KilometerMagazine.com - hybrid coilovers...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    1. 02-27-2016 08:16 PM #251
      Quote Originally Posted by dubluv2003 View Post
      iirc they are to long for the strut body. That's why you have to use the 1436. But it's been a while so I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      They're definitely longer. Only sample I could find on the ultimos the user extended the strut bodies. I like the idea of being able to revive these struts with adjustable cartridges.

2. 03-09-2016 06:18 PM #252
      Another thing I wanted to ask. With the improvement in damping, will the Ultimo springs be up to the task? What spring upgrade would be more beneficial for the wife's GLI(in this case) over the stock coils? I'm looking to finally bring the GLI to its original stance height, but improve both the handling and damping.

Currently have Red Raceland springs for the rear which I am planning on using Koni rear adjustable Yellows with
      Green coils for the front and will pair these up with the adjustable Konis(guessing no helper spring is needed but have it)

E

Vehicles
      '00 Golf TDi, '02 Beetle TDi, '00 GTi 1.8t
      03-09-2016 06:29 PM #253
      I can't speak to the Ultimo springs - I have no clue what rate they are - but you can select from the vast array of 2.5" coil springs up to ~400# rates on the Koni RACE inserts. There are many places you can pick up aftermarket 2.5" linear and progressive rates. As your rate goes up you will need to select shorter spring lengths to maintain ride height. On the Koni strut housing you can just get by with an 8" spring length at 300# rate. By 400# rate you are looking at more like a 6.5-7" spring if you plan to lower the car much. I expect the Ultimo bodies will give you more room as the Koni bodies don't go all that low to begin with. A rate around 300 with the insert set at 1/2 to 3/4 is pretty reasonable on the street. 400 puts you right at the edge of critically damped at full hard on a 1.8t. With 400# rates and 18s it's firm and fast but not jarring.

I hope that gives you a little bit to work on.

Good luck!
      -T

4. 03-09-2016 06:59 PM #254
      Quote Originally Posted by highly View Post
      I can't speak to the Ultimo springs - I have no clue what rate they are - but you can select from the vast array of 2.5" coil springs up to ~400# rates on the Koni RACE inserts. There are many places you can pick up aftermarket 2.5" linear and progressive rates. As your rate goes up you will need to select shorter spring lengths to maintain ride height. On the Koni strut housing you can just get by with an 8" spring length at 300# rate. By 400# rate you are looking at more like a 6.5-7" spring if you plan to lower the car much. I expect the Ultimo bodies will give you more room as the Koni bodies don't go all that low to begin with. A rate around 300 with the insert set at 1/2 to 3/4 is pretty reasonable on the street. 400 puts you right at the edge of critically damped at full hard on a 1.8t. With 400# rates and 18s it's firm and fast but not jarring.

I hope that gives you a little bit to work on.

Good luck!
      -T
      Thank you for the super quick reply. This helps a lot. The Raceland site puts the front coils at 385 lbs/in, but can't find anything on the Red rears( I have looked for a while now)

Your reply T gives me a good point to start from. I will definitely try to get the control arms as close to ground parallel as possible and see if I can muster the dough for these CAs http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php...oducts_id=1525 to help the car get a more optimal alignment.

The Koni inserts should definitely be up to the task and then some. The Ultimo conversion seems more practical if one found a decent set of coil-overs in need of rebuild for the right price.

Thanks again.

5. Junior Member CreatorAmongFriends's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2006 Jetta Wagon TDI MK4
      03-10-2016 10:28 AM #255
      Hey Guys,

I'm picking up a set of blown FK Streetlines this week with the intention of doing just this.

The issue I have is being up in Canada is that exchange and shipping etc kill us. I've been looking around to see what other options there are to the Koni's with no such luck.

Could we assemble a list of available struts that could fit based on their specs within our various housings? I've been quoted upwards of 600+ CAD each for the Koni race inserts.

Thanks!

Vehicles
      mk5 and cx-5 /ex mk4 owner
      03-11-2016 09:45 AM #256
      ive looked. i put in many months looking when i was doing the conversion. besides the original fk inserts and the other junk inserts in any other coilover. the konis are the best. i did look through a monroe catalog and found ones similiar in dimensions but are probably just a cheap insert like whats in sub $500 coilovers.
      check summit racing. im sure they can work something out.
      Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

7. 03-16-2016 10:49 PM #257
      Quote Originally Posted by scirockalot8v View Post
      ive looked. i put in many months looking when i was doing the conversion. besides the original fk inserts and the other junk inserts in any other coilover. the konis are the best. i did look through a monroe catalog and found ones similiar in dimensions but are probably just a cheap insert like whats in sub $500 coilovers.
      check summit racing. im sure they can work something out.

There is always something like this.

http://autoplicity.com/247724-koni-r...e-strut-insert

I have the rears on order (have to do the kit in split form as I am upgrading other things on my wife's car.

BTW if anyone has the correct gland nut measurements for the Ultimos, please PM me. Looking for the correct tool currently, or will make one.

E

Vehicles
      03-17-2016 06:30 AM #258
      those might be too long. i think someone in here used them and extended his bodies to use them.

9. 03-17-2016 08:33 AM #259
      those might be too long. i think someone in here used them and extended his bodies to use them.

I believe so. A few pages up. There's also the use of these in the taller cool over bodies. Sometimes using the phone is not the best for going through the different pages.

10. 04-03-2016 03:59 PM #260
      I wonder how these will fair in the same body for the Raceland Ultimos. Still trying to figure out if I want to keep the Ultimo Coils with their stock rates as is, or get something different. For the fronts the link provided was very helpful http://pitstopusa.com/c-133487-chass...r-springs.html, but for the rears, I wonder what will work best. The 385lbs front and 240lbs rear rate for the Green coils of the Ultimos seems ok, but I wonder what else I would beed to tie it in better and not go low. I plan on keep the ride height as is on the wife's GLI.

Thank you all again for this amazing thread.

E

Quote Originally Posted by petethepug View Post
      8610-1436 Single adjustable (@ top) 8610-1436 - 11.42" height - 5.63" stroke
      8611-1257 Double adjustable (top & bottom) 11.42" height - 5.63" stroke

Thank these guys
      http://community.ratsun.net/topic/39...r-shock-guide/

I noticed that these guys tend to display the Spec's if the Koni strut inserts sold on their site
      http://thmotorsports.com/koni/koni_r...e/i-98619.aspx
      Last edited by Ephry73; 04-03-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Vehicles
      68 Squareback -APR Stg 2 03 GTI - APR Stg 1 13 Tiguan SEL
      04-05-2016 09:45 AM #261
      Spring rates and all that jazz arent my forte but I can tell you this that on the red racelands I run my konis at full stiff. Paired with those springs it absorbs bumps very well and still maintains a very solid ride. Last time I really put it to the test was last year at Sowo. Was at full soft and hated it. Turned it all the way and the difference was amazing. thats whats great about the adjustable aspect of these inserts.

Pic from Sowo after a nice mountain drive.

Instagram: @NINEFOOTERS

12. 04-05-2016 11:01 AM #262
      Spring rates and all that jazz arent my forte but I can tell you this that on the red racelands I run my konis at full stiff. Paired with those springs it absorbs bumps very well and still maintains a very solid ride. Last time I really put it to the test was last year at Sowo. Was at full soft and hated it. Turned it all the way and the difference was amazing. thats whats great about the adjustable aspect of these inserts.

Pic from Sowo after a nice mountain drive.

Glad to hear it. I was able to get a few replies from Raceland about their Red coils. Ultimos are advertised as 385lbs/in front and 240lbs/in rear. Reds are listed 325lbs/in front and progressive rear. Since the rear of the Reds are listed as progressive, they cannot tell me what their specific rate is. I Will try a combination of green/green and red/green to see what works best for my wife. I have a feeling the greens will be a tad too stiff for her every day driving, but we shall see.

Right now the project is a full go and this will definitely be a go-to setup for me in the future.

E

Vehicles
      04-05-2016 11:20 AM #263
      i just put st x coilovers on my mk5, and im trying really hard not to void the warranty and stuff koni's in the tubes. the ST's ride amazing but having that adjustabily is icing on the cake.
      ST's stuffed with Koni goodness....might happen.

14. 04-13-2016 11:30 AM #264
      Will be getting the Koni inserts next week. Also updating to TT spindles and doing a full break and front end refresh before alignment. Then to fine tune the ride and my wife can have her car back lol

Will try the Ultimo green/green springs first and see how it goes.

15. 05-17-2016 11:05 PM #265
      Bump! Summer is almost here

16. 12-17-2016 01:36 PM #266
      Forgot to update this at the end of summer. For my conversion the ultimo bodies with the race Koni inserts did not need for a spacer or any mod. I purchased some thick washers to test the depth of the insert but ended up not needing anything. Just secured the gland nut and used loctite to ensure it wouldn't back out with vibration. Shock bodies are tight and the fit is perfect. Will definitely try to get this done on my A4 B6 for more adjustability. Being able to adjust rebound and height is a nice combo. On the Audi I'll even try the damping an rebound shocks and see how that goes.

See the ultimo insert versus the Koni sport.

Last edited by Ephraim; 12-17-2016 at 04:07 PM.

17. 01-25-2017 09:02 PM #267
      The way the GLI stands now. After driving a few hundred miles the suspension should be settled. 24" up front and 24.5" out back( from ground to bottom of fender lip wheel centerline)

Vehicles
      01 jetta 1.8t, 14 tiguan 4mo
      03-20-2017 08:06 PM #268

Anyone running the 1257's
      Last edited by vwturbowolf; 03-20-2017 at 09:05 PM.
      415+whp. 355+ wtq
      Timeline, Build, RHD swap
      my 10 year+ build
      instagram: vwturbowolf

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1981 Jetta 16v, 1977 Scirocco
      03-21-2017 12:19 AM #269
      How relevant is this thread, now that Raceland has adjustable dampening in their $500 "Primo" coilovers? With adjustability in both the front and rear?
      The bodies and springs are identical to the Ultimos, just with added dampening adjustment.

I actually just bought a set. I'm curious as to how they stack up against Konis

Vehicles
      01 jetta 1.8t, 14 tiguan 4mo
      03-21-2017 07:11 AM #270
      Quote Originally Posted by ArsenicPants View Post
      How relevant is this thread, now that Raceland has adjustable dampening in their $500 "Primo" coilovers? With adjustability in both the front and rear?
      The bodies and springs are identical to the Ultimos, just with added dampening adjustment.

I think it still helpful to some. I originally bought bilstein pss9 costing a little over 1500$ then when my front adjusters became seized I bought racelands for the front. I've been throwing the idea at another set of coils but all the ones I'd buy are 1300$ + and can't justify that right now. This seems like a alternative atm since I already have a set in hand.
      415+whp. 355+ wtq
      Timeline, Build, RHD swap
      my 10 year+ build
      instagram: vwturbowolf

Vehicles
      68 Squareback -APR Stg 2 03 GTI - APR Stg 1 13 Tiguan SEL
      03-21-2017 08:22 AM #271
      Quote Originally Posted by vwturbowolf View Post

Anyone running the 1257's
      I dont recall them having that option when I did mine. But if mine ever blow I will most likely give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ArsenicPants View Post

relevant as you want it to be I suppose. While you still have raceland stamped on the body, the guts are what matter and having something reputable as Koni is worth it to me. Example, the koni inserts I have ride better and have lasted twice as long as the original racelands before they blew out. Based on my experience I would never buy anything raceland again because their quality is sub par. But at the same time I dont have any desire to spend the 1200+ on the coilovers I want, so this is the next best option in my opinion. I have ridden in a car with primos, i still dont think they stack up to what the konis deliver.
      Instagram: @NINEFOOTERS

Vehicles
      03-23-2017 09:13 AM #272
      Preach brotha!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 gti
      05-25-2017 06:39 PM #273
      Preach brotha!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
      On an earlier post a few years back you mentioned you had the konis set to full soft. how would you rate the ride comfort? would you say it was as nice or better than new stock shocks?

24. 05-25-2017 07:27 PM #274
      I dont recall them having that option when I did mine. But if mine ever blow I will most likely give it a shot.

relevant as you want it to be I suppose. While you still have raceland stamped on the body, the guts are what matter and having something reputable as Koni is worth it to me. Example, the koni inserts I have ride better and have lasted twice as long as the original racelands before they blew out. Based on my experience I would never buy anything raceland again because their quality is sub par. But at the same time I dont have any desire to spend the 1200+ on the coilovers I want, so this is the next best option in my opinion. I have ridden in a car with primos, i still dont think they stack up to what the konis deliver.
      Yes! And to add, completely relevant as a rebuild thread. Once the Raceland insert bust, replace with good quality Koni inserts and enjoy quality and durability for a fraction of the cost

For advertising information click HERE

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011