KilometerMagazine.com - A rallye Golf limited in your neighborhood
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    1. 02-25-2011 07:47 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      Just so you guys know. You can send the file to VWMS (either Germany or UK) to verify if its real or not. They won't tell you any specifics but give you a yes or no answer.

Another route would be to contact Julien (Idorap) and see if he can get it verify and maybe even can access various files. He is the only person i know thats close to VWMS then any other person i know as his pop's worked for them back in the day and he's building a VWMS replica using original VWMS parts right down to a new wire harness (search his name for his build thread)

@ marek
      Did you notice anything different about the engine & charger compared to a standard 16 & G60 charger. I'm wondering if VWMS supplied the engines or did VW pull them off the line. i know their engines are stamped by them and don't have the usual stamp. They all usually have VWMS p/n to. Limiteds used special blocks. 3G? Limited runs Nickel plated pistons, special rings and a VWMS head spacer. (10.8:1 to 8.8:1), Special cams. I'm curious to know the cam spec's too
      Nope, the engine and charger are the same. Engine block is stamped 3G, but aside from that it doesn't differ from a PL/KR (1.8 16V). I've had both side by side and the 3G completely apart and could not find any difference apart from the pistons which are the same as AAN (5cyl 20V turbo like in urS4/urS6). They are not nickel plated and there is no head spacer. The pistons give it the lower compression. Cams are stock KR cams. Crank is the regular 1.8 8V/16V. I have a VWMS parts list for this engine with the part numbers somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up and post some part #'s.

2. 02-25-2011 07:58 AM #102
      Great job!! The car looks amazing!
      "I'm Johlsson, what more can I say..."

Quote Originally Posted by vwstadt, bout' my little Sofine
      Not since I was 8years old and just seen my first Playboy have I been so hypnotized by something. F'ing gorgeous.

3. 02-25-2011 09:01 AM #103
      awesome job! really cool motor and car combo!

Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      02-25-2011 04:47 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by marek View Post
      Nope, the engine and charger are the same. Engine block is stamped 3G, but aside from that it doesn't differ from a PL/KR (1.8 16V). I've had both side by side and the 3G completely apart and could not find any difference apart from the pistons which are the same as AAN (5cyl 20V turbo like in urS4/urS6). They are not nickel plated and there is no head spacer. The pistons give it the lower compression. Cams are stock KR cams. Crank is the regular 1.8 8V/16V. I have a VWMS parts list for this engine with the part numbers somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up and post some part #'s.
      pretty cool info. I'd like to see that

if it helps at all I have a VWMS parts book in PDF form from sometime in 88 (all fwd, but the 16v is mentioned IIRC).

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      02-25-2011 05:45 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by marek View Post
      It was possible that the engine was changed later in the builds. If VWMS supplied the engines for the Limiteds then they are not the same as the standard 16v in the sense VW sent pallets of un-honed heads & blocks. There's possibilty that VW supplied the engine also. VW was all about cutting cost so it's cheaper to send 71 engines over to Hannover then having VWMS Port out new heads as they were built to US standards. The game is to go all out knowing the exec's will cut down. This happened to Zonker. VWMS sent it over with a special engine only for Calloway to replace it with a standard one (due to blowing it) calloway went all out, so much that it wasn't cost effective to make it..even with FWD.

It's to talk to someone that actually had one apart. It could be possible that the first one or two were different and the production models have standard parts. It was published by VW Power that the one they drove had these parts and it was a VWMS demo Limited they were driving. VWMS was all about drive-ability with their road cars.

People tend to think of VWMS as the race division of VWaG but they did a whole lot more. They restored all the cars in the VW musuem and some of the older ones at the Audi Museum. They did special orders meaning you could order a 16v G60 in any body if you had the money. Thet even built the support vans that followed all their race teams (130hp LT van FTW) and most important. They were the think tank. They were coming up with many combinations that never seen the light of day. The offical title was "Special Edition department".

I have a bunch of VWMS, Seat Motorsport & Audi Sport p/n's on PDF as well.

I'll post up most of what i have but i've pretty much have a feel on what VWMS was doing between 85 & 95 (when they changed the program). Knowing VWMS, i highly doubt the Limiteds got a standard 16v especially when VWMS has finer tolerance then the cars coming out the factory. Keep in mind these were all hand built including the engine. This goes with any hand built cars.
      Everything VR6Turbo & Supercharged The world is ours!!
      Follow us on Instagram @ Everything_VR6turbo_SC
      FaceBook: Carlitus Christensen Sr. - Instagram: @ThatDreadLife - Twitter: @ThatDreadLife

Vehicles
      02-25-2011 05:58 PM #106
      Dreadz, whatever you've been smoking, please pass it

7. 02-26-2011 11:50 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      I have a bunch of VWMS, Seat Motorsport & Audi Sport p/n's on PDF as well.

I'll post up most of what i have but i've pretty much have a feel on what VWMS was doing between 85 & 95 (when they changed the program). Knowing VWMS, i highly doubt the Limiteds got a standard 16v especially when VWMS has finer tolerance then the cars coming out the factory. Keep in mind these were all hand built including the engine. This goes with any hand built cars.
      I've been to VWMS 5 times between 91-94 as my cousin lives about 500m away from where they used to be headquartered in Hannover, to buy stuff as it was really cheap compared to what it cost here. I was even showed around out back on 3 of those visits.

Here is a tid bit for you. All engines and cars are hand assembled by all manufacturers. Robots can't assemble a block or cylinder head so it is all done by hand at the factory. Regardless whether it is a Ferrari or a Ford. Only difference being that at AMG for example one guy assembles the whole engine whereas at Honda it will be done on an assembly line and many people will assemble one engine. Robots also done assemble bolt on body panel, or seats or any interior/exterior trim. So all cars are hand assembled.

As for tolerances and such. Sorry. Most parts are regular VW/Audi parts, aside from the head which is a work of art (the porting work is gorgeous), exhaust manifold and some other VWMS specific parts like the lower belt pulley. I measured the bores and such and they did not differ in any way from a PL/KR 1.8 block dimensions.

8. 07-24-2011 08:40 AM #108
      Hi Guys, here is Andi from Austria, Owner of Ltd.060 and the Homepage http://www.vw-racing.org.

Nice to read the story and history of Limited 062, i know this car many years, i thought it was 1995/96 as i read that the original Limited was wrecked and the engine rebuild in a 3 doors shell with all the original parts and shell of the Limited!

I had 2 advertise of the Limited 062, that you can see on my website!

Maybe i will update Ltd.062 if the owner gives me the ok to do so, i look forward to hear from you!
      If you are interessted i have the original software of the 235bhp Version of the Golf Limited that also was available from VW-Motorsport in order of customer choice!

Maybe you can sent me also the engine Number, so i can check if Ltd.062 was the original Car of this engine!

kind regards from Austria Andi

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1989 Golf GTI 16v 2dr Helios blue
      07-27-2011 07:21 AM #109

Vehicles
      Cars from the other century
      07-27-2011 06:10 PM #110
      How it sits now:

Waterfest 17

Vehicles
      07-27-2011 06:11 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Eggerson View Post
      Hi Guys, here is Andi from Austria, Owner of Ltd.060 and the Homepage http://www.vw-racing.org.

Nice to read the story and history of Limited 062, i know this car many years, i thought it was 1995/96 as i read that the original Limited was wrecked and the engine rebuild in a 3 doors shell with all the original parts and shell of the Limited!

I had 2 advertise of the Limited 062, that you can see on my website!

Maybe i will update Ltd.062 if the owner gives me the ok to do so, i look forward to hear from you!
      If you are interessted i have the original software of the 235bhp Version of the Golf Limited that also was available from VW-Motorsport in order of customer choice!

Maybe you can sent me also the engine Number, so i can check if Ltd.062 was the original Car of this engine!

kind regards from Austria Andi
      PM sent

Vehicles
      VR6-ITB, 2.0T, 2ZR-FE
      07-27-2011 08:20 PM #112
      Car looks fantastic.

I hope it remains in your possession and in this condition for years to come!

How did you enjoy the drive down to WF in it?
      Last edited by mushroom_curry; 07-27-2011 at 08:32 PM.
      dasjettakartell - transcend trend - connoisseurism before consumerism

Vehicles
      '96 24v VR6 Golf
      07-27-2011 10:48 PM #113
      i knew about this car but just saw this thread. amazing work! a truly rare creation.

Vehicles
      I quit counting.
      07-27-2011 11:12 PM #114
      this thread delivers!

Love the story. Love the content. Love VWMS!
      Built > Bought
      58 Beetle | 79 Rabbit 20vT | 84 GTI TDI |84 GTI 16vT |12 Golf TDI ----89 325i | 99 QCSB Ram Cummins | 02 Burb 4x4 2500

Vehicles
      07-28-2011 08:00 AM #115
      Thanks again everyone

Vehicles
      07-28-2011 08:02 AM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by mushroom_curry View Post
      Car looks fantastic.

I hope it remains in your possession and in this condition for years to come!

How did you enjoy the drive down to WF in it?
      I enjoyed every minute of the 8 hours it took me to drive down to WF. No issues what so ever. All I managed to get was a speeding ticket
      Last edited by 16vgee60; 07-28-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Vehicles
      '15 Audi SQ5, '91 GTI 16V
      07-30-2011 01:59 PM #117
      I saw this car at Waterfest, although I didn't realize what it was at the time! I just kept thinking "Why isn't this in the show field, it's better than everything else in there??".

I must have drooled over it for 10 minutes while I was wandering around the lot:

-Brett.

Vehicles
      07-30-2011 08:48 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by bhaney View Post
      I just kept thinking "Why isn't this in the show field, it's better than everything else in there??".
      I tried to go with it in the show field but since I was not pre-registred they wouldn't let me go...

Vehicles
      07-30-2011 08:51 PM #119
      It's never worth it to show. Hell it's not even worth it to exhibit. They're both just paid parking, a little closer to the action.

Vehicles
      09-18-2011 05:35 PM #120
      Though I'd post an update of all the few things I've done so far in order to complete the car for H20.

Starting off with a custom X-haust running from the dual down pipe 'til the end with single outlet (my regret as I wanted a duel outlet to make it look like OEM. Will work on that over the winter).
      Big thanks to a fellow dubber who did the welding and instalation of the exhaust for me as I suck big time at welding.

This is how it sounds:

Then I also got myself a VDO boost gauge as well as a SWG vent pod in order to blend things in. pretty happy of the general look at the end. And The G-lader is pushing proudly 11 PSI of boost.

Was lucky enough to get my hands on a VWM shifter knob and boot in a descent condition

And just because I feel like it and also because it took me a few hours of clean up to get the car ready for H20. Here is a walk around of the car:

Last edited by 16vgee60; 09-18-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Vehicles
      KTM
      09-18-2011 05:47 PM #121
      just amazing...
      In 50 years period i will buy this car
      .:Let no man who is not a VAG owner judge the elements of my ride:.

Vehicles
      '03 Wagon TDI, '16 GLI Autobahn 6MT
      09-18-2011 08:27 PM #122
      cant wait to see this car @ h2o
      Quote Originally Posted by ennui_delphian View Post
      Don't anger canadiun lesbian...

23. Member
      Vehicles
      95 urS6, 92 golf, 84 rabbit, 09 hypermotard, corrados
      09-19-2011 07:43 AM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by Greg_J View Post
      cant wait to see this car @ h2o