KilometerMagazine.com - Well boys and girls........RS3 Time!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
    1. 04-25-2017 03:32 PM #451
      Quote Originally Posted by mattvandyk View Post
      Ah, that makes sense. In West Michigan, we get buried in snow, basically, for 4 solid months, so it's not even an option to not have winter tires. If you're not going to be changing tires, that makes total sense.
      Had RE-71s on the back of my R the first winter. Was interesting

2. 04-25-2017 03:35 PM #452
      Quote Originally Posted by The Wiry Irishman View Post
      I'd still have a set of summer wheels and tires - Advan Neovas, probably, since RE-11s, RE-71Rs, and G-Force Rivals don't appear to be available in the right sizes.
      You no likey PSS? I burned through a lot of different brands/models over the years before finally deciding that they were my hands-down favorite. Maybe it's the old man in me -- the same old man that has me buying an RS3 and not an M2 -- but for me, they're just the right balance of comfortable and capable.

3. 04-25-2017 03:42 PM #453
      I've pre booked mine in Dubai. Build date was april 16th and it should be in my hands first week of June. 2017 MY, pre configured by the dealer, but it's got everything except carbon brakes, mag ride and black optics.
      Really wanted the sportback but orders for those don't start till July and delivery 5 months after that. I couldn't wait.

There's only 13 coming to Dubai and ~5 are still unbooked.

Last edited by Stradalada; 04-25-2017 at 04:51 PM.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 k04 GTI
      04-25-2017 03:43 PM #454
      You no likey PSS? I burned through a lot of different brands/models over the years before finally deciding that they were my hands-down favorite. Maybe it's the old man in me -- the same old man that has me buying an RS3 and not an M2 -- but for me, they're just the right balance of comfortable and capable.
      Love the PSS. Just burned through my second set on my GTI last fall. But now that I'm no longer commuting 150 miles a day, I'm really looking forward to trying out a set of the really sticky, really low treadwear rating tires I mentioned.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Audi S3
      04-25-2017 04:37 PM #455
      Local dealer got an Ara Blue S3 in so I stopped in today to get some side by side pictures next to my Sepang S3. There were some light clouds but I made sure the sun was behind me. I like it. Little brighter than Sepang.

My RS3 is commissioned now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Xanlith; 04-25-2017 at 04:43 PM.

6. 04-25-2017 06:09 PM #456
      Love the PSS. Just burned through my second set on my GTI last fall. But now that I'm no longer commuting 150 miles a day, I'm really looking forward to trying out a set of the really sticky, really low treadwear rating tires I mentioned.
      I'm definitely a noob when it comes to tires and wheel talk; I have no idea what a square setup is! Lol. I do have the 'Dynamic package' w the staggered setup and I'm in healthcare; getting to work regardless of Northeastern weather is a must for me. I have a 40 mile commute and was hoping to enjoy the sticky rubber supplied with the RS but switch them out soon (hopefully on the stock wheels) with high performance ALL seasons like Michelins. From what I've read in here, is that NOT a possibility!?! Ugh!

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 k04 GTI
      04-25-2017 08:31 PM #457
      Quote Originally Posted by ethernaut05 View Post
      I'm definitely a noob when it comes to tires and wheel talk; I have no idea what a square setup is! Lol. I do have the 'Dynamic package' w the staggered setup and I'm in healthcare; getting to work regardless of Northeastern weather is a must for me. I have a 40 mile commute and was hoping to enjoy the sticky rubber supplied with the RS but switch them out soon (hopefully on the stock wheels) with high performance ALL seasons like Michelins. From what I've read in here, is that NOT a possibility!?! Ugh!

Square means same size wheels and tires on all four corners. You can certainly put all seasons on your stock staggered wheels, you just won't be be able to rotate them front to back (or at all with a directional tread) so they won't last as long.

I wouldn't​ recommend trying to swap between Summers and all seasons twice a year on the same set of wheels. With low profile sidewalls, getting mounted and dismounted a lot tends to wreck them. In the long run you'd be better off getting a second set of wheels.
      Last edited by The Wiry Irishman; 04-25-2017 at 08:35 PM.

8. 04-25-2017 08:34 PM #458
      Square means same size wheels and tires on all four corners. You can certainly put all seasons on your stock staggered wheels, you just won't be be able to rotate them front to back (or at all with a directional tread) so they won't last as long.
      Thanks. It sounds like if your going w the staggered package and want to square it w all season on new wheels, you'd need spacers? Wish Audi offered the AS tires as an option.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 k04 GTI
      04-25-2017 08:36 PM #459
      Thanks. It sounds like if your going w the staggered package and want to square it w all season on new wheels, you'd need spacers? Wish Audi offered the AS tires as an option.

Yeah, most likely, so you can clear the brakes in the front without poking too far in the rear. You need 3mm spacers on the pre facelift RS3, and it had smaller calipers.

EDIT: I'm with you on tire choice. It would be nice to select all seasons or summer that aren't garbage.

10. 04-26-2017 08:14 AM #460
      Yeah, most likely, so you can clear the brakes in the front without poking too far in the rear. You need 3mm spacers on the pre facelift RS3, and it had smaller calipers.

EDIT: I'm with you on tire choice. It would be nice to select all seasons or summer that aren't garbage.
      I'll have to ensure all seasons will be doable with the Dynamic Package cuz summer slicks ain't gonna work here in January/February!

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 k04 GTI
      04-26-2017 09:29 AM #461
      I'll have to ensure all seasons will be doable with the Dynamic Package cuz summer slicks ain't gonna work here in January/February!

You can make the stock wheels work for all seasons. The stock tire sizes? Maybe not so much. All season selection in the stock front size (255/30 R19) is limited to non-existent. You do have several options though:

1. Run Winter Tires - This would be my choice. The Northeast can get preposterous amounts of snow that would justify it, especially if you're working in health care and have to drive in to work whether the roads have been cleared or not. A variety of quality options are available in both front and rear dynamic package stock tire sizes. You'd have to get a second set of wheels to run in the summer, but I see that as a positive, as you can use nice summer tires and get the most out of your car in both seasons. The only downside is that if you get clean, dry roads in the winter, winter tire turn-in is mushy because the treads flex a lot.
      2. Get a second set of wheels for all-seasons. You could get them stock dynamic package widths but 18 diameter, or duplicate the non-dynamic package setup of 19x8 on all corners, as there are lots of great all-season options at 235/35 R19. The Conti DWS has hands-down the best snow performance at the cost of a little bit of turn-in sharpness and dry traction, Michelin Pilot Sport A/3+ is a reasonably close second for snow, but the dry road performance is startlingly close to a summer tire.
      3. Run Narrower Front Tires - There's lots of all-season options in 35 sidewalls. 235/35 and 245/35 would both fit on the front dynamic package wheels. These options will lead to different outside diameters than stock and cause some amount of speedometer error. You can use a tire size comparison tool like this one to quantify that difference exactly and compensate for it either mentally or if there's a tool in the MMI somewhere that does it. My 5-year old GTI has one, I would hope this car does too.
      4. Run Taller Front Tires - There's also a lot of all-season options in 255/35 R19. However, this makes the tires a full inch taller, so there's the potential for them to rub somewhere. Best to take it into a reputable mechanic or tire shop and see if they think the front arches have the space for it before ordering.

Also, any chance your screen name is a reference the Cruxshadows album?
      Last edited by The Wiry Irishman; 04-26-2017 at 09:31 AM.

12. 04-26-2017 09:40 AM #462
      I thought there were some TTRS guys using 18"s for winter.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 k04 GTI
      04-26-2017 09:42 AM #463
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterTroy View Post
      I thought there were some TTRS guys using 18"s for winter.
      There are. If the RS3 brakes are indeed the Gen1 R8/B8.5 RS5/etc brakes, then there should be a handful of 18s that clear.

