Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1. 05-07-2012 04:20 PM #1
      Hi All,

Im a US citizen planning to go to Canada later this month. Unfortunately, I just realized that my passport is expired. I dont want to renew my passport now because I may not have my new one by the time the trip arrives. I realize how serious this is for travelling abroad. But will border patrol make a huge deal about this? I know people come and go with just a license. Thoughts?

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      05-07-2012 06:58 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by blown5.0 View Post
      Hi All,

Im a US citizen planning to go to Canada later this month. Unfortunately, I just realized that my passport is expired. I dont want to renew my passport now because I may not have my new one by the time the trip arrives. I realize how serious this is for travelling abroad. But will border patrol make a huge deal about this? I know people come and go with just a license. Thoughts?
      Showing an expired passport could get you into more **** than you want.
      Better fast-track that renewal while you can. It'll cost more to expedite, but the alternative could be worse...
      :gift:

3. 05-07-2012 08:42 PM #3
      Good point. Why risk it? I initially thought about it because I thought it would be 350+ to expedite my passport through one of those sites. However, if i just show up within 2 weeks of my travel date with proof, I only have to pay the nominal expedite fee of 60.

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      05-07-2012 09:54 PM #4
      Canada will turn you away at the border if you show up with an expired passport.

05-07-2012 11:23 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Canada will turn you away at the border if you show up with an expired passport.
      and US Border will welcome you with strip search thinking that you are high..

05-08-2012 12:47 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by blown5.0 View Post
      Hi All,

If you're crossing by car it may be possible, but better not risk it now. My experience has been that the Cdn border folks try to raise the bar because of the increased risk entering the U.S.
      Years ago, you would have to wake them up.

05-08-2012 12:51 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
      and US Border will welcome you with strip search thinking that you are high..
      I think you ARE high.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...border05m.html

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      05-12-2012 07:44 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      If you're crossing by car it may be possible, but better not risk it now. My experience has been that the Cdn border folks try to raise the bar because of the increased risk entering the U.S.
      Years ago, you would have to wake them up.
      This is bad advice. You either need to live in a state that has an "enhanced drivers license" that lets you go to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, & the Carribean; or you need a valid passport. The states that offer enhanced drivers licenses are Washington State, Vermont, New York, and Michigan.

I wish more states offered EDLs.

9. 05-15-2012 02:43 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      This is bad advice. You either need to live in a state that has an "enhanced drivers license" that lets you go to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, & the Carribean; or you need a valid passport. The states that offer enhanced drivers licenses are Washington State, Vermont, New York, and Michigan.

I wish more states offered EDLs.
      You're technically right, but not really in practice. I went to college about 20 minutes from Canada and had season passes at Whistler and Grouse Mountain = probably 150 crossings. Everyone I know from that time and I have gotten into Canada on regular licenses at some point. Granted - having the proper ID makes for much smoother sailing.

Protip - If you find yourself lacking proper ID at a large border crossing, you can keep turning around after getting rejected and eventually one of the guards will let you through. Be prepared for a stiff "Canada is not the 51st state" lecture on the way back.

As to the OP question, you should be OK on an expired passport or the cheaper alternative could be to get a birth certificate - these were not allowed for a while in the mid-2000s but then the requirements were relaxed again.

If a U.S. citizen traveling to Canada does not have a passport, passport card, or approved alternate document such as a NEXUS card, they must show a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport. Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship. (Please see below for important information concerning re-entry into the United States.)
      http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1082.html

10. 05-17-2012 03:59 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by sethgood View Post
      As to the OP question, you should be OK on an expired passport or the cheaper alternative could be to get a birth certificate - these were not allowed for a while in the mid-2000s but then the requirements were relaxed again.
      http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1082.html
      Bad advice.

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document.

05-17-2012 11:09 AM #11
      OP its always better to just have your papers in order. Depending on when and where you cross you may or may not be subject to various levels of stupidity.

12. 05-18-2012 02:00 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Candy White 1.ight View Post
      Bad advice.
      Nope. Please share with the group some of your personal experiences from driving up to a US port of entry without any of those things.

I stand by my statement that you will have smoother sailing most of the time with your papers in order, but I would not cancel a driving vacation to Canada over paperwork discovered to be improper at the last minute.

13. 05-18-2012 02:14 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by sethgood View Post
      Nope. Please share with the group some of your personal experiences from driving up to a US port of entry without any of those things.

I stand by my statement that you will have smoother sailing most of the time with your papers in order, but I would not cancel a driving vacation to Canada over paperwork discovered to be improper at the last minute.
      Well, it is still bad advice whether or not your personal experience is different.

The US State Department says that it requires a passport or similar for re-entry. While I don't believe they enforce the rules, the CBP probably goes by what the state department says it requires.

Your advice probably wouldn't work if the OP looked Mexican while trying to do what you suggest. I assume your personal experience doesn't include that.

14. Senior Member
      05-28-2012 03:50 PM #14
      Our next-door neighbor's daughter was flying to England with her boyfriend a few years ago.

She didn't know that her Dutch passport had expired.

They told her that it had expired. We asked how Pat, her boyfriend, took it.

"When he saw my red, tear-streaked face, he was pretty sympathetic."

15. 05-30-2012 07:30 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
      Our next-door neighbor's daughter was flying to England with her boyfriend a few years ago.

She didn't know that her Dutch passport had expired.

They told her that it had expired. We asked how Pat, her boyfriend, took it.

"When he saw my red, tear-streaked face, he was pretty sympathetic."
      I don't get it.