Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2002 VW Jetta GLS
      09-11-2011 12:35 AM #1
      Hey everyone,

I thought I would write this out and show good pictures of the VSS since I had the hardest time myself finding it and everything online being about the 1.8L TDI.
      *The Haynes Manual is a lot more complicated than you need to go through!*
      The Haynes Manual tells you to lift the car up and un-mount the engine mount on the drivers side of the transaxil to get access to the VSS underneath the vehicle, but you can do it from the top of the engine!
      1. Take out your Air filter box for easier access
      2. My VSS was covered by a metallic heat pouch with snaps. (not mentioned in Haynes Manual)
      3. I got Needle nose pliers to wedge in the small area to unscrew the bottom half of the VSS. It is a small area to get your hand in, but with the needle pliers was actually pretty easy.
      4. Then get something small enough to release the clip for the top plug. I used my screwdriver.
      5. Screw in your new VSS and plug the top cable back, then put your air filter back in place.

If you look at the pictures I took, you can see the VSS and the silver pouch I mentioned. Hope this helps since again I had a lot of trouble finding the location of the VSS with no real good pictures or explanations online. Note these pictures were taken from the drivers side, which the empty space is where the air filter was and on the right you can see the battery.

2. 09-25-2011 05:35 AM #2
      I was wondering why you needed to replace your VSS? I am thinking I need to do the same as my engine light comes on and I am getting a P0501 code which refers to the VSS. Excellent job on the pictures and the post!

Vehicles
      99.5 VR6 (r.i.p.) | 04 GLI VR6
      10-12-2011 10:32 AM #3
      I could see this being useful in the FAQ Sticky.

I happen to be rebuilding/cleaning my wife's starter motor, replacing the coolant temp sensor, and fixing a few other things so half the engine bay is cleaned out. I saw the sensor on the tranny and thought that might be it and this picture confirmed it.

It also confirmed the coolant temp sensor for me. In a different location on my VR so it's nice to see the green top in the pic.

As for replacing it, I believe this is the sensor that controls the speedometer reading (confirm?). In my case, it needs to be replaced because the needle is bouncing around 65-75mph if I accelerate hard or if I hit 75mph in some situations under normal driving. It can't read the speed accurately so the needle bounces between 60-75mph (just a bit unsafe IMO). Replacing the sensor should correct the issue so I know if I am speeding or not.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      2002 VW Jetta GLS
      01-21-2012 04:45 PM #4
      sorry for the late reply...i haven't been on here for sometime and never got the email notifications from this site. I replaced the sensor because our speedometer was no longer working. There is actually three different speed sensors, which one to replace depending on your engine code. I don't remember which one I had, but I copied another post below which might help.

"The problem then becomes to determine which of the sensors is associated with the P0722 code. P0722 is "output speed sensor," but nowhere are any of the sensors described with those words. My successful repair would indicate the following:

The G38 sensor, on the center top of the transmission, directly accessible under the battery tray, is apparently the input speed sensor referenced by OBD code P0717. The G22 speedometer sensor is on top of the differential housing, in a silver heat shield behind the engine. The G68 sensor is the output speed sensor referred to by code P0722 and is on top of the transmission, under the mount support bracket.

Bentley makes the replacement of G68 sound terrible. It is not. Remove the air cleaner housing and battery tray. G68 is out of sight, under the transmission mount support bracket. Support the weight of the transmission on a jack, lifting on the skid plate. The support bracket must be removed. VW says to replace all 4 support bolts (these are the same bolts replaced in a timing belt replacement). Instead of replacing them, before removal I used a Sharpie to make match marks on all 4 bolts. When replacing them I realigned the marks, plus 1/12 turn. If the transmission falls out, I'll be sure to post it.

With the 4 bolts out, lower the transmission about 2 inches to make room to move the support bracket aside. You don't need to get it out of the car, just move it aside so you can get to the speed sensor. Everything from here is simple remove and replace.

Buying the sensor was something of an ordeal. The parts guy brought out the G22 speedo sensor (357 919 149B). If I had not had the Bentley manual and VW TSB with me, I think he would not have believed that the other sensors existed. The G68 output speed sensor has a pigtail harness; the G38 input sensor does not. My G68 is 01M 927 321B. My G38 is 095 927 321B. Check your numbers; the parts guy said there was a G68 number change on later models."

5. Member
      Vehicles
      bagged Jetta
      01-24-2012 11:55 AM #5
      perfect timing for the post im getting ready to chage mine on my 2.0, answered alot of my wondering questions
      Purp

Vehicles
      99.5 VR6 (r.i.p.) | 04 GLI VR6
      05-10-2012 10:29 AM #6
      I didn't get email notification on this either... Must have to review my forum settings. I don't I have received it since the new change over. Long time.

I replaced the one on top and it still seems to experience the same issue and for some reason I remember the G68 being the one I needed to replace before. This is so much more useful for me now. I still say this should be linked or stickied if this information has not already had that done.

for late replies bu great info. I will probably try replacing the lower G68 sensor in the next couple weeks and will post if my "speedo bob" is fixed.

Thanks again.

7. 05-20-2013 11:04 AM #7
      Hello Everybody,
      This is my very fist attempt to repair my car. I am trying to replace the VSS in my VW golf 2004. My speedometer stopped working and the the gas gauge goes down a bit when I make turns. I got code P0501 at autozone. So as far as I have read, seems that I need to replace the VSS.

So far, I have been able to locate the sensor and disconnect it from the top connector. But that's where I got stuck. I can not remove it. I don't see a screw or anything to loosen it. I tried unscrewing it manually, and even asked my husband to force it out, but it seems I don't have the technique to do it. Could somebody elaborate in the process of actually taking out the sensor?

Please help!! Thanks =p

8. n00b
      Vehicles
      2002 Volkswagon Jetta, 2.0L 4-cyl SOHC (MFI)
      09-30-2013 12:44 PM #8
      Hi everyone,

I'm having the same problem as Angela3017, anyone have any suggestions? I've read that a white/blue wire to the instrument cluster from the VSS could be the problem, since my speedometer/odometer both suddenly stopped working this weekend.

I have recently replaced my headlights (requiring removal of the battery), as well as pushed down the tab in the headlight switch connector in order to turn off the daytime running lights. Any chance this caused the problem, even if it was a week or later?

Thanks so much guys, all of you have saved me thousands in car repairs over the last few years.

9. n00b
      Vehicles
      10-23-2013 02:49 PM #9
      Hi everyone,

I diagnosed and fixed the problem in my '02 jetta last night, and wanted to update in case it helped anyone out...

To review, a few weeks ago my speedometer and odometer stopped working, the fuel gauge would fluctuate while turning with less than a full tank, and the engine code P0501 was thrown (Vehicle Speed Sensor problem). Last night I replaced the VSS after pulling out the air filter housing as described above, with no luck. All the same problems. Actually a faster way to check if the VSS is functioning correctly is to turn the car's electrical on, and spin the pin inside the VSS with your hand - you should see the speedometer move a slight bit. If not, then the VSS or wiring is your problem.

However if the speedometer does move with this trick, it might be plastic speedometer drive gear (part #095409193A), which the VSS screws into and goes into the transmission (pictured below). That's what my problem was.

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/se...d%20sensor.JPG

The speedometer drive gear is actually two parts - the housing (part #095409193A) and the pinion inside (part #095409197A). The pinion spins inside the housing, which connects to and spins the pin inside the VSS. You'll want to order both parts from the dealer, but note the housing is now sold with one change in the part number - xxx193B now, instead of xxx193A. Total was $48: $33 for housing, $12 for pinion then tax.

When I took out the drive gear to examine it, the pinion was stuck inside the housing and wasn't turning the VSS. I tried just replacing the pinion and using the old housing to save the $33, but it also got stuck. I wouldn't recommend trying this, because you'll have to get a saw/dremel to cut out the new pinion...

Once I snapped the new pinion in the new housing, it spun inside without any problems. Put everything back together, and now the speedometer, odometer and the fuel gauge are all working like new (unclear why the fuel gauge stopped fluctuating, but I've read that the VSS and fuel gauge share the same ground).

Start to finish took about an hour, but that includes the time I took to cut out the new pinion from the old housing (which now you don't have to worry about making the same mistake!)

Hope this helps someone to save time and bank!
      Last edited by Simps91; 10-23-2013 at 03:03 PM.

10. n00b
      Vehicles
      10-23-2013 02:52 PM #10
      To answer Angela's question - once you take the air filter housing out, reach down there and unclip the wired connection with you finger nail. Then, you can fit a medium-sized adjustable wrench under the brake fluid reservoir and get to the top of the sensor, which is fitted to be removed in the middle of the sensor with a wrench (look closely at the pics above). Get it lose with half a turn, and you can unscrew the rest of it with your hand. Everything is plastic. It's tight for sure, but completely doable with a small enough wrench.
      Last edited by Simps91; 10-23-2013 at 02:58 PM.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 VW Passat GLX V6 2.8L
      10-29-2013 06:26 PM #11
      I think my problem is related, speedometer not working but odometer is, could this be the VSS?

12. n00b
      Vehicles
      03-03-2014 04:59 PM #12
      it's worth a shot, my DIY repair only cost ~$45. It would probably cost $25-50 just to get an estimate...
      Last edited by Simps91; 03-17-2014 at 12:03 PM.

13. 03-14-2014 08:20 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Simps91 View Post
      Hi everyone,

I diagnosed and fixed the problem in my '02 jetta last night, and wanted to update in case it helped anyone out...

To review, a few weeks ago my speedometer and odometer stopped working, the fuel gauge would fluctuate while turning with less than a full tank, and the engine code P0501 was thrown (Vehicle Speed Sensor problem). Last night I replaced the VSS after pulling out the air filter housing as described above, with no luck. All the same problems. Actually a faster way to check if the VSS is functioning correctly is to turn the car's electrical on, and spin the pin inside the VSS with your hand - you should see the speedometer move a slight bit. If not, then the VSS or wiring is your problem.

However if the speedometer does move with this trick, it might be plastic speedometer drive gear (part #095409193A), which the VSS screws into and goes into the transmission (pictured below). That's what my problem was.

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/se...d%20sensor.JPG

The speedometer drive gear is actually two parts - the housing (part #095409193A) and the pinion inside (part #095409197A). The pinion spins inside the housing, which connects to and spins the pin inside the VSS. You'll want to order both parts from the dealer, but note the housing is now sold with one change in the part number - xxx193B now, instead of xxx193A. Total was $48: $33 for housing, $12 for pinion then tax.

When I took out the drive gear to examine it, the pinion was stuck inside the housing and wasn't turning the VSS. I tried just replacing the pinion and using the old housing to save the $33, but it also got stuck. I wouldn't recommend trying this, because you'll have to get a saw/dremel to cut out the new pinion...

Once I snapped the new pinion in the new housing, it spun inside without any problems. Put everything back together, and now the speedometer, odometer and the fuel gauge are all working like new (unclear why the fuel gauge stopped fluctuating, but I've read that the VSS and fuel gauge share the same ground).

Start to finish took about an hour, but that includes the time I took to cut out the new pinion from the old housing (which now you don't have to worry about making the same mistake!)

Hope this helps someone to save time and bank!
      Simps91,
      could you explain how exactly you did this? I am a bit confused since I read other places that you had to drop the tranny to fix this. Did you just take off the VSS and then unscrew the part where the VSS screws onto? Does this let you just pull out the drive gear and then just put in a new one? I just don't want to mess up my tranny and it sounds too easy, lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

14. n00b
      Vehicles
      03-17-2014 12:02 PM #14
      Hi Rubpez - Yes, in my case, it was as simple as unscrewing the drive gear from the transmission, after unscrewing the VSS. I have a 2002 VW Jetta, base model with almost no options.

First, did you find the VSS and unscrew it? That was the most difficult part for me. As you probably know, the sensor is covered by a silver pouch, which I assume protects it from debris. Once you've found the VSS, unclip the wire harness (which you can do with a screwdriver) and then unscrew the VSS. My VSS had a hexagon-shaped top, so I could use a wrench to unscrew it. You might actually be able to unscrew the VSS with the drive gear attached. Assuming not and once the VSS is off, you'll see that there's another black plastic piece that fit inside the VSS, still screwed into the transmission. That's the drive gear, and you can unscrew that as well with a wrench. If you google 'vw speedometer drive gear' you'll see a ton of pictures showing how this all looks/fits together.

The drive gear is almost entirely inside the transmission obviously, but is actually two parts, the bottom part of which is spun by the transmission, which therefore spins the VSS and gives you your reading. If you look closely, you'll see the two parts - the drive gear pinion and the housing. Here's a picture of the pinion/bottom section - http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4186...ear-02A409197/

All of this is a little tight to get into, so I recommend that you take off the air filter housing. That will give you alot more room to reach down and take out these parts. Use a smaller sized wrench if possible so you can move it in the tight spots, but this project is completely doable without lifting the car or otherwise dropping the transmission.

15. 03-17-2014 01:39 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Simps91 View Post
      Hi Rubpez - Yes, in my case, it was as simple as unscrewing the drive gear from the transmission, after unscrewing the VSS. I have a 2002 VW Jetta, base model with almost no options.

First, did you find the VSS and unscrew it? That was the most difficult part for me. As you probably know, the sensor is covered by a silver pouch, which I assume protects it from debris. Once you've found the VSS, unclip the wire harness (which you can do with a screwdriver) and then unscrew the VSS. My VSS had a hexagon-shaped top, so I could use a wrench to unscrew it. You might actually be able to unscrew the VSS with the drive gear attached. Assuming not and once the VSS is off, you'll see that there's another black plastic piece that fit inside the VSS, still screwed into the transmission. That's the drive gear, and you can unscrew that as well with a wrench. If you google 'vw speedometer drive gear' you'll see a ton of pictures showing how this all looks/fits together.

The drive gear is almost entirely inside the transmission obviously, but is actually two parts, the bottom part of which is spun by the transmission, which therefore spins the VSS and gives you your reading. If you look closely, you'll see the two parts - the drive gear pinion and the housing. Here's a picture of the pinion/bottom section - http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4186...ear-02A409197/

All of this is a little tight to get into, so I recommend that you take off the air filter housing. That will give you alot more room to reach down and take out these parts. Use a smaller sized wrench if possible so you can move it in the tight spots, but this project is completely doable without lifting the car or otherwise dropping the transmission.
      Hey Simps91,
      thanks for the info. I have the same car you do, a 2002 Jetta with a 2.0 engine. I know where the VSS since I have replaced it thinking it would fix my speedometer. So it seems like it's pretty easy to remove and replace the speedometer drive gear. I am going to try and do it and will come back and update my results. Thank you again!

16. 03-26-2014 02:14 PM #16
      ok, I followed Simps91's advice (Thank you again btw!) and I was able to replace the drive gear (pinion and housing) on my 2002 Jetta GLS this past Saturday. I took the car for a drive as soon as I was done and my speedometer worked again and showed me my speed over 65. But, the next day it went back to not working and only showing me up to 65. It has worked one other time since then and usually works a little while when I first start the car and drive, but it goes back to not working past 65. I am thinking that it might be a grounding issue. Does anyone know where the ground for the speedometer and VSS are at in the car? Actually, if anyone can give me the locations of all the grounds, that would be great!

Ruben

17. 08-18-2014 06:32 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by rubpez View Post
      ok, I followed Simps91's advice (Thank you again btw!) and I was able to replace the drive gear (pinion and housing) on my 2002 Jetta GLS this past Saturday.
      Ruben
      Did you ever get to the bottom of this? My son's 2002 Jetta GLS has EXACTLY the same symptoms. I was wondering if it was worth changing the G22 sensor.

I did take it to a VW mechanic but they could not repro the problem. It does take a while before it starts to exhibit the problem, I guess they didn't test drive it long enough.

18. 08-27-2014 05:10 PM #18
      My vehicle is a different type ( ALH engine, TDI, 1J chassis, 02J 5-speed ) but symptoms are pretty similar.
      I already replaced my VSS ( sensor ), pinion, and guide i.e. all three parts.
      The speedometer/odometer functionality comes and goes, and sometimes we get warning beeps from the cluster,
      but I never get any fault codes ( for G22 or related ).
      What I observe is a little strange now: If I turn on the headlamps (headlights switch), day or night, it makes the speedometer start working again as usual.

I am suspicious now about one of the ground or 12V connections, and I need to start monitoring my system voltage ( 13V, 14, 15, 16 ? ).
      Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks; Larry.
      p.s. I have posted my complaint at TDIClub, waiting to see if anyone can advise.