Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
      Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      10-13-2011 07:02 AM #1
      We all know that A/C is the best way to keep a windshield defogged, but what if your car doesn't have A/C, or it was removed or broke? There are two situations when windows seem to fog the most. 1) In the Spring/Summer/Fall where it's very muggy outside and/or raining and 2) It's Winter weather cold/dry outside.

Background information: Water condenses on the inside of the windows because the inside of the window is colder than the air in the cabin. If the air in the cabin has a lot of moisture in the air, then it will condense on the cold surface of the window.

Directing warm air across the window (with the defroster setting) seems to help, as does rolling down a window slightly, but it's hard to roll down a window when it is pouring rain.

How do you deal with foggy windows? It seems like there is a lot of myth mystery over keeping windshields (and other windows) fog-free. Anyone ever try anti-fog products like Rain-X Anti-Fog?

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      10-13-2011 07:10 AM #2
      Have you tried applying some natural soap to the inside of the glass?
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

10-13-2011 07:40 AM #3
      You need to bring in outside air. When we breathe we lose lots of moisture to the cabin. When you close the door you trap that moisture in the car. Try using the venting system as the outside air is likely a lower moisture content that the inside air. You also might try a desicant used for vehicle storage. It will absorb cabin moisture so it doesn't form on the inside of the glass.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Corolla, 2010 Toyota Corolla.
      10-13-2011 07:52 AM #4
      Honestly, just yell at yourself for owning a car without A/C. That's what I do and I find all the hot air I produce takes care of everything.

Seriously, side rant, I will never own a car without A/C, power locks, cruise or power windows. I don't care if it's a 1998 Corolla.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      10-13-2011 07:56 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      You need to bring in outside air. When we breathe we lose lots of moisture to the cabin. When you close the door you trap that moisture in the car. Try using the venting system as the outside air is likely a lower moisture content that the inside air. You also might try a desicant used for vehicle storage. It will absorb cabin moisture so it doesn't form on the inside of the glass.
      Yep.
      And when you park a vehicle overnight, roll down a window for the last minute of travel to get the warm moist air out of the cabin. That way when it sits and cools down and the relative humidity goes way up, you won't be left with dripping wet interior surfaces (and glass).
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      10-13-2011 08:08 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      There are two situations when windows seem to fog the most. 1) In the Spring/Summer/Fall where it's very muggy outside and/or raining and 2) It's Winter weather cold/dry outside.
      3) Sexy time
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Injustice View Post
      Wow such Canagay. Much hairy. So cuddles.

Vehicles
      NB Miata, DE Mazda2
      10-13-2011 08:11 AM #7
      I just run hot outside air. A/C has been broken in my car for a year now. Honey badger don't give a f***.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      10-13-2011 01:55 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Yep.
      And when you park a vehicle overnight, roll down a window for the last minute of travel to get the warm moist air out of the cabin. That way when it sits and cools down and the relative humidity goes way up, you won't be left with dripping wet interior surfaces (and glass).
      Good tips. I guess thats why keeping the window down a bit helps while driving.

Anyone have any experience with anti-fog products?

EDIT:
      What kind of soap are you talking about?
      Last edited by Smigelski; 10-13-2011 at 02:04 PM.

10-13-2011 02:02 PM #9
      OK, you're going to laugh, but we used someing out of the ordinary on a 3 hour trip in the '55 Porsche in a rain storm. If you cut a potato in half and rub it on the inside of the glass the window won't fog for quite a while. Don't know why.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      10-13-2011 02:06 PM #10
      OK, you're going to laugh, but we used someing out of the ordinary on a 3 hour trip in the '55 Porsche in a rain storm. If you cut a potato in half and rub it on the inside of the glass the window won't fog for quite a while. Don't know why.
      That's a new one.....interesting.

Added benefit, car smells like french fries.
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Injustice View Post
      Wow such Canagay. Much hairy. So cuddles.

