KilometerMagazine.com - What Did You Do To Your Bicycle Today Thread.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354 LastLast
    Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1341
      Vehicles
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze, 2001 Hongda Oddity, 2016 Raleigh Merit Competition
      02-25-2017 11:09 AM #1301
      I was debating buying a new mtb or rebuild my 2003 Giant Rincon and I decided to do the latter as I never did a bike tear-down before and it would be a good learning experience. I started by removing the ancillary parts and the front fork. I learned it has loose ball bearings in the headset and took off the bottom race with a flathead screwdriver which is generally advised against, ha. I cannot take off the cranks myself and I don't know what to do with the drivetrain. It has the stock 3x8 Alivio groupset which is incredibly relaible but not particularly quick. I don't know if I should get a new 3x8, go to 2x10 (if it will fit), or what. The fork I am getting is aRockShox Recon Silver which is about $190. I would like the groupset to stay under $200. I think the outcome can be a really nice build and I get to keep the frame I've been using since I started riding. Aside from that it's getting new tires, pads, and maybe a new, wider handlebar.

Some terrible phone pictures:

Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 2014

Vehicles
      Ghetto35
      02-28-2017 04:07 PM #1302
      The 29x2.0 S-works Fast Trak on the back of the Lynskey has been living on borrowed time (it has about a million Stan's-filled, seeping holes in the sidewalls), so I took advantage of a 25% off sale at Nashbar: 2.2 and 2.4 Conti X-King Protections ordered. I wanted a 2.2 Race King for the back, but they run wide and the internet says they won't fit in my frame. Conversely, the X-King runs narrow, so they're more like 2.1 and 2.3.

We'll see if I like Continental MTB tires as much as I do their road tires. For $34 out of pocket for the pair, I figured it was worth a gamble.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 TDI Jetta Wagon, 2004 Golf R32
      03-06-2017 09:47 AM #1303
      I bought a few used things on Pinkbike recently:

Full X01 groupset minus crank:

Shimano M785 Brakeset:

X01 is going on my fatbike and will get paired with some SRAM Guides soon, XT brakes are going on my hardtail crosscountry.

Vehicles
      Ghetto35
      03-07-2017 08:07 AM #1304
      ^ Good deal. I really like the 785s on my hardtail.

Speaking of brakes, I watched a video from GMBN yesterday about how to firm up brake levers. I usually just take off the reservoir screw and slowly pump the lever several times to get bubbles out, and add fluid to top it off. That works pretty well. The GMBN suggestion was use an allen wrench or similar to tap tap tappy from the caliper up the line and to the reservoir, and to do it a few times. I didn't get a whole lot of additional bubbles, but a handful of small ones did pop up.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 TDI Jetta Wagon, 2004 Golf R32
      03-07-2017 06:49 PM #1305
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      ^ Good deal. I really like the 785s on my hardtail.
      I'm pretty pumped about the brakes. Only have M395 or something like that on my X-Caliber. Not stellar on longer descents.

Scored a M980 XTR rear shifter yesterday too. Also for the hardtail. Between the brakes and the shifter I only spent $200CDN. Should make a load of a difference on the bike. (X01 groupset was about $120CDN, needs b tension plate)

Vehicles
      2011 Fozzy/98 Legacy Wagon
      03-07-2017 06:50 PM #1306
      Started putting on a Rawland Radioverks Rando front rack only to realize that 1" P clamps are too big and 3/4" are too small. Waiting for my 7/8" ones to arrive.

Vehicles
      Ghetto35
      03-08-2017 08:44 AM #1307
      Quote Originally Posted by dorkage View Post
      I'm pretty pumped about the brakes. Only have M395 or something like that on my X-Caliber. Not stellar on longer descents.

Scored a M980 XTR rear shifter yesterday too. Also for the hardtail. Between the brakes and the shifter I only spent $200CDN. Should make a load of a difference on the bike. (X01 groupset was about $120CDN, needs b tension plate)
      Good choice. I have an M980 on my hardtail, and it's a very good shifter. The performance difference between that and the XT 780 on my Top Fuel is pretty apparent. They were going for $50-something on Jenson, but now they're back up to $75. I had Deore hydraulics on the Top Fuel, and yeah, the M785s are quite a lot more suited to fast trail riding. Better feel, better power, less fade. You might want to upgrade the rotors as well. There are mixed opinions about Ice Techs, but I think they're great.

After another ride on the X-Kings, I'm not really digging them for the trails around here. The 2.2 (or 1.9-2.0 in reality) grips well in some situations, but the ride quality is pretty poor. I blame the car-tire-like sidewalls. To make it somewhat comfy and not bounce all over the trail, pressures need to be on the low side, and then it bottoms on the rim over roots and rocks. The 2.4 (or 2.2) up front doesn't seem to jive with my riding style either, so I swapped that to the back and put my 2.2 Ardent Race back up front. The rear is a really tight fit (~5mm clearance), but is quite voluminous. The sidewall thickness and wheel/frame flex may make that not work on the trail, but I'mma try. If not, I can't decide if I want to get another Ardent Race (2.35 maybe for the front) or just get another S-Works Fast Trak 2.0. The 2.0 S-Works is a touch wider than the Conti 2.2, and is more comfy and grippier.

I also swapped out my 110mm stem for my old 90mm road stem, just to see what it'd do. I'm not sure if it's due to the X-King tread voids or having marginally less weight over the front end, but the front end seemed less stable/more slidey in fast, loose turns.

8. Banned
      03-09-2017 09:59 AM #1308
      Changed out the +/- 8 degree 100mm OEM stem for the OEM SL style in a 90mm with more drop. Need to take pics. Doggie would be proud: such slam, much pro look, such wow. Feels good. I also adjusted the seat forward a little and gave it a little tilt off of zero. Feels so much better now. Felt fine before but a nice difference. Who cares if the "seat isn't back and perfectly flat", now it is more comfy.

Also, the point of the new stem was to be able to fit TT bars for Ironman at some point. The stem that was on there wouldn't have worked too well for that, too vertical. I did buy the TT bars. I'll try it out once I know if I'm going to do anything or not.

9. 03-09-2017 11:07 AM #1309
      Put some new rubber on the Inglis single speed the other day, and cleaned her up. Much better!

Ames Nowell MTB by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4dr DSG, 02 4Runner SR5 4x4
      03-09-2017 09:38 PM #1310
      My Garmin Forerunner 410 finally couldnt hold a charge more than 30mins, so decided to get a dedicated biking computer. Had been looking at something under $150 so my options were the low-end (or refurb) Garmin, CatEye, Lezyne, or Sigma. But what caught my eye was the Bryton Rider 530 and 330. Checked all the boxes without having to spend $300-450 when I all need is to connect my ANT+ devices, easily upload files to Strava and have solid GPS tracking. Ended up with the 330 so it could fit on my short stem without a out-front mount. With a coupon and cashback, got my Bryton Rider 330 for $89. Ive seen it for $100 on Amazon once in a while: https://www.amazon.com/Bryton-Rider-330-Cycling-Computer/dp/B01KGNW814/

Use: The menu system isn't the best but once you spend time setting up the device, your not really getting into the menu system. Like how you have full customization of the screens. There's 5 pages with up to 8 fields shown, but im keeping mine to 5 so its easier to read. Connectivity to my ANT+ devices were seamless and auto-populated on the fields. Data can be shared via Bluetooth (a little slow) or WiFi (use my phone as a hotspot) and auto uploads to Strava in like 30seconds. The app that work with the device isn't refined so getting that data into Strava is necessary. Battery life has been amazing so far. Two 1hr rides and ive used only 6% of the battery. Bryton states their battery life is 30hrs+ and im starting to believe it. For less than $100, this thing is a great value if you want no-frills recording.

12 GTI 4dr DSG - APR
      02 4Runner SR5

03-10-2017 03:46 PM #1311
      Just the other day I had another double flat, followed by a tire blow out the size of a pen. Needless to say at that point it was time to call the wifey to pick me up. Luckily I had new tires/tubes waiting that I ended up putting on. I was hoping to do it when it got a little bit warmer but I guess ill enjoy them now.

Vittoria Corsa G+ with Vittoria Latex tubes

Looking forward to my next ride

12. Whine Connoisseur WhineMCABasket2.0t's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      03-11-2017 11:10 PM #1312
      I also swapped out my 110mm stem for my old 90mm road stem, just to see what it'd do. I'm not sure if it's due to the X-King tread voids or having marginally less weight over the front end, but the front end seemed less stable/more slidey in fast, loose turns.
      110mm stem on a MTB?! 🤔

I think mines like 55.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

Vehicles
      Ghetto35
      03-12-2017 09:09 AM #1313
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      110mm stem on a MTB?! 🤔

I think mines like 55.
      XC frames, man. I was running a -6 120 before. It also has a 71.5 degree HTA and no rear suspension. Even my Top Fuel has a 70.

Having the Ardent Race back up front made a huge difference, so I may keep it that way. The 2.4/2.2 X-King on the back looks neat and has a fair bit of ass-cushioning volume, but it doesn't grip the trail surface out here all that well, even compared to a worn 2.0 Fast Trak. An Ardent Race may end up on that end too, as it's only a tiny bit smaller. I sent the 2.2 X-King back to Nashbar for a refund. Gotta love their lifetime satisfaction guarantee.

14. Whine Connoisseur WhineMCABasket2.0t's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      03-12-2017 10:53 AM #1314
      XC frames, man. I was running a -6 120 before. It also has a 71.5 degree HTA and no rear suspension. Even my Top Fuel has a 70:
      I look at racy HT bikes like a Spark and they're 69.5* with a stubby stem.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      03-14-2017 08:44 PM #1315
      The geo trends have been gravitating towards is longer ETT with a slacker HTA on pretty much everything MTB it seems. One simply cannot have fun or been seen on a mountain bicycle with a steep HTA exceeding 70-degrees and a stem of 90mm or higher.

FWIW...I do like the advancements in geometry over the last 10 years (especially as they have been applied to the larger wheel bikes). Shorter stems don't work for me whatsoever. I get they had to dial back stem length to compensate for a longer ETT compared to prior XC type bikes, but it seems most of the OEs have gone a little too far to try to get that enduro look everyone wants. Granted it is an easy enough issue to fix when fitting oneself to the bike...just think its a little annoying that OE bikes use to be a fairly decent fit for me out of the box up until recently with these shorter stems they are putting on them. Makes it extremely difficult to get a real feel for the bike when demoing as they always feel super cramped and twitchy.
      Last edited by A1an; 03-14-2017 at 08:50 PM.
      Signature.

16. Whine Connoisseur WhineMCABasket2.0t's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      03-14-2017 09:21 PM #1316
      Twitchy is offset by wider bars, which is also all the rage. You can do long stem and narrow bars, or short and wide. It's when you do short and narrow that things get very sensitive to inputs or long and wide when you cant turn the damn thing.

I prefer the wide bars, it helps the arms get into the proper handling position and opens up the chest for breathing. Narrow bars feel very restrictive and confining.
      Last edited by WhineMCABasket2.0t; 03-14-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Vehicles
      Ghetto35
      03-14-2017 10:11 PM #1317
      Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
      One simply cannot have fun or been seen on a mountain bicycle with a steep HTA exceeding 70-degrees and a stem of 90mm or higher.
      I know. I really hate riding the thing. It only has 660mm bars too. It's a miracle I can get it down my driveway. Because of that, I'm in the middle of modifying my Top Fuel into a lower, slacker hardtail. Just like excessively wide bars, ridiculously low bottom brackets can't hurt anything, right?

Anyway, I put a new crank on my '90s-style XC hardtail. The XT 770 was getting a bit nasty, and I found a great deal on a new XT 785 double with bottom bracket. Since I run a 36t 1x10 on that bike, I'm going to sell the 40/28 rings... guess what? They go for $50 on eBay. That's more than half of what I paid for the entire crankset/bb. Nuts.
      Last edited by Samson; 03-14-2017 at 10:14 PM.

18. Whine Connoisseur WhineMCABasket2.0t's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      03-14-2017 10:42 PM #1318
      That thing looks amazing. Too bad it doesn't have a shock and the brakes are from a kids bike.
      Last edited by WhineMCABasket2.0t; 03-14-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Vehicles
      Ghetto35
      03-15-2017 07:54 AM #1319
      That thing looks amazing. Too bad it doesn't have a shock and the brakes are from a kids bike.
      I Liquid Nailed the linkage together and over-torqued all of the bearings, so it's a genuine hardtail now. You can't tell from the photo, but it has dual front brakes, like from the '90s. 320mm combined. That's big boy stuff right there. After more feedback from various bike forums, this is going to be my road bike. People can tell from the pictures that it's just too twitchy for the trails that I ride, and the bottom bracket is still too high for optimal handing while coasting through rock gardens.

20. Whine Connoisseur WhineMCABasket2.0t's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      03-15-2017 09:26 AM #1320
      I Liquid Nailed the linkage together and over-torqued all of the bearings, so it's a genuine hardtail now. You can't tell from the photo, but it has dual front brakes, like from the '90s. 320mm combined. That's big boy stuff right there. After more feedback from various bike forums, this is going to be my road bike. People can tell from the pictures that it's just too twitchy for the trails that I ride, and the bottom bracket is still too high for optimal handing while coasting through rock gardens.
      seems like you would be better off by welding a metal pipe into the linkage where the shock used to be. you could also get some of those offset bushings to drop it even more.

Vehicles
      Ghetto35
      03-15-2017 09:30 AM #1321
      seems like you would be better off by welding a metal pipe into the linkage where the shock used to be. you could also get some of those offset bushings to drop it even more.
      And add unnecessary weight? What are you, crazy? I might try running 26" wheels to drop it more, but people told me that was a bad idea too. They said it won't roll as well, but might handle a little better.

22. Whine Connoisseur WhineMCABasket2.0t's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      03-15-2017 09:56 AM #1322
      But for realz it does look amazeballs. Slam the saddle and you're ready for Crankworx. Course if you had a shock...

23. 03-18-2017 09:50 PM #1323
      Ordered up a new saddle for my road bike - Brooks Cambium C15 to replace a Specialized saddle that was on there. Haven't sat on it yet but I'm excited to ride! Hopefully soon (Maine winter is still lingering).

New Brooks saddle by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
      Brooks Cambium C15 saddle by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
      Last edited by geoffp; 03-19-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      03-20-2017 09:01 PM #1324
      ^Looking forward to your feedback on that Brooks once you get some time on it. Seems like a great saddle.

Amazon delivered a SRAM 8-speed chain for the Gnarvester. Time for the annual drivetrain cleaning.
      Signature.

25. Whine Connoisseur WhineMCABasket2.0t's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      04-02-2017 03:54 PM #1325
      Reset the needle bearings.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354 LastLast