KilometerMagazine.com - Tesla Model 3 prototype revealed - On-sale in late 2017 with a 215-mile minimum range and a base price of $35,000
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
      Vehicles
      '01 BMW 740i Sport, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      04-01-2016 04:36 PM #251
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      The greenhouse looks like a funhouse mirror reflection. Here you go Elon:
      Everybody hates the high beltline, gunslit windows, Tesla gives us tall windows we can see out of and poeple complain that the windows are too tall. Go figure.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Vehicles
      1990 Olds Delta 88, 1986 Pontiac Parisienne Safari
      04-01-2016 04:37 PM #252
      I was surprised to see these are running, driving prototypes. The interior looks like a styrofoam placeholder mockup. If GM rolled out an interior that looked like that, I would be able to hear the laughter from here.

That aside, I don't think the question is whether the car will be any good. At this point, Tesla is smart enough to know the car has to be good. The real question is whether it's possible to be truly profitable as a company that only builds stuff like this, and on a large scale. GM can afford to mess around with the Bolt because the truck side of the house is subsidizing that business for the time being. Tesla doesn't have that luxury. If they pull this off, everybody in the auto industry is going to be studying how they did it.

-Andrew L
      "The whole economy is hinged on potholes." --Ray Magliozzi
      Hubcap Business on hiatus while I finish the Pontiac Project and The House | Philly/NJ highways blog Windshield Time

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      04-01-2016 04:39 PM #253
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Everybody hates the high beltline, gunslit windows, Tesla gives us tall windows we can see out of and poeple complain that the windows are too tall. Go figure.
      EXACTLY!!!!! I for one applaud Tesla for giving us some more glass to see out of. The high beltline trend is beyond played out.

Besides, that profile looks badass!!
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

4. Member
      04-01-2016 04:40 PM #254
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      The greenhouse looks like a funhouse mirror reflection. Here you go Elon:

Original:
      I like the original. You're just making it look more like a Model S. If that's the look you want, they already make that.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      04-01-2016 04:47 PM #255

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Canyon, 320i
      04-01-2016 04:49 PM #256
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      No, you didn't I'm pretty sure you saw a Model S. They do look nice, though.
      I see the model S all the time. I know the difference, it was a model 3.

7. Member
      04-01-2016 04:52 PM #257
      Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
      I see the model S all the time. I know the difference, it was a model 3.
      Could have been on the road for that promo video they showed at the reveal. How long ago was it?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Canyon, 320i
      04-01-2016 04:55 PM #258
      Quote Originally Posted by DJMRDARK View Post
      Could have been on the road for that promo video they showed at the reveal. How long ago was it?
      Yesterday. After a quick google, I guess it could have been an X, DEFINITELY not an S.

9. Member
      04-01-2016 05:04 PM #259
      Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
      Yesterday. After a quick google, I guess it could have been an X, DEFINITELY not an S.
      Yeah, if yesterday I'd say it was the X. They have a similar greenhouse, but taller.

I must say Tesla has done a fantastic job of keeping this hidden. I see many mules and preproduction cars from the likes of Porsche rolling around. Never seen a non-production Tesla here. So unless they are shooting promo vids or commercials its unlikely you saw a Model 3.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '05 4Runner - '10 Prius
      04-01-2016 05:10 PM #260
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Why on earth does this car have that roof?

For one, won't it let in a ton of sun and you'll put a harder load on the A/C and drain your battery faster?

And why do cars like this not have a roof that contains solar cellsl? Seems to me that, apart from cost, it would be a no-brainer to have some solar augmentation, perhaps to charge a cabin battery for the lighter-duty items like interior lights, etc.
      There really is nothing beyond "hey look at this" to having a full glass roof. The negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion and plenty of X owners are already making minor complaints about this. It will only be worse in the 3.

If there was a choice of glass roof or conventional roof I'd take the conventional roof every time.

11. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      04-01-2016 05:12 PM #261
      I hear you. It just seems obvious that Panasonic offers other opportunities by being involved is all I'm saying. No way to know what those are right now.
      Agreed. It is a confidence vote from a respected company... for an otherwise risky investment. Even if Tesla fails like what some of the analysts say what they've accomplished will be studied by every MBA school. And marketing program. Heck, their aggressive push for simplified design might make most engineers raise a brow, but that is good engineering in the end (i.e. Simplest design that works. ).

Like what Somegrown noted earlier... it really behooves us all that they succeed, because electrification is very important for society's future. The push doesn't need black eyes. It doesn't need competitors treating each other like politicians campaigning. It needs to win over more and more people... especially in light of this glut of oil.

12. Member
      04-01-2016 05:14 PM #262
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post

Well, the 3 still has a high beltline:

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      04-01-2016 05:15 PM #263
      I like the original. You're just making it look more like a Model S. If that's the look you want, they already make that.
      For twice the price

14. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      04-01-2016 05:21 PM #264
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      There really is nothing beyond "hey look at this" to having a full glass roof. The negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion and plenty of X owners are already making minor complaints about this. It will only be worse in the 3.

If there was a choice of glass roof or conventional roof I'd take the conventional roof every time.
      It'll impress the **** out of many... until their first hot sunny day. Even with a shade the heat sink effect will be large.

And that's the customer. Now imagine the glass mfr. That is a seriously expensive part to make... and transport. Most people don't ever think about logistics of auto parts... on this scale. That is horrible packaging density and risk and packaging design. Imagine delivering it to repair shops!

15. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      04-01-2016 05:27 PM #265
      Quote Originally Posted by rimtrim View Post
      I was surprised to see these are running, driving prototypes. The interior looks like a styrofoam placeholder mockup. If GM rolled out an interior that looked like that, I would be able to hear the laughter from here.

That aside, I don't think the question is whether the car will be any good. At this point, Tesla is smart enough to know the car has to be good. The real question is whether it's possible to be truly profitable as a company that only builds stuff like this, and on a large scale. GM can afford to mess around with the Bolt because the truck side of the house is subsidizing that business for the time being. Tesla doesn't have that luxury. If they pull this off, everybody in the auto industry is going to be studying how they did it.

-Andrew L
      Money. Convincing lenders to continue to loan... and have patience. That's the only way. And that requires a charm offensive from hell at this point by Elon.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      Canyon, 320i
      04-01-2016 05:28 PM #266
      Yeah, if yesterday I'd say it was the X. They have a similar greenhouse, but taller.

I must say Tesla has done a fantastic job of keeping this hidden. I see many mules and preproduction cars from the likes of Porsche rolling around. Never seen a non-production Tesla here. So unless they are shooting promo vids or commercials its unlikely you saw a Model 3.
      Yeah, probably an X
      If a model 3 promo shows up with a white one in Hawaii, then it was a 3.

17. Member
      04-01-2016 05:33 PM #267
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho View Post
      Money. Convincing lenders to continue to loan... and have patience. That's the only way. And that requires a charm offensive from hell at this point by Elon.
      Not to mention demonstrating demand for said vehicles to make patience easier to have as it assures repayment. It also opens the door to getting more financing so they can profit off of the pent up demand by paying to scale up more. I've seen this song and dance on a much smaller scale from a startup I was once involved in.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      04-01-2016 05:39 PM #268
      Here are a few photoshops with different grills. Will be interesting to see what changes are made between now and the second reveal.

Last edited by Relax; 04-01-2016 at 05:55 PM.

04-01-2016 05:55 PM #269
      It'll impress the **** out of many... until their first hot sunny day. Even with a shade the heat sink effect will be large.

And that's the customer. Now imagine the glass mfr. That is a seriously expensive part to make... and transport. Most people don't ever think about logistics of auto parts... on this scale. That is horrible packaging density and risk and packaging design. Imagine delivering it to repair shops!
      Mark my words... that one-piece glass will be the "falcon wing doors" of Model 3... a time consuming engineering/design feature that no paying customers (fine, only a tiny handful) will care about.

I really want a hatchback damn it Elon.

20. Senior Member
      04-01-2016 05:58 PM #270
      Most people don't ever think about logistics of auto parts... on this scale.
      I thought Elon just called up Safelite to show up at the gigityfactory
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

04-01-2016 06:02 PM #271
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Mark my words... that one-piece glass will be the "falcon wing doors" of Model 3... a time consuming engineering/design feature that no paying customers (fine, only a tiny handful) will care about.
      I hope not, but it does remind me of past failures along those lines. Didn't VW have persistent cracked windshields for the New Beetle because of the size of the glass? I think Kia recently had similar problems. I also recall a thread a while ago about some car with a pano roof forming cracks over time due to the twisting of the frame of the car. This would be the largest pano roof I know of, if they go through with it as shown (meaning single piece).

22. Member
      04-01-2016 06:05 PM #272
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      I hope not, but it does remind me of past failures along those lines. Didn't VW have persistent cracked windshields for the New Beetle because of the size of the glass? I think Kia recently had similar problems. I also recall a thread a while ago about some car with a pano roof forming cracks over time due to the twisting of the frame of the car. This would be the largest pano roof I know of, if they go through with it as shown (meaning single piece).
      All of that sounds like a thickness of glass issue and not the size of glass. Also there are differing grades of glass, so...

Vehicles
      2011 Naruhito Zelas
      04-01-2016 06:06 PM #273
      Nowdays us made cars what you're proud of

24. Member
      04-01-2016 06:12 PM #274
      ^Winner.

Vehicles
      13 Elantra
      04-01-2016 06:18 PM #275
      Quote Originally Posted by rimtrim View Post

-Andrew L
      I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised

Tesla already has done the dirty R&D work on powertrain so the company can easily scale down into a smaller sedan(ish) vehicle.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

For advertising information click HERE

Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast