KilometerMagazine.com - Name an instance in which you would purchase a Kia (serious)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    1. 04-22-2016 01:06 PM #26
      I think for most non-car people (like a lot of my coworkers), they're a lot of bang for the buck. You get the goodies you want in your SUV, like bluetooth and heated seats, for less money than a Toyota or Honda.

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      04-22-2016 01:06 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
      I'm also eagerly awaiting for them to make a decent EV. Nobody knows batter tech like the Koreans.
      http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/soul-ev/2016
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Vehicles
      Heavy Breathing Baboon Hauler
      04-22-2016 01:07 PM #28
      It's the same reason why people buy cheaper flat screens. Great bang for the buck, where they can get a product with more features for less money.

People generally aren't car enthusiasts, and these cars cater to the budget conscious while delivering luxury features. Pretty simple.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Vehicles
      2 cars - 3 turbos
      04-22-2016 01:15 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by rsj0714 View Post
      Because that's what they could afford?

Kinda a douchy question, No?
      Not really since there are many other competing cars at the same price point.
      Let's argue this the American way; volume, proximity, and repetition.

04-22-2016 01:19 PM #30
      Ross, please shut up. You're just as bad as all the Honda haters that talk about the Crosstour without ever having driven one.

The Sportage, Sedona, Sonata, Sorento, Soul and Optima all ride/handle quite well. Kia has the ride/handling thing pretty much fully addressed at this point, but yet people like you and the OP want to pretend it's 2002 and Kia is still building ****boxes. Their most recent entry in the midsize sedan segment is probably the best example of this as each vehicle they launch is markedly better than the last. I full expect the Cadenza to follow suit.

Just a couple examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5qTRSR07NY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xG0HmsKg24

No one offers the overall blend of warranty coverage, feature content, and styling for the money. And Kias aren't even cheap anymore. They're still affordable, but a good number of their cars can/do exceed $35k now (Sonata, Sportage, Sedona, Sorento, Cadenza, K900).
      Last edited by BLK9GEN; 04-22-2016 at 01:21 PM.
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

6. 04-22-2016 01:22 PM #31
      i think most kia owners are loyal to the brand's offerings of no-nonsense, simply working cars, with good warranty for owner satisfaction

if kia 900 gives you same/similar features as mercedez S class, why wouldn't you save the difference ?

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      04-22-2016 01:29 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Vicelord View Post
      Not really since there are many other competing cars at the same price point.
      And some people might like the Kias more than their competitors. Shocking, I know.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

04-22-2016 01:29 PM #33
      Gun to my head sounds about good...
      2014 Focus ST | 2001 Cabrio VR-T | 1995 GTI VR6
      A2Resource |

FS: MK3.5 Mirrors

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      04-22-2016 01:33 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by BLK9GEN View Post
      Ross, please shut up. You're just as bad as all the Honda haters that talk about the Crosstour without ever having driven one.

The Sportage, Sedona, Sonata, Sorento, Soul and Optima all ride/handle quite well. Kia has the ride/handling thing pretty much fully addressed at this point, but yet people like you and the OP want to pretend it's 2002 and Kia is still building ****boxes. Their most recent entry in the midsize sedan segment is probably the best example of this as each vehicle they launch is markedly better than the last.
      ---
      No one offers the overall blend of warranty coverage, feature content, and styling for the money. And Kias aren't even cheap anymore. They're still affordable, but a good number of their cars can/do exceed $35k now (Sonata, Sportage, Sedona, Sorento, Cadenza, K900).
      Well good thing the last KIAs I drove weren't 2002 models.

If your Optima was so awesome why don't you still have it? Because it was a quick phase you went through because you liked the styling and feature content, but that is not why I buy cars. I buy cars to keep them and love them, not to change them when the mood strikes or something prettier comes out.

The '13 Optima I drove was terrible considering it was a new car. It handled like a mid-90s Corolla and was completely forgettable outside of some cool interior details and a pano roof. IMO no discerning enthusiast should buy one unless the Honda, Mazda, and VW dealers all get hit by meteors and you need a car that day.

Where are their performance models? Where are the manuals and DCTs? And where are the savings?
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Vehicles
      98 whatchamacallit
      04-22-2016 01:34 PM #35
      Used. Ahem, pre-owned daily 4 banger for covering some mileage needs. Drop it before the warranty gets hot.

You asked!

Hyundai has, IMO more compelling vehicle choices like the interesting Veloster design, Genesis RWD coupe, full size Genesis sedan, Equus, etc.

Vehicles
      2005 Mini S Conv. 2006 F350 CC 4x4 Lariat 2009 BMW 328 X Drive
      04-22-2016 01:36 PM #36
      I don't hate the looks of the Sportage and I had a rental Optima and it was nice. Would consider if I needed a commuter vehicle.

Vehicles
      '15 Ford C-Max Energi
      04-22-2016 01:38 PM #37
      If you go in without any preconceived notions, Kia makes a really good product.

You'd just better make damned sure you don't miss a maintenance. Not by an hour. Not by a mile. Otherwise you can kiss that 10/100 goodbye.
      --Chris

04-22-2016 01:38 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      Well good thing the last KIAs I drove weren't 2002 models.

If your Optima was so awesome why don't you still have it? Because it was a quick phase you went through because you liked the styling and feature content, but that is not why I buy cars. I buy cars to keep them and love them, not to change them when the mood strikes or something prettier comes out.

The '13 Optima I drove was terrible considering it was a new car. It handled like a mid-90s Corolla and was completely forgettable outside of some cool interior details and a pano roof. IMO no discerning enthusiast should buy one unless the Honda, Mazda, and VW dealers all get hit by meteors and you need a car that day.

Where are their performance models? Where are the manuals and DCTs? And where are the savings?
      I never had an Optima. I had a Sonata 2.4, which was not as nice inside as the Optima, but came out a full 6 months earlier when I was in the market. I still consider my Genesis sedan one of the best all around cars I have owned (along with my dearly missed E39 5 Series). I guess I just get tired of cars. I have owned/leased 7 Honda/Acura vehicles and I don't have any of them either so I am not sure what your point is in relation to the Optima/Sonata.

As for your opinions, they are just that, opinions. Ones that do not line up with the vast majority of the buying public and automotive press I might add. The last Optima looked the part, but wasn't the best in class to drive, but it certainly wasn't comparable to a 1995 Corolla, get off it.
      Last edited by BLK9GEN; 04-22-2016 at 01:41 PM.
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

Vehicles
      2015 Ford Fiesta ST, 2016 Ford Escape... driven at/or beyond their limits
      04-22-2016 01:43 PM #39
      I've driven a few Optimas and Souls over the past few years... absolutely nothing wrong with either of those vehicles.

Plus, I was getting those necks snappin' HARD as I rolled down the street or through the parking lot in them. OP should give them a shot.

04-22-2016 01:43 PM #40
      Ironically one of my favorite Zipcars in the compact sedan class is the Kia Forte. The Audi interior influence is obvious and it was a leap better than the 9th generation Civic that was on sale at the same time.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Vehicles
      2014 Fiesta ST, 2004 Accord EX, 2003 LS430
      04-22-2016 01:47 PM #41
      Because you like Kia.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dpaul04 View Post
      Dude, Im posting in TCL.. If I didn't know everything I wouldn't be here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      Saying the P1 doesn't excite you because of hybrid is like saying you find Scarlett Johansson repulsive because she shares the same gender as Rosie O'Donnell.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      04-22-2016 01:52 PM #42
      I've looked at them, but have not come away with a purchase. There's always some BS deal-breaker.

I like the Sorrento and Soul, and was really interested in the Soul EV (until my home charging station hopes were dashed).
      Salt Lake City was not discovered by Dracula and the shark people.

04-22-2016 01:52 PM #43
      I think most people Kias can turn a few heads.

19. 04-22-2016 01:57 PM #44
      Just went through this with my parents. Outback 3.6R Limited 39,840. Highlander Limited AWD- 41,500. Honda Pilot Touring 45,000. Sorento SX V6 AWD- 37,500. Plus my cousin owns a dealer so they got it at cost. Let me tell you they love it. Dad who was anti sunroof says he loves having it in this car. He keeps the shade open all the time. Mom likes the cooled seats. Overall for them it was the perfect purchase. To each their own. Their neighbor who will only drive european luxury sedans said the inside is as nice as her 15 Lexus ES. Even my brother in law Bain side the inside of the Sorento is nicer then his RX350. Just goes to show people need to stop looking at the past of the brand and just look at the current place they are.
      Me ~ 2016 Volvo XC90 T6 Onyx Black/Blonde~
      Wife ~ 2016 Infiniti QX80 AWD Hermosa Blue/Wheat~

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      04-22-2016 02:01 PM #45
      Because they offer great value for the money? Plenty of features, good reliability, long warranty... why not?

Once I take the payout or my Jetta SW TDI, I'm likely gonna purchase this to replace it (50mpg hybrid)

[url=http://postimg.org/image/ady0flmav/full/]
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      UberBlack
      04-22-2016 02:02 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by cubedfreek View Post
      Because they're fvcking awesome and practical and great looking, that's why. Stay on topic please.
      I live for this ****.

Vehicles
      Current: 2016 Honda HR-V (Past: 2009 Jetta)
      04-22-2016 02:04 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by mrr197 View Post
      Just went through this with my parents. Outback 3.6R Limited 39,840. Highlander Limited AWD- 41,500. Honda Pilot Touring 45,000. Sorento SX V6 AWD- 37,500. Plus my cousin owns a dealer so they got it at cost. Let me tell you they love it. Dad who was anti sunroof says he loves having it in this car. He keeps the shade open all the time. Mom likes the cooled seats. Overall for them it was the perfect purchase. To each their own. Their neighbor who will only drive european luxury sedans said the inside is as nice as her 15 Lexus ES. Even my brother in law Bain side the inside of the Sorento is nicer then his RX350. Just goes to show people need to stop looking at the past of the brand and just look at the current place they are.
      Agreed. Especially if you are keeping the car for a long time, who cares about resale. Not everyone cares about driving dynamics, if they did, then Camrys and the like wouldn't sell. Most people just want a reliable, affordable car to get them from point A to B.

If I compare a generic Toyota sedan (let's say Camry) to generic Kia sedan (let's say Optima), the Kia comes out ahead in a lot of categories except for possibly MPG (might not matter w/ gas prices) and resale.

23. 04-22-2016 02:06 PM #48

In this instance.

04-22-2016 02:06 PM #49
      So, I own a Kia currently. I love the engine, I like that it blends in (its my people mover/tow vehicle), is on a full frame so it tows well and is a very quiet and comfortable cabin. The Grand Cherokee didn't offer a 3rd row, the Trailblazer or explorer couldn't be bought for what I paid for mine, and honestly, its NVH is way better than those I just listed. Now, I don't care for the fact that the transmission rushes to get into 5th gear unless I'm on it, and the ride is very trucky, but its a limo when its loaded.

The current Kias? They look great, they drive great and offer a ton of bang for the buck. The badge on the hood or trunk doesn't matter to me. What matters is whether my money is being used well. If I kept cars longer than 3 years, I'd probably be in a new Sedona. Those are sharp! I also love the Sorento and Sportage, and the Forte is a great looking car in its class. I also love the Cadenza's and K900's styling, and I'd own one of those too.

Honestly, the Koreans are offering the most compelling cars in that middle of the road price range, and their top tier stuff is fantastic. My question is "Why wouldn't you buy one?"

Chris
      | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1999 Ford F-250 | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

04-22-2016 02:07 PM #50
      Is this thread from 2002? Seriously, KIA is a respectable auto company as far as quality, fit, finish is concerned. I think the real problem people have with them is the badge. KIA is on the same level as GM, Ford, Honda, VW ... and any other non-premium brands.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast