Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
      Vehicles
      84 300sd 87 K-5 Blazer
      11-22-2010 12:01 AM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by crsmp5 View Post
      and i still wanna know how i helped funnee out...

well...starting from at least four years back.....

you hooked me up with a complete sunroof assembly when i bought my first diesel rabbit for 40 or somad dollars shipped when I needed it ever so badly

and also when I was converting my mk2 gli to diesel. I had lots of questions and we talked through pm's lots about it.

sorry you forgot. no christmas card for you
      Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      Damn you and your odd statehood.
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      We'll accept Canadians but draw the line at Texans.

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      11-22-2010 12:13 AM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by deathhare. View Post
      There was usable information. That being that this idea is just damn foolish. People shorten axles all the time. Im having to do it now.
      But people like me do it because there exists no axle to use otherwise.
      Yours can be had for next to nothing. Just run regular rabbit axles and swap flanges if you have to.
      I dunno bout foolish, maybe less desirable.. I have no junkyards with any vw's closer than 100mi so working with what I have is a better option. I'm sure they can be had for next to nothing there, the shipping would murder it though.. Also I have already been over the idea of running stock axles and swapping on 90mm flanges.. the 02A transmission does not accept them. A later 020 box can have 90mm flanges put in.. but not an 02A as far as I'm aware.

I need 100mm axles, and 100mm knuckles/hubs to make this work.

3. Banned
      Vehicles
      84 coupe, 90 b3 td wagon, 81 coupe, BURNT TOAST
      11-23-2010 03:19 PM #128
      ahhhh sunroof from 81 jetta sedan that i used to build my 81 coupe.. see too many of your posts to rember how ive helped.. but i know where you got the pieces from..

Vehicles
      91 GTI, 01 B5 wagon
      11-25-2010 12:08 AM #129
      you can grind your stock knuckles to accept outer 100mm cv's, shown here:

http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.php?t=42579

And although i havent tried it yet, im fairly certain you can swap the inner 100mm joint onto the rabbit 90mm axle shaft as well.

5. Banned
      Vehicles
      11-25-2010 10:25 AM #130
      hey now.. i suggested grinding the hubs for the 100mm joints.. sadly he still has to buy 100mm axels.. the inner joint cannot be swapped and yes he can get stff welded but i think he mises the right axel is hollow and weaking it may be a issue.. the solid left n so bad.. hollow right.. id be sketchy as id hae to see it crack/break..

but if his welder is free.. gets him going till he can buy a proper axel..

as far as do the outter joints fitting.. no idea.. have not gotten that far on mine.. but no matter what gotta make them fit so grind till they do..

Vehicles
      1962 DC, 03 GTI-D, 1986 Golf 24v Swap
      11-25-2010 11:12 AM #131
      I have been reading this for a while, I try to use what I can from donor cars to save money, use OEM parts, ect... But if you have to cut and weld two axles together, even if its free, you are putting yourself in a corner sooner or later.

when your axle wears out, a boot tears or something happens, you are stuck buying one or both of your axles just to remake one axle. Where as you can spend 125 once, and have a new set w a lifetime warranty. (my local parts stores offer lifetime axle replacement, I have bought a set of axles once for every generation of car I own, now I buy no more) They may be cheaper or "junk" but I am running some oreilly specials on my lysholmed rabbit, if one breaks, I get a new one. I ran orielly axles on a ALH TDI with 400ft/lbs, it did break them when I took it to the track 3 or 4 days in a row, but I found that acceptable for free axles. I had raxles in there before that and they were guaranteed but when they broke it took almost 2 weeks to get a replacement set..

My long winded point is that spend the money once for something that you can go get ANYWHERE almost, instead of having a white elephant for a wearout part.
      TNEUROS Home for all TN EURO enthusiast

Mk2 24v Westy "24 Karat" Just a grocery getter, with alittle growl.. FS thread!!

7. Banned
      Vehicles
      11-25-2010 02:54 PM #132
      hmmm if you look up my 1st post on the axel thing i said same thing abt buying some from zone or what ever.. yes they poor quality but the mk3 joints could be swapped in as all i need are the shafts..

next id use a belt sander with 40 grit before a grinder so the inner piece is flat to fit the 90mm shaft.. BUT i hink a 90mm shaft and 100mm shaft has a slightly different length too.. but cannot confirm yet.. think th e100mm is shorter..

how does weldign axel prevent you from swapping joints/boots? just modding shafts? i do not see a issue on th eleft short solid one.. my worry is the long one thats hollow..

modding the knuckle is still more simple then buying/finding 100mm set.. dont trust the bst people.. your bound to buy a set fo non 100mm ones and have to spend more.. with him in canada its just that more difficult.. the money spentto buy/ship used ones could be spent at a machine shop and get the old ones milled for less IMO.. againh i am not to this point on mine.. but how i plan to do it as no yards with late mk1s here..

vr6/5bolt different splines.. 4s same..

quit pissing up thread..

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      11-25-2010 08:16 PM #133
      pissing up threads is fun, and even more fun when i get a giggle and some good information out of it at the same time

Luckily I am NOT the one to dive in to a project then figure **** out.. I figure it out months in advanced, then dive in. So listening to the banter back and forth while I accumulate all the best data, really works for me lol.

I went around today to the local part stores and asked what i could get in terms of axles and warranties. My buddy Andy down at Garage Supply gave me the best price for a lifetime warranty axle, with them ringing ~$130 an axle. And ZERO hassle to get a replacement if I ever need.. The store will deal with me and the replacement then go after the supplier for reimbursement .

SPINDLES! I have seen some good ideas being thrown around in here, and I think I like the machining the old ones to accept the 100mm the best.. and probably cheapest.. Have them press in some new bearing while they are at it. Voila. Clean em up and hit them up with some paint, be rockin'.

That will cover a giant piece of my swap issue.. After that I just have to cut the floor for the shifter box to be mounted (Should I mount it from the top down and run the cables through the firewall as to keep them away from my future 2.75-3" exhaust?) Have heard some good things about doing this.. I'm a big guy, so this will allow me to mount it with a bit of an offset towards the passenger side of the car for one, and for two allow the shifter to be up high and comfortable..

And for the cluster, the mounting tabs appear to be almost in the same position and the clusters hand in hand comparison seems to be somewhat the same size.. It should fit right in the dash with minimal to no cutting I would think.

Vehicles
      07 Xterra
      11-25-2010 09:32 PM #134
      Im doing a B4 Passat TDI right now in my 84 rabbit and using 16v rocco axles from Napa. They also said I could bring the originals in for money back but I didnt have them so I brought them the ones from the Passat, they didnt know the difference.

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      11-27-2010 09:07 PM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubmk4 View Post
      Im doing a B4 Passat TDI right now in my 84 rabbit and using 16v rocco axles from Napa. They also said I could bring the originals in for money back but I didnt have them so I brought them the ones from the Passat, they didnt know the difference.
      Assume your running some cabby spindles?

11. 11-27-2010 11:29 PM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by 8v-of-fury View Post
      Assume your running some cabby spindles?
      Not necessary...as already stated.
      Its very easy to clearance the rabbit spindles for the 100mm axles.
      20 minutes with a die grinder and your done.

12. 11-27-2010 11:37 PM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by A1steaksauce View Post
      screw you, you're all wrong about global warming and having three of the four mounts in a VR swap bolt in....wrong wrong wrong...

errrr, what thread am i in again?
      Its only two bolt in. I had to cut and weld the front one too. Took forever....like a whole hour.

13. 11-27-2010 11:42 PM #138
      a whole hour working on a car? F that....sounds way too much like work. i'm gonna go buy a MK4 and a vag-com. will P-slots poke?

An hour, thats nothing. I once had to get dirty too.

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      12-08-2010 12:17 AM #139
      screw you, you're all wrong about global warming and having three of the four mounts in a VR swap bolt in....wrong wrong wrong...

errrr, what thread am i in again?
      An hour, thats nothing. I once had to get dirty too.
      You two crack me up lol

Just ordered some parts off of Rock Auto, and I highly recommend them! Ordered the parts Friday (3rd) afternoon and had them by Tuesday morning (7th)! They processed and shipped on a weekend! Getting my full respect, I will be a return customer for sure.

I ordered Monroe Sensa-Trac struts/shocks, Monroe front upper mounts, and control arm bushings. I ordered them and had them shipped to Canada because even with the shipping and handling charges of $50 its still A DISGUSTING amount cheaper than getting them locally

I am torn between whether or not to pick up some sport springs, or just use my stock springs for now.. I can then use that extra cash to get the lifetime warrantied axles... Seems better spent money really. I will be taking the spindles to a machine shop to have them grind clearance for the 100mm outer joints.. as I don't really feel entirely comfortable grinding something that is very crucial to safety.

Gonna order new control arms, and tie rods, already got some oem BJ's and bushings. Will have to get the springs off and see whats up before i decide whether or not they are going to be re-used.

This will be done over the winter.. as the engine swap will have to wait until Spring at the least.