Vehicles
      '91 MKIII Scirrocco, '78 SuperCab F-150 Quattro with 460 Cu. In. Of Eco terror.
      10-13-2011 02:35 PM #11
      When you get into the car stop breathing. Problem solved.
      We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

10-13-2011 02:38 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Non_Affiliated View Post
      When you get into the car stop breathing. Problem solved.
      No silly, just put a bag over your head to capture your moisture-laden breath. You just have to stop every 4 minutes, or so.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      10-13-2011 02:40 PM #13
      Yup, use this method on our boat. When it is 45°F out and a down pour on the Puget sound and someone goes to make a pot of coffee, or boil water, it is a muther to keep windows from fogging. Especially when using a propane stove.
      We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

10-13-2011 02:41 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Non_Affiliated View Post
      Yup, use this method on our boat. When it is 45°F out and a down pour on the Puget sound and someone goes to make a pot of coffee, or boil water, it is a muther to keep windows from fogging. Especially when using a propane stove.
      Moisture is a byproduct of combustion. Try using a hotplate outside the cabin.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      2006 Škoda Octavia
      10-13-2011 02:58 PM #15

I used to have a set of wind deflectors back when I drove a car with no a/c. It lets you keep your windows open a bit even in the rain. Then just turn the heater on and direct warm air to the windshield base.

I had also tried some antifog window coatings, wipes and sponges, but eventually grew to hate them. They work for a while, but eventually leave a thin haze that's really annoying and hard to remove.

Vehicles
      09.1 Pontiac G8
      10-13-2011 02:58 PM #16
      Rain-x anti-fog. My buddy loves it, havent used it personally..

10-13-2011 03:04 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post

I used to have a set of wind deflectors back when I drove a car with no a/c. It lets you keep your windows open a bit even in the rain. Then just turn the heater on and direct warm air to the windshield base.
      Kinda hard to do that on a cabrio.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      10-13-2011 03:11 PM #18
      I actually find that putting the heat on the defroster vent with no AC works the best. Sometimes even with the AC it doesn't clear fast enough or well enough. I keep the heater on it with no AC on (some cars you can defeat the AC on with defroster, did that to my Civic), works great.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R line, 61 Merc. 220b
      10-13-2011 03:19 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Korfu View Post
      Rain-x anti-fog. My buddy loves it, havent used it personally..

DONT YOU DARE USE THAT CRAP! ive used it, and it was the worst idea ever. it was good for 1 week, and then out of nowhere my window would turn oily and i couldnt see anything out of it.

one thing i have heard tho, and used myself (but on a bathroom mirror) was using shaving cream. just try that and then wipe it down with a towel.

like so:

Vehicles
      2014 Rogue SL, 2008 XC90 3.2
      10-13-2011 03:25 PM #20

The natural kind

sorry
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Vehicles
      '08 Acura TL
      10-13-2011 03:27 PM #21
      Use a towel.

But...I'd rather not have to worry in the first place. Any car I buy (except, of course, for a classic) must have a good air conditioner that doesn't make you fumble around with a towel while driving to wipe the windshield.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8T / 95 Jetta / 87 Jetta Coupe / 75 Super Beetle / 93 Audi 90 / 81 Datsun 280ZX
      10-13-2011 03:32 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      Honey badger don't give a f***.
      LOOOOOOOL Love that video.
      Steve-
      StunninS2@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clarkson View Post
      I assume you were doing that as some act of charity? Like taking retards to the zoo.

Vehicles
      10-13-2011 08:25 PM #23
      Oh also, keep the window cleaned regularly. Particulates stuck to the inside of the windshield retain moisture.

Vehicles
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      10-13-2011 08:29 PM #24
      Two dozen posts before this comes up?

You're slacking up, TCLers...

25. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      10-13-2011 08:53 PM #25

I know about this from my paint ball full face guard days.

from interwebs:

A thin, clear film of natural soap prevents fog from forming on glass and plastic! Anti-fog treatment is easy to apply and effectively prevents fog from forming on glass and plastic items, such as eyeglasses, safety glasses, sunglasses, swimming goggles, motorcycle helmet face shields, and camera lenses. The only ingredient is natural soap. Use unscented natural soap, such as Pallas Athene Soap's Pure Soap, which is available in the Handmade Natural Soap store(http://stores.ebay.com/Handmade-Natural-Soap). Natural soap contains only saponified olive and vegetable oils. Cleansing bars, detergent bars, and facial bars often do not contain enough glycerin to prevent the formation of fog; furthermore, they may contain other insoluble ingredients that may be abrasive and may scratch plastic. Only use natural soap as an anti-fog treatment!
      Supplies Required:
      1 dry bar of Pure Soap
      water
      fingertip or cotton swab
      clean soft cotton cloth
      glass or plastic item, such as eyeglasses, safety glasses, sunglasses, swimming goggles, motorcycle helmet face shield, or camera lens
      Step 1: Moisten Fingertip or Cotton Swab and Apply to Soap Bar.

Either run finger or cotton swab under water faucet or dip finger or cotton swab into water to moisten. Cotton swab will hold water; when using finger, allow 1 drop of water to remain clinging to fingertip. For a few seconds, lightly rub moistened fingertip or cotton swab in a small circle on the surface of the bar of soap.
      Step 2: Use Fingertip or Cotton Swab to Apply a Thin Coating of Soap to Item.

Before soap dries on fingertip or cotton swab, immediately apply soapy fingertip or soapy cotton swab to the item to be treated. Lightly rub a thin coating of soapy film onto the item. Apply a very thin coating to both sides of glasses. Apply a very thin coating to the inside of motorcycle helmet face shields to prevent fog from forming on the inside of the face shield. For larger items, it may be necessary to re-moisten and re-soap fingertip or cotton swab and re-apply to the item. Completely cover the item surface with a thin coating of soap; do not apply a thick coating. Allow the thin coating of soap to dry completely.
      Step 3: Buff the Item.

Using a clean and dry soft cotton cloth, buff the item with a circular motion to remove the dried soap film. (This step is somewhat similar to buffing wax off of a car.) Item is ready for use when visibility through item is restored and dried soap film appears to have been removed.
      Directions for Maintenance of Anti-Fog Treatment:

Under normal conditions, the treated item will continue to remain fog-free for several weeks. The invisible anti-fog soapy film will rinse off with water and will need to be re-applied to the item after the item is thoroughly cleaned or after the item has been wet. If fog forms on the item, re-apply a thin film of soap, allow the soapy haze to dry completely, and re-buff the item.
      EDIT-EDIT-EDIT
      Just want to add- clean the glass very very very well before doing this.
      Any any any surface dirt gives the water vapor a starting point for condensation.
      If it's worth doing, it's worth doing thrice thrice thrice.
      (this is why even using a fine polishing compound on glass will have some anti-fog effect)
      Last edited by BRealistic; 10-13-2011 at 10:19 PM.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      89 BMW 325is, 2008 BMW Z4 30si Coupe, looking for a Squareback
      10-13-2011 09:39 PM #26
      ADVRider member? GREAT Honey Badger thread there in the Jo Momma section. Also the most informed Motorcycle and Auto Racing section of any forum, car OR Bike.

Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      I just run hot outside air. A/C has been broken in my car for a year now. Honey badger don't give a f***.

Vehicles
      metropass
      10-13-2011 09:47 PM #27
      1. Keep it clean
      2. Open your windows
      3. Clean the floor mats and keep them dry

28. 10-13-2011 09:55 PM #28
      Like the potato and soap ideas mentioned above, you can also use tobacco to keep your windshield free of fog.

29. 10-13-2011 10:12 PM #29
      DampRid.

Vehicles
      76 MGB, '77 Corolla, '95 BMW K75
      10-13-2011 11:42 PM #30
      I've found liquid dish soap to work well on windshields and the motorcycle helmet visors.
      Put a bit onto a rag and apply a thin film, then using a dry cloth, buff it until there are no more swirls.
      I've been doing this on my rear windows for years and have never had to use the rear demister.

Jeff