14. 04-26-2017 09:52 AM #464
      You can make the stock wheels work for all seasons. The stock tire sizes? Maybe not so much. All season selection in the stock front size (255/30 R19) is limited to non-existent. You do have several options though:

1. Run Winter Tires - This would be my choice. The Northeast can get preposterous amounts of snow that would justify it, especially if you're working in health care and have to drive in to work whether the roads have been cleared or not. A variety of quality options are available in both front and rear dynamic package stock tire sizes. You'd have to get a second set of wheels to run in the summer, but I see that as a positive, as you can use nice summer tires and get the most out of your car in both seasons. The only downside is that if you get clean, dry roads in the winter, winter tire turn-in is mushy because the treads flex a lot.
      2. Get a second set of wheels for all-seasons. You could get them stock dynamic package widths but 18 diameter, or duplicate the non-dynamic package setup of 19x8 on all corners, as there are lots of great all-season options at 235/35 R19. The Conti DWS has hands-down the best snow performance at the cost of a little bit of turn-in sharpness and dry traction, Michelin Pilot Sport A/3+ is a reasonably close second for snow, but the dry road performance is startlingly close to a summer tire.
      3. Run Narrower Front Tires - There's lots of all-season options in 35 sidewalls. 235/35 and 245/35 would both fit on the front dynamic package wheels. These options will lead to different outside diameters than stock and cause some amount of speedometer error. You can use a tire size comparison tool like this one to quantify that difference exactly and compensate for it either mentally or if there's a tool in the MMI somewhere that does it. My 5-year old GTI has one, I would hope this car does too.
      4. Run Taller Front Tires - There's also a lot of all-season options in 255/35 R19. However, this makes the tires a full inch taller, so there's the potential for them to rub somewhere. Best to take it into a reputable mechanic or tire shop and see if they think the front arches have the space for it before ordering.

Uhhhh...I second ALL of this. The only thing I would add is that if you're going to change wheel diameter or sidewall height, be sure to run it through the tiresize.com calculator as suggested in point 3. In fact, if you're going to do anything at all, I'd run it through the tiresize.com calculator and the willtheyfit.com calculator just so you can see the relative difference in sizes, orientation, speedo impact, etc. It takes just a couple minutes and is very helpful for purposes of helping visualize it all and making sure you understand what all you're doing.

Also, this is an aside, but as a guy who lives in a very snowy/icy climate, I can't imagine not running winter tires during the winter. Admittedly, this will be my first non-RWD car (excluding my wife's AWD SUV), but even if the AWD is awesome, it'll just be more awesomer with a good set of winter tires. Although the initial cost is higher because you're buying two sets of tires, the only real extra expense is the second set of wheels; remember, the tires should last roughly twice as long as they would otherwise since you're using each set half as much. That said, generally, treadwear on both winters and summers is worse than on all-season, but that's a trade-off I'm happy to make.

15. 04-26-2017 03:28 PM #465
      Ara Blue w/ Black Optics in daylight:

Source: https://instagram.com/p/BTMEu51BCkq/
      Keep coming back to look at these pics. Sort of wish I went with exclusive paint now. This looks so good.

16. 04-26-2017 03:29 PM #466

Hey Irishman! That's funny there's an album named Ethernaut! I'm actually a Nurse Anesthetist. We don't use Ether any more; but now you get the idea! I really thank you for the help with the wheel/tire info. It's gonna be an interesting conversation now that my wife has finally accepted the $63k now I'll have to explain we need to spend $1200 for detailing and Opti-Pro+ and $2.5k on all new wheels and all seasons!!! Yikes!!

17. 04-26-2017 03:53 PM #467
      Keep coming back to look at these pics. Sort of wish I went with exclusive paint now. This looks so good.
      Here are some more of the Ara Blue + Black Optics car at the Beijing Auto Show that I was able to dig up. For the record, these confirmed for me that I was getting BO.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 k04 GTI
      04-26-2017 04:22 PM #468
      It's gonna be an interesting conversation now that my wife has finally accepted the $63k now I'll have to explain we need to spend $1200 for detailing and Opti-Pro+ and $2.5k on all new wheels and all seasons!!! Yikes!!

This is good thing. Get her used to the idea in small amounts, a grand here and a grand there so when in a few years you're asking about dropping 10k on a big turbo kit it doesn't seem so bad. You're basically just building a tolerance, like how if you shoot yourself with small caliber bullets you'll build an immunity to the bigger ones.

19. 04-26-2017 04:42 PM #469
      I swear. Sometimes that Ara Blue looks exactly like VWs Lapiz Blue.

20. 04-26-2017 05:11 PM #470
      I swear. Sometimes that Ara Blue looks exactly like VWs Lapiz Blue.

I'm pretty sure I was mistaken and that that was Nogaro Blue, not Ara Blue.

This is Ara Blue: https://instagram.com/p/BTW52bCAMeT/

21. 04-26-2017 05:38 PM #471
      Here's a bunch of Ara/Black Optics shots:

And here's a more accurate Black Optics/Alu-Optics comparison:

22. Yesterday 10:08 PM #472

We all know the Global Spec RS3's will have dual injection, both DI and Port mounted. But at the NY Auto Show last week, the Audi reps there had conflicting data on this topic. Some said the engine will NOT be coming to our shores with the dual injection set-up (as he referenced the 2018 Golf-R EA888 version engine as another example, stating that it too will be missing the port injectors) while other Audi reps at the Audi booth said the exact opposite. This confusion is SO TYPICAL for VW! IMO, for $65K bucks, it better have the dual setup for the USA market! I thought how arrogantly stupid this move would be for VW/Audi to eliminate this feature, especially while trying to emerge from their PR disastrous Diesel-Gate fiasco! I guess they have to find the money from somewhere.... right?

Does anyone know for sure? Will the US Spec RS-3 have dual injectors or will they leave it out to save a few bucks like they are with the Golf-R? (The holes in the intake manifold for the port injectors are simply plugged, the secondary fuel rail is removed, the low pressure pump is changed, etc etc.)

Thanks
      Last edited by VWRedux/Redux; Yesterday at 10:36 PM.

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 k04 GTI
      Today 09:57 AM #473
      Quote Originally Posted by VWRedux/Redux View Post

We all know the Global Spec RS3's will have dual injection, both DI and Port mounted. But at the NY Auto Show last week, the Audi reps there had conflicting data on this topic. Some said the engine will NOT be coming to our shores with the dual injection set-up (as he referenced the 2018 Golf-R EA888 version engine as another example, stating that it too will be missing the port injectors) while other Audi reps at the Audi booth said the exact opposite. This confusion is SO TYPICAL for VW! IMO, for $65K bucks, it better have the dual setup for the USA market! I thought how arrogantly stupid this move would be for VW/Audi to eliminate this feature, especially while trying to emerge from their PR disastrous Diesel-Gate fiasco! I guess they have to find the money from somewhere.... right?

Does anyone know for sure? Will the US Spec RS-3 have dual injectors or will they leave it out to save a few bucks like they are with the Golf-R? (The holes in the intake manifold for the port injectors are simply plugged, the secondary fuel rail is removed, the low pressure pump is changed, etc etc.)

Thanks
      This is the first I've heard about no MPI in the US, but the vast majority of the info out there right now is from the test cars in Oman, which would probably be Euro spec if there was a difference. I hope we can get positive confirmation that MPI is coming, if not its seriously bad news for those of us that plan on tuning.

I really don't understand why VAG has such a consistently half-assed, bumbling approach to the US market. They always deny us option choice, refuse offer some options completely, or deny us interesting cars. It almost feels like they don't think we're sophisticated enough to handle it.

EDIT: Given that the idea behind having both MPI and GDI on a street car is so the MPI can be used at low revs to reduce particulate emissions, maybe Audi will include it in the US solely to make it look like they've changed and they care about emissions.
      Last edited by The Wiry Irishman; Today at 10:12 AM.

24. Today 12:57 PM #474
      The AoA press site is down right now for whatever reason, but the Press Release specifically mentions dual-injection, so I have to think it's in the car.

25. Today 01:03 PM #475
      The AoA press site is down right now for whatever reason, but the Press Release specifically mentions dual-injection, so I have to think it's in the car.
      Here is the cached page with the specific mention of dual-injection: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

For advertising information click HERE

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819