15. 12-08-2010 12:43 AM #140
      If you have an air compressor and a die grinder you can grind the spindles yourself in no time.
      You can even leave them on the car.
      Anyway, the majority of the grinding really needs to be done on the outer CV, not the spindle.

Vehicles
      '50 Dodge PilotHouse, '52 DKW 125W, '76 Rabbit Ocean Bleu X2,EA Cabriolet,'77 & '80 Scirocco,'01 JSW
      12-08-2010 09:05 AM #141
      who uses bolt-in parts these days? so 1999!

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      12-08-2010 08:37 PM #143
      If you have an air compressor and a die grinder you can grind the spindles yourself in no time.
      You can even leave them on the car.
      Anyway, the majority of the grinding really needs to be done on the outer CV, not the spindle.
      Grinding the CV? I'm not so sure they'd own up to their lifetime warranty deal, if i take a chunk outta them with a grinder eh?

if he takes an axle and spindle to the machine shop and hands them over to them they can just clearance the spindle and all will be well with the world

good idea especially if he's not comfortable with doing it himself.
      I like to keep world order especially with this crowd lol

Quote Originally Posted by saddest6day66 View Post
      who uses bolt-in parts these days? so 1999!
      lmao, I need some bolt in stuff on this swap lol don't want every piece to be custom! lol its gonna be a driver!

Also, Shannon your quite the sexy-trendy-model

18. 12-08-2010 09:35 PM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by 8v-of-fury View Post
      Grinding the CV? I'm not so sure they'd own up to their lifetime warranty deal, if i take a chunk outta them with a grinder eh?
      Its very minimal and in no way hurts their strength.
      You're gonna either have to do it or flush more money and pay someone to do it for you.

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      12-08-2010 09:44 PM #145
      Its very minimal and in no way hurts their strength.
      You're gonna either have to do it or flush more money and pay someone to do it for you.
      I don't have a die grinder to do it with anyway, so either way i gotta pay money to get it done.. Buy a grinder, buy new spindles, or pay a machine shop.

I mean how long will it take? 30 minutes of their time tops? so ~$30? meh.

A1 have you seen any 100mm spindles your way?

Vehicles
      '78 Rabbit C, '91 Golf Country, '92 Porsche 965, '07 BMW 116i RHD, TDI's
      12-08-2010 10:01 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by ronnie_v View Post
      Around here, people make the engine an M-TDI. They lose all the electronics, and just mount an mechanical pump. Of an old volkswagen LT, i believe.

I would recommend against this ... especially because you have a complete donor. This forum is okay for diesels, but you'll probably find better tips and swap info on tdiclub.

As far as your tranny and axle woes ... why not just keep the Mk1 trans? Get the TDI in and running. Road test it and see if you really need to go through all the hassle. Chances are, you'll enjoy it just fine.

Should be nice. Good luck!
      Last edited by biturbocurious; 12-08-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Vehicles
      GB's Caddy, Dave's VR6 caddy
      12-08-2010 11:45 PM #147
      You can use any Mech pump, TD or otherwise

Car will have not power though.

Giles wants like 1200 to do a hybrid M-TDI set up that will work, and fuel.

It's a some coin, but no having electronics to muck with is worth the expense.

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      12-08-2010 11:51 PM #148
      i thought you were just going to take your set to a machine shop to have them fit the 100mm axles?

i can hunt down a set of rocco/cabriolet 100mm spindles if you'd rather go that way instead....just let me know what you for sure decide
      Well sh!!!t man, I have been tossing a few ideas around.. its gonna cost the same to either have you find/ship/pay for some 100mm.. or get a shop to do my '81 spindles.. I mean how much has to come off to get them to fit? Aren't the older spindles something like 82mm?? I think I have read this somewhere.. any confirmation?

Vehicles
      '50 Dodge PilotHouse, '52 DKW 125W, '76 Rabbit Ocean Bleu X2,EA Cabriolet,'77 & '80 Scirocco,'01 JSW
      12-09-2010 09:11 AM #149
      100mm spindles aren't that expensive used. maybe try and nab a pair from the cabby classifieds off of a later cabby that is being parted. I think they started putting 100mm axles on all cabriolets 87-ish and later IIRC

24. 12-10-2010 12:12 AM #150

Open the tapered inner land so that it is 2mm greater in diameter on the outer edge. Cut a 64mm diam plate from aluminum and use it to protect the bearing from damage and grindings, hold it in place with the circlip. Do dry fits with the joint to check clearance. Might need to remove a very small amount of metal from the very thin outermost land, too.

Grind off the bottom of the loop tab to match the later style bearing circlip, if you have the early circlip style.
      Last edited by chickenfriend; 12-10-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast