KilometerMagazine.com - 2009 PreMium 2.0T Quattro
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
      Vehicles
      09 A3
      01-23-2017 03:57 PM #76
      Well I obviously still don't have the car, but there was a big sale on some paddle shifter extensions I had my eye on over Christmas. I finally got them today, they're pretty nice. We'll have to see how they are once installed. I can't stand how small the stock ones are. Wish there was an oem upgrade.. but I digress

01-23-2017 08:10 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by PreMier View Post
      hind sight is 20/20!

another update. still drinking a litre every 1200 miles (average driving), and that goes up if on the gas. its the turbo, and it has slight play. ive decided to go ahead and just get the APR k04 setup. i cant get any support for giac where im at (would have to drive 3+ hours) and i cant get the proper diagnostics done on the car unless i have apr or revo. seeing as i'll be here at least another 3 years and for future stateside maintenance its easy to go the apr route.

if i could look back and do this all over i'd buy a £500 car and park the audi until i could traded it in, in the states. my only lasting hope is that since everything will be pretty much new, that i'll get 200k miles out of this thing

edit: nevermind
      hey stay positive! You have a nice whip and will enjoy it years to come! It is a classic so keep motivated!!!
      I hate cupholders

Vehicles
      2010 A3 Quattro S-Line/Monza Silver
      01-23-2017 11:03 PM #78
      I like those flappy paddles! Who makes them and are they held on by those small screws along the sides? It's kind of hard to tell in the pics.
      Sent from somewhere at bottom of the river between Vega and Altair.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?7132668-AG-s-2010-A3-S-Line-Quattro

Vehicles
      09 A3
      01-24-2017 05:01 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Tcardio View Post
      hey stay positive! You have a nice whip and will enjoy it years to come! It is a classic so keep motivated!!!
      Thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGiraffe View Post
      I like those flappy paddles! Who makes them and are they held on by those small screws along the sides? It's kind of hard to tell in the pics.
      Pinalloy.com yes they're supposed to be held on by the screws, they came with a few extra and an Allen wrench. I don't have the car so haven't put them on, but they were on sale. Looking at the site it still looks like they're on sale and they have a few designs and colours

Vehicles
      09 A3
      02-12-2017 11:58 AM #80
      Looks like ecs made some replacements. they take a bit of work to get on, and are very nice.. but 5-6x what i paid for the ones above. once i have the car back ill install them and give a review. i would like the ecs ones, but i dont know if i could ever justify the price

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Audi_...mpaign=newpost

Vehicles
      02-12-2017 04:21 PM #81
      I ordered a set like yours. Except I have the curved paddles so I had to get a different style. Should be here by the end of the month(ordered them over a month ago) ECS ones are nice but if I'm going to spend that kind of money I would get the S2T paddles.

Vehicles
      09 A3
      03-19-2017 12:23 PM #82
      ok story time with a quick update. seriously cant make this crap up haha

mechanic was appreciative of me being so patient so thursday he had the car clayed and detailed, and also got me an APR dongle to monitor everything. well, he was out driving it and doing some data logging and pulled over to look at some numbers on the laptop. then, the car shuts off completely. he tries to restart and nothing.. so he has to call for a tow back to his shop. once back at the shop he starts looking into what the deal is. apparently one of the balancing shafts seized? since the car was sitting at idle, he doesnt believe there was any damage to the heads or valves. he has the motor out already and will tear it down on monday to see what exactly went wrong, and he has a new shaft on the way.

im not even mad.. the cars already defeated me. i have no emotion to put into it anymore so im like what the fck ever. he was super pissed, and had a near mental breakdown because this is starting to cost him quite a bit of money. the guy works on tons of audis and porches and has never had anything like this happen before he tells me. its unbelievable how many times this thing is crapping on us. all i can do is just hope i get it back in working order.
      Last edited by PreMier; 03-19-2017 at 12:45 PM. Reason: cursing

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      03-20-2017 12:20 PM #83
      Man, that definitely sucks. Hopefully you will get the best possible outcome...but a balance shaft seizure does not bode well for the health of your engine

Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp FWD, Dakar Beige
      03-20-2017 04:19 PM #84
      Damn, sorry to hear. Hope that it's not as bad as it looks right now, good luck with everything.
      Bronco

ST Coilovers | Eurodyne Stage 1
      Magnaflow Sport Catback + downpipe

Vehicles
      09 A3
      03-20-2017 05:31 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
      Man, that definitely sucks. Hopefully you will get the best possible outcome...but a balance shaft seizure does not bode well for the health of your engine
      Any idea on what would've caused it? I can't find much on balance shaft seizures. Also could you elaborate on health of the engine? Does this usually ruin the block? Or can the shaft be pulled and replaced?

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      03-20-2017 06:05 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by PreMier View Post
      Any idea on what would've caused it? I can't find much on balance shaft seizures. Also could you elaborate on health of the engine? Does this usually ruin the block? Or can the shaft be pulled and replaced?
      Honestly, I am not familiar enough with the TSI engine to know what else is involved with the balance shafts as far as collateral damage. I know on the FSI, the balance shafts and oil pump are all one assembly, so a balance shaft seizure means no oil pressure which most likely means bad things for your bearings and valvetrain. It could be a totally different deal on the TSI though, so hopefully it will not be catastrophic!

Vehicles
      09 A3
      03-20-2017 07:45 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
      Honestly, I am not familiar enough with the TSI engine to know what else is involved with the balance shafts as far as collateral damage. I know on the FSI, the balance shafts and oil pump are all one assembly, so a balance shaft seizure means no oil pressure which most likely means bad things for your bearings and valvetrain. It could be a totally different deal on the TSI though, so hopefully it will not be catastrophic!
      I'm hoping that there isn't any damage because the car was on the side of the road when it happened (or so I'm told). everytjing that I can find on this though seems like you're right, and they're connected to the oil pump. Guess I'll wait and see =(

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi A3 Quattro
      03-21-2017 03:25 PM #88
      Man that sucks. I feel for you. You have gone through a lot with this car. I hope it gets sorted out and you can enjoy it.
      2012 Blue Audi A3 Quattro

Vehicles
      09 A3
      04-16-2017 10:36 AM #89
      Well, had the car back almost a week.. and it drives beautifully so far. The power with the K04 is amazing. It really brings out the fact that I need bigger brakes now also I don't care for the GIAC TCU software. It seems like it has a hard time finding gears, or the right gear to be in. In the states it wasn't a huge issue because the traffic lights. Over here though, with roundabouts, when I slow as I approach it seems to hesitate horribly when I go to give it gas again. Considering switching to APR as well. The dongle is nice as well, I can change between 4 tunes, view codes, and check realtime data.

I need to order new paddle extensions, the ones that I ordered previously don't fit due to my paddles being curved. Also washed the car over the weekend, she looks good. Here's a few pics.

Vehicles
      04-17-2017 12:35 AM #90
      Good to hear, good news ! She looks great, indeed !!
      Bronco

ST Coilovers | Eurodyne Stage 1
      Magnaflow Sport Catback + downpipe

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      04-17-2017 12:00 PM #91
      Glad you got it back already! So I guess the failure was not catastrophic then?

Vehicles
      09 A3
      04-18-2017 07:42 AM #92
      Fortunately it was just the balance shaft that seized. He showed me both of the old ones that he pulled out and replaced. Also as he was re testing it, the radiator sprung a leak?! Haha he was pissed.. but replaced that as well.

Overall he was over £1000 in parts out of pocket, not to mention the hours into it. I need to get some recalls taken care of (airbag and the abs) on it along with the door lock issue. I'm just tapped out on money 😒

Vehicles
      04-18-2017 11:06 PM #93
      Glad to see you got the car back and that it wasn't as bad as you though it was going to be. Sucks about the paddles. I personally like the look of the Pin Alloy extensions for the curved paddle better than the ones you had to return.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234