Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta 2.5
      12-29-2010 03:27 PM #1
      I have a 2005.5 MK5 Jetta. It has a grand total of 71k miles on it. The CEL recently came on, and through a P0016 error. Cam and Crank timing sensors reporting an error. I took it in. Well, the timing chain has totally worn down the gear on the intake cam shaft. The tensioner is all the way out, and the chain is stretched beyond use. This is screaming engineering fail. Has this happened to anyone else? I took it to a well respected local euro garage, and paid $3k to have them fix it. They replaced the timing chain, all of the guides, gaskets, chain, and gears. It runs like a champ now, but I shouldn't have had to drop $3k on a 5 year old car that has been impeccably cared for.

Would love to know if this is happening to anyone else, and if there is an active recall or case with VW, or class action suit starting. I want my $3k back.
      2005.5 Jetta 2.5

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta 2.5
      12-30-2010 12:03 PM #2
      Anyone?
      2005.5 Jetta 2.5

Vehicles
      MKVI GLI + Rabbit
      12-30-2010 01:38 PM #3
      you need to call VWoA and file a report with them. also should have taken it to a dealership for a full diagnosis. since it was done by a third party, VW may not trust their diagnosis of the issue...

Vehicles
      MKV Rabbit & Lexus 3GS
      12-30-2010 01:52 PM #4
      VW does not seem to know how to do timing chains. Go look in the W8 engine forum. Passat's W8 is a timing chain time-bomb nightmare. I believe they have a 100,000 mile club for anyone lucky enough to have made it.

OP, I have not heard of any other 2.5 timing chain problems, but my wife has an 06 Rabbit with 55k mi on the clock and am interested to see where this goes.

This is news if VW truly does have problems on the 2.5. Their push for moar sales will fail miserably in the US if the 2.5 fails.

Vehicles
      2012 MR Beetle 2.5 5MT, 2013 RS JSW TDI 6MT
      12-30-2010 02:00 PM #5
      This is not unheard of on 2005.5 and 2006 2.5L engines. Look around the 2.5 Technical Forum and you'll see a few stories here and there.

- Jeremy.

By the way, consider a $3K bill as getting off fairly easily. Some people who take their cars to VW for this issue are hit with a $5K bill to completely replace the engine.

Aaaaand, one other thing...it's pretty standard for an engine that's using timing chains to need them replaced around 100-120K miles. The reason it's so expensive on these engines is because there are two different chains, and in order to replace one of them, the transmission needs to be separated from the engine. While you were only at 71K miles, the day for chain replacement was bound to come sooner or later.
      Last edited by jtrujillo86; 12-30-2010 at 03:16 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

Vehicles
      2005.5 Jetta VE (orignal owner)
      12-30-2010 07:30 PM #6
      Bummer.. I've got 92K miles on my 2005.5 2.5 and haven't had an issue, nor expect to, until it comes time to replace it.

No, there will not be a class action suit.. especially if/since failures seem to occur OUTSIDE warranty covered mileage. I also imagine that, while forum posters would be the most vocal, that actual statistical failure may be small.

The sad part is that when you read a forum, it seems EVERY maker in the world has an issue with their products.

Vehicles
      12-30-2010 07:49 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by racerd911 View Post
      Bummer.. I've got 92K miles on my 2005.5 2.5 and haven't had an issue, nor expect to, until it comes time to replace it.

No, there will not be a class action suit.. especially if/since failures seem to occur OUTSIDE warranty covered mileage. I also imagine that, while forum posters would be the most vocal, that actual statistical failure may be small.

The sad part is that when you read a forum, it seems EVERY maker in the world has an issue with their products.
      What he said ^

- Jeremy.
      It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      12-30-2010 09:18 PM #8
      This is one of the said resolved issues in the 170hp 2008+ 2.5l.

Along with this. I have seen make 2005.5/2006 Jettas with 125k+ and I have seen one with 158k. I know the 158k chains never has issues.

9. 12-30-2010 10:49 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by jtrujillo86 View Post
      Aaaaand, one other thing...it's pretty standard for an engine that's using timing chains to need them replaced around 100-120K miles. The reason it's so expensive on these engines is because there are two different chains, and in order to replace one of them, the transmission needs to be separated from the engine. While you were only at 71K miles, the day for chain replacement was bound to come sooner or later.
      It's pretty standard for a timing belt to last 100k. Timing chains are designed to exceed the life of the engine. At least on engines from other manufacturers they do. Nissans are not make from rocket science yet their basic V6 with timing chain routinely lasts 300k+ with little more than a bit of noise from worn tensioners.

Now that I own a 2.5L (3 hours so far) I guess I need to learn how to dig in and inspect the condition of these things before the damage becomes ugly.

Vehicles
      01-03-2011 08:41 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by dgeesaman View Post
      It's pretty standard for a timing belt to last 100k. Timing chains are designed to exceed the life of the engine.
      Well, I can think of a handful of cars that have chains and guides that need replacing. One that comes to mind first is the 2.8L VR6 engine...

- Jeremy.

11. 01-03-2011 09:01 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by jtrujillo86 View Post
      Well, I can think of a handful of cars that have chains and guides that need replacing. One that comes to mind first is the 2.8L VR6 engine...

- Jeremy.
      While true, I would describe that as unfortunate rather than standard maintenance for timing chains on engines by all manufacturers.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      04-11-2012 09:32 PM #12
      here is a quick vid I took of a 2.5 with guide noise: 106k miles
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.