KilometerMagazine.com - A Surf Green Story
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
    Results 601 to 622 of 622
    1. Member Andrewrg's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 5th, 2010
      Location
      Littlestown Pennsylvania
      Posts
      6,615
      Vehicles
      MKIII's in my heart, MKVI in real life
      04-15-2017 08:36 PM #601
      Instagram: @_andrewrg_

    2. Junior Member MK5SLVRBLLT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 26th, 2015
      Posts
      95
      Vehicles
      currently: 07 Gti, 99 Cabrio, 10 Jetta. previously: 99 A4, 95 Gti, 98 Gti, 92 Jetta.
      04-19-2017 09:11 AM #602
      Quote Originally Posted by LG7N View Post
      It's back. I've done nothing MK3 related lately to the VR.


      how did you get the beetle head rests to fit? are they rears or did you replace the seat guides in your seats? I have a leather pair and want to run them on my mk3 leather seats.
      previous vortex member name: Gtiproject98
      @gtiproject
      -KB

    3. Member LG7N's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 31st, 2015
      Location
      VERMONT
      Posts
      989
      Vehicles
      Two Green MKIIIs, 89 Jetta GL
      04-19-2017 09:17 AM #603
      Quote Originally Posted by MK5SLVRBLLT View Post
      how did you get the beetle head rests to fit? are they rears or did you replace the seat guides in your seats? I have a leather pair and want to run them on my mk3 leather seats.
      The Cabrio has 3.5 seats and they are a direct fit. You can use those inserts or use mk3 inserts and you have to bore them out with a 9/16 drill bit iirc. If you just search for a diy you can see how to do so. I shorten the headrest posts also but some people don't
      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      guys who are just trying to prove me wrong (which you can't because I am right)
      IG @LG7N
      MK3 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rf-Green-Story MK2 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Budget-Project

    4. Junior Member MK5SLVRBLLT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 26th, 2015
      Posts
      95
      Vehicles
      currently: 07 Gti, 99 Cabrio, 10 Jetta. previously: 99 A4, 95 Gti, 98 Gti, 92 Jetta.
      04-19-2017 10:26 AM #604
      Quote Originally Posted by LG7N View Post
      The Cabrio has 3.5 seats and they are a direct fit. You can use those inserts or use mk3 inserts and you have to bore them out with a 9/16 drill bit iirc. If you just search for a diy you can see how to do so. I shorten the headrest posts also but some people don't
      hmm... thanks for the info didn't know about the 3.5s having the different seats
      previous vortex member name: Gtiproject98
      @gtiproject
      -KB

    5. Member LG7N's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 31st, 2015
      Location
      VERMONT
      Posts
      989
      Vehicles
      Two Green MKIIIs, 89 Jetta GL
      04-20-2017 08:32 PM #605
      Today I started working on my garage to make more room. Going to be sweet.

      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      guys who are just trying to prove me wrong (which you can't because I am right)
      IG @LG7N
      MK3 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rf-Green-Story MK2 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Budget-Project

    6. Member LG7N's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 31st, 2015
      Location
      VERMONT
      Posts
      989
      Vehicles
      Two Green MKIIIs, 89 Jetta GL
      04-22-2017 11:52 PM #606
      More progress

      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      guys who are just trying to prove me wrong (which you can't because I am right)
      IG @LG7N
      MK3 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rf-Green-Story MK2 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Budget-Project

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2011
      Posts
      3,745
      Vehicles
      98-VR6 96-tdi 05-Impreza 04-Tundra
      04-23-2017 12:09 PM #607
      not sure if non drywall exposed framing is better or worse than unpainted drywall....

      good work son.
      are you planning on removing that whole wall?
      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      if you are within driving distance of the border, maybe it would be worth it to come across and vist a Harbor Freight store on the U.S. side of the border.
      Quote Originally Posted by Svën Höek View Post
      oh man, i almost choked.... did he really suggest international travel to Harbor freight???!!!!

    8. Member LG7N's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 31st, 2015
      Location
      VERMONT
      Posts
      989
      Vehicles
      Two Green MKIIIs, 89 Jetta GL
      04-23-2017 02:05 PM #608
      Quote Originally Posted by Svën Höek View Post
      not sure if non drywall exposed framing is better or worse than unpainted drywall....

      good work son.
      are you planning on removing that whole wall?
      In time I'll get it squared away. I might take out some more of the portion on the left. I'm still learning. I plan on putting my new 60 gallon compressor in that corner on the shop side. It's a load bearing wall so not sure how to go about it quite yet. Then I'm going to install two new windows, an AC, and another window on the shop side. Then start insulating it all.

      I hope to get most of this taken care of this year by winter. The next two big purchases are the 60 gallon compressor and a MIG welder most likely if I want to start working on my VR...but I'm having fun working on the MK2 and the garage so I might just hold off on ripping the VR apart. Not like I'm in a rush anyway.
      Last edited by LG7N; 04-23-2017 at 02:25 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      guys who are just trying to prove me wrong (which you can't because I am right)
      IG @LG7N
      MK3 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rf-Green-Story MK2 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Budget-Project

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2011
      Posts
      3,745
      Vehicles
      98-VR6 96-tdi 05-Impreza 04-Tundra
      04-23-2017 04:46 PM #609
      Quote Originally Posted by LG7N View Post
      I might take out some more of the portion on the left. I'm still learning. It's a load bearing wall so not sure how to go about it quite yet.
      a solid beam that goes to both ends could suffice, or a beam and supporting posts.
      I'm sure you're doing your research.

      Quote Originally Posted by LG7N View Post
      I might just hold off on ripping the VR apart. Not like I'm in a rush anyway.
      Drive it this spring/summer.
      I'm hoping to get up your way in my VR this summer and I'd love to see it.
      Rip into next winter.
      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      if you are within driving distance of the border, maybe it would be worth it to come across and vist a Harbor Freight store on the U.S. side of the border.
      Quote Originally Posted by Svën Höek View Post
      oh man, i almost choked.... did he really suggest international travel to Harbor freight???!!!!

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2013
      Location
      E-town, AB, Canada
      Posts
      366
      Vehicles
      1991 8v GTI (current project), '04 Passat wagon dd, 95 Eurovan, '07 Rabbit, 92 Golf, 91 Golf,
      04-25-2017 05:32 PM #610
      Quote Originally Posted by LG7N View Post
      In time I'll get it squared away. I might take out some more of the portion on the left. I'm still learning. I plan on putting my new 60 gallon compressor in that corner on the shop side. It's a load bearing wall so not sure how to go about it quite yet. Then I'm going to install two new windows, an AC, and another window on the shop side. Then start insulating it all.

      I hope to get most of this taken care of this year by winter. The next two big purchases are the 60 gallon compressor and a MIG welder most likely if I want to start working on my VR...but I'm having fun working on the MK2 and the garage so I might just hold off on ripping the VR apart. Not like I'm in a rush anyway.
      Hey dude, just crept through your thread here, impressive stuff, I think the jetta's going to be fun to follow,

      For what it's worth, I insulated and covered up my walls in my own garage this past summer, well worth the effort and even without a proper heating device it was a noticeable difference. Everyone will have opinions on the matter but I did my walls in 3/8" plywood, my reason being it's hardy, mostly smash proof, and relatively inexpensive. It doesn't give the same finished look drywall does but it's significantly stronger.

      Also on the welder front, I picked up an older miller 135 for my mig duties and it's been great. I believe there are a number of good welders out there and have heard lots of people say they love their hobarts which I believe are miller welders with different marketing. For auto body work it's nice to have adjustability to dial in the settings, some of the low end stuff has clicks rather than rolls for dialing things in so you get say 5 clicks rather than many teency steps which can make a difference. Anyways keep at it man, and very impressive work so far!

    11. Member LG7N's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 31st, 2015
      Location
      VERMONT
      Posts
      989
      Vehicles
      Two Green MKIIIs, 89 Jetta GL
      04-27-2017 02:29 PM #611
      Fresh oil change so I can head on down to Dustoff

      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      guys who are just trying to prove me wrong (which you can't because I am right)
      IG @LG7N
      MK3 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rf-Green-Story MK2 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Budget-Project

    12. Member coppertone's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2006
      Location
      08332
      Posts
      2,896
      Vehicles
      Ram Hemi / Vw GTi
      04-27-2017 02:38 PM #612
      Your car is always looking spot on. ?

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 29th, 2006
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      589
      Vehicles
      All Kinds
      04-27-2017 06:00 PM #613
      Quote Originally Posted by banjopete View Post

      For what it's worth, I insulated and covered up my walls in my own garage this past summer, well worth the effort and even without a proper heating device it was a noticeable difference. Everyone will have opinions on the matter but I did my walls in 3/8" plywood, my reason being it's hardy, mostly smash proof, and relatively inexpensive. It doesn't give the same finished look drywall does but it's significantly stronger.
      I covered my walls up with 1/2" OSB. Caulked the seams with some cheap painters caulking and painted everything white in my shop. It might not look as good as drywall but I didn't have to tape and mud and I can hang **** anywhere.

      Car looks awesome btw


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    14. Member RoseBud68's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 13th, 2012
      Location
      PSL,FL
      Posts
      3,343
      Vehicles
      97 GLX, AAA, '99 Jetta TDI 1.9 1Z
      04-27-2017 06:09 PM #614
      Quote Originally Posted by LG7N View Post
      Fresh oil change so I can head on down to Dustoff

      Uuuuggg, That un-finish walls..... Car look great by the way.
      Quote Originally Posted by oscar563 View Post
      VW's are like hot models...high maintenance but I just don't care
      Quote Originally Posted by jearp View Post
      zach is troll master

    15. n00b Noslo455's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 23rd, 2017
      Location
      San Antonio
      Posts
      7
      Vehicles
      11' Jetta TDI, 95' Jetta GLX (project), 09' Jetta GLI (sold)08' Rabbit (totaled), 01' Golf GLX (1st)
      04-27-2017 06:41 PM #615
      Beautiful detailed build! Confusing thread title for us colorblind folk, watching you build that silver GTI

    16. Member LG7N's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 31st, 2015
      Location
      VERMONT
      Posts
      989
      Vehicles
      Two Green MKIIIs, 89 Jetta GL
      04-27-2017 09:11 PM #616
      Quote Originally Posted by coppertone View Post
      Your car is always looking spot on. ?
      Thanks but its really a 20 footer until I strip it and do all the body work I couldn't do when I put the car together. BIG changes to the exterior. Mechanically it's flawless at the moment but some improvements there as well.

      Quote Originally Posted by vr6_Love View Post
      I covered my walls up with 1/2" OSB. Caulked the seams with some cheap painters caulking and painted everything white in my shop. It might not look as good as drywall but I didn't have to tape and mud and I can hang **** anywhere.

      Car looks awesome btw
      Thanks. I have a lot of plans for the garage but it will probably take me a few years to square that away. Main focus is to have it ready to work in by winter this year. Function over looks at the moment.

      Quote Originally Posted by RoseBud68 View Post
      Uuuuggg, That un-finish walls..... Car look great by the way.
      Thanks and it will get there.

      Quote Originally Posted by Noslo455 View Post
      Beautiful detailed build! Confusing thread title for us colorblind folk, watching you build that silver GTI
      Can you not see green??
      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      guys who are just trying to prove me wrong (which you can't because I am right)
      IG @LG7N
      MK3 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rf-Green-Story MK2 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Budget-Project

    17. n00b Noslo455's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 23rd, 2017
      Location
      San Antonio
      Posts
      7
      Vehicles
      11' Jetta TDI, 95' Jetta GLX (project), 09' Jetta GLI (sold)08' Rabbit (totaled), 01' Golf GLX (1st)
      04-28-2017 05:14 PM #617
      "Can you not see green??"

      Pretty much. Was wondering why I haven't seen a silver like that on a VW when I realized my error haha.

      Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

    18. Member LG7N's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 31st, 2015
      Location
      VERMONT
      Posts
      989
      Vehicles
      Two Green MKIIIs, 89 Jetta GL
      04-28-2017 05:46 PM #618
      Quote Originally Posted by Noslo455 View Post
      "Can you not see green??"

      Pretty much. Was wondering why I haven't seen a silver like that on a VW when I realized my error haha.


      All cleaned up for Sunday









      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      guys who are just trying to prove me wrong (which you can't because I am right)
      IG @LG7N
      MK3 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rf-Green-Story MK2 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Budget-Project

    19. n00b Noslo455's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 23rd, 2017
      Location
      San Antonio
      Posts
      7
      Vehicles
      11' Jetta TDI, 95' Jetta GLX (project), 09' Jetta GLI (sold)08' Rabbit (totaled), 01' Golf GLX (1st)
      04-28-2017 06:34 PM #619
      Quote Originally Posted by LG7N View Post


      All cleaned up for Sunday









      Hoping mine will look that clean one of these days, even sans interior. Going drag racing with my VR.

      Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

    20. Member LG7N's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 31st, 2015
      Location
      VERMONT
      Posts
      989
      Vehicles
      Two Green MKIIIs, 89 Jetta GL
      05-06-2017 11:39 AM #620
      For anyone interested I have another build thread going in the MK2 forum that's in my SIG. I'm kinda smitten with the car and plan on working on this for the time being. It's new and I'm having fun. I'll get back to the MK3 at some point...


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      guys who are just trying to prove me wrong (which you can't because I am right)
      IG @LG7N
      MK3 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rf-Green-Story MK2 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Budget-Project

    21. Member Andrewrg's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 5th, 2010
      Location
      Littlestown Pennsylvania
      Posts
      6,615
      Vehicles
      MKIII's in my heart, MKVI in real life
      05-06-2017 02:56 PM #621
      Quote Originally Posted by LG7N View Post
      For anyone interested I have another build thread going in the MK2 forum that's in my SIG. I'm kinda smitten with the car and plan on working on this for the time being. It's new and I'm having fun. I'll get back to the MK3 at some point...


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Been lurking on your MK2 thread. Love both of your cars man. Keep the MK3 updated as well.
      Instagram: @_andrewrg_

    22. Member LG7N's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 31st, 2015
      Location
      VERMONT
      Posts
      989
      Vehicles
      Two Green MKIIIs, 89 Jetta GL
      05-20-2017 02:44 PM #622
      Turd life

      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      guys who are just trying to prove me wrong (which you can't because I am right)
      IG @LG7N
      MK3 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rf-Green-Story MK2 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Budget-Project

    For advertising information click HERE

    Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •