Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    1. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      01-28-2016 01:47 PM #251
      Quote Originally Posted by BobL2438 View Post
      I'm pretty sure its still going to look great!
      Yeah, this. It's like my wife's cooking. When it's bad, it's still usually better than what we get at a pretty good restaurant!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      01-28-2016 03:57 PM #252
      Looking damn good.

3. 01-29-2016 02:31 PM #253
      Slipped out of work at lunch and knocked this out. Apparently I didn't take any pictures of what I cut out of the drivers side, but just imagine rust holes. I started with the lip:

Then made the rest of the patch

Badow! Finished the passenger side.

Now I just need to repair the rust in the bottom of the cowl beneath the cover I just finished. And obviously I need to finish welding it up and dressing it. Turned out better than expected.

4. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      01-29-2016 02:35 PM #254
      You obviously have a set of shrinkers/stretchers, but do you personally have a sheet metal brake, too? If I had to guess I'd say you do that kind of thing* at work and take it home with you to fit it up.

*The brake.

5. 01-29-2016 02:44 PM #255
      I've actually got a 48" brake in my parents garage (where I work on the truck)

6. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      01-29-2016 02:45 PM #256
      Quote Originally Posted by Harrison. View Post
      I've actually got a 48" brake in my parents garage (where I work on the truck)
      *shakes fist

7. Member
      Vehicles
      240z, 260z, 280zx, R53 Mini, TJ Wrangler, E30
      01-29-2016 06:11 PM #257
      Straight up Project Binky in here!

Good metal work is so satisfying to watch.

8. 02-05-2016 11:48 AM #258
      It's so nice that it's still light outside after work. Yesterday it was a little too cold to put polyurethane on some furniture I've been working on, so I pushed the cab of the truck outside so that I could use the garage.

Since it was still light I was at least able to get some media blasting done on the cowl area. Sorry, some of these pictures are cropped really weird because they were so blown out from the sunlight in the background.

And what did that expose??

Rust

I also went ahead and cleaned the frame of the hood, I didn't touch either side of the outward facing metal though because I am afraid of warping it.

And of course I blasted the inside of the cowl panel I removed. I've cut the lip on the drivers side off that I put on because I accidently cut the lip too short.

So before I can move on to putting the cab back on the frame to fit the front sheet metal I've got to fix the rust I've exposed in the cowl area and fix the cowl panel where I messed it up. Probably won't get to work on it any this weekend but maybe sometime next week.

9. 02-15-2016 09:11 PM #259
      Finally finished up the table that I'd been working on and got the chance to do work on the truck again

Slowly been working on the cowl area, when I media blasted it I found some pretty intense rust. Some of it you can see in previous posts but whenever I cut metal away, there was more metal underneath that also needed replaced

Made these patch panels

And put them in

Same story on the driver side, except it was in much better shape

Went ahead and replaced the entire lip on the cowl cover, once I started straightening the lip out I realized how bad the metal was. I almost didn't take a picture of this because the metal work looks like complete garbage

Then tonight I finally put some primer on the areas I've worked on. I'll be honest, I used rustoleum primer...and put it on with a foam brush. Not something I would normally do, but I didn't have anything else in the shop and really didn't want to shoot it and get overspray everywhere. I'll be putting either undercoating or bedliner over it anyhow, since you'll never see it. Once the cover is bolted on it will be nearly impossible to see down there.

I mainly wanted to get the inside primed so I could seam seal it next time I've over that way. Hopefully that will be sometime before the weekend, because I'm really wanting to weld the cover back on and start fitting the front end.

10. 02-23-2016 09:28 PM #260
      I firmly believe that if you look hard enough for something you will find it. Once I started chipping out the factory seam seal in the drip rail I realized there was some rot..so I spot blasted the area and revealed a good bit of rust. I ended up replacing the entire front lip of the roof skin.

I was afraid to cut the entire lip off at once so I installed it in several sections, I just imagined the entire roof springing out of shape. You can kind of see where I put it in, but a thin coat of filler should take care of it.

Also ended up replacing the metal above the passenger side drip rail

And once I started poking around on the inside I found some problems in there too. So glad I built the rotisserie, I can't imagine replacing the inside lip on my back.

Pretty sure that was the end of the rust, there is literally nowhere else it could be at this point. All of the metal up front will be brand new. With the rust repair done I was able to continue making progress on the cowl, I seam sealed it tonight. About two seconds after starting the tube burst and I had to apply the rest with my finger. Luckily it's going to be covered up.

Lastly I media blasted the hinges. I'd like to paint them apart but don't have the paint yet. I don't see any issue putting the pins/bushings in long enough to dry fit the doors and then pull them back apart to paint, does anyone else?

Maybe by the weekend I'll be able to weld the cowl back together. Didn't I say that last week?

11. I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      02-23-2016 09:43 PM #261
      I admire your rabid enthusiasm for hunting down rust
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

12. 02-24-2016 08:50 AM #262
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      I admire your rabid enthusiasm for hunting down rust
      Thanks.

It's not what I want to spend my time doing..but I'm this far in and I don't want anything coming back up down the road. At least it's done now..and I can spare everyone of boring updates about rust holes.

13. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-24-2016 08:56 AM #263
      Thanks.

It's not what I want to spend my time doing..but I'm this far in and I don't want anything coming back up down the road. At least it's done now..and I can spare everyone of boring updates about rust holes.
      hey, it's not boring!

Well, I'm an old car geek, so there's that.

14. 02-26-2016 08:00 PM #264
      Got the bedliner down on the cowl, ready to put it back together when I get a chance!

I used an aerosol can of bedliner and I think it turned out really well! I've used raptor liner and herculiner products in the past, but I've always used a shutz gun. Didn't want to bother going through opening a can and cleaning equipment for something so small, so I went with the parts store alternative.

Since I couldn't really do anything else on the cab while it was drying I decided to work on the heater box for a change of pace. Has to be done sometime..

This right here is why I take everything apart, the entire thing was filled with a mouse nest

The whole thing had been painted with some nasty black paint that looked pretty bad and also had a few cracks. I disassembled the whole thing, bead blasted the housing and fixed the cracks. It looked really splotchy after I blasted it so I painted it with some plastic paint that I had left over from another project. I actually think the housing turned out pretty well, hopefully it holds up to under hood temps.

For comparison, this is the look I was trying to emulate, its the inside of the housing and hasn't been messed with.

Can't put the heater box back together right now though, I need to order all new seals..

Next week I plan on putting the cowl back together and setting the cab back on the frame. Finally gonna be able to start fitting the body panels. Have a good weekend folks.

Vehicles
      Diabolical Hater
      03-02-2016 06:43 AM #265
      And here I am with 2 seized bolts in my adapters and tried everything to get them out with no luck. This makes me feel stupid.

I need more/better tools. And to learn how to weld.
      Bübëngröpën | yuksquad | BradFabIndustries

Demokratically Elekted "How Do You Work This Microwave" of the Off-Topic Forum.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 99TJ & 03 Tacocat
      03-02-2016 07:17 AM #266
      Quote Originally Posted by .yuk. View Post
      And here I am with 2 seized bolts in my adapters and tried everything to get them out with no luck. This makes me feel stupid.

If it makes you feel any better, it once took me a full week to get one wheel off my car.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hudsone View Post
      No one knows what and where I have to go to them?

17. 03-02-2016 08:10 AM #267

I literally had this same exact issue about 2 months ago, I picked up some irwin bolt grip extractors and had the adapter off in seconds.

Vehicles
      Diabolical Hater
      03-02-2016 10:16 AM #268
      It's a flat head with a 6mm allen head. Horrible size for an adapter. It's the 42DD 4x100-5x114.3 adapters with the overlapping lug. Like so.

Bübëngröpën | yuksquad | BradFabIndustries

Demokratically Elekted "How Do You Work This Microwave" of the Off-Topic Forum.

19. 03-07-2016 07:54 PM #269

If it makes you feel better, the more I've learned the more I realize I don't know. Same with tools, you'll never have enough.

I got the cowl on and started filling it and the roof with fiberglass filler, sorry no pictures of it right this second though. It took me a while to get the cowl situated and welded in place, it was kind of tense because the alignment of both the fenders and the cowl rely on it. I also fixed my replacement dash in the corners where it was rusted/torn up from the PO removing it.

I built patches just like I did for the cowl and roof, with the shrinker.

Since the one side butts up against the cowl and the other side will be hidden by the windshield seal, I pretty much called that good enough and over the weekend shot the backside of the dash along with the hinges with an epoxy primer.

And on an unrelated note I finally got the steelies for my bel air painted, and had the tires mounted over the weekend.

This week I plan on getting the cab back on the frame (how many times have I said that now?) and pressing the hinges together so I can fit the doors in the frames and begin lining the front end up as well as the door skins. If I get that much done I'll feel pretty good. Might be the last major progress I make for a little while though, I'm going to be tackling a laundry list of items on a family friends '66 GT350 probably starting this weekend. I'm pretty excited for that.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 99TJ & 03 Tacocat
      03-08-2016 07:09 AM #270
      This week I plan on getting the cab back on the frame

21. 03-10-2016 12:30 PM #271
      Who's got egg on their face now?

Went ahead and pulled all of the cab bracing out while it was outside, the nice thing is I made is so that it all bolts together so it'll be easy enough to put it back in when I need to

Feels so much more roomy

Cowl is in place with some mud on it

Pressed the hinges back together, ready to hang some doors

And since I posted pics of my steelies on the bel air the other day, I got my poverty caps polished up and snapped them on

22. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-10-2016 12:59 PM #272
      Woot!! Congrats on one of the big assembly phases.

Love that Bel Air, man. Down to the color and dog dish hubcaps.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 99TJ & 03 Tacocat
      03-10-2016 01:13 PM #273
      for proving me wrong and getting some egg on J-Law's face.

24. 03-11-2016 09:01 AM #274
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Woot!! Congrats on one of the big assembly phases.

Love that Bel Air, man. Down to the color and dog dish hubcaps.
      Thanks! Unfortunately it's going to be coming back apart, at least one more time, before final assembly.

And that bel air is really the perfect old car, in my opinion. Really I should have taken a lesson from it with my truck, it's rough around the edges but still tons of fun to cruise around in. For the money, I couldn't find a better car and I've taken it on countless trips totaling thousands of miles. The color is what really sold me on the car. I'd bought the wheels a few years back but never got around to painting them until last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      for proving me wrong and getting some egg on J-Law's face.
      I do what I can

In other news, I started trying (the key word here) to fit the doors and fenders last night. Needless to say, nothing fits. Thanks to the aftermarket front fenders, I've got a lot of work cut out for me. Couldn't really get a clear picture because the truck is crammed so tightly in it's spot right now.

25. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-11-2016 09:27 AM #275
      Thanks! Unfortunately it's going to be coming back apart, at least one more time, before final assembly.

And that bel air is really the perfect old car, in my opinion. Really I should have taken a lesson from it with my truck, it's rough around the edges but still tons of fun to cruise around in. For the money, I couldn't find a better car and I've taken it on countless trips totaling thousands of miles. The color is what really sold me on the car. I'd bought the wheels a few years back but never got around to painting them until last week.
      Is that original paint? I find that to be about as much of a problem as anything. I want to do things to my car but can't bring myself to since it is so original. If it had been painted at some point I'd have at it!

For advertising information click HERE

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast