KilometerMagazine.com - Name an instance in which you would purchase a Kia (serious)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
      03-05-2017 08:47 PM #276
      Quote Originally Posted by URSledgehammer View Post
      TLC has answered this question a long time ago.

And I am yet to have seen one.
      I usually don't see them on the road, but there are three in my podunk little town.

Chris
      | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1999 Ford F-250 | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

2. 03-05-2017 10:49 PM #277
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      http://www.consumerreports.org/cars-...op-picks-2017/

I guess that answers the thread's title question

And the only Honda on the list was for pickup truck..... Bizarro world? Someone check to make sure dogs and cats aren't living together.
      yep, bizarre. And the Kia Soul was the US New and World Report number 1 compact car for 2016. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/kia/soul

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      03-05-2017 10:59 PM #278
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      Why is it so hard to believe someone wouldn't want to own a Hyundai clone made up of econoboxes and CUVs, no matter how great they may be? The K900 threads just prove how that's not a viable option with so many better choices either.

And that's just a vehicle to vehicle comparison. Factor in service and I doubt they even come up in a conversation compared to many other brands. Frankly, I'm too old and busy to play the shuttle-to-work or find-a-ride game anymore. I need a car that the Service Writer doesn't act like he personally owns and fills with gas.

Those are also reasons nearly my entire family has left VW for greener pastures after I was the catalyst for all VW ownership in the family some 26 years ago now. Everyone's now 26 years older and VW's service hasn't gotten any better, but we have less time and patience for their usual crap, so.most have moved on. The sole holdout does 100% of his own wrenching or he probably would've followed suit.
      You've moved out of the demographic, the KIA brand is moving up but it's the more value oriented brand for Hyundai. Most Kia buyers don't expect concierge service for their value brand vehicle.
      signatures are annoying, right?

Vehicles
      1998 Acura RL, 1983 Jetta Coupe 16V
      03-05-2017 11:11 PM #279
      The one time I would buy a Kia?

When I need to replace the vehicle for my wife to drive into things with, preferably for a couple G

5. 03-20-2017 09:22 PM #280
      Quote Originally Posted by BLK9GEN View Post
      Ross, please shut up. You're just as bad as all the Honda haters that talk about the Crosstour without ever having driven one.

The Sportage, Sedona, Sonata, Sorento, Soul and Optima all ride/handle quite well. Kia has the ride/handling thing pretty much fully addressed at this point, but yet people like you and the OP want to pretend it's 2002 and Kia is still building ****boxes. Their most recent entry in the midsize sedan segment is probably the best example of this as each vehicle they launch is markedly better than the last. I full expect the Cadenza to follow suit.

Just a couple examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5qTRSR07NY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xG0HmsKg24

No one offers the overall blend of warranty coverage, feature content, and styling for the money. And Kias aren't even cheap anymore. They're still affordable, but a good number of their cars can/do exceed $35k now (Sonata, Sportage, Sedona, Sorento, Cadenza, K900).
      What are you on about? I rented a new Kia Soul for two weeks and it drove awful.

The steering was super light, overboosted, and no feel. Ride quality was good on smooth pavement but not well controlled on choppier street, power was non-existent (you need to floor this thing on the highway to get up to speed), and handling was lol.

When I returned it, it reeked of burnt oil.

These things are cheap disposable cars and nothing more.

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 10:45 PM #281
      Quote Originally Posted by tejlab View Post

Absolutely agree. They turn to garbage at the same time decent cars are just being broken in.

Vehicles
      '17 Accord Sport SE 6MT Andy Approved! - '12 Honda Pilot EX-L Family Truckster
      03-20-2017 10:46 PM #282
      What are you on about? I rented a new Kia Soul for two weeks and it drove awful.

The steering was super light, overboosted, and no feel. Ride quality was good on smooth pavement but not well controlled on choppier street, power was non-existent (you need to floor this thing on the highway to get up to speed), and handling was lol.

Right. Because an abused, rental grade Soul represents Kia and Hyundai as a whole.

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      03-20-2017 10:58 PM #283
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      Right. Because an abused, rental grade Soul represents Kia and Hyundai as a whole.
      I have driven quite a few loaded examples and they were all pretty bad.

The Rio's steering didn't even self-center. Who does that?
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

9. Senior Member
      03-20-2017 11:21 PM #284
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      So it just went around in circles unless you forcibly moved the wheel?
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

03-20-2017 11:27 PM #285

I guess that's why it's C&Ds highest rated subcompact crossover, was awarded highest initial quality by J.D. Power, has great reliability and crash test scores, and has managed to far outlive and outsell its boxy brethren (Element, Cube, xB/xD) - because its awful.

From a performance enthusiast's perspective it's never been a GTI alternative, but the current $25k ! model does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds according to C&D which is much quicker than anything in the segment. It also has great visibility, is a breeze to park in urban environments, has ideal ingress/egress, and offers up a surprising amount of useable interior space. I'm 6'2 and I never have to duck down at stop lights - it has more headroom than any car it's size. There is a reason why so many people love them.

http://www.caranddriver.com/kia/soul

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/kia/soul

https://www.edmunds.com/kia/soul/2017/wagon/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by BLK9GEN; 03-20-2017 at 11:32 PM.
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 11:39 PM #286
      and has managed to far outlive and outsell its boxy brethren (Element, Cube, xB/xD) - because its cheaper.
      Fixed.

03-20-2017 11:41 PM #287
      I have driven quite a few loaded examples and they were all pretty bad.

Why does opening/closing the windows on pretty much any Honda ever cause their upper door cards to move? Why does the entire center console in the new CR-V flex like its loose? Don't even get me started on their CVTs.

I swear you've lost any credibility you once had. You just can't resist trolling Hyundai/Kia and Mazda threads. Your Crosstour goggles have blinded you to the truth.

Love one another

03-20-2017 11:52 PM #288
      Quote Originally Posted by GoStumpy View Post
      Fixed.
      False. The Scions and Nissan were just as cheap. And none of them could be loaded up to $27-28k which is what a loaded Soul goes for these days.

Last edited by BLK9GEN; 03-21-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Love one another

03-20-2017 11:53 PM #289

Love one another

Vehicles
      03-21-2017 12:13 AM #290
      Why does opening/closing the windows on pretty much any Honda ever cause their upper door cards to move? Why does the entire center console in the new CR-V flex like its loose? Don't even get me started on their CVTs.

I swear you've lost any credibility you once had. You just can't resist trolling Hyundai/Kia and Mazda threads. Your Crosstour goggles have blinded you to the truth.
      Yeah, they blinded me all the way to a VW store...lol

I troll these threads because there is no place for serious discussion in them. A handful of very vocal posters are convinced that Hyundai and Kia have completely caught up to and in many cases surpassed the Japanese. In my experience that isn't true, and my experience wasn't just one or two horrid rentals either.

16. 03-21-2017 12:32 AM #291
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      The car had 16k KILOMETERS on the clock and still had that KIA "new car smell".

I guess that's why it's C&Ds highest rated subcompact crossover, was awarded highest initial quality by J.D. Power, has great reliability and crash test scores, and has managed to far outlive and outsell its boxy brethren (Element, Cube, xB/xD) - because its awful.

From a performance enthusiast's perspective it's never been a GTI alternative, but the current $25k ! model does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds according to C&D which is much quicker than anything in the segment. It also has great visibility, is a breeze to park in urban environments, has ideal ingress/egress, and offers up a surprising amount of useable interior space. I'm 6'2 and I never have to duck down at stop lights - it has more headroom than any car it's size. There is a reason why so many people love them.

http://www.caranddriver.com/kia/soul

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/kia/soul

https://www.edmunds.com/kia/soul/2017/wagon/

0-60 in 6.5 seconds? Is this a special trim level? Because the one I had was nowhere near that number. Specs online hit closer to 8 seconds, and even that feels generous. It was painfully slow.

I will give you that it had a lot of interior space, but this was not an impressive car overall. It felt every bit like a modern version of a cheap disposable economy car.

False. The Scions and Nissan were just as cheap. And none of them could be loaded up to $27-28k which is what a loaded Soul goes for these days.

For that kind of money on a crossover I would go a loaded CX-5 all day. There is no compelling reason to buy a Soul over that or the other plethora of options at that price point.

Base Soul starts at $16k, which is dirt cheap for a crossover.
      Last edited by tejlab; 03-21-2017 at 01:08 AM.

17. Senior Member
      03-21-2017 01:02 AM #292
      In my experience that isn't true, and my experience wasn't just one or two horrid rentals either.
      Your experience is a rental that drove around in circles unless coerced to do otherwise not sure your credibility in this thread matters......

0-60 in 6.5 seconds? Is this a special trim level? Because the one I had was nowhere near that number.
      Stop watch timing a rental car, the Car Lounge is now hella gangstah fo sho

The fact is the Koreans are pulling a Japanese, and the Japanese car lovers are pulling a Big 3 car lover. Having lived through both revolutions I find it funny as hell We just need someone to tell us the Koreans are recycling soda/pop cans in order to make their cars and the cycle shall be complete This will be the argument betwixt Korean cars and Chinese cars a decade from now
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      03-21-2017 01:18 AM #293
      I troll these threads because there is no place for serious discussion in them. A handful of very vocal posters are convinced that Hyundai and Kia have completely caught up to and in many cases surpassed the Japanese. In my experience that isn't true, and my experience wasn't just one or two horrid rentals either.

Maybe there isn't a place for serious discussion because of trolling? And it's not just a handful of posters that think that Hyundai and Kia have caught up to the Japanese...

0-60 in 6.5 seconds? Is this a special trim level? Because the one I had was nowhere near that number. Specs online hit closer to 8 seconds, and even that feels generous. It was painfully slow.
      The Soul has a new 201hp turbocharged engine in the top trim level, it starts at $22,800.

For that kind of money on a crossover I would go a loaded CX-5 all day. There is no compelling reason to buy a Soul over that or the other plethora of options at that price point.
      The CX-5 is a different class of car, the CX-3 is what competes with the Soul. The all-new CX-5 starts at $24k and tops out at over $30k, so try again.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Vehicles
      03-21-2017 01:19 AM #294
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Your experience is a rental that drove around in circles unless coerced to do otherwise not sure your credibility in this thread matters......
      Now where did I say it was a rental?

This is why there's no point in trying to have a serious discussion about it.

And if you're having a hard time understanding what I meant by the steering comment, that's on you. The steering didn't have a recirculating feature, so you couldn't just let the wheel slide back to center on its own after making a turn. You had to turn the wheel to make a turn, then turn it back to get it pointed straight again. That's...abnormal to say the least.

20. Member
      03-21-2017 02:09 AM #295
      Yeah, they blinded me all the way to a VW store...lol

Ross, you are pathological. You seriously need some type of help. And btw, the opinions JD and CR support the ascension of the Koreans, and I'd say they are far more reputable than you.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Vehicles
      03-21-2017 02:24 AM #296
      Quote Originally Posted by DJMRDARK View Post
      Ross, you are pathological. You seriously need some type of help. And btw, the opinions JD and CR support the ascension of the Koreans, and I'd say they are far more reputable than you.
      I'll remember this next time you go nuts in a BMW thread. Everyone has their preference and mine is not H/K. They're on their way, but not there yet and certainly not to the point where I'd consider spending my own money on one. That's the premise of the thread no?

22. 03-21-2017 02:33 AM #297
      Quote Originally Posted by DJMRDARK View Post
      Ascension is a different thing.

The Koreans have certainly ascended from where they were ten years ago, but relatively they have ascended from utter crap to average/below average in terms of product.

People mistake this for something much bigger than it is. In reality it's just the industry homogenizing. I love how people ignore how far GM and Ford have come along as well.

The change below is just as rapid as Hyundai/Kia.

Last edited by tejlab; 03-21-2017 at 02:40 AM.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      03-21-2017 09:23 AM #298
      I love how people ignore how far GM and Ford have come along as well.
      That's because they aren't remotely the same thing. Both Ford and GM have been making cars, and very good cars, for a long time. Long before Hyundai/kia were in this country. The difference is that GM/Ford went from making good cars, to chasing profit and ensuring that their good cars became horrible cars for, what, a 20+ yr stretch? Your pictures aren't accurate at all---it's not that GM found a way to get better, they switched priorities. Hyundai/Kia came to this country with utter garbage cars that were the very definition of penalty boxes. They had almost no redeemable qualities. And with each successive generation, the brand made cars that were noticeably better than the previous. Now are they exactly where they need to be? Clearly there's some argument about that. I think they're pretty close to where they should be, and for the average person, a vastly better buy than anything Japanese. The nuances of driving dynamics are where they fall short, IMO. This is why my SO drives a Hyundai and I don't (although I drive her car quite a bit more than mine). When Hyundai makes a car that I personally WANT to own, that IMO, is when they've fully made it. They're not that far away though. I do like the current genesis sedan lineup quite a bit, but I'm not much of a luxo car guy.
      Last edited by 6cylVWguy; 03-21-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Vehicles
      '17 GLI DSG
      03-21-2017 10:40 AM #299
      This is the stupidest conversation ever. I rent tons and tons of cars per year. I've never had any build quality issues with ANY except Mini. Hyundai and Kia have some bland offerings, but so do Toyota and plenty of popular brands. Hyundai and Kia aren't third world automakers, they know what they are doing. They make appliances for the same people as Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc. TCL is not representative of the car buying public at all and for regular car buyers absolutely nothing is wrong with a Kia or Hyundai product.

25. 03-21-2017 10:57 AM #300
      Now where did I say it was a rental?

This is why there's no point in trying to have a serious discussion about it.

And if you're having a hard time understanding what I meant by the steering comment, that's on you. The steering didn't have a recirculating feature, so you couldn't just let the wheel slide back to center on its own after making a turn. You had to turn the wheel to make a turn, then turn it back to get it pointed straight again. That's...abnormal to say the least.
      I agree 100% with you on this. No one wants to actually discuss the merits of how cars drive here anymore. They all just want to circle jerk each other while complimenting each other on their $3000 down $300 a month leased SUV. That doesn't make for fun conversation for people who actually want to geek out about automobiles and the data that go with them. Nor does it make fun conversation for the people who are just here for the circle jerk...
      Last edited by dr.pepperuwm; 03-21-2017 at 11:38 AM.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast