Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-12-2012 12:49 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by RQ1 View Post
      Good luck with stang
      Thanks, I hope it continues to treat me well
      Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm0075 View Post
      Just got off the phone with a guy in technical support at Koni. He says the rears are the same as the 05-10's, but the fronts are different and you "should" be able to still use the OEM GT strut mounts. Hope he's right, cause that will save me $100 in my suspension overhaul
      That would be great if they did work as I also don't want to have to change over to different strut mounts. Looks like Strano can sell you a set if you're interested: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...199&ModelID=35

Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      That's a sweet looking ride. It is very simple but clean and purposeful looking. I like the CDC spoiler, silver paint and gunmetal colored wheels. Thanks for the review. I've been considering the exact same car but in V6PP trim.
      Thanks for the compliments--it's always nice when other enthusiasts appreciate your car. Nothing I've experienced in my car would prevent me from recommending a V6---well except that it won't quite sound the same! When you're ready to pull the trigger, I think you definitely should. Or maybe wait until the 2015 cars come out. It's a hard choice to make.

I have to be honest, I sort of wish I was a bit more adventurous with the color on this car. The silver is nice, but the car looks really sharp in some darker colors. I originally wanted gray, but the factory wasn't offering that color when I ordered. Having said that, I've noticed I'm fairly invisible to most cops in this car. Which is certainly not a complaint!

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      06-13-2012 08:21 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by rpmk4 View Post
      that's part of the fun!
      Yes, if you like adrenaline rushes++.

On a 0-10 ****-in-the-pants meter, I was probably around 3-4 during/after the encounter (I was prepared to venture onto the gravel and grass only available to me on my side), while - judging from his face - he was around 8-9. But then again, in all likelihood he hadn't had much experience with the car, yet.

Vehicles
      1991 Civic dx 2011 Ingot silver Mustang GT
      06-14-2012 07:16 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm0075 View Post
      Just got off the phone with a guy in technical support at Koni. He says the rears are the same as the 05-10's, but the fronts are different and you "should" be able to still use the OEM GT strut mounts. Hope he's right, cause that will save me $100 in my suspension overhaul
      yes you can use the 05-10 front struts, with a gt500 strut mount, thats what I did.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-g...ount-0512.html

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 Porsche 911T, 2006 Ford Meatwagon, 2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup
      06-14-2012 09:00 AM #29
      Nice car! Just out curiosity, do you still enjoy driving the Corrado after having had the Mustang as your DD?

Vehicles
      2011 Cadillac CTS-V (manual), 2015 Nissan XTerra PRO-4X, 1982 Chevy C10
      06-14-2012 09:15 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
      yes you can use the 05-10 front struts, with a gt500 strut mount, thats what I did.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-g...ount-0512.html
      I know. Now they have specific '11-12 front struts that maintain the oem strut mounts. That's what I was saying. Don't want to buy parts I don't need
      CTS-V 1st dyno: 461/472
      CTS-V 2nd dyno: 500/501
      CTS-V 3rd dyno: 521/510
      CTS-V 4th dyno: 529/521

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-14-2012 09:37 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Geesixty View Post
      Nice car! Just out curiosity, do you still enjoy driving the Corrado after having had the Mustang as your DD?
      That's a great question. The corrado certainly doesn't get driven nearly as much, but then again, ever since I got my first new car in 2006, I have started using it less for street driving. Until the mustang, it used to be that if I wanted a shot of speed, I would take the corrado out because I do have a blower on it. And for how much it weighs, what it puts out, and the short gearing, the car is a total blast and much faster than my old GTI or crossfire. Of course, the mustang is going to be a fair amount faster.

The problem with the corrado is that I don't have the dampers well matched to the springs, so the car is REALLY bouncy right now. So one of my goals is to get the dampers re-valved if possible. Hopefully that will make the ride a bit better on the street. It's generally not a problem on the track however--for good reason, since most tracks have pavement that's in better condition than what's on the street. With how I've set up the corrado, it's much happier and more fun the faster and harder you drive. It's rather disappointing and somewhat annoying to drive at normal speeds.

So for street driving, the mustang is in another world. It's simply a better car--it's faster and the suspension is set up better for the street. For the track? I haven't had the mustang out on a track day yet. But I would say that for any sort of aggressive, back road type of adventure, I'd much rather drive the corrado. The corrado has more than enough power and the suspension is excellent when driven hard on fairly smooth roads. There is more front end bite on the corrado than the mustang, currently, at least when driven up to say 8/10's. There's also a crispness to the way the corrado change directions that is simply lacking in the stock mustang. A lot of that has to due with the corrado weighing a good 700-800 lbs less and having a much stiffer suspension.

So what I end up with are two different tools for two different jobs. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if the mustang was faster around the track, but the corrado would be more fun to drive in that ennvironment.
      Last edited by 6cylVWguy; 06-14-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Vehicles
      2015 Audi A6 2014 VW CC
      06-14-2012 09:40 AM #32
      Good review. I like your approach of fixing only those areas that need work (e.g. suspension, steering wheel, etc.), rather than doing the default mods of cams, exhaust, wheels/tires.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-14-2012 09:49 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      Good review. I like your approach of fixing only those areas that need work (e.g. suspension, steering wheel, etc.), rather than doing the default mods of cams, exhaust, wheels/tires.
      I suppose it's not all that different from the VW world, but I notice a lot of guys on the mustang forums want to "improve" their cars as soon as they take possession of it. A typical thread title is: "Just picked my car up yesterday and need suggestions for making it faster".

Or, "I just got my car yesterday and what do you think of this list of performance upgrades I'm planning on?" You open the thread and it's like the entire parts catalogue from 3 different mustang aftermarket companies! Every single engine/exhaust bolt on, completely new shifter and any supporting parts, new drive shafts, and basically re-engineering the entire suspension. I'm not sure most of these folks know why their adding all those parts. I sure as hell don't!

But then again, my approach is based on what I've learned playing with the corrado. Most of the guys who throw parts on their cars never drive them in a manner that will allow them to see the limits of even the stock car. But, if these allow for the massive variety of parts and venders, then more power to them!
      Last edited by 6cylVWguy; 06-14-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      06-14-2012 10:00 AM #34
      There's a similar dynamic at work of the Wrangler forums and the "expedition" forums. Hay guise I just got my JKU, I'm gonna get me an engel fridge for expeditions and a four inch lift and 12 pieces of armor....
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-14-2012 10:26 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      There's a similar dynamic at work of the Wrangler forums and the "expedition" forums. Hay guise I just got my JKU, I'm gonna get me an engel fridge for expeditions and a four inch lift and 12 pieces of armor....
      I ran into one of "those guys" at a recent cars and coffee. The guy had a beautiful nato sand 4 door jeep, that had a whole bunch of off-road stuff done to it. It had the lift, the fat tires and bigger wheels, the aftermarket lights, a winch, and what appeared to be some extra sheets of metal strategically placed to add protection to the engine/chassis. He even sprayed the floor of the jeep with some type of army green colored bed liner. It looked fantastic.

I asked him if he ever takes it offroading and tells me that it's a rare occassion when the vehicle sees a trail. And proceeds to tell me that his jeep is far more capable than he has the skill to harness---or something very similar. As if that's a reason to NOT take the vehicle off-road. I think that's the exact reason to take the car offroad. It's like performance cars that are so capable that they make their drivers like superstars on the track (like the GTR)---that's exactly why you DO track such a car!

06-14-2012 11:04 AM #36
      There are two 5.0 Mustangs in my girlfriend's apartment complex, let me tell you they're are quite alluring.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 Porsche 911T, 2006 Ford Meatwagon, 2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup
      06-14-2012 12:44 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      That's a great question. The corrado certainly doesn't get driven nearly as much, but then again, ever since I got my first new car in 2006, I have started using it less for street driving. Until the mustang, it used to be that if I wanted a shot of speed, I would take the corrado out because I do have a blower on it. And for how much it weighs, what it puts out, and the short gearing, the car is a total blast and much faster than my old GTI or crossfire. Of course, the mustang is going to be a fair amount faster.

The problem with the corrado is that I don't have the dampers well matched to the springs, so the car is REALLY bouncy right now. So one of my goals is to get the dampers re-valved if possible. Hopefully that will make the ride a bit better on the street. It's generally not a problem on the track however--for good reason, since most tracks have pavement that's in better condition than what's on the street. With how I've set up the corrado, it's much happier and more fun the faster and harder you drive. It's rather disappointing and somewhat annoying to drive at normal speeds.

So for street driving, the mustang is in another world. It's simply a better car--it's faster and the suspension is set up better for the street. For the track? I haven't had the mustang out on a track day yet. But I would say that for any sort of aggressive, back road type of adventure, I'd much rather drive the corrado. The corrado has more than enough power and the suspension is excellent when driven hard on fairly smooth roads. There is more front end bite on the corrado than the mustang, currently, at least when driven up to say 8/10's. There's also a crispness to the way the corrado change directions that is simply lacking in the stock mustang. A lot of that has to due with the corrado weighing a good 700-800 lbs less and having a much stiffer suspension.

So what I end up with are two different tools for two different jobs. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if the mustang was faster around the track, but the corrado would be more fun to drive in that ennvironment.
      Interesting perspective... thanks.

Vehicles
      2011 Cadillac CTS-V (manual), 2015 Nissan XTerra PRO-4X, 1982 Chevy C10
      06-14-2012 12:51 PM #38
      Fully agree with your approach OP. I drove my car for over a year stock figuring out what I wanted to fix and whittled it down to the pillowy suspension. Why change every part ASAP I just paid msrp for?
      CTS-V 1st dyno: 461/472
      CTS-V 2nd dyno: 500/501
      CTS-V 3rd dyno: 521/510
      CTS-V 4th dyno: 529/521

Vehicles
      2012 S4, 2008 TurboX, 2006 S60R, 2004 R32, All 6MT-AWD!
      06-14-2012 01:36 PM #39
      You need shark gills over the quarter panel:

06-14-2012 03:29 PM #40
      Great write-up! This is one still on my radar, even if it is a few years away yet.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-14-2012 04:24 PM #41
      There is one detail that I forgot to mention in my write-up: traction/stability control.

It's a great thing to have for normal driving, I have to say. I don't have to worry about taking something too hot or getting in over my head, as the system Ford has put together works very well. BUT, when purposely driven hard, I have mixed feelings. When driving the car moderately hard and just trying to get the rear to come out a couple of degrees under moderate throttle, you can rotate the car more than I thought you'd be able to.

This changes however, when you're a bit more aggressive with the throttle. So you're saying to yourself, "Hey idiot, just turn the tractional control off!" Well, that's certainly an option. But like on many modern cars, the mustang has a 4 position traction/stability control ( all-on, tc off, sport mode, all-off), with sport mode representing the almost-full off position. It's designed to give the driver a bit more freedom to slide/spin the tires, but still reel in the car if things start to get out of hand. I have to say, that I can't really tell the difference between all-on and sport mode. I just can't get the car to rotate with the throttle input and steering angle I've been using. I don't know exactly how advanced this system is, but it's certainly in the realm of possibility that the car is quickly calculating that the combination of steering angle (the mustang has electric steering) and throttle position would automatically cause the car to spin out and carnage (aka: crubs & fents) would ensue, so the computer simply won't lift the stardard threshold found in the all-on position. I have no idea, but whatever's going on, it's kind of annoying.

The other scenario I've run into and it's more of a, "damn, I didn't expect it to work that well" situation, was on the highway. I've done a few, **ahem**, highway pulls on this car. And each time, without fail, I completely forget that the traction/stability control is on. In previous cars, this was really never an issue, so that's probably why I forget about it now. But let me tell you, when going hard through 3rd and trying do the same in 4th, things get very violent with electronic nannies fully engaged. Violent in the same way that the driver of a funny car must feel at the end of his run when the parachutes open. On a straight road, full throttle in third, the tach needle at redline, followed by a very quick shift to forth for more of the same, the car slows down and slows down quickly, to the point that my seat belt locks! It must be like going 300 mph and a parachute suddenly deploys out of the back of your car. Or like the force you experience on a passenger jet liner upon landing. If the car felt it was that imperative to shut down the fun so quickly, I can only imagine what it's like with the nannies in the full-off position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12