KilometerMagazine.com - Latest Golf R news for Canadians
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 355 123451151101 ... LastLast
      11-28-2014 02:30 PM #1
      For those of us in Canada, sitting on pins and needles and awaiting for more news on the availability of the new Golf R in our market, I have just received the following news via a Volkswagen Canada communication to dealers. I'm hoping this will answer some of the questions you may have had, or provide more details on when, what, how and why we will be receiving our Golf 7 R in the Canadian market.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkswagen Canada Product Planning Letter

November 28, 2014

TO: All Volkswagen Dealers

ATTENTION: Dealer Principals, General Managers, Sales Managers
      SUBJECT: Next Generation Golf R

We are pleased to provide you with an update on the product details and launch plans for the next generation Golf R in Canada. The last generation of the Golf R was a huge success in our market, despite being available in limited quantities and for a limited production run. The next generation model will be available for a full 5 year lifecycle and, as such, be part of your regular Golf allocation.

VW Canada plans to launch the all-new Golf R in the late summer of 2015 as a 2016 model. Rather than launch the Golf R at the same time as the GTI Performance (as is to be the case with VWoA), launching at the commencement of the 2016 model year will allow us to able to bring to market all the new features and technology available with these models, and will also allow us to offer both transmissions from the time of launch.

Standard features include:
      • 2.0 TSI engine featuring 292 hp/280 lb.-ft. torque
      •  4MOTION all-wheel drive
      •  Standard 6 speed manual transmission
      •  Available 6 speed DSG automatic
      •  19 inch “Cadiz” alloy wheels with summer performance tires
      •  Bi-Xenon headlights with LED DRL’s and AFS
      •  MIB Generation II Infotainment
      •  Discover Media Navigation
      •  Fender Premium Audio
      •  Dynamic Chassis Control
      •  Leather Top Sport Seats
      •  12 way power driver’s seat
      •  Climatronic
      •  KESSY
      •  Rear View Camera

You may have noticed that a sunroof is missing from the list of features on the all-new Golf R. This is the case for all North American cars as engineering for the Golf R was shared with the eGolf to speed up its arrival into our market. We will continue to work with the factory to offer a sunroof on the Golf R sometime during its 5 year lifecycle.

We plan to offer the Golf R in a variety of exterior colours, including the feature colour Lapiz Blue Metallic, Tornado Red, Deep Black Pearl and Reflex Silver Metallic. For the first time on a Golf, Oryx White Pearl will be available at extra cost. A photo of a European-spec Golf R in the new Lapiz Blue Metallic with the 19 inch “Cadiz” alloy wheels can be seen below.

The Golf R will also be available with a Technology Package that adds several Advanced Driving Assistance features to the mix along with the eagerly awaited Discover Pro navigation system. Further details will be provided prior to the start of dealer orders, currently planned for March 2015 (June Production).

The official unveiling of the Golf R, price announcement and start of the pre-sales campaign will occur on Press Day of the 2015 Canadian International Auto Show which
      will take place in February 2015 in Toronto.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      11-28-2014 05:23 PM #2
      Hi Jouko,
      Thanks so much for posting this! I remember that you helped many of us mk6 R owners with information as we impatiently waited for VW Canada to get their act together. Quick question for you though: As the new Golf R is a standard part of the model line up now, what do you think the likelihood is of them actually adding the sunroof within the four or five model years? I know you don't have a crystal ball, but has VW Canada done something similar in the past?

I was first in line at my dealership here in BC, but I think the lack of a sunroof will be a deal killer for me. I don't mind waiting a year or two if they're going to add it though.

Thanks again!

Vehicles
      '13 Jetta TDI Highline, 2016 .:R ordered
      11-28-2014 06:55 PM #3
      ATTENTION: Dealer Principals, General Managers, Sales Managers
      SUBJECT: Next Generation Golf R

We are pleased to provide you with an update on the product details and launch plans for the next generation Golf R in Canada. The last generation of the Golf R was a huge success in our market, despite being available in limited quantities and for a limited production run. The next generation model will be available for a full 5 year lifecycle and, as such, be part of your regular Golf allocation.

VW Canada plans to launch the all-new Golf R in the late summer of 2015 as a 2016 model. Rather than launch the Golf R at the same time as the GTI Performance (as is to be the case with VWoA), launching at the commencement of the 2016 model year will allow us to able to bring to market all the new features and technology available with these models, and will also allow us to offer both transmissions from the time of launch.

Standard features include:

2.0 TSI engine featuring 292 hp/280 lb.-ft. torque
       4MOTION all-wheel drive
       Standard 6 speed manual transmission
       Available 6 speed DSG automatic
       19 inch “Cadiz” alloy wheels with summer performance tires
       Bi-Xenon headlights with LED DRL’s and AFS
       MIB Generation II Infotainment
       Discover Media Navigation
       Fender Premium Audio
       Dynamic Chassis Control
       Leather Top Sport Seats
       12 way power driver’s seat
       Climatronic
       KESSY
       Rear View Camera

You may have noticed that a sunroof is missing from the list of features on the all-new Golf R. This is the case for all North American cars as engineering for the Golf R was shared with the eGolf to speed up its arrival into our market. We will continue to work with the factory to offer a sunroof on the Golf R sometime during its 5 year lifecycle.

We plan to offer the Golf R in a variety of exterior colours, including the feature colour Lapiz Blue Metallic, Tornado Red, Deep Black Pearl and Reflex Silver Metallic. For the first time on a Golf, Oryx White Pearl will be available at extra cost. A photo of a European-spec Golf R in the new Lapiz Blue Metallic with the 19 inch “Cadiz” alloy wheels can be seen below.

The Golf R will also be available with a Technology Package that adds several Advanced Driving Assistance features to the mix along with the eagerly awaited Discover Pro navigation system. Further details will be provided prior to the start of dealer orders, currently planned for March 2015 (June Production).

The official unveiling of the Golf R, price announcement and start of the pre-sales campaign will occur on Press Day of the 2015 Canadian International Auto Show which
      will take place in February 2015 in Toronto.
      Thanks for valued update!
      Oryx White and 8' NAV - I'm wondering should I sell a part of a liver for those two, or a kidney would be enough?
      Can we do something to swap those butt-ugly Cadiz for Pretorias? Pretty plz? Both are 19', the price shouldn't be THAT different...
      Last edited by s0l0ma; 11-29-2014 at 12:37 AM.
      Тракторист

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      11-28-2014 08:28 PM #4
      Thanks very much for the info Jouko

The Cadiz are slowly growing on me, but 19" is going to be a no-no (for me anyway) with the state of the roads here in QC
      Bummed there's no mention of Limestone Grey, especially as they are getting it in the States.

So.... It looks like i'm in for Reflex Silver and maybe swap the Cadiz for a set of 18" Rotary wheels or similar. Grateful for more news but it's going to be a long wait.....

5. Member
      Vehicles
      997 911
      11-29-2014 12:18 AM #5
      Thanks for the info.
      Tech pack in Blue (DSG) will work for me.
      Would prefer the Pretoria wheels but oh well can't have everything.

Vehicles
      11-29-2014 12:36 AM #6
      Hum, interesting - Oryx White for 2015 Beetle is 395$ extra...sounds WAY better than 1400$ ROW...
      Тракторист

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R, 2014 Tiguan
      11-29-2014 07:32 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by s0l0ma View Post
      Thanks for valued update!
      Oryx White and 8' NAV - I'm wondering should I sell a part of a liver for those two, or a kidney would be enough?
      Can we do something to swap those butt-ugly Cadiz for Pretorias? Pretty plz? Both are 19', the price shouldn't be THAT different...
      I doubt we'll get the 8" here -- VWoA has already stated that the current screen will be upgraded to a 6.5" (if i recall correctly) for MY2016. I'd expect that we will get the same here in Canada.

I am definitely surprised we'll be getting oryx white though -- saw this colour in person last year. Man, it's a very nice looking white.

Edit: I re-read the OP.... It's interesting how they worded it. I see now why you're thinking we may be getting the 8". Hmmmm. Interesting.....
      Last edited by ntj; 11-29-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R, 2014 Tiguan
      11-29-2014 07:33 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Jouko Haapanen View Post
      For those of us in Canada, sitting on pins and needles and awaiting for more news on the availability of the new Golf R in our market, I have just received the following news via a Volkswagen Canada communication to dealers. I'm hoping this will answer some of the questions you may have had, or provide more details on when, what, how and why we will be receiving our Golf 7 R in the Canadian market.

Thanks for posting, Jouko! This is some great info.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R, 2014 Tiguan
      11-29-2014 07:42 AM #9
      19" on Canadian roads just seems like a mistake..... Wish they'd give us the 18" with an option for the 19's for those who want them.

But alas, I'll take what I can get.

10. 11-29-2014 09:38 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ntj View Post
      19" on Canadian roads just seems like a mistake..... Wish they'd give us the 18" with an option for the 19's for those who want them.

But alas, I'll take what I can get.
      I'm disappointed about the 19" too as I was planning on winter tires for the Cadiz rims. I imagine it will be far more expensive or impossible to find winters to fit the 19"s

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '16 GTI
      11-29-2014 10:37 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ntj View Post
      I doubt we'll get the 8" here -- VWoA has already stated that the current screen will be upgraded to a 6.5" (if i recall correctly) for MY2016. I'd expect that we will get the same here in Canada.

I am definitely surprised we'll be getting oryx white though -- saw this colour in person last year. Man, it's a very nice looking white.

Edit: I re-read the OP.... It's interesting how they worded it. I see now why you're thinking we may be getting the 8". Hmmmm. Interesting.....
      The release states that the Canadian version will come standard with the 2nd gen infotainment setup (MIB Generation II Infotainment), this refers to the 6.5" screen AFAIK. This is great news for you guys

12. Member
      Vehicles
      997 911
      11-29-2014 12:34 PM #12
      Yeah, overall I am pretty happy with what we are getting up here.

13. 11-29-2014 12:51 PM #13
      Pretty happy about everything (as long as park distance sensors are in the tech pack) - except those wheels.

Ah well, hardly a deal-killer.

edit: Thrilled that "car is invisible" Reflex Silver is on the list of colours.
      Last edited by spoonie; 11-29-2014 at 03:46 PM.
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3
      1987 Peugeot PB-18 – Manual Power
      1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R
      11-29-2014 03:44 PM #14
      Wish we were getting Reflex Silver in the States.

Vehicles
      mk7R/2012 Golf R/ 2012 GLI (previous VWG: 04 S4 /06 TDI /11 TDI /12 EOS /03 GTI)
      11-29-2014 06:55 PM #15
      Great information OP. Thank you. My dad has bought from Georgetown before and I might just give you guys a crack at selling me my next R.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2014 JSW TDI
      11-29-2014 08:46 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by brennok View Post
      Wish we were getting Reflex Silver in the States.
      likewise!! I might sit out this first wave in hopes of a silver, sunroof, 6.5" or 8" in 2016.

17. 11-29-2014 09:45 PM #17
      Thank you Jouko for posting this very exciting information! May I say you are one Dealer Principal that is on the 'ball' and very active and enthusiastic and I for one appreciate the information you kindly provide us very much for the CDN market. Heck, you provide us with more knowledge and information than VW Canada does or from their website... just my 2 cent's.

This exciting Golf R information will make the wait till the Toronto Auto Show a little less longer! I will go to the Detroit Auto show as well to see the month before!

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 A4
      11-29-2014 11:03 PM #18
      Thanks very much for the update. Bummer for me, though…lease is up in May, so will miss out (this time around, anyway).

19. Member
      Vehicles
      997 911
      11-30-2014 09:05 AM #19
      Something I have been thinking about since the oil and subsequent Canadian dollar drop is the price of this R when it gets to Canada.

Do a direct conversion on the loaded US model: $US39090 X 1.142 (current rate) = 44,640.

That's just an exchange rate conversion. Throw in the fact that almost all vehicles in Canada are even higher than just the conversion and this could be a pricey car by the time it gets to Canada in late 2015. Maybe 46K-47K, who knows?

20. 11-30-2014 10:08 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by mixedup View Post
      Thanks very much for the update. Bummer for me, though…lease is up in May, so will miss out (this time around, anyway).
      Many places will allow a month-to-month extension, no?
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3
      1987 Peugeot PB-18 – Manual Power
      1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

Vehicles
      mk7R/2012 Golf R/ 2012 GLI (previous VWG: 04 S4 /06 TDI /11 TDI /12 EOS /03 GTI)
      11-30-2014 11:50 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Maddog78 View Post
      Something I have been thinking about since the oil and subsequent Canadian dollar drop is the price of this R when it gets to Canada.

Do a direct conversion on the loaded US model: $US39090 X 1.142 (current rate) = 44,640.

That's just an exchange rate conversion. Throw in the fact that almost all vehicles in Canada are even higher than just the conversion and this could be a pricey car by the time it gets to Canada in late 2015. Maybe 46K-47K, who knows?
      Not to stir the pot but consider the price of the S3- it is 44k the R will not start at the same or more.

The outgoing R was 39,900 completely loaded ( only option) this R will need to come in around the same give or take 1200 bucks.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      997 911
      11-30-2014 12:43 PM #22
      No you are not stirring the pot. Good point. It may end up that we get the car cheaper than the US.
      Or the 2016 Audi's might have a significant price bump if our dollar keeps going down.
      We will see.

11-30-2014 02:22 PM #23
      Is it impossible to get the Golf R under MSRP in Canada? Do we have access to any partner programs here or the ability to negotiate an invoice price? Thanks.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      997 911
      11-30-2014 02:30 PM #24
      Can always try to negotiate. Don't think you will have much luck early on though. If some units ending up sitting on dealer's lots you will have more luck but I don't think that is likely either. The last R sold much better in Canada per capita than the US.

Plus I see you are in BC like me. My experience is dealers in general are much harder to work down in this part of the world than most other places in Canada.
      Too many people willing to spend to get the latest and shiniest toy in Vancouver.

Vehicles
      11-30-2014 05:50 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Maddog78 View Post
      No you are not stirring the pot. Good point. It may end up that we get the car cheaper than the US.
      Or the 2016 Audi's might have a significant price bump if our dollar keeps going down.
      We will see.
      up 700$ as on Dec build AFAK
      I was getting the quote for Q5 TDI (I know I cross-shop weird cars) and Audi salesperson mentioned 700$ price bump - either it's the case, or she was trying to push the immediate sale...
      PS: still pushes base S3 with 19' and virtually ANY color into >46k range + freight and PDI = 48-49k b4 taxes
      Last edited by s0l0ma; 11-30-2014 at 05:53 PM.
      Тракторист

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 355 123451151101 ... LastLast