Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    1. 12-26-2012 01:57 PM #1
      OK so my gf currently owns a 2007 Voodoo Blue Portapotty Edition FJ. 77k miles. Automatic with roof rack. She bought it brand new back in 07. She just wants a new one before she has to start putting money into a 6 year old SUV.

She wants a 2013 Magma Orange FJ. Auto. Premium package and Roof rack.

I'm thinking her FJ + $10,000.00 +/- should do this deal? Am I way off on this?

We were at the stealer this past Saturday. They located an Orange Auto + Roof rack model. However they balked at my proposal. She got a follow up call today from the dealer asking for us to come back in. I know there are a lot of dealer types in here and I'd rather not waste my time if this deal can't/likely won't happen. The way she looks at it she will get a brand new car if it only costs her $10k. Otherwise she will keep her current FJ.

TIA for the help TCL.

Pics:

Her truck:

What she wants/is looking at (looks just like this):
      Last edited by kwik!gti; 12-26-2012 at 02:01 PM.

2. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      His + Hers = 815hp
      12-26-2012 01:59 PM #2
      Respray current truck

Vehicles
      2005 Outback XT, Truck, Boat, Quad
      12-26-2012 02:02 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Giant deer orgy statue, whale sex videos, and turtle pee-pee which pops out like a pouncing snake.

4. 12-26-2012 02:03 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B. View Post
      Respray current truck
      She wants some thing brnad new. Warranty. Peace of mind type deal. As it is she has already started to put some money into the maintenance on her current FJ. Right now with 77k miles it's still worth a good chunk of money as opposed to trading it in/selling it in a couple years and another 24k miles etc....

She loves the Voodoo blue by the way. It's not so much a color thing. It's just that if she is going to change cars she wants a new color. Her favorite color is orange

5. 12-26-2012 02:04 PM #6
      Shouldn't it be able to last 6+ more years w/o any problems?

Once you pull off the lot w/ the new one, would it be worth 10k more than the current one market wise?

Vehicles
      MKV, E30
      12-26-2012 02:04 PM #7

Vehicles
      My driveway looks like a shady used car lot
      12-26-2012 02:06 PM #8
      So she doesn't want to maintain her FJ because it costs money.

But she's willing to trade in hers and $10k for the exact same truck.

77 F100, 83 244, 94 540i

8. 12-26-2012 02:06 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by alexislow View Post

Brilliant

9. 12-26-2012 02:06 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by fiveovercrest View Post
      Shouldn't it be able to last 6+ more years w/o any problems?

Once you pull off the lot w/ the new one, would it be worth 10k more than the current one market wise?
      One would like to think that it would be 6 more years. However who knows?

Would it be worth 10k more to her? In a nutshell, yes. That's the deal we are looking for.

10. 12-26-2012 02:07 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      So she doesn't want to maintain her FJ because it costs money.

But she's willing to trade in hers and $10k for the exact same truck.

She has maintained her FJ. She's very very good with that.

It's not the same exact truck. It would have zero miles and be brand new instead of 6 years old with almost 80k miles.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Past: 1988 Acura Legend Coupe 5sp, 1995 Mitsu 3kGT, 2001.5 Jetta 1.8t. Current: 2008
      12-26-2012 02:07 PM #12
      There's a thread somewhere around here noting that the FJ has the highest resale value of pretty much any used car. Not sure if it is according to Edmunds or another source, but you may want to check into selling the car independently if she can get more out of the independent sale than she'd pay in extra taxes for not trading it in.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      09 G37 Sedan 6MT
      12-26-2012 02:09 PM #13
      In other words, she wants to pay 10K to extend her bumper to bumper warranty 3 years. Common sense is really lacking.

13. 12-26-2012 02:10 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by madmax2k1 View Post
      In other words, she wants to pay 10K to extend her bumper to bumper warranty 3 years. Common sense is really lacking.
      Correct. She wants a new car after having her current car for 6 years.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      Past: 1988 Acura Legend Coupe 5sp, 1995 Mitsu 3kGT, 2001.5 Jetta 1.8t. Current: 2008
      12-26-2012 02:12 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by kwik!gti View Post

It's not the same exact truck. It would have zero miles and be brand new instead of 6 years old with almost 80k miles.
      Dude, it's a toyota truck. Almost 80k miles is nothing. If she wants to spend the money and has it, more power to her, but I'm pretty sure she can make more money off that 10K if wisely put to use than she'd spend in extra maintenance over the next few years. That truck should be able to hit 200k miles with relatively few problems.

Vehicles
      '13 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP, '13 Ford F-150, Screw, FX4, EcoBoost
      12-26-2012 02:12 PM #16
      Weird, I bought a new Tacoma back in 1998 and drove for 6-7 years, 100K miles and didn't do anything else to it besides oil changes and a brake job. OP's GF must drive the snot out of that thing to need repairs and feel like it's worn-out at 70K miles.

Vehicles
      12-26-2012 02:12 PM #17
      do you expect something else from OP?
      Giant deer orgy statue, whale sex videos, and turtle pee-pee which pops out like a pouncing snake.

17. 12-26-2012 02:13 PM #18
      And she wants something new but not something different.

Sounds like an excuse just to make a purchase w/o a real need present. It's nice to get something new.

18. 12-26-2012 02:15 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
      Weird, I bought a new Tacoma back in 1998 and drove for 6-7 years, 100K miles and didn't do anything else to it besides oil changes and a brake job. OP's GF must drive the snot out of that thing to need repairs and feel like it's worn-out at 70K miles.
      I didn't say it needed repairs. Maybe you can quote me where I said that?

19. 12-26-2012 02:16 PM #20
      I'll check in later after the normal 1st page tomfollery sibsides. Looking for some helpful insight. Thanks.

Edit: by helpful I mean people who possibly work at Toyota/dealers to let me know if they think the deal I proposed could happen or if I'm wasting my time. Thanks.
      Last edited by kwik!gti; 12-26-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      12-26-2012 02:21 PM #21
      Thought about leasing?

Vehicles
      12-26-2012 02:21 PM #22
      /thread

22. 12-26-2012 02:23 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      Thought about leasing?
      She's not interested in leasing. I suggested it and we looked into that but it doesn't fit the needs as she might be in a position where she will need to accumulate mileage that would exceed the lease allowance.

Vehicles
      '13 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP, '13 Ford F-150, Screw, FX4, EcoBoost
      12-26-2012 02:25 PM #24
      o Blue Portapotty Edition FJ. 77k miles. Automatic with roof rack. She bought it brand new back in 07. She just wants a new one before she has to start putting money into a 6 year old SUV.

What on this vehicle is she worried about having to put money into? I've got a friend with an '05 Tacoma, Crew Cab, V6, Auto with 150,XXX+ miles on it and he has not so much turned a wrench on it, nor has it been to the dealer for anything outside of an oil change. A Tacoma and FJ are basically one and the same from a drivetrain standpoint. Cliche to say, but your GF's FJ aint even broken in yet. Just saying.
      Last edited by Pool Runner; 12-26-2012 at 02:28 PM.

24. 12-26-2012 02:28 PM #25
      Stupidity can stimulate the economy too.

This sounds like a great investment to me. I say she do it.

The car is worth about $13k according to Edmunds. New MSRP is $26k, so unless you find a place that is willing to put money on the hood you will need more then $10k if you want to avoid financing.

25. 12-26-2012 02:29 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
      What on this vehicle is she worried about having to put money into? I've got a friend with an '05 Tacoma, Crew Cab, V6, Auto with 150,XXX+ miles on it and he has not so much turned a wrench on it, nor has it been to the dealer for anything outside of an oil change. A Tacoma and FJ are basically one and the same from a drivetrain standpoint. Cliche to say, but your GF's FJ aint even broken in yet. Just saying.
      She just did the rear wheel bearings. Common issue with these apparently. Not easy to do either it turns out. There I listed something for you.

Onto the point of this thread now. Thanks.

26. 12-26-2012 02:31 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by The Ninja View Post
      Stupidity can stimulate the economy too.

This sounds like a great investment to me. I say she do it.

The car is worth about $13k according to Edmunds. New MSRP is $26k, so unless you find a place that is willing to put money on the hood you will need more then $10k if you want to avoid financing.
      Where did you get the numbers b/c that's not the numbers I have? Just curious.

Vehicles
      My driveway looks like a shady used car lot
      12-26-2012 02:33 PM #28

I see where you're coming from, but I could almost gauruntee that keeping her current FJ for 6 more years is going to cost way less than 10k to maintain.
      77 F100, 83 244, 94 540i

28. 12-26-2012 02:36 PM #29
      ...so to recap:
      1) she wants something NEW, but exact same as the old. (Argue semantics all you want that it's not the same. It is to everyone else)
      2) She doesn't want to sink money into repairs (you DID say that) but there is nothing wrong with it... but she is also willing to sink that money into rapidly depreciating brand new vehicle.
      3) It's 6 years old and only has ~70000, but she doesn't want to lease because of the mileage restrictions.

I would love to be around to listen to the arguments in your household

a) Find someone that can reset the odometer
      b) Do a vinyl wrap in the colour she wants.
      c) Get a detail done on the interior.
      d) New tires and a gallon of your favourite plastic reconditioner.

29. 12-26-2012 02:36 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      I see where you're coming from, but I could almost gauruntee that keeping her current FJ for 6 more years is going to cost way less than 10k to maintain.
      Agreed. Although in 6 more years her car will be worth considerably less as well both privately and trade in. So that factors in as well. She can get still get really good money for the FJ at this point. That begins to taper off significantly when you get past 80k miles and start getting into 100k miles plus. The money she saves is somewhat negated by the money she loses on the car as it accumulates miles and depreciates.

30. 12-26-2012 02:38 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by I once had a jetta View Post
      3) It's 6 years old and only has ~70000, but she doesn't want to lease because of the mileage restrictions.
      Her past mileage isn't indicative of future mileage. Keep that in mind.

12-26-2012 02:39 PM #32
      I don't know about the deal, but I would do it just for the favorite color, warranty, and all of the upgrades and improvements the 2007's don't have. (revised fender aprons, backup camera, bluetooth connectivity, led tail lights, defeatable traction control, additional driver and passenger visors and front map lights, and all of those silly things).

I have a 2010 army green FJ (that I traded my '07 for), and I'd trade it for a '12 red trail teams edition in a heartbeat if I could, common sense be damned. If you never get the one you really want you'll always be kicking yourself later, and you'll never be as motivated to sink money into it. Chances are, if she loves the FJ enough to want another one after 5 years, she'll probably keep the orange one the rest of her life.

32. 12-26-2012 02:42 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Code-7 View Post
      I don't know about the deal, but I would do it just for the favorite color, warranty, and all of the upgrades and improvements the 2007's don't have. (revised fender aprons, backup camera, bluetooth connectivity, led tail lights, defeatable traction control, additional driver and passenger visors and front map lights, and all of those silly things).

I have a 2010 army green FJ (that I traded my '07 for), and I'd trade it for a '12 red trail teams edition in a heartbeat if I could, common sense be damned. If you never get the one you really want you'll always be kicking yourself later, and you'll never be as motivated to sink money into it. Chances are, if she loves the FJ enough to want another one after 5 years, she'll probably keep the orange one the rest of her life.
      Both of us like all the new things the newer FJ offers as well. I didn't want to argue with people about it being EXACTLY the same. It's not. There are some nice differences that she would enjoy. Backup camera and much improved audio being just 2 that you mentioned.

She has had only 2 cars her whole life. She keeps vehicles a very long time. I have no doubt she would keep the orange one (if she gets it) a very long time. Thanks for the post.

33. 12-26-2012 02:47 PM #34
      Her past mileage isn't indicative of future mileage. Keep that in mind.
      But that also only sounds speculative at the moment.

And you never disputed any of the other points
      Why would you pile the miles on a brand new vehicle and depreciate it even further? Pile them on top of the perfectly fine, low mileage, well maintained Toyota truck that is already paid for.

Steer her towards buying something else that is new to scratch the itch.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      12-26-2012 02:50 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by I once had a jetta View Post
      ...so to recap:
      1) she wants something NEW, but exact same as the old. (Argue semantics all you want that it's not the same. It is to everyone else)
      2) She doesn't want to sink money into repairs (you DID say that) but there is nothing wrong with it... but she is also willing to sink that money into rapidly depreciating brand new vehicle.

I would love to be around to listen to the arguments in your household

a) Find someone that can reset the odometer
      b) Do a vinyl wrap in the colour she wants.
      c) Get a detail done on the interior.
      d) New tires and a gallon of your favourite plastic reconditioner.

seriously this. add a couple of these under the seats,

collect "monthly payment" from her, and save for future repairs.

spend the rest on hookers and blow.

is there even a difference between a 2007 and a 2013 FJ? i mean mechanically/cosmetically/ anything at all? other than its going to be a new engine/car?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast