Last edited by Charles Devine; 06-16-2014 at 04:18 PM.
For my reference. and those wondering how I'm going to try and tackle the headliner. Using Marc's headliner as my project picture.
1. (RED)We start with the worst part the dome light area, tack down the material how you want it and let it dry the ~20 minutes
2. (LIGHT BLUE) Stretch the material down to the headliner base and form the corners.
3. (GREEN) Easy part, move out to the outer area making sure no creases from the transition from the sunroof to the sun visor locations.
4. (ORANGE) Pin the corners
5. (RED) Prepare for the first pockets leaving slack to stretch the suede all it will give, if required heat.
6. (LIGHT BLUE) The main section, again leaving slack for the next step for it to slack and fill the pocket.
7. (GREEN) Pocket time, the easier one should be enough slack to set the suede in the pocket.
ETA completion provided I don't go visit family is the end of this weekend.
Something came in a little bit early this week. Foam backed suede for that stretch you need and that look you want.
Woo, Waiting for the weekend!
Also as promised a ton of pictures of the intsall of the Chinese radio antenna.
Underside of the new antenna
Without the nut. Just an FYI that rubber grommet stays on the antenna and acts as a crush piece to seal off the environment.
Stock unit plugged in and looks like someone installed it incorrectly from the factory because the foam piece was in great condition until I ripped it.
Outside before removal just for reference.
The underside of the stock unit. Notice the rubber gromment was crushed. and still on the antenna.
Photo of the grime.
Cleaned my hole yo'
Nut on and wire correctly run.
Everything in position
From afar you can't even really see it anymore.
Really far away. Sorry for the fuzzy picture, I only have a phone.
questions, comments, concerns?
Last edited by Charles Devine; 06-17-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Oh I almost forgot the video of the radio itself. The signal is still good, I can never seem to get 95.1 by my house so I can't really say the antenna has hurt my range. Every other station I have on my radio all 2 come in perfectly.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ntWwpAmCVHU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
Nice work! I like the antenna a lot, when I drop my headliner to put a new one on I am deff doing this or the shark fin. I really like the one on my 4Runner I wonder if it would work.
Looks like it works pretty well. I might need to do this because my stubby antenna killed my reception completely. Which isn't that bad because I don't listen to radio much, but when there are passengers I generally don't subject them to my music, lol. Also the shark fin is a nice look for it. Link to where it was purchased from?
Stopped in to see what this thread was about and I definitely like what's happening
As for the antenna subject my reception is horrible right now with my stubby, but I don't remember it being much better with the OEM antenna. I like the shark fin but not enough to put it on my own car, plus I really don't feel like ripping my headliner out just to replace my antenna. You definitely did it at the right time.
Keep up the good work