Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      98 2.0 Jetta, 88 16v ABA gti, 01 A4 avant
      10-11-2016 04:00 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by accRazor View Post
      GAP Oil pumps are know to fail and cause all sorts of problems, take a look at this thread. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post88037785
      Definitely won't be using that pump again. Currently am using an OEM pump with ~130k (allegedly) and will be ordering oil pressure and temperature gauges soon. I saw USRT and TT offer high flow oil pumps, anyone have experience with them or recommendations?

Vehicles
      '99 mk3 Golf Wolfsburg (Black, 5spd, 245k mi +), '89 BMW E30 325iS 5spd RACE CAR
      10-18-2016 02:37 AM #27
      DAMN!!! that stinks. your intermediate pulley wasnt loose or anything weird with it lined up? did you prime the oil pump before you started the motor? is this GAP as in German Auto Parts?? if so, call Nathan up there and tell them about it. maybe they will warranty the pump or give you a credit for other parts there. i have been there before with rod bearings gone...it sucks. we got our oil pressure and temp gauges from 42 Draft Designs. and i can definitely recommend USRT and Techtonics for everything...great tried and true performance products. hope ya get back out there! i might be workin on the new race car in the next week finally...should be ready for next season

Quote Originally Posted by balisong25 View Post
      Definitely won't be using that pump again. Currently am using an OEM pump with ~130k (allegedly) and will be ordering oil pressure and temperature gauges soon. I saw USRT and TT offer high flow oil pumps, anyone have experience with them or recommendations?
      take the road less travelled...

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-19-2016 02:45 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by The Big V View Post
      DAMN!!! that stinks. your intermediate pulley wasnt loose or anything weird with it lined up? did you prime the oil pump before you started the motor? is this GAP as in German Auto Parts?? if so, call Nathan up there and tell them about it. maybe they will warranty the pump or give you a credit for other parts there. i have been there before with rod bearings gone...it sucks. we got our oil pressure and temp gauges from 42 Draft Designs. and i can definitely recommend USRT and Techtonics for everything...great tried and true performance products. hope ya get back out there! i might be workin on the new race car in the next week finally...should be ready for next season
      Yeah, it was a pretty big bummer losing an entire track day . Luckily my spare block was all in spec and went together without complications. I have 2 events and 1 practice session on the new rebuilt motor and it seems to be holding together well. I'm planning on dropping the oil pan to see how things look and recheck rod and main bolt torques either this weekend or next. No more autox or track days this year so hopefully I put some more street miles on it before we get snow and then it will be off the road for the winter. I have a few ideas for winter projects, but not 100% what I will end up doing yet. Good luck with the E30, I'm excited to see how it turns out!

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-03-2017 09:42 PM #29
      Haven't touched the car since putting it away for the winter. Plans are to install oil pressure and temperature gauges, mount my new stickier tires, and put some king xp rod bearings in. Reliability is the goal for this season and maybe add power next winter.
      I've been getting pretty excited about this upcoming season and found some pics I haven't uploaded. Enjoy some cone killing and three wheeling.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-21-2017 11:34 AM #30
      Small update. The car still starts and runs . I mounted new tires and installed oil temp and pressure gauges. Planning on putting some miles on it this weekend to find any bugs. Very excited for this season!

Vehicles
      '92 GTI 1.8T
      04-21-2017 12:57 PM #31
      Fantastic project! You're giving me inspiration to finish mine!

My goal is similar...weekend track/fun car. Might get it cranked over if today goes well.
      Quote Originally Posted by SGLoki View Post
      I believe rupaul is the tallest trans.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-02-2017 12:53 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by URIN 2ND View Post
      Fantastic project! You're giving me inspiration to finish mine!

My goal is similar...weekend track/fun car. Might get it cranked over if today goes well.
      Thanks! Hope you were able to make some smoke.

The first two autox events were last weekend. Saturday was a little cold, Sunday was cold and rainy. Even without being able to get any heat in the tires they are a vast improvement from last year. I have more experimenting to find out what pressures they like and how to use all this extra grip I'm not used to. I ended up 3rd Saturday and 4th Sunday in novice, which was good enough to get me kicked out so I will be bringing up the rear in SMF for the rest of the season.

Overall a very fun weekend other than the weather. Other than starting a little hard the car felt great. Can't wait to get out there again, it's going to be a very long month before the next event.

Last edited by balisong25; 05-02-2017 at 08:08 PM.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-31-2017 11:41 AM #33
      Went to put spark plugs in the other weekend and found two of my spark plug boots were oily so put a new valve cover gasket in. I also had a slight exhaust leak so I decided to take out the perfectly good oem header and downpipe and try to force this ebay header I had laying around to fit. I cut off the flanges for the silly spring bolt connection and welded it there and added a flex pipe after the header.

Lots of prying, hammering, and welding later it fit in the car.

I ordered the wrong downpipe gasket so I had to reuse the old one. Ended up with a slightly worse exhaust leak than I started with... I can't tell if it's any louder with the new header, it was parked for a couple weeks before, but the rasp starts a little lower in the rev range now (might just be the exhaust leaks). I'll put a new gasket in Friday and try to get everything to fit a little nicer. Then autox Sunday!
      Last edited by balisong25; 06-05-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Vehicles
      '99 mk3 Golf Wolfsburg (Black, 5spd, 245k mi +), '89 BMW E30 325iS 5spd RACE CAR
      06-03-2017 01:10 AM #34
      hahaha love it! i seem to have a little exhaust leak somewhere as well...gonna put it on lift and hope to see where its coming from. headers are awesome. throw a wide band gauge in there! i am hoping i actually do my custom intake mani this year. needs some test fitting. i just ran full oil change with 20w50 (synth blend) and the engine seems quite happy with the revving and more enduro (been driving few hrs on longer trips) but i dont have oil pressure gauge sooo not sure. you make the work seem so easy! oh i just swapped the block out oh i hammered at the headers and they're good. haha...its inspiring! keep the rubber side down man!
      take the road less travelled...

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06-05-2017 12:50 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by The Big V View Post
      hahaha love it! i seem to have a little exhaust leak somewhere as well...gonna put it on lift and hope to see where its coming from. headers are awesome. throw a wide band gauge in there! i am hoping i actually do my custom intake mani this year. needs some test fitting. i just ran full oil change with 20w50 (synth blend) and the engine seems quite happy with the revving and more enduro (been driving few hrs on longer trips) but i dont have oil pressure gauge sooo not sure. you make the work seem so easy! oh i just swapped the block out oh i hammered at the headers and they're good. haha...its inspiring! keep the rubber side down man!
      Thanks! I actually have a wideband, just need to wire it up and figure out where to mount the gauge. Interested to see how your intake turns out!

Autox yesterday went pretty well. Dropped some decent time in the morning, but couldn't find any time in the afternoon. Tires looked like I got them a little too hot after in the afternoon, I was definitely pushing trying to find some time and this was the first real heat cycle on these tires. I might try a little less pressure and maybe spraying during afternoon runs next event. I think a little more spring up front probably wouldn't hurt either.

Also, parts!

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06-12-2017 12:31 PM #36
      Quick update. Cams are in, but it feels like a dog. I think I'm a tooth off on my timing. Luckily, it's an easy engine to time but a little frustrating when I have no crank timing markings... I found some broken wiring to the IAT sensor and fixing that seems to have helped my hard starting. Did an alignment, put the all season tires on for the drive up to the track, heat wrapped the header. After I had everything back together I noticed some oil drips hanging off of the head gasket so the valve cover came back off and I retorqued the head studs and to double check cam timing (looked good). Not super optimistic that will have fixed it, but maybe... A little frustrated with having to redo things, probably my fault for trying to do a million things the weekend before the track.

Planning on re-checking timing, redoing exhaust midpipe to stop all these leaks, and a final check over the bolts, etc. Probably should wash and vacuum it out too. I'm hoping I can fit a set of wheels in with the rest of my stuff, might have to take out the back seats.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06-15-2017 11:08 AM #37
      Timing was a tooth off, fixed that and it feels waaaay better. Fixed almost all of my exhaust leaks. Oil leak at least slowed down after re torquing the head, hopefully fixed (enough to live with anyway). Just need to wash, vacuum, and load it up tonight then head up to the track tomorrow. Excited for my first track weekend on real tires

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06-20-2017 01:16 PM #38
      The car survived nine 20 minute session and the drive back home. It started pouring during the last few laps on Saturday, which was pretty fun to slide around in, but good weather otherwise. The car felt pretty good, other than being held back by the driver. I'm pretty sure I cooked the rear wheel bearings, so I'll take a look at those this weekend. I am itching for some more power, though... Turbo seems to make the most sense with the low compression of the hybrid motor, but 11:1 pistons and itbs sounds very tempting. Either way, no major changes this summer. Put it on the scale while I was up there. 2230 lb with no driver, no rear seats, and half a tank of gas. Not quick as slim as I was hoping, but not terrible I suppose...

Didn't remember to take any pics, except one of the storm rolling in. Overall, a very fun and successful weekend!

Last edited by balisong25; 06-20-2017 at 01:22 PM.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 8v GTI (current project), '04 Passat wagon dd, 95 Eurovan, '07 Rabbit, 92 Golf, 91 Golf,
      06-22-2017 01:35 AM #39
      That's a pretty decent run for your car, 9 sessions of that length will show up most issues I would imagine. If all you did was kill some wheel bearings that might have been due anyways it's pretty awesome. I'm glad to see a purpose car here too, lots of style cars, and many daily love cars but not as many racers.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12