KilometerMagazine.com - Who else is autocrossing their mk7 GTI? Video & build discussion please.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-14-2015 10:22 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      You won't be disappointed with the RE-71R. They just won't stop gripping, and in the odd event that they do give way, they give ample warning and then start gripping again immediately
      I know how RE71R are like, but I kinda want to try the other side. I am pretty happy with how the Bridgestone drives, but they are still trickier than how BFG Rival used to drive, in that you really need to be consciously separate your braking/cornering phase and not try to trail brake too much as they don't operate in that area very well, but the overall limit is much higher than the older generation of tires that you have to be on them to be competitive. Rival S at least seems to be competitive performance wise to the Bridgestone, I am just wondering if it'll suit my hamfisted style better...

Vehicles
      10-15-2015 10:48 AM #102
      Lets talk shocks....specifically for GS class use(so no coilovers)

John (VRUM VR6) has Koni Sport on his car. Which realistically the the only option available for adjustable replacement dampers for MK7 at the moment. It offers front and rear rebound adjustment. The front adjusted with the normal Koni top rod external adjustment. But the rear, unlike Koni's offering for Focus ST, uses this style of adjustment:

http://www.koni-na.com/comp.cfm

This essentially means, you have to remove the shock, compress it, adjust then reinstall everytime you want to change damper setting in the rear. Realistically this makes it quite difficult to use and negates the benefit of having an adjustable damper. I was all set in my mind to go with the Koni Sport until I learned of this. Having to deal with the roads here I feel like in a Daily Driver driving around on your autoX setup most of the time might be quite jarring. Not to mention a knob that you are not likely to turn might as well be not a knob at all.

I am somewhat stumped though as to what other options do I have. Alternative typically to Koni Sport is Bilstein HD(B6) dampers, which are fixed valving, non-adjustable. You can get them revalved by any number of people to be "custom valved" to your car, but because of the long turn around time and cost involved if you don't get it right you could be looking at a lot of back and forth. The fact that they are also not adjustable gives me pause the same way. I have heard though that in some cases you can convert HD to adjustable, especially for the shock(as opposed to strut) arrangement. Unfortunately I do not know who would offer such service. Other alternative I am thinking of is perhaps going with the rear shock out of something like a PSS12/14 kit. Since the rear spring/damper are seperate, the spring/adjustable spring perch is not part of the damper unit and the damper it self is damping adjustable. However I am unclear as to if it will fit in the stock spring configuration(extended length, collapse length, etc). And if the valving itself will be any good to use with stock spring, and potentially with a different brand of front shock(since you can't use PSS12/14's front, coilover, strut). My front solution will most likely be Koni Sport but with double adjustable conversion which adds compression adjustment.

Granted most of this may be moot, it might well turn out that I never touch any of the knobs. But if my plan is to go with adjustable dampers, what options do I have? Especially without going all out $$$ option by somehow modifying Penske/JRZ or something to work with stock spring.

Hoping someone like Sam will be able to chime in with some of his past experience on other platform.

Vehicles
      mk7 gti in GS
      10-21-2015 01:42 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by sam strano View Post
      Keep them coming. I already have my hunches. I can tell you Perry Bennett's photo's are always great for seeing what's happening, and what I see there is a rear tire off the ground and the outside front being pounded on a little. I suspect that it's too big and that something a little more than stock (more like 22mm) is where I'm headed if for no other reason(s) but the OEM's aren't usually way out to lunch, and I know what works on a Focus ST which is very similar. And too much rear bar can actually make some push worse when it tetters up and overloads the outside front tire.

I've made no decisions and really likely won't until I get to run my car some.

I see you switched from vette to gti for this weekend. Ill be in the silver 2-door...

4. 11-02-2015 01:34 PM #104
      https://youtu.be/krMgk0UzZ3s

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

5. 11-02-2015 01:35 PM #105
      Esp fighting me every step

https://youtu.be/AJSNnT7wRsw

6. 11-02-2015 01:37 PM #106
      This video is a little choppy Harrys let me down here, but on the big track the pp did alright.

https://youtu.be/xUIDMVjaQS4

7. 11-02-2015 01:39 PM #107
      Esp fix finished! Next autox I'll let you guys know how well it does turned off

https://youtu.be/uipAu-H5RiQ

Vehicles
      11-09-2015 08:29 AM #108
      From Saturday...this is an atypical autoX site, its basically the perimeter/access roads of a drag strip...

The run that ended up counting(77.1xx +1)

Faster raw time(with bonus mis-shift at the beginning, 76.1+2)

Being in the 30-40F I didn't even bother to bring Bridgestones, running on Michelin PSS on my DD wheels. Ended up 2nd in GS and 5th on raw time and pax time. Without cones both run would've been 3rd on raw and pax.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      12-04-2015 11:47 PM #109
      Managed FTD at Chicago region SCCA #6 2015 in the GTI

http://youtu.be/VsaTn8Zf2BI

10. 12-13-2015 08:50 AM #110
      Is there a verdict on DCC for autox? I plan on keeping stock suspension and am wondering if DCC would be worth having.

11. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '12 GTI 2dr mt
      12-16-2015 09:10 AM #111
      Finally some real discussion about the GTI as an autocross platform in the same way that the S2k and FoST have. Unfortunately, I'm still driving MK6 but have had a very successful season in the car (GS) this year. Hopefully I can still participate here as in the end the models are not THAT different and we all have more or less the same limitations.

I run in the Snake River Region SCCA. We don't have a big GS class but it is very competitive with a few FoST and me. One of our GS drivers took 10th this year at Nats and many of us run at Packwood, too.

Fwiw, I run 245/40 Re71r on 17 inch wheels, Koni sports, Eibach rear sway set firm, stock exhaust and Hawk pads. 2dr mt.

Anyway, cheers!
      Last edited by Eightstrings; 12-18-2015 at 12:11 AM.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI S PP Manual
      12-19-2015 08:59 PM #112
      I'm having my new 16 gti S manual with Perf Pack delivered tomorrow. I've been auto-x ing for 15 years ( I should be better) I'm coming from an s2000 after 7 years. I look forward to trying fwd again (time for something different). I look forward to joining this discussion and help in developing this car.

13. 12-19-2015 10:10 PM #113
      is there a consensus on what rear sway bar is the best for GS

14. 01-23-2016 12:12 AM #114
      Next weekend will be my second SSCA autocross event in my GTI. Running RE71R on 18 x 7.5 wheels with virtual stock offset. No modifications otherwise.
      Did some AutoX sessions ten years ago in a Saab turbo but have not competed since.
      In January event car performed great but it was a bit wet though. 1st place in GS was another GTI by .004 over a FoST. Then me, followed by a Fiat and a couple other FoSts.
      I was told the FoST was the car to beat, so I am excited that we had a nice GTI showing.

Enjoying reading this thread and hearing about what is working for other folks.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI Autobahn
      01-24-2016 10:14 AM #115
      Hey there, thanks for shedding a lot of light on this. I was wondering if you think it would be necessary for a new oil pan when auto-xing? Or if I have enough oil in there, it shouldn't be an issue? Someone mentioned to me about throwing a rod and wondered if the back and forth turns could cause an issue.
      Betty - 2015 VW GTI Autobahn DBP - work in progress - 40% Tint all around

16. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '12 GTI 2dr mt
      01-24-2016 10:46 AM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater40 View Post
      Hey there, thanks for shedding a lot of light on this. I was wondering if you think it would be necessary for a new oil pan when auto-xing? Or if I have enough oil in there, it shouldn't be an issue? Someone mentioned to me about throwing a rod and wondered if the back and forth turns could cause an issue.
      Nope. Just keep the proper amount if oil in the car.

17. 01-24-2016 02:45 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      From Saturday...this is an atypical autoX site, its basically the perimeter/access roads of a drag strip...

The run that ended up counting(77.1xx +1)

Faster raw time(with bonus mis-shift at the beginning, 76.1+2)

Being in the 30-40F I didn't even bother to bring Bridgestones, running on Michelin PSS on my DD wheels. Ended up 2nd in GS and 5th on raw time and pax time. Without cones both run would've been 3rd on raw and pax.
      Nice runs -- looks like fun. What is the clunking sound coming from in the 2nd video around when you are making the left turns (happens a few times) through the slalom?

Vehicles
      01-24-2016 04:15 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by akdmx View Post
      Nice runs -- looks like fun. What is the clunking sound coming from in the 2nd video around when you are making the left turns (happens a few times) through the slalom?

I'm going to guess either sway bar link binding(stock one seems to do that at extreme end of travel) or just the wheel coming off the ground and something unloads.

19. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '12 GTI 2dr mt
      01-25-2016 09:15 AM #119
      So, this question is likely directed to Sam Strano or John A. How much lifting of the inside rear is too much? Also, it seems that some of it may be relative to tire pressures in the fronts?

I run a bar that is not that much stiffer than stock (eibach 24mm stiff setting) and while it has definitely improved my times and gotten the car to be more neutral, I have a lot of lifting at the inside rear with hard cornering. Sometimes up to a couple of inches.

I know Sam advocates a softer bar than some, at least for the FoST and I'm wondering if I should try a softer setting or higher tire oressure in the fronts. (Higher tp can act like stiffer springs if not outside of the ballpark for good performance). I typically run 36-38f/37-40r for most events. I've tried flipping that around but I don't rotate as well.

All that said, I had a very successful season on my current setup, but am always looking for that extra .01 of a second!

Vehicles
      01-25-2016 09:44 AM #120
      Technically I think the car can lift inside rear on stock bar, especially after you are running the stickier tire. The bigger the bar the more often it happens, once the tire comes off the rear bar has done all it can do. Its just a matter of how much its doing before that happens. I think running a really big bar(as I am doing now) runs the risk of the maybe grossly shifting the weight around and ultimately upsetting the car too much instead of just shifting the balance. Personally I'd be curious this year to see what changes going to softer bar would do. I am also curious if running adjustable damper might allow the bigger bar be more controlled.

21. 01-25-2016 09:51 AM #121
      For mine once the esp got disabled I feel there is no need for a bigger bar. Factory springs are grossly weak. Stiffer linear rate springs, camber, good rubber, and esp makes the mk7 gti pp I have work extremely well

Vehicles
      01-25-2016 09:53 AM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by suzbndt View Post
      For mine once the esp got disabled I feel there is no need for a bigger bar. Factory springs are grossly weak. Stiffer linear rate springs, camber, good rubber, and esp makes the mk7 gti pp I have work extremely well

Which is fine if you don't care about classing, campaigning the car in SCCA GS means we are stuck with factory spring, and no camber and stock width wheel.

23. 01-25-2016 09:57 AM #123
      Scca rules stink. Our local club gave up on those. They run 7 classes. Fwd awd rwd street tires...same in rcomps and shifter carts. Only thing they use classes for is pax calculations.

24. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '12 GTI 2dr mt
      01-25-2016 10:10 AM #124
      Well, being that this is primarily a GS setup discussion, that is somewhat irrelevant.

Also, your use of pax on indiscriminate classing just doesn't work and means nothing if you use it that way.

No offense intended, of course.

Vehicles
      01-25-2016 10:19 AM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by Eightstrings View Post
      Well, being that this is primarily a GS setup discussion, that is somewhat irrelevant.

Also, your use of pax on indiscriminate classing just doesn't work and means nothing if you use it that way.

No offense intended, of course.
      All that. If you are not following the rule set the PAX is pretty meaningless(arguable if its any more meaningful in the first place, but thats what the rules were written for). If you don't care about prepping for a specific class then by all means do whatever you want. I think Sam's GTI is now actually a STX car since he threw a set of coilovers on the car recently...lol

It's by no means his primary autoX car.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast