KilometerMagazine.com - Who else is autocrossing their mk7 GTI? Video & build discussion please.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Results 76 to 100 of 372
    1. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 1999
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      850
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      09-28-2015 11:39 AM #76
      This was my first autocross just days after picking up the car. The only modifications here were rims with RE-71R tires. I guess inside rear tire lift was almost, but not quite happening with lots of steering input?


    2. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      09-28-2015 11:57 AM #77
      I think that was inline to what I saw with another local guy's stock MK7.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 15th, 2014
      Location
      N.Hollywood, CA
      Posts
      146
      Vehicles
      Tornado Red '15 GTI S DSG
      09-28-2015 02:15 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Kookookachew View Post
      As a separate note, has anyone else seen high oil temps with their GTIs? I had a high temp (that was was able to see) of 257 degrees F over the weekend on a rainy, cool day. And temps in the upper 240s and low 250s were seen during/after every run. I would also see similar temps during AutoX runs this summer, albeit not quite as bad thanks to the shorter, less frequent runs that occur during AutoX.
      I got mine up to around 265 running canyons a few weeks ago, but it was in the 90s

    4. 09-28-2015 10:30 PM #79
      Thanks for the warm welcome all.

      I know John asked me a while back about if I had any plans for this, and I kind of didn't. I can't take on all kinds of crazy things, and wanted to see how things panned out with the car. Well, I'll admit that I loved my 2012 GTI but a lot of what got me going here was John's day 1 @ Nationals. Was kind of a good excuse. In the coming weeks I'm going to add a Mk7 GTI page on my website. This is kind of how I do things. Cars that interest me and other autocrossers I like to get involved with. You might not recall but I congratulated you on the drive on Day 2 when y'all were done.

      Agree with the Focus ST. I had one. In fact it took some serious cajoling to get Mark Scroggs onto my bar. I am the only one not doing the norm and slapping a monster bar on there. It seems to work. As much as I like Mark, and I'm proud to have been a help on his car (and a few others), I like most autocrossers... and I run a business so I have an interest in making things work. At this point it would seem the ESC in Sport is not intrusive, and I can tell you that the diff is WAY better than that E-diff crap in the Focus.

      I digress. If you guys can post some pics of your cars really loaded up along with some details (like tires, rear bar sizes, what kind of surface in terms of grip... good, bad, super sticky, etc.) I can learn a LOT from that. At this point, I'm certainly leaning toward at least doing a rear bar for the car

      Sam

    5. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      09-28-2015 11:19 PM #80
      I got most of my photo from Perry uploaded here:
      https://plus.google.com/photos/10410...CKaB5YjrlqLCXQ

      Those are from the National West Course on Thursday, we ran Heat 4 so it was overcast but dry. My car just have H&R 26mm bar and alignment(0 toe front, 1/8" toe out rear), running 245/40/17 on 17x7.5 wheels. Stock dampers.

      Also took this when my Codriver was driving on the East Course on Friday, this is at the showcase turn:

      Last edited by RacingManiac; 09-28-2015 at 11:25 PM.

    6. 09-28-2015 11:33 PM #81
      Keep them coming. I already have my hunches. I can tell you Perry Bennett's photo's are always great for seeing what's happening, and what I see there is a rear tire off the ground and the outside front being pounded on a little. I suspect that it's too big and that something a little more than stock (more like 22mm) is where I'm headed if for no other reason(s) but the OEM's aren't usually way out to lunch, and I know what works on a Focus ST which is very similar. And too much rear bar can actually make some push worse when it tetters up and overloads the outside front tire.

      I've made no decisions and really likely won't until I get to run my car some.

    7. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      09-29-2015 07:40 AM #82
      Like I mentioned if you want to try the car I'll be down in Steel Cities event on weekend of 18th. Only reason why I went with the 26mm is because I feel what I had on the MK6 wasn't enough and I figure I use the most extreme one first to see what that does.

    8. 09-29-2015 11:12 PM #83
      Remains to be seen if I can make that or not. I'll try.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 1999
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      850
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      09-30-2015 06:12 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by sam strano View Post
      Thanks for the warm welcome all.

      I know John asked me a while back about if I had any plans for this, and I kind of didn't. I can't take on all kinds of crazy things, and wanted to see how things panned out with the car. Well, I'll admit that I loved my 2012 GTI but a lot of what got me going here was John's day 1 @ Nationals. Was kind of a good excuse. In the coming weeks I'm going to add a Mk7 GTI page on my website. This is kind of how I do things. Cars that interest me and other autocrossers I like to get involved with. You might not recall but I congratulated you on the drive on Day 2 when y'all were done.

      Agree with the Focus ST. I had one. In fact it took some serious cajoling to get Mark Scroggs onto my bar. I am the only one not doing the norm and slapping a monster bar on there. It seems to work. As much as I like Mark, and I'm proud to have been a help on his car (and a few others), I like most autocrossers... and I run a business so I have an interest in making things work. At this point it would seem the ESC in Sport is not intrusive, and I can tell you that the diff is WAY better than that E-diff crap in the Focus.

      I digress. If you guys can post some pics of your cars really loaded up along with some details (like tires, rear bar sizes, what kind of surface in terms of grip... good, bad, super sticky, etc.) I can learn a LOT from that. At this point, I'm certainly leaning toward at least doing a rear bar for the car

      Sam
      Just to clarify, I believe that it was Jen who originally inquired about the sway bar.

      BTW, thank you for acknowledging that I had a very good day 1 to start off at Nationals... I was doing my best to grab a high trophy - as that was one of my two goals for my trip to Nationals, but I was just a little too greedy about slowing down for the penultimate turn and hence threw it away by grazing that last cone at speed entering the finish line day 2 on my fast/last run.

      I'll find more pics and post the details for you for sure to help the cause.

      Cheers,

      John

    10. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-01-2015 08:57 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by VRUM VR6 View Post
      Just to clarify, I believe that it was Jen who originally inquired about the sway bar.

      BTW, thank you for acknowledging that I had a very good day 1 to start off at Nationals... I was doing my best to grab a high trophy - as that was one of my two goals for my trip to Nationals, but I was just a little too greedy about slowing down for the penultimate turn and hence threw it away by grazing that last cone at speed entering the finish line day 2 on my fast/last run.

      I'll find more pics and post the details for you for sure to help the cause.

      Cheers,

      John
      Did you take a look at Perry's pictures yet?

      https://picasaweb.google.com/1165117...CKSpkabi1-S4Pg

    11. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 2014
      Location
      SW CT
      Posts
      12
      Vehicles
      '80 VW Scirocco/ '86Shelby Omni GLHS #135/'15 GTI 2DR 6MT PP
      10-01-2015 09:47 AM #86
      Just finished a season with my GTI in G street. Neuspeed rear sway bar, MSS on stock rims, Borla cat back. (I've also removed the plastic bits that feed the airbox. amazing result) Should take 2nd in class at the end of the year. Couldn't keep up with a FoST with an excellent driver. So I'm investing in schools and VWR srings, VWR short shifter, VWR wheels 18x8, custom downpipe and new tires. STX class next season.

    12. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2014
      Posts
      37
      Vehicles
      2016 S PP 6MT
      10-03-2015 01:34 PM #87
      Quick question gang, my car finished production on 30-Sep-15, so figure about a month to get here. It's a DSG. There's a 6MT that I could get now. Without intending to start an auto vs. manual holy war
      Does anyone have a reason for or against either of them for autocross?
      I've heard the DSG can be hard to keep in the desired gear at some moments on course.
      I also read that it can be hard to launch the 6MT.

      I've actually never had an automatic, manual DSM, WRX, Evo, S2000, M3, etc., this would be my first DSG. I would welcome it for getting stuck in traffic, but not at the expense of being frustrated at an autocross.

      Thanks,
      Ian

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 1999
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      850
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      10-03-2015 04:02 PM #88
      For me, I never learned how to drive an automatic... so I don't see any excuse to ever buy one personally.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 1999
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      850
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      10-03-2015 04:07 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by ec135p View Post
      Just finished a season with my GTI in G street. Neuspeed rear sway bar, MSS on stock rims, Borla cat back. (I've also removed the plastic bits that feed the airbox. amazing result) Should take 2nd in class at the end of the year. Couldn't keep up with a FoST with an excellent driver. So I'm investing in schools and VWR srings, VWR short shifter, VWR wheels 18x8, custom downpipe and new tires. STX class next season.
      Very cool, congratulations! STX build can be expensive I'm sure.

    15. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-06-2015 08:12 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by lacartus View Post
      Quick question gang, my car finished production on 30-Sep-15, so figure about a month to get here. It's a DSG. There's a 6MT that I could get now. Without intending to start an auto vs. manual holy war
      Does anyone have a reason for or against either of them for autocross?
      I've heard the DSG can be hard to keep in the desired gear at some moments on course.
      I also read that it can be hard to launch the 6MT.

      I've actually never had an automatic, manual DSM, WRX, Evo, S2000, M3, etc., this would be my first DSG. I would welcome it for getting stuck in traffic, but not at the expense of being frustrated at an autocross.

      Thanks,
      Ian
      DSG will take time to get used to, especially if you intend to race it in SCCA Street classing where you can't reflash transmission software. My MK6 was DSG and it does not hold gear. They are also geared quite short (I think 59 or 61 2nd), so it gives the computer plenty of time to automatically upshift on you, especially if you autocrosses in region with fast slaloms. It doesn't just upshift on redline neither(it also won't rev to fuel cut). You kinda learn to walk the course differently to identify potential spots where the transmission will do upshift and put that as spots where you would downshift regardless(it won't go into first normally, so tapping downshift most of the time if it can't go into first will just mean nothing happens, but if you are in 3rd and need 2nd it is useful). Also you will need to kinda learn to not mat the pedal since you may hit the kickdown button and if you are in corner slow enough you may do the 2-1-2 thing.

      Now there are definitely time it might be an advantage to use a DSG, in courses where you have lots of potential to have a fast section to be in 3rd some may not do it where as for a DSG car its just a matter of tapping the paddle, but it doesn't work out sometimes as good as you'd hope.

      6MT has a really tall 2nd(72mph), in fast courses its useful, but in cases like our local courses I feel like its a hindrance sometimes because you may be out of boost.

    16. Semi-n00b AnimalMother's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 9th, 2015
      Location
      Bucks, PA
      Posts
      15
      Vehicles
      mk7 gti in GS
      10-06-2015 08:35 AM #91
      I was, ignorantly, sawing the wheel Sunday and accidently hit the down paddle. It took a lower gear when I didnt want it (I'm assuming first). I remember glancing down to see i was in the middle of the red... I'll have to check what rpm that is. So, there's that. I'm still trying to train myself to lock my thumbs at 9 & 3 but the paddles are right next to my sausages.

      If you want, Ian, I'm willing to co-drive Sunday. You have my number.

      dan

    17. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-06-2015 09:27 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by AnimalMother View Post
      I was, ignorantly, sawing the wheel Sunday and accidently hit the down paddle. It took a lower gear when I didnt want it (I'm assuming first). I remember glancing down to see i was in the middle of the red... I'll have to check what rpm that is. So, there's that. I'm still trying to train myself to lock my thumbs at 9 & 3 but the paddles are right next to my sausages.

      If you want, Ian, I'm willing to co-drive Sunday. You have my number.

      dan
      What I meant for not letting you shift to 1st is that in most cases when you are going to have to potential to find yourself in 3rd(say at the end of a straight, long slalom...etc), your speed/rev is going to be high enough that the car won't let you find 1st. The DSG will protect itself from destroying the engine/transmission, so it'll only get in 1st when it can. If you are in a slow enough corner in 2nd, and you tap the downshift paddle(or found kickdown button at the bottom of the throttle travel), the car will go in 1st.

      I have very seldomly successful in finding 1st in my old car intentionally.

    18. Semi-n00b AnimalMother's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 9th, 2015
      Location
      Bucks, PA
      Posts
      15
      Vehicles
      mk7 gti in GS
      10-06-2015 10:00 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      What I meant for not letting you shift to 1st is that in most cases when you are going to have to potential to find yourself in 3rd(say at the end of a straight, long slalom...etc), your speed/rev is going to be high enough that the car won't let you find 1st. The DSG will protect itself from destroying the engine/transmission, so it'll only get in 1st when it can. If you are in a slow enough corner in 2nd, and you tap the downshift paddle(or found kickdown button at the bottom of the throttle travel), the car will go in 1st.

      I have very seldomly successful in finding 1st in my old car intentionally.
      Roger that.

      this whole fwd + auto tranny thing is alien to me. There has got to be an advantage somewhere to make up for the shifting hiccups. Maybe a shorter time to reach top speed is all i can expect.

    19. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-06-2015 10:45 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by AnimalMother View Post
      Roger that.

      this whole fwd + auto tranny thing is alien to me. There has got to be an advantage somewhere to make up for the shifting hiccups. Maybe a shorter time to reach top speed is all i can expect.
      I think once you are used to it it is not necessarily a disadvantage, but still be ready for the DSG to fight you. The big bump in torque from MK6 to MK7 will also mean I think its not as bad if you found yourself exiting a turn in 3rd rather than 2nd.

    20. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2014
      Posts
      37
      Vehicles
      2016 S PP 6MT
      10-10-2015 04:17 PM #95
      Thanks gang, this was helpful. I changed from a DSG to a 6MT PP. I drove the 6MT and just felt more comfortable/familiar with the manual. I know there's an automated manual in my future, maybe the MKVIII.

      Now I just need to decide on:
      • Wheels
      • Tires
      • Swaybar
      • Dampers

      Roughly in that order.

    21. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-10-2015 08:19 PM #96
      For GS, the best value wheel is probably the Enkei Fujin both me and John are using. Cheap and class legal and light(16.8lb)

      Tires will be RE-71R, but I kinda want to try Rival S.

      Swaybar and dampers I am not sure yet. I have H&R 26mm, John is using a different one. Would be curious to see what Sam arrives at.

      Koni Sport is available for the car, I am guessing it'll probably the default, would be curious what may or may not be available in the future.

    22. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2014
      Posts
      37
      Vehicles
      2016 S PP 6MT
      10-10-2015 09:05 PM #97
      thanks RacingManiac,

      So that's this wheel in 17"

      Enkei Fujin

      and the RE71R in 245/40R17 with a 24.7" diameter to the OEM 25", so a hair of gearing advantage.

      I agree, it will be interesting to see what Sam comes up with as some of the available RSB seem like they might be a bit too stiff (lifting inside rear). It might be the case where a set of dampers is enough to stop camber loss in front and keep the rear planted.

      - Ian

    23. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-12-2015 07:39 AM #98
      Local SCCA region's season ended....ended up 5th in GS which had 16 entries, what was odd was top 10 overall pax, 7 were GS cars...I was 8th out of 141.

      Also played with SoloStorm for the first time....if nothing else the GoPro integration is neat and makes for good video.


    24. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-14-2015 08:44 AM #99
      Question for anyone got the Koni Sport dampers, how accessible are the rear adjuster? Do you have to remove them to adjust, or can you "create" access holes in the interior for them? The rule lets you do it so I am trying to see how feasible it is...

    25. Member Nealric's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 2013
      Posts
      5,064
      Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      10-14-2015 10:11 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      For GS, the best value wheel is probably the Enkei Fujin both me and John are using. Cheap and class legal and light(16.8lb)

      Tires will be RE-71R, but I kinda want to try Rival S.

      Swaybar and dampers I am not sure yet. I have H&R 26mm, John is using a different one. Would be curious to see what Sam arrives at.

      Koni Sport is available for the car, I am guessing it'll probably the default, would be curious what may or may not be available in the future.
      You won't be disappointed with the RE-71R. They just won't stop gripping, and in the odd event that they do give way, they give ample warning and then start gripping again immediately

    For advertising information click HERE

    Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •