Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 99TJ & 03 Tacocat
      04-12-2017 02:35 PM #476
      Personally, I find high gloss in the engine bay somewhat tacky. It's a nit-picky thing to be sure, but I definitely prefer a matte finish. Just my $0.02.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hudsone View Post
      No one knows what and where I have to go to them?

2. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-12-2017 02:50 PM #477
      Quote Originally Posted by Harrison. View Post
      Which is pretty much the opposite of how I feel now when I look at it.
      Heh.

While I'm on the topic of paint..what's everyone's opinions of putting flattener in the clear under the hood and on the inner fenders? It would still be the color of the rest of the truck, just have a slightly more eggshell finish. I'd planned on going with full gloss everywhere but my buddy planted that bug in my ear earlier and it's got me thinking..
      Hmmmm... I don't hate that idea one bit! I'm not sure if I'd go that route or not, but it's definitely worth consideration. If you can keep control of the shine so that it's not totally flat then I'd probably go for it. I have absolutely zero experience with that, so I'd probably forego it, but with someone to guide you I think it could look pretty cool.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

3. 04-20-2017 02:16 PM #478
      After a last minute repair to the door bottom after the wind blew it over, I got everything loaded up in a borrowed work van ready for to haul it to the paint shop.

Couldn't have done it without my helper

Then on the way to the shop the van I'd borrowed expired and I had to get it towed. Anyhow I ended up loading everything up in my dads f350 and hauled it down to the paint shop last night. Never thought I'd see this happen.

You'll all have to wait for color pics, I left everything in the booth last night and they moved it out/wrapped it up for me this morning. I went over lunch and picked it all up, but don't want to unwrap it yet.

Vehicles
      17 Golf R, 15 VW Tiguan, 93 LX Foxbody, 70 C10 5.3L LS
      04-20-2017 02:27 PM #479
      You'll all have to wait for color pics, I left everything in the booth last night and they moved it out/wrapped it up for me this morning. I went over lunch and picked it all up, but don't want to unwrap it yet.

the progress is great, cant wait to see this thing back together...

5. 04-20-2017 02:29 PM #480
      Such a tease. Worse than all the faux 'reveals' they make you wait until the end of the show for. Keep up the excellent work!

6. 04-20-2017 03:24 PM #481
      Drift Car Build! - now with drift car content!

Benny and the jets - Just your average air cooled 911 adventure

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      04-20-2017 03:31 PM #482
      Nice cliffhanger. Damn you.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Vehicles
      It varies.
      04-20-2017 03:44 PM #483
      I'm using PPG's Shop-Line base and clear on the inside of all the panels. The outside will have Shop-Line base but PPG 8152 "Glamour Clear." I think retail on that is somewhere around $400 a gallon setup, but my friend who sent me the pic did me a HUGE solid and tacked it onto his last order through his shop so I got their pricing on everything.
      For those of us who don't paint (but would maybe like to try some day), how much base and clear does it take to paint a vehicle this size?

This definitely adds some perspective as to why *good* paintwork costs as much as it does.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

9. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-20-2017 03:57 PM #484
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Agreed!

Vehicles
      B6 Lux Wagon, 2010 F-Juan Fitty
      04-20-2017 04:56 PM #485
      I hate teasers...
      Last edited by 10001110101; 04-20-2017 at 04:59 PM.

11. 04-20-2017 06:10 PM #486
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      Such a tease. Worse than all the faux 'reveals' they make you wait until the end of the show for. Keep up the excellent work!
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by 10001110101 View Post
      I hate teasers...

Sorry folks I'll break them open soon, I really just don't want to unwrap everything since I needed to transport them and they'll be in storage for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by benjaminobscene View Post
      Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      For those of us who don't paint (but would maybe like to try some day), how much base and clear does it take to paint a vehicle this size?

This definitely adds some perspective as to why *good* paintwork costs as much as it does.
      I purchased two gallons of base and two gallons of clear and hope that's all it'll need. That should cover the inside/outside of everything except for the bed. I'll be shooting bedliner in the bed but I imagine that would take another quart of each at least. I could probably get away with less clear but I'm putting three coats of it everywhere so I'll have some material left to buff.

But yeah, all of that adds up quick! Not to mention all of the primer.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 99TJ & 03 Tacocat
      04-21-2017 06:48 AM #487
      Hijo puta.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hudsone View Post
      No one knows what and where I have to go to them?

Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b
      04-21-2017 08:52 AM #488
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

14. 04-26-2017 08:27 PM #489
      While I'm trying to figure out whether I'm going to shoot the inside of the cab with color in my garage or somehow get it down to my buddies shop I gave the core support some attention. It's the last piece that still needs to be put in primer. You may recall a while back I had to section the headlight bucket, but that's as far as I got on the thing.

I started by welding the housing for the headlight itself back onto the core support, then moved onto plugging a few holes

Before I tore the front of the truck apart again I welded washers in place so that I could line the front back up easily. I went ahead and put metal in place and cut the washers back off for a cleaner look (not that you'll ever see....)

And then the part I've been putting off for a good while..I am running the wiring harness inside of the core support and a while back I welded studs into it so that I can secure it. Sounded great, but quickly realized that the brackets on both sides of the core support were going to keep me from running the wiring harness in there unless I did something about it. I ended up putting a notch in both sides, kind of hard to explain so here are the pics.

Upper left is a stock bracket for reference

This is what it did for me

Now back to the real problem..am I going to attempt to shoot color inside of my garage or attempt to somehow trailer the cab across town?

15. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-26-2017 08:42 PM #490
      Hmmmm. I think you should probably shoot it at home. You'll do a good job with it and it'll look great, without the major hassle.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920