KilometerMagazine.com - Who else is autocrossing their mk7 GTI? Video & build discussion please.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
      Vehicles
      mk7 gti in GS
      09-13-2015 06:54 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by VRUM VR6 View Post
      Here are both of my in-car videos from this week's 2015 Tire Rack
      SCCA Solo National Championship. They were far from perfect runs,
      but I raced through both courses fast enough to have clinched
      second place - had I not fixated on the final cone of my event and
      ran it over - which dropped me to fifth place trophy

Day one, West course:
      https://youtu.be/OdlskVvkvGw

Day two, East course:
      https://youtu.be/ly3GiBZMvzo
      Did you have konis and 245's up front?

Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      09-13-2015 07:00 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by AnimalMother View Post
      Did you have konis and 245's up front?
      IIRC, and John should correct me. Koni Sports and 245 up front, 225 in the rear. I know he has a rear bar but not sure which.

Vehicles
      mk7 gti in GS
      09-13-2015 07:28 PM #53
      Hey Maniac, its Swede. I may stay over here, golf7 seems like mostly tuning disscusion.

Looks like nat's went well considering it's a relatively untested car. Top 50% at Lincoln is fast in my book.

I took mine out yesterday, (non-sanctioned car club) and was suprised how the rear acted. (26mm HR). I don't have any confidence yet. Coming from AWD and RWD, I feel like i need to re-learn autocross.

UPDATE: AX6 pads are available for mk7 gti... via carbotech email query

Vehicles
      09-13-2015 07:58 PM #54
      My much slower videos....

West Clean(bad audio for some reason):
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gdxpelAy3c

West Dirty(would be .9 faster raw time):
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SycDcXhipJk

East:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jNByd5iSM4

Never got ahead of the East course. DNF first run didn't help matter, and then it just kinda compounds from there. I felt more mentally prepared for West course beforehand with a more defined strategy to run that course, the east was kinda seat of the pants and didn't work at all, lol.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      09-14-2015 01:37 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by AnimalMother View Post
      Looks like nat's went well considering it's a relatively untested car. Top 50% at Lincoln is fast in my book.
      In my case, yes this was a *completely untested* car... I threw new shocks on it just days before driving to Lincoln for Nationals and also a staggered tire set up just hours before I drove out there... my first championship run was also my first "test" run - if you could call it that! LOL

How did you hear about these details?

And trust me on this... it wasn't throwing new parts on my 2+ month old car that made me fast and put down second place times at the National Championship (minus that one cone at the finish line on my final run that is).

Vehicles
      mk7 gti in GS
      09-14-2015 07:04 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by VRUM VR6 View Post

How did you hear about these details?

Bat phone directly to the timing booth.

i was asking maniac on the other forum about the fast person with the gti after day one.
      Last edited by AnimalMother; 09-14-2015 at 07:18 AM.

Vehicles
      09-14-2015 10:29 AM #57
      Oh I know how fast you are John, so I have no illusion on if the parts will make me faster. I still need to finishing prepping the car too. And we all going to need a lot of help to beat Scroggs....lol

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      09-14-2015 02:15 PM #58
      Yes, Scroggs is the man to beat without a doubt.

BTW, the staggered tire set up that I went with isn't necessarily ideal by any means... however I already had 225s and the two fronts were completely shot after 40 autocross runs and some 3,000+ miles. I really couldn't afford more tires, especially another set of four - therefore I went with only two tires - to be cheap, and I landed just one cone short of clinching second place at Nationals with a poor man's setup! LOL

I keep hearing things here and there through the grape vine. For instance, supposedly on some kind of ST forum people were talking a lot of trash about me and my VW. I've honestly had zero time to research or verify this, but I probably don't really want to know, right?

Guess what boys? ...fast guys show up at the National Championships - so deal with it.
      Last edited by VRUM VR6; 09-14-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Vehicles
      09-14-2015 02:54 PM #59
      At least people are talking...lol

I bought the car because I know it should be competitive, I am glad you are proving me right.

Yeah I am not sure on the stagger setup neither. The car is probably the most neutral FWD car I've driven outside of the spin-happy STS CRX, and it behaves in a more progressive manner than the STs. My rear tire gets more use than my MK6 did. I think 245s all around is just easier to deal with for tire life and rotation.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      09-15-2015 11:20 AM #60
      Here's just a quick 10 second video snippet...

I just clipped the final cone on the course – on my final run – that caused me to lose out on the 2nd place trophy at Nationals.

https://youtu.be/6oKO7wE8d9w

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '15 MkVII NBM GTI SE W/Manual & Lighting Package
      09-15-2015 06:57 PM #61
      Not exactly an AutoX, but a small track (big go-cart track) located in Northern NY. Had a bit of bum weather on Saturday, but Sunday warmed up and dried out, too bad Steve didnt get any pictures then (I think he was trying to get as many runs in as possible while it was nice too :-)

I've done a number of AutoX events this summer in the GTI, but the GTI really enjoyed the higher speeds seen here. I had an absolute blast. Even got some tri-pod action in the rain. A number of people were impressed with how well it turns in and how responsive it is.

Credit to Steve from the SCCV for all of the pictures.
      '15 MkVII GTI NBM SE W/6MT and Lighting Package Picked up: Sept 6th '14
      ~ VCDS Tweaks, rear Window-wing delete

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '15 MkVII NBM GTI SE W/Manual & Lighting Package
      09-15-2015 07:09 PM #62
      As a separate note, has anyone else seen high oil temps with their GTIs? I had a high temp (that was was able to see) of 257 degrees F over the weekend on a rainy, cool day. And temps in the upper 240s and low 250s were seen during/after every run. I would also see similar temps during AutoX runs this summer, albeit not quite as bad thanks to the shorter, less frequent runs that occur during AutoX.
      '15 MkVII GTI NBM SE W/6MT and Lighting Package Picked up: Sept 6th '14
      ~ VCDS Tweaks, rear Window-wing delete

Vehicles
      09-15-2015 08:20 PM #63
      Highest I've see is about 240F...

Vehicles
      09-21-2015 10:55 AM #64
      Local Detroit Region SCCA event this weekend. I decided that I'd put some fast guys in my car to see what it can actually do. So I enlisted Ryan Finch, last 2 years's National Trophy winner(5th in 2014, 6th in 2015, also won a bunch of Tour/Prosolo this season) in ESP class. Now he was looking for something to drive because his Camaro is out for the rest of the year, and he has taken my old car out on Fun runs before and I knew he can get up to speed really fast. And I also got Jon Rogers, who is a multiple time National Trophy winner in GS class, and also my first instructor at the regional solo school. I ran the car in GS class, and Jon and Ryan drove it in Pro Index class.

In my GS class runs, ended up coning a top 10 pax run that would be good for 3rd in class on my last run. But I didn't have any answer for Focus ST(In case you are curious John, Josh McD. is local to my region, as well as sometime Keith K., but we were all chasing another local ST). Jon and Ryan drove in the heat later with the Pro class and Jon managed to be .1 faster than my dirty time in the end, which was good for 6th in Pro and 8th in overall index. But Ryan laid down a smoker of a run that was basically a second faster than I'd managed and .5 faster than the ST managed earlier. Winning the top pax of the day...

So the car is pretty damn fast....I need to be a heck of a lot faster...

15. 09-21-2015 12:06 PM #65
      VRUM VR6, great job at nationals without much time on the car! Glad I came across this forum, I was going to look you up through your local SCCA site.

I have been out of the Auto-X scene for a while due to kids, life events, etc. I used to run a STS (now STC) Civic and then got into co-driving a handful of different cars at national events (seemed to do well at tours, but never had two good days in Topeka). Anyway, earlier this year I bought a MK 7 GTI S PP 4DR with the intention of it being an around great everyday fun car and because I think it will be very competitive against the ST at national events once setup right. I think you have done a good job proving that to us.

Unfortunately, due to a move from TX back to NY and then an issue with the GTI where my engine is currently being replaced, I haven't gotten the thing out to an auto-x. Oh well, I will start my setup in the off season.

Looking to start with Koni Yellows, Wheels and Tires, Rear bar and alignment.

What wheels do you have in those pics, Enkei Fujin?

Vehicles
      09-21-2015 12:21 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by kmack22 View Post

Yep....

17. Member
      Vehicles
      09-21-2015 02:51 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      ...Winning the top pax of the day...

So the car is pretty damn fast....I need to be a heck of a lot faster...
      Very cool, glad to hear your car kicked some ass!

18. Member
      Vehicles
      09-21-2015 02:55 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by kmack22 View Post
      VRUM VR6, great job at nationals without much time on the car! Glad I came across this forum, I was going to look you up through your local SCCA site.

I have been out of the Auto-X scene for a while due to kids, life events, etc. I used to run a STS (now STC) Civic and then got into co-driving a handful of different cars at national events (seemed to do well at tours, but never had two good days in Topeka). Anyway, earlier this year I bought a MK 7 GTI S PP 4DR with the intention of it being an around great everyday fun car and because I think it will be very competitive against the ST at national events once setup right. I think you have done a good job proving that to us.

Unfortunately, due to a move from TX back to NY and then an issue with the GTI where my engine is currently being replaced, I haven't gotten the thing out to an auto-x. Oh well, I will start my setup in the off season.

Looking to start with Koni Yellows, Wheels and Tires, Rear bar and alignment.

Thanks, I'll have to try and not choke on a cone next time.

19. 09-21-2015 11:59 PM #69
      Hey KooKooKaChew,

I see you are from Cato, I grew up in Syracuse and now live out in the Albany area (just moved back from Austin where I got the GTI). I used to go to the Poughkeepsie club events (still do from time to time) and also Mohud region events. I have been to some of the Fingerlakes region events too (I wish they could get Seneca Army Depot back). Anyway, where have you been running? Once I get my GTI back from the dealer, I am going to try to hit up a local event or two before the season ends, want to get a feel for the car before I start making changes.. Let me know if you ever head out this way for an event.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      09-22-2015 01:28 PM #70
      Tri-State Sports Car Council is having a double autocross this weekend Sep. 26 & 27 north west of Chicago - if anyone wants to play or come out and spectate.

http://TSSCC.org

21. 09-28-2015 12:31 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      Hey I am glad I can put more people in VWs instead of all STs....if nothing else hopefully people will do more with these cars and we'll get more stuff for it(like getting Sam Strano to make sway bar for the car....lol, I asked, he doesn't think there is a market for one). I am starting to look at stuff that can be done to the prep. Rear bar will probably first(I'm thinking H&R or Neuspeed), I am still looking for a catback that'll lose weight appreciably from stock and may still be DD-able. And for the MK7 eventually I'll definitely do dampers, but whether just the normal Koni Yellow or something else I have no clue...
      Whilst doing some research, I tripped across this. Odd to see your name.

Anyway, I picked up a 2015 PP yesterday. And being that I'm a gearhead and all, I might well make a rear bar and add it to the others I make. However, I and I'm readily willing to admit this. I don't know what it needs. I had a Focus ST early on and figured that out quickly, I'm a little later to this party. I suspect the GTI doesn't want or need a massive rear bar, but maybe you guys have another opinion. I do have H&R as a line I carry so that option is there but I think (a hunch) 26mm solid is way, way more than we need. But it's the cool thing to do, went through the same thing with the Focus ST.

So question is simple. Being that I've not seen many running, and the ones I have I don't know the setups. What's the situation with the rear wheel lift with the stock bar? I understand that to be 21.3mm or so, is that correct? Looks like the car can carry it on good tires. This is step one to my determining what sizing I'd want. I know the typical thinking, but I don't always subscribe to the "bigger is better" route all the time.

So, help me, learn me some things.

Sam

22. Member
      Vehicles
      09-28-2015 08:57 AM #72
      Hey Sam... pleasure to hear from you!

This is exactly what I was hoping to get going here - a serious SCCA GS class set up discussion. I believe the stock rear anti-sway bar is indeed about a 21mm. There was definitely some wheel lift with it. I picked up the ST brand 26mm which I believe is hollow. (Took the GTI to Nationals few weeks ago and just coned away second place - settled for fifth.) Even with the big rear bar I've been running crazy tire pressures in the rear to get the car to handle like I need it to. And yes some of us are running 245 wide tires on it.

Cheers,

John Azevedo
      Last edited by VRUM VR6; 09-28-2015 at 10:14 AM.

Vehicles
      09-28-2015 09:05 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by sam strano View Post
      Whilst doing some research, I tripped across this. Odd to see your name.

Anyway, I picked up a 2015 PP yesterday. And being that I'm a gearhead and all, I might well make a rear bar and add it to the others I make. However, I and I'm readily willing to admit this. I don't know what it needs. I had a Focus ST early on and figured that out quickly, I'm a little later to this party. I suspect the GTI doesn't want or need a massive rear bar, but maybe you guys have another opinion. I do have H&R as a line I carry so that option is there but I think (a hunch) 26mm solid is way, way more than we need. But it's the cool thing to do, went through the same thing with the Focus ST.

So question is simple. Being that I've not seen many running, and the ones I have I don't know the setups. What's the situation with the rear wheel lift with the stock bar? I understand that to be 21.3mm or so, is that correct? Looks like the car can carry it on good tires. This is step one to my determining what sizing I'd want. I know the typical thinking, but I don't always subscribe to the "bigger is better" route all the time.

So, help me, learn me some things.

Sam
      Hey Sam glad to see you on here and maybe throwing your considerable experience in the autoX tuning behind maybe some work on the MK7. VRUM VR6 here in the thread is John Azevado in the other MK7 at the National that actually placed in the trophies. I'll let him chime in what he is running if he wishes. IIRC he has Koni Sport and some other rear bar on the car that's not H&R.

The 21.3mm sound right for stock, but IIRC if you have a DCC car(which I'd imagine not going to be popular for autoX, because even pricier trim level and lots of other doodats) They come with a 22 or something. I'd love to tell you how are the stock one drove but because I got mine so late in the season and with National being literally the 3rd weekend the car saw cones I threw things on the car pretty much the first week I got them and get down to get used to driving it. I have the 26mm solid H&R, which is I think currently the stiffest it has on offer from anyone. Now do the car need that I don't know. I had a Eibach 23mm solid bar when I was autocrossing the MK6, and it was while definitely an improvement over way stock one drove, it definitely was not a drastic difference in the car's behavior. It will pick up wheel but usually it has to be specific instance. The car also is still very much on the understeery side of balance. That car also never got dampers, so the amount of prep just stopped at the bar and alignment. Because of the MK6 experience I figure I go to the biggest one I can find to see if I take a wide swing at it to see where the limit will be and if it is really terrible I might back off and go something else. But so far I have to say its still not that drastic. I very much doubt the stock one will lift wheel, at least not very readily and certain not to the extent of FoST. I really want to jump in a stock car on the course to compare but I have not had the opportunity(even though I do know 2 locally). With the H&R the car does pick its rear up quite a lot at least from pictures I've seen. The balance of the car is a lot more neutral than my old car and the rear end seems to be much more in the game on course in that you can observe temperature on the tire and pressure variation after run(something doesn't happen a whole lot on the MK6 until I actually get on a track). I have however I think encountered my first instance of hitting Ice Mode with the car this past weekend, and from Clay McCool's observation out of the car(he happened to be in town this time and I invited him to codrive the MK7). The car was picking up the wheel coming from previous element as I was hitting the hard braking zone and I think that freaked the car out(and then I freaked out because no braking...lol). I really haven't dealt with ice mode a whole lot in the old car unless I am on a really broken/undulating lot, and this one really is neither. So that was new. Clay thinks when the car eventually gets proper damper it can probably better control all the movement the car is seeing and might control that wheel lift tendency. The front end right now also does this skip/hop thing mid corner when its fully loaded up, almost like wheel hop but in cornering. But that usually happens when I am already overcooking a turn.

As far as bar goes too I think my research from a while back still stands true. Most aftermarket bars are non-adjustable in the rear. I am guessing its packaging(they crammed it in there if you get a chance to take a look), I am guessing most gave up on making an adjustable one because of it. I think SuperPro in Australia does actually make one, but its a 22mm bar which I feel may not be enough of a change for autoX use.

As a side note I am currently planning actually to go to the Steel Cities event on weekend Oct 18th(some of us internet car people are doing a meet and we decided to go to an autoX). If you want you can certainly try out what the car feel like.

Jen "not a girl" Wong
      Last edited by RacingManiac; 09-28-2015 at 09:09 AM.

Vehicles
      mk7 gti in GS
      09-28-2015 09:12 AM #74
      Hi Mr.S

I have the big H&R rear (2013 rival leftovers in 225). I am not familier with a fwd car yet, been in evos and miatas. I have not confirmed whether or not my outside rear is lifting, but if it is, i'm not feeling upset. I am having way more fun than the miata though... for some reason I was always angry and now I smile with this car. Maybe it's that sweet GS pax multiplyer.

I would, and at least 1 other guy in philly would grab a strano bar if it came available. I feel stuck not being able to adjust it. It was a nightmare installing it. Maybe im jdm-spoiled.

Vehicles
      09-28-2015 09:17 AM #75
      The installation of rear bar on MK6 takes like 15 min, if that. The MK7 took me I think 45 min to an hour....done on a lift too. At least it was not as bad doing it on my friend's R56 Mini before when we had to drop rear subframe...

While I've not autoX the MK7 in stock form I very much doubt it'll be as lively as the FoST was. I drove one earlier in the year on stock Goodyear and AFAIK stock suspension, the way the car wants to rotate was spooky to say the least coming from a MK6 even on decent size bar and alignment and still does not rotate like that.
      Last edited by RacingManiac; 09-28-2015 at 09:27 AM.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast