- oil change
- removed rear seat and frame hoop
- removed rear pegs and brackets
- fabbed up a new exhaust hanger (was integrated into the peg bracket) out of aluminum stock
- changed front sprocket to 16T (from 15T)
- wrapped the header to ensure it deteriorates into nothingness
- rebuilt the front suspension, fresh oil, added washers
- put on fork boots while everything was off
- valve adjustment
- covered the headlight with yellow film just because
Still to do:
- change front fender to a shorty
- change rear fender to bobber or something
- change brake light
- change indicators (and reposition rear indicators)
- change mirrors
- change muffler to something else than the gigantic thing that's on there now
- fab a new chain guard
- paint the clutch cover and crank cover satin black (maybe?)
- repaint the tank and side panels (maybe?)
- find some damn tank knee pads that aren't terrible
- get some dual tires
Bike is dead easy to work on, although I did have to buy a new allen key sets so I'd have the 12mm and 17mm.... and that was the largest expense on parts.
Since we had some days without rain, dried out roads, and temps barely above 50 (not from here, cold kills me, sorry!) I... rode! Just short trips for lunch, took the Brammo (electric) since lunch isn't far enough for the motor to get warm on the others. Also, since we're still not to riding season I didn't want to haul a gas-burner out for a one-off trip and need to put them back in to hibernation immediately after.
finally got around to building the front end for the panhead.
6 over tubes
shaved and polished lowers
polished narrow 41mm trees
5" dog bones
chromed panhead split bar risers
still need to fab a new headlight mount so i can swap out the headlight but babysteps lol
that thing must be punishing to ride.
-Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog
I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
Found a broken saddlebag support the other day. Replaced it today, as well as my rear bleeder screw & re-bled the brakes.
From what I've read, these left-hand supports always break. Mine lasted 45K miles.
Discovered yesterday the run/kill switch on my Duc is intermittent. In run position, squeeze the housing, and the motor shuts off. Switch stays depressed in 'run' position, but if you push down firmly on the 'run' side you can hear the electrics come back alive. From what I've seen so far it can't be disassembled for cleaning so I'll be looking at picking up a used one.
Kicking myself for leaving it in the garage and not putting it in the house this winter.
Still unsure how I did it, but I stripped the plug hole on my oil pan. Last time I did the oil change I torqued to 15lbs. When breaking it loose this time, it completely snapped all the threads off from the oil pan. I've done at least a thousand oil changes in my life time and have never done this.
So, I ordered a new pan, gasket, plug, crush washer, and oil -- but I have rides I want to go on this weekend. In the interim, I picked up a +1 oversized plug and it worked great!
In celebration (and also to make myself feel better for being an idiot), I installed my new TST tail light:
Sorry for the crappy vertical video. Don't judge my messy garage.
Switch arrived Thursday, installed it that night, bike fired up proper and no amount of banging on the switch housing causes it to stall out. Before installation I took the opportunity to try to get inside with a wire brush and clean up the contacts, then loaded up the contacts plus the harness connector with dielectric grease, which I should be doing to the rest of the bike, anyway.
Then, went out for a ride yesterday, first run since she was put away for winter, which was flawless. Woke up with a sore lower back, of course!
Fender eliminators are always the right call.
Went on a 410 mile ride on Saturday, 200 of which was in a downpour. Made for a fun ride and extremely dirty bike.
Cleaned & Lubed the Chain
Scrubbed down the exhaust with some WD40
Cleaned the bike all over.
A clean Betty is a happy Betty.
I picked up a battery for the Shadow yesterday, should get it installed tonight. I'll finish dinking around getting the carbs tuned once I can reliably start it.
PO really shouldn't have touched them. They were badly out of synch just looking at them, no wonder it had the throttle response and idling character of a three week dead mouse.
I'll replace the clutch perch, one stock turn signal, then up for sale it goes, just in time for warm weather here. Shoot for the moon and accept reasonable offers.
PO really, really, REALLY shouldn't have touched the carbs.
Found my slow jet only screwed in two threads. TWO THREADS.
Now I get to redo the pilots, synch... might as well just do another rebuild so I'm not pulling them again when something else goes wrong.
Minor update on my R1100S:
The old windscreen's been needing replacement for.... aboutadecade. The surface lamination started slowly shrinking retreating from the edges. Then, large splits (again, just the surface glazing, not in the plex itself) that looked like someone traced through dust with their fingertip. Lately, it's been kind of all coming undone and pilling up, trying to clean it off just smears it around. Also, spiderweb cracks around the mounting holes, which were mostly a minor annoyance since they never got any bigger.
Hoping to get out Friday or Saturday to see where the wind blast and slipstream are directed.