Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast
      Vehicles
      2013 Conestoga Wagon
      05-17-2017 08:53 AM #501
      The JL is going to add a ton of comfort but I'm thinking it's going to be a little tougher to pull the doors, top, windows, etc like each model before.

If you still have carpets and non-aggressive tires the JK is as easy to drive as any other SUV, you can drive one all day long and be just fine. There's a reason you see so many soccer moms in them.

I commute 100-150mi each week and last month did a road trip from Baltimore to Key West and I survived. Biggest issues are caused by me terrible highway mpg, crosswinds, noisy mud tires, and hot cabin from a combo of no carpet and hot air blowing from the floor through the open drain plugs.

If I put the plugs back in it's the footwells are a good 20deg cooler without the convection oven effect.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '05 4Runner - '10 Prius
      05-17-2017 09:52 AM #502
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolWhiteWolfsburg View Post
      The JL is going to add a ton of comfort ....
      I think so as well, and it's a smart move. People are cross shopping the Unlimited with other $40k SUV's and the typical JK interior could use some improvement.

05-17-2017 10:11 AM #503
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolWhiteWolfsburg View Post
      The JL is going to add a ton of comfort but I'm thinking it's going to be a little tougher to pull the doors, top, windows, etc like each model before.

If you still have carpets and non-aggressive tires the JK is as easy to drive as any other SUV, you can drive one all day long and be just fine. There's a reason you see so many soccer moms in them.

I commute 100-150mi each week and last month did a road trip from Baltimore to Key West and I survived. Biggest issues are caused by me terrible highway mpg, crosswinds, noisy mud tires, and hot cabin from a combo of no carpet and hot air blowing from the floor through the open drain plugs.

If I put the plugs back in it's the footwells are a good 20deg cooler without the convection oven effect.
      Meh. I still find them somewhat tiring to drive more than 3 hours. They're loud and not all that great on the highway imo.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 Passat W8 6MT Variant
      05-17-2017 11:01 AM #504
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      As much as I love the idea of the Wrangler, and wish I had a justifiable reason to own one, the inside is always such a horrible place to be that I can't. I think that it takes either a serious off-roader or a certifiable masochist to live with one on a regular basis.
      You either think they're so much fun to drive that you're not noticing the interior finish, or not.

Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      05-17-2017 11:15 PM #505
      Nice interior trim isn't the issue. To me they're cramped and awkward and as others said, loud (road and wind noise). I won't gripe about the suspension because a more comfortable ride would defeat the purpose.

Dont get me wrong... I'm not complaining or demanding that they change it. I just realize that I couldn't live with it, which suck because I want to.
      Quote Originally Posted by John Steinbeck
      Sectional football games have the glory and the despair of war, and when a Texas team takes the field against a foreign state, it is an army with banners.

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      05-18-2017 11:18 PM #506
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

7. 05-18-2017 11:22 PM #507
      I'm not sure why but I am loving that pick up!

Vehicles
      2000 Dodge Durango
      05-19-2017 12:06 AM #508
      I'm excited to see the JT come out. People have been quite literally asking for a Jeep Wrangler based truck for over 10 years, so there's a big market for one. I for one can't wait to see the specs on them!
      Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy! View Post
      The one part of the car that actually touches the road is the one people cheap out on the most
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      They are only NEW once, the rest of their existence is that of decay. Like life, it's not about lasting forever but making the best of what little time we do have.
      Impatiently waiting to buy a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JKU)

9. 05-19-2017 01:51 AM #509
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Meh. I still find them somewhat tiring to drive more than 3 hours. They're loud and not all that great on the highway imo.
      I said this in my head when I read this, but I feel the need to say it out loud, you're fking retarded. The one thing it does on pavement well is highway driving...The Pentastar likes to hum along over 65pmh no issue, all you have to do is set CC, hold the wheel and lean back. I run 33's and a 2" lift, its cushy, its when I'm in the city, the reality of ****ty brakes, a craptastic manual transmission, and lack of practicality come into play (I have a JK not a JKU). I have no issues with mine, it hasn't broken in half, it hasn't FCA'ed on me, the only thing I wish it did better was the manual tranny and beefier brakes. I hope they address the brakes on the JL at least.
      Last edited by Vanilla_Coke; 05-19-2017 at 01:53 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      You must be a professional troll in real life.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      I'm more amused by the scientific formulas people bring up to justify why a BRZ lost to a Megane. Like really? All that college education you paid for and a BRZ is that important to you to go into some asinine explanation about how it's still a good track car?

Vehicles
      2008 Ram 2500
      05-19-2017 10:37 AM #510
      Man, that is a lot of departure angle. Also, Im thinking thats not a D44 in the rear. Also also Im currently at my favorite hotel in Summit County and there are JLs and refreshed rams in leather in the back parking lot. Last time I was here they had a bunch of SRT Durangos. Hopefully they take off when Im around so I can snap some pics. It snowed about two feet yesterday so I think theyre waiting for it to melt before they go back out and test.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Old German Japanese & American
      05-19-2017 10:40 AM #511
      Get out there and pull that cover off! Your Internet fame is awaiting.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Evo VIII, BMW e12
      05-19-2017 10:44 AM #512
      [QUOTE=Ryukein;105472217]

Man that wheelbase is loonnnggg

Vehicles
      '12 FJ Cruiser 6MT, '15 Triumph ST3
      05-19-2017 10:44 AM #513
      Seriously. Why wouldn't you do that immediately?

Vehicles
      '14 JKU Sahara, '93 Porsche 911 RSA, '92 LS2 Miata
      05-19-2017 11:42 AM #514
      As a two time wrangler owner, I cant believe I'm saying this, but the rear overhang kills it for me. I would never be able to take that thing rockcrawling unless it had 37s. A JGC would be better off.

Maybe if the tow rating was really awesome and I decided to give up on Jeeping trips . . .

Anyways, I have never been this excited about a new car reveal, or (gasp!) an automatic transmission.
      Quote Originally Posted by jackboots View Post
      Wow. Its like a bicep with six-pack abs made entirely of fists.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU
      05-19-2017 11:45 AM #515
      Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla_Coke View Post
      I said this in my head when I read this, but I feel the need to say it out loud, you're fking retarded. The one thing it does on pavement well is highway driving...The Pentastar likes to hum along over 65pmh no issue, all you have to do is set CC, hold the wheel and lean back. I run 33's and a 2" lift, its cushy, its when I'm in the city, the reality of ****ty brakes, a craptastic manual transmission, and lack of practicality come into play (I have a JK not a JKU). I have no issues with mine, it hasn't broken in half, it hasn't FCA'ed on me, the only thing I wish it did better was the manual tranny and beefier brakes. I hope they address the brakes on the JL at least.

I'm going to guess we have different standards here because my opinion of the JK/U on the highway is vastly different from yours.
      The OG Russells is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      Fancy Accord, Covered Wagon, Family Truckster
      05-19-2017 12:02 PM #516
      Quote Originally Posted by uberR32 View Post
      As a two time wrangler owner, I cant believe I'm saying this, but the rear overhang kills it for me. I would never be able to take that thing rockcrawling unless it had 37s. A JGC would be better off.
      Clearly two different markets. This will be for people that just want a "jeep" truck. I fail to see how it would be a better off roader than any of the currently available midsize trucks in their OR packages, but we'll see! It'll still sell a ton and be good for jeep and FCA. I don't hate them for doing it, but I wish it had hewed closer to Jeep than Truck.

05-19-2017 12:21 PM #517
      Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla_Coke View Post
      LOL. That's the best you could muster up to express your thoughts? ****ing retarded? Based on this interaction I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're not in any position to be commenting on anyone's mental acuity. We clearly have different standards for what constitutes a great highway experience so let's leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I'm going to guess we have different standards here because my opinion of the JK/U on the highway is vastly different from yours.
      You must be ****ing retarded too.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      2017 JK Rubicon Recon and a '95 Yota 4x4 (hardly any rust!)
      05-19-2017 12:43 PM #518
      I took my '14 JK on several long road trips (10-12 hours), and it wasn't horrible. I had the premium soft top and full doors on, so it was a decent drive. Turn the (admittedly ****ty) stereo up, and it was fine. It's a Jeep--I knew what to expect.

DDing that mother****er for 3 years got on my ****ing nerves though. Hit a bump on the interstate, and it feels like your axles are going to fall off. I eventually got rid of it for a better commuter...but now I'm kinda over the FiST ..

Also I'm looking at getting a TJ for a secondary ride. That's where a Jeep excels IMO. You don't drive it every day--just on the good days.

But back on topic...I like the new look, but I don't love it. I think I'll wait a while to get a new iteration, if at all. The JK got on my nerves. I'm thinking the TJ is the last great Jeep.
      Last edited by BSuk; 05-19-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '05 4Runner - '10 Prius
      05-19-2017 01:21 PM #519
      [QUOTE=Quinn1.8t;105478825]
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post

Man that wheelbase is loonnnggg
      Long wheelbase, huge rear overhang, that's not aimed at offroaders at all.

Vehicles
      2000 Dodge Durango
      05-19-2017 04:08 PM #520
      You guys that complain about JK/JKU's being crappy on road make me laugh. Seriously, have you guys not ridden in a older leaf spring truck? Heck, my 2000 Dodge Durango rides rougher and harder than any JK I've been in. You guys should try riding in a YJ Jeep if you think the JK is bad. You guys must be used to riding around in luxury cars, or plush SUV's to think a JK rides rough. For being solid front and rear axles, they're pretty decent actually.

This is assuming that the Jeep is on stock suspension. Some after market lifts kits make the Jeeps ride like crap.
      Last edited by Wolfslash16; 05-19-2017 at 04:12 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy! View Post
      The one part of the car that actually touches the road is the one people cheap out on the most
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      They are only NEW once, the rest of their existence is that of decay. Like life, it's not about lasting forever but making the best of what little time we do have.
      Impatiently waiting to buy a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JKU)

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      05-19-2017 04:20 PM #521
      Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
      You guys that complain about JK/JKU's being crappy on road make me laugh. Seriously, have you guys not ridden in a older leaf spring truck? Heck, my 2000 Dodge Durango rides rougher and harder than any JK I've been in. You guys should try riding in a YJ Jeep if you think the JK is bad. You guys must be used to riding around in luxury cars, or plush SUV's to think a JK rides rough. For being solid front and rear axles, they're pretty decent actually.

This is assuming that the Jeep is on stock suspension. Some after market lifts kits make the Jeeps ride like crap.
      So because older Jeeps and trucks ride worse, we shouldn't be able to criticize the Wrangler? That's ****ing ridiculous
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Vehicles
      2017 JK Rubicon Recon and a '95 Yota 4x4 (hardly any rust!)
      05-19-2017 04:52 PM #522
      Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post

My 95 Toyota 4x4 has leaf springs. My 2010 Tacoma w/ the Off-Road Package has leaf springs....So I have experience with ****ty road manners.

The 95...rides like crap, obviously. But that's part of the charm. The 2010 Taco rides so much better than my JK did. Was basically a luxury car in comparison. My JK had stock suspension. And while I had no problem with long trips with it...it still sucked driving day-to-day for 3 years. It just got old.

That being said....I miss the Wrangler...and have been eyeing to get back into one before the new model arrives....what's wrong with me?

05-19-2017 05:13 PM #523
      [QUOTE=Sporin;105482625]
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post

Come on, she off-roads all the time in Walmart's parking lot
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

Vehicles
      1992 VW Golf GTI 16v, 2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon, 2010 VW Golf TDI
      05-19-2017 05:58 PM #524
      It's seems like there are a few people who have creeky old bones and can't handle a firmer ride and or left the stock sized tires on the truck which is a mistake.

I actually think they did try to keep the off-roaders in mind with the truck design. Look at how high the bottom of the bed is compared to most trucks on the market. It would not take much for the aftermarket to protect the body work with a redesigned bumper. Combine it with a small body lift to allow a perfectly flat belly skid plate and you are well on your way.
      XboxLive: MotoSoul
      Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post

I don't understand why some people don't use capitalization when typing on the internet? Capitalization is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-19-2017 08:12 PM #525
      [QUOTE=Sporin;105482625]
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post

Sure it is - not necessarily rock crawlers, but it'll be more capable than the Tacoma TRD Pro and Colorado ZR2, I would think. Obviously, if departure and breakover angles are selling points for you, you're going for the 2dr SWB, not the pickup. I can see this being totally adequate for your ExPo, overland glamper types, though.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 05-19-2017 at 08:15 PM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast