Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
      Vehicles
      1960 Euro Bug, 1992 Golf VR6, 82 Caddy Diesel, 87 Cabby, etc
      03-26-2015 02:01 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by IntrstlarOvrdrve View Post
      I don't really have any solid plans. I want something that sounds pretty rowdy but looks pretty stock other than a drop and some wheels. Interior will be black and stock. When I bought it the truck had a late model bench seat in it, which I've already traded for a factory bench seat from a '70 model. Other than that, I really don't have any set in stone plans, just kind of go with the flow and see what happens. I'm actually moving pretty fast on it, hoping to have the body ready for paint within the next month so I need to start thinking about colors.
      Sounds cool!
      On trucks like that if the body is staying pretty stock with just a drop and good wheel fitment for me there is something nice about the 70's factory browns and gold metallics, but a nice clear on them.

2. 03-27-2015 03:16 PM #27
      Ever wanted to see just how many parts come off the frame of a C10? Then here's your lucky chance. I took off of work at lunch so that I could try and get a few coats of Master Series primer down. I love this stuff, it's a lot like POR 15 but slightly cheaper and I personally think it adheres and lays down better. Same stuff I used on my bug. I'd considered powder coat on this one but I like the fact that if I scrape it or have to modify the chassis any I can touch it up with a foam brush and it will blend right in. I learned that on my bug when I had to go back and cut the beam up.

It self levels and leaves this nice flat finish.

I wanted to get a jump on the weekend with it since it's supposed to be decent enough weather for the next two days. The chassis black I'm coating it in requires two coats of the silver primer and two coats of the top coat. Minimum dry time between coats is 3 hours but probably going to take a little longer since its in the mid 50's out. Only caveat is that all coats must be put on within 48 hours of each other or you have to scuff the paint with 220 grit sand paper. Doesn't sound that bad, but when I have the frame and about 60 other small pieces it's not something I want to do.

3. 04-02-2015 10:02 AM #28
      Update with no pics, lame, I know.

I got all the painting done by the end of Sunday evening and was looking forward to starting reassembly of the frame Monday evening, but as it turns out I was shipped the wrong upper ball joints. My fault for not checking the boxes when I got them a month ago, and unfortunately they were outside of the 30 day return and exchange period. Luckily for me Rockauto is pretty cool and is sending me the correct ball joints free of charge. Just have to wait for them to come in now.

Since I am waiting for the ball joints I decided to go ahead and find replacement hardware for the frame. Some of the bolts had broken when pulling them out and a others were severely corroded, and for the sake of matching (thanks to my OCD) I decided to replace all of it with grade 8 hardware. I initially had purchased all of the bolts from my local hardware store but it was Taiwanese hardware that was overpriced, so I ended up ordering a large order from ASMC industrial of all US made fasteners. Can't wait for that to get here, hoping by mid next week the chassis will be rolling again. I have to say it's pretty nice pulling hardware back out of the bags that I put it in. Usually my projects run long in the tooth and I end up having ziplock baggies full of hardware for years.

Also went ahead and ordered some wheels and tires. Don't want to spill the beans on them yet since the wheels are on backorder but I'm hoping to get them before sending the truck off for paint so that I can get an idea of how they are going to fit.

Vehicles
      84 300sd 87 K-5 Blazer
      04-02-2015 10:16 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by BoostedOne View Post
      Same here.. If a project costs me 8 dollars in gas to go to and from the closest store, not that big a deal since I also have plenty of daily's..

Heres the 78's big brother.. So many things the same it trips me out.. Same colors, same running boards, same mirrors..

my K-5 blazer has that same interior right down to the brake controller......parts for those trucks are a penny a dozen......

and to interstellar......was gonna ask for more pics of the ladders from the op, thanks keep it up
      Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      Damn you and your odd statehood.
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      I mean if you're so paranoid that you think the government has nothing better to do than fuxk with random people then not sure what to tell you.

Vehicles
      '17 Tundra CrewMax, '13.5 GLI Autobahn, 1967 Shortbed Chevy C10
      04-02-2015 10:19 AM #30
      I am so IN on this build! to another C10 build thread!!

My '70 that I had came with a 71/72 grille surround and insert, but I liked that cross bar of the 70 model. Yikes that thing was NOT cheap... and that was 12+ years ago (damn I'm getting old). I'm lucky that I found my '67 grille from FixmyRust recently. I snagged it a few weeks ago and they were still showing a January free shipping special. I probably saved over $100 by going with them over LMC. Now pricing out the grille's "blingy" bits is another story!

Is it possible to do me a favor when you have a moment? Since you have the bed off the truck right now, can you take some photos of the cross rails on the underside of the bed? I'm trying to make sure I have mine all in the right spot, and I know I'm missing at least one, which is the tail pan. But I've had to guess as to the placement of the middle rails and I'm just not solid on my decision. Seeing a few upside down shots of a complete bed would help me out A TON!

After mine is complete and scaring the neighborhood children, I plan on doing just this... frame off and start fixing all the crap!

for some solid work and hopefully a little help!

6. 04-02-2015 10:38 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by funnee84bunny View Post

and to interstellar......was gonna ask for more pics of the ladders from the op, thanks keep it up
      Yeah, luckily for me (I guess ) my dads business has tons of ladders, which I was able to take full advantage of when trying to hang all those parts. I had a lot to paint..

Quote Originally Posted by BobL2438 View Post
      I am so IN on this build! to another C10 build thread!!

My '70 that I had came with a 71/72 grille surround and insert, but I liked that cross bar of the 70 model. Yikes that thing was NOT cheap... and that was 12+ years ago (damn I'm getting old). I'm lucky that I found my '67 grille from FixmyRust recently. I snagged it a few weeks ago and they were still showing a January free shipping special. I probably saved over $100 by going with them over LMC. Now pricing out the grille's "blingy" bits is another story!

Is it possible to do me a favor when you have a moment? Since you have the bed off the truck right now, can you take some photos of the cross rails on the underside of the bed? I'm trying to make sure I have mine all in the right spot, and I know I'm missing at least one, which is the tail pan. But I've had to guess as to the placement of the middle rails and I'm just not solid on my decision. Seeing a few upside down shots of a complete bed would help me out A TON!

After mine is complete and scaring the neighborhood children, I plan on doing just this... frame off and start fixing all the crap!

for some solid work and hopefully a little help!
      Yeah, I like the '70 front end set up too, but I also like the '71-72. The replacement front for the '70 is super expensive like you said, so I'm leaning towards leaving the 71-72.

I will take that picture, might be a few weeks before I can clear my garage enough to dig the bed back out.

The nice thing about these trucks is that they're EASY to work on, and for the most part cheap. On your truck it seems like you've probably already bought most of the expensive bits, so when it comes time to do a frame off all it will cost you is time.

Vehicles
      04-02-2015 10:54 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by IntrstlarOvrdrve View Post
      The nice thing about these trucks is that they're EASY to work on, and for the most part cheap. On your truck it seems like you've probably already bought most of the expensive bits, so when it comes time to do a frame off all it will cost you is time.
      That's what I'm hoping... I already have the majority of the replacement panels for the cab, which gets me pointed in the right direction.

No worries about time frame on the pics of the bed. Just when you get a chance.. I'm not in a rush, so I appreciate any help!

8. 04-02-2015 07:22 PM #33
      A little teaser shot of how the frame turned out. Very even and very glossy. I love the way it looks, I had a bunch of other stuff sent to the powder coater to be painted semi gloss black so I'm excited to see how it looks against the glossy frame. It's got a lot of dust on it now from me and dad working the past few days, so you'll have to look past that.

I also threw some paint on a few other pieces real quick. I spray painted the springs with semi gloss Krylon Fusion, and they look pretty good. They are aftermarket springs, I don't know much more about them but they are marked 2" so I guess they're 2in drop springs. They had some sort of coating on them but had lots of spots where the coating was damaged. I scuffed them up with emory cloth and sprayed them. All of the local offroad guys swear by using that Fusion on their springs, and they flex a lot more than my truck ever will so I figured I'd give it a shot. I also liked the idea of something sprayable from a can so that when I scratch them up installing them I can easily touch them up.

And while I was spray painting inside I sprayed the brake rotors and drums. I had blasted them a few nights ago but didn't want to paint inside since it was dark out.

Small progress, but it's usually stuff I overlook until I'm trying to put something back together. I'll be waiting until next week for the hardware and upper ball joints to get in, so I figured I'd tackle some smaller projects. The garage smelled like hell though from the paint fumes (it's raining out) so that's about all that's getting done tonight.

9. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-02-2015 08:08 PM #34
      Wow. I am so 'in' on this thread.

You now have two Chevys I like and of course the Beetle. What's next, a longhood 911 just to make me totally jealous?

It's good to see that BobL chimed in here, as you guys can keep each other hopping on your projects.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

10. 04-04-2015 11:51 AM #35
      The upper ball joints were supposed to have been delivered yesterday and the hardware was supposed to be delivered today. As expected, USPS dropped the bomb seeing that the ball joints are who knows where and the hardware is still in IL. So, I at least pressed my lower ball joints.

And yes, I realize that I ripped the boot installing it. Kind of on a stand still until I at least get my hardware though. Not like I'm on a timeline, but once I get the idea that I'm going to do something I'm anxious until it's done.

11. 04-07-2015 09:13 AM #36
      So I came home yesterday and this was waiting on me, along with the ball joints, but for some reason those weren't as exciting as the hardware

Oh yeah, that's the stuff. USA baby.

So with any luck I will be close to having a rolling chassis by the end of the night. I think I can get most of it bolted back together between 6-11pm.

Oh yeah, and in case you're wondering I changed my username. I felt like I was requesting a sex change after 12 years of IntrstlarOvrdrve.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Toyota 4Runner, 96 Lexus LX450
      04-07-2015 09:37 AM #37
      It looked pretty cool to begin with, in for updates.

Vehicles
      04-07-2015 09:51 AM #38

14. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-07-2015 10:27 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Harrison. View Post
      So I came home yesterday and this was waiting on me, along with the ball joints, but for some reason those weren't as exciting as the hardware.
      That one is easy to figure out, as the ball joints only let you envision the front end complete, but the hardware? You can look in that box and see all of the sub assemblies coming together.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

15. 04-07-2015 06:34 PM #40

Oh yeah, and in case you're wondering I changed my username. I felt like I was requesting a sex change after 12 years of IntrstlarOvrdrve.
      Yeah I should do the same, but Im not sure I care enough to.

Vehicles
      Burnt Camaro, ATS
      04-07-2015 08:09 PM #41
      Fantastic!

Vehicles
      '04 Saab 9-3, '83 VW Rabbit
      04-07-2015 08:10 PM #42
      Emphatically in!
      Sent from a place using a thing

Vehicles
      First world problems
      04-07-2015 08:49 PM #43
      Nice new hardware
      -Noah
      Corrado - Burns money faster than hookers and blow | 996 Turbo - Hates noise ordnance's, fuel and tires in that order | TT - Colorless Wonder with a C16 habit | TT - Colorless Wonder II Lives Again!
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

Vehicles
      04-07-2015 10:05 PM #44
      Well. Its like 7pm your time. Pics of the chassis?

Vehicles
      2002 M5, 2002 325Xi Touring, 1992 Toyota 4WD Pickup, 1995 gsx600
      04-08-2015 12:43 AM #45

Saw a c10 today. Drooled, as expected. Fantastic work so far, keep it up!

21. 04-08-2015 08:00 AM #46
      Well. Its like 7pm your time. Pics of the chassis?
      Unfortunately I didn't get as much as expected done.

I hit a few snags along the way, the rear end was a lot harder than I expected to get hung and I'd still forgotten to clean up the spring retainers for the rear springs. I did get the front and center crossmembers hung, as well as the trailing arms and the rear axle housing. Tomorrow night I'll do my best to wrap up the rear end and the front suspension together. I think I'm going to end up buying an aftermarket transmission crossmember; I decided I'm going to run the exhaust through the chassis instead of under it like the previous owner had done and the crossmember I have doesn't look like it will work for that.

Vehicles
      04-08-2015 08:11 AM #47
      I understand how all that goes. Still good progress for a day. I was just poking you a bit for pics

Good call on running the exhaust in the frame cavity. Looks much better than it hanging down under.

Can you not just fab your own cross member? Most of the aftermarket ones I am familiar with are just a piece of dom tubing and some mounting tabs

23. 04-08-2015 09:09 AM #48
      I understand how all that goes. Still good progress for a day. I was just poking you a bit for pics

Good call on running the exhaust in the frame cavity. Looks much better than it hanging down under.

Can you not just fab your own cross member? Most of the aftermarket ones I am familiar with are just a piece of dom tubing and some mounting tabs
      I probably could (and probably should) but they're $65 on eBay which is almost money well spent. I may still build one myself, still undecided.

Also that cabby you built for your dad is awesome, I read through it this morning. I've been looking at 63-64 nova wagons to do the same for my dad.

24. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      04-08-2015 09:55 AM #49
      awesome.

Vehicles
      04-08-2015 10:46 AM #50
      I probably could (and probably should) but they're $65 on eBay which is almost money well spent. I may still build one myself, still undecided.

Also that cabby you built for your dad is awesome, I read through it this morning. I've been looking at 63-64 nova wagons to do the same for my dad.
      Yeah, at 65$ thats not bad. And granted it depends on how much of a pain it is to get the material local. Thankfully there is a major steel supplier here(Alro) that will deliver full lengths to the house for a 12$ fuel charge. But the cool thing is they also have an "Outlet" for the average walk in guy with drops. All the metal is clean and rust free, and they will sell it by the foot. I could probably buy the materials there to make the cross member for $5-6.. But if it wasn't for that one particular place, it would cost 3-4 times as much.

If I need full sheets or 20' lengths I dont even bother going to the main warehouse anymore since its so cheap to have them deliver on the semi. If need small quantity stuff at the outlet thankfully its a slight detour on my drive from work.

Thanks for the kind words on the Cabby. They actually keep the car in the garage with the top down, ready for use at a moments notice LOL.. Thankfully my dad doesn't have the same automotive tastes as yours, LOL.. If my dad wanted to relive his youth with a 69 Charger or a 4 speed LeMans convertible like he used to have, that would have to be on his nickle LOL. I couldnt fund a Charger build for myself anymore. But yeah, I remember as a kid I LOVED the Charger even though it was a non running rusty relic on the property. One day like 25 years ago I remember him saying something to the effect of not knowing why I liked the Charger so much, and that a Ghia actually has nice lines. So I started looking for a Ghia to build, and then he said something in passing about Mk1 Cabriolets.. It was so off subject, I wasnt sure if he even liked them but it was a hint. So I found the cabriolet and started building it. I was so relieved when he came to visit and I told him it was a build for someone and started actually talking about how he wouldnt mind getting one, LOL...

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast