Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 A4, 2005.5 A4
      09-08-2016 02:18 PM #26
      I just wanted to jump in because this thread was making my head hurt. From what I've read, it appears Timmayy is defending Apple's decision and that the removal is a step forward.

Ok, I get removing DAC can contribute to better sound quality, but if you think Apple cares about sound quality; help me understand why they provide you with the biggest POS headphones with their products. I'm sure the lightning headphones will not provide any better quality than previous models with 3.5mm headphone jack. Too soon to tell on the Airbuds or whatever they're called, but I can take a wild guess at how the quality will be.

I'm also seeing a lot of people comparing this move to killing off floppies - which is ridiculous on many levels. The successor to floppy disks was already present and reliable. Floppies were expensive and inefficient. What Apple is doing is killing off a current and ubiquitous technology in favor of a more expensive, complicated, less-efficient and less-reliable technology. In the case of the 3.5mm headphone jack, they have not replaced it at all, they just took it away. It was neither aging, in process of aging, nor hurting at all. This is all done to upsell some **** quality BT branded headphones. They're right, this does take courage.

I've already decided not to "upgrade" the iPhone 7, instead will get a 6S with more storage space. I just had to rant in response to this rant.
      :PodiTeam Member:
      Current - 2005.5 A4 Work in progress
      RIP 2000 A4 - |GIAC Software|JHM Short Shifter|JHM Weighted Knob|ITG Dry Air Filter|Podi Boost Gauge|Forge 007 DV|RS4 Grill|Techtonics HFC|Neuspeed Exhaust|17" BBS RC's|H&R Coilovers|BW k04-015|CxRacing FMIC|USRT FPR|APR TIP

2. 09-08-2016 03:18 PM #27
      This couldn't have been more controversial if Roger Ailes and Matt Lauer did the event.

3. 09-08-2016 04:06 PM #28
      Typing on my 6s+ that will not be leaving for a 7 any time.
      Totally agree that if Apple cared about sound quality why put the embarrassment of a headphone in their packaging?
      Too many devices to charge already and A2DP Bluetooth quality is barely acceptable to stream from phone to car, when it's in ear headphones the quality is noticeably lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '15 RSM e-Golf SEL | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL
      09-08-2016 04:28 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Alex jb View Post
      Typing on my 6s+ that will not be leaving for a 7 any time.
      Totally agree that if Apple cared about sound quality why put the embarrassment of a headphone in their packaging?
      Too many devices to charge already and A2DP Bluetooth quality is barely acceptable to stream from phone to car, when it's in ear headphones the quality is noticeably lacking.

they're free headphones.... if they put in something better it would cut into their Beats business.

5. Banned
      09-08-2016 07:02 PM #30
      The provided adapter is the DAC! You guys do know that dacs can be micro, right? That is what I tried implying when suggesting that the cable on the adapter seems to be optical. You do realize the new AirPods have a radio, dac, antenna, batt, microphone, and an accelerometer on each end, right? And why do you insist telling on every post how a digital signal works. My god the miscommunication we have going on here Mr.Blue.. And Yes! A digital signal is considered Hi-Fi! Why do you insist on making me shout?!

This is why we cant have nice things

For the final time-- Apple removing the 3.5mm jack has cleaned up the signal path from source to output. It's one less time you've reconfigured the signal from digital to analog. For years consumers who wanted better sound from their apple product have tried to bypass the stock DAC. With the removal of the 3.5mm jack, you are getting just that.

Im sure there is a mini dac for the on-board speaker. But with the lightening connector, the options are limitless. Your carry on external dac/amp, or the built-in-dac in your brand new $400 lightening connector equipped headphones will fair better for sound quality.

Please tell me you guys can see the advantage of this? Apple is very serious about using the real estate in their phones wisely. An old tech like the 3.5mm jack did not make the cut. And pretty soon the usb-c connector will be implemented on all portable products, whether you like it or not.
      Last edited by Timmayy; 09-08-2016 at 07:17 PM.

6. Banned
      09-08-2016 07:20 PM #31
      Anyways. Im tried of talking and would rather sit hear and listen to the song of Long Gone Jack

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      09-08-2016 08:02 PM #32
      This is a legit improvement...

4. Protection against water and dust

For the first time ever, the new iPhones are IP67 water- and dust-resistant.

http://i.amz.mshcdn.com/4UJ7eTtVr8I1...b0901c9804.png
      IMAGE: APPLE

That's good enough to be submerged in up to 3.2 feet of water for up to 30 minutes, according to Ingress Protection, the organization that "classifies and rates the degree of protection provided against intrusion" for products.

8. Banned
      09-08-2016 09:52 PM #33

09-09-2016 12:17 AM #34
      Looks like you're not SOL if you wanna use a wired headphone and charge your iphone 7. But it's gonna cost ya:

http://gizmodo.com/the-best-way-to-c...ead-1786401737

So if you wanna do both, then you have to use a dongle on a dongle. OK, that sounds like a sex act

BTW, is there going to be a iphone 7S? Or is Apple going to do a complete re-fresh instead for the 10th anniversary iphone?

10. Banned
      09-09-2016 03:06 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      Looks like you're not SOL if you wanna use a wired headphone and charge your iphone 7. But it's gonna cost ya:

http://gizmodo.com/the-best-way-to-c...ead-1786401737

So if you wanna do both, then you have to use a dongle on a dongle. OK, that sounds like a sex act

BTW, is there going to be a iphone 7S? Or is Apple going to do a complete re-fresh instead for the 10th anniversary iphone?

Yeah, id buy stocks in that. With the plus variant a full days batt is promising so you can do away with that dongle.

On that note- As I stay up late (3am eastern) to preorder a single 7plus for myself (which id sell back on ebay if the lgV20 is a worthy keep when priced and released), I've been watching some vids on the lg product. In one video, the leading project engineer for the V20 was interviewed to detail the product. He mentioned numerous factors of the 4 dac integration and advanced mics which can record lossless content; winding down to the fact you'd be better utilizing the on-board mic vs. an external unit via 3.5mm jack. When asked why, and I quote "that is the weakest link".

11. 09-09-2016 09:35 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Timmayy View Post
      When asked why, and I quote "that is the weakest link".
      You heard, but didn't understand. A mic with 1/8" jack is the weakest link because you can't phantom power or amp it in a phone well enough. That "weak link" is no problem in most cameras because they have the space and power to actually use it. If they need any better, they go to XLR. They don't say "We didn't put a 1/8" jack in this camera because that's the weakest link, you are better off with the on board camera mikes" because they know that they would be laughed out of the room in that application.

Well, guess what, that doesn't apply the same way to headphones (unless you go into impedance, and Apple isn't solving that problem and you should know it).
      Last edited by WhatBlueVW; 09-09-2016 at 10:10 AM.

12. 09-09-2016 10:09 AM #37
      The provided adapter is the DAC! You guys do know that dacs can be micro, right?
      You just figured this out? Go back and read why I said repeatedly that this is not that great.

That is what I tried implying when suggesting that the cable on the adapter seems to be optical. You do realize the new AirPods have a radio, dac, antenna, batt, microphone, and an accelerometer on each end, right? And why do you insist telling on every post how a digital signal works. My god the miscommunication we have going on here Mr.Blue.. And Yes! A digital signal is considered Hi-Fi! Why do you insist on making me shout?!
      A digital signal can be high bitrate, which can be hand waved to mean HiFi... Honestly, maybe English isn't your first language and that's why we are having this miscommunication, but you sound like you know some marketing terms but not really what they mean. You do understand that to have an optical signal to electrical system, you need a signal converter upstream and downstream, right? Because I don't think you do actually.

For the final time-- Apple removing the 3.5mm jack has cleaned up the signal path from source to output. It's one less time you've reconfigured the signal from digital to analog. For years consumers who wanted better sound from their apple product have tried to bypass the stock DAC. With the removal of the 3.5mm jack, you are getting just that.
      Ummm... No. That's not how it works. Second sentence is completely wrong. Third sentence has hope. Fourth sentence is laughable (it's that clueless). To get what you want in sentence 3, you just plug a DAC (one that is a whole lot better than something that can be enclosed in a cable housing) into the lightning or USB port.

Something like this:

Oh, but what if it's powered by the lightening port itself? Then you get something like this:

http://www.fiio.net/uploads/ckeditor...-EN_01-842.jpg

Note how quality DACs need a little bit more than a cable housing. And this is just because phones don't always have a good quality DAC. That's why both of these devices don't use the onboard DAC at all. So there you go, it doesn't matter if there is a 1/8 jack or not, that's the answer to sentence 4. Now the question comes to would t be better to have these external DACs or the same DACs put on the mainboard or in the IC? The answer is that it would be better to have them inside rather than outside.

Im sure there is a mini dac for the on-board speaker. But with the lightening connector, the options are limitless. Your carry on external dac/amp, or the built-in-dac in your brand new $400 lightening connector equipped headphones will fair better for sound quality.

Please tell me you guys can see the advantage of this? Apple is very serious about using the real estate in their phones wisely. An old tech like the 3.5mm jack did not make the cut. And pretty soon the usb-c connector will be implemented on all portable products, whether you like it or not.
      3.5 jack is old tech like a guitar or a frying pan. It's been around for a long time, but it's still the best at what it does. Next thing Apple is going to say is "look guys! electrodynamic speakers have been around since the days of Edison! why don't we get rid of such an old technology?!? Let's just get rid of speakers fro the phone to make our phones thinner and more elegant and move the functionality to the amazing new iSpeaky dongle you can plug into your lightning port!"

13. Banned
      09-09-2016 10:15 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by WhatBlueVW View Post
      You heard, but didn't understand. A mic with 1/8" jack is the weakest link because you can't phantom power or amp it in a phone well enough. That "weak link" is no problem in most cameras because they have the space and power to actually use it. If they need any better, they go to XLR. They don't say "We didn't put a 1/8" jack in this camera because that's the weakest link, you are better off with the on board cameras" because they know that they would be laughed out of the room in that application.

Well, guess what, that doesn't apply the same way to headphones (unless you go into impedance, and Apple isn't solving that problem and you should know it).
      I think you should go do your research on this lg phone. It is unlike anything I've ever seen, with a big emphasis on content creation. And Apple is adressing other whether they realize it or not: Such as the interference which occurs when you have digital and analog components placed in close proximity.

Ill let you know how it sounds when I get my unit. I've had my ears cleaned and tested for audio range a few times. Surprisingly, I've not damaged my hearing at the rate I thought I had, and I can define well into the spectrum.

Vehicles
      13 Elantra
      09-09-2016 10:20 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by DasCC View Post
      they're free headphones.... if they put in something better it would cut into their Beats business.
      My Beats wireless headphones work just fine. I won't have a problem upgrading when my 6 eventually fails or breaks.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

15. 09-09-2016 11:46 AM #40
      all this hoopla for 96kb Spotify streams...

16. Banned
      09-09-2016 12:12 PM #41
      Ordered the reflect aware jbl's. Just goes with the matte so well. Got tired of white headphones.

17. 09-09-2016 02:05 PM #42
      I think you should go do your research on this lg phone. It is unlike anything I've ever seen, with a big emphasis on content creation. And Apple is adressing other whether they realize it or not: Such as the interference which occurs when you have digital and analog components placed in close proximity.

Ill let you know how it sounds when I get my unit. I've had my ears cleaned and tested for audio range a few times. Surprisingly, I've not damaged my hearing at the rate I thought I had, and I can define well into the spectrum.
      I am thinking about trading in my Note 7 for the LG since it's so convenient now with the battery disaster. It looks like a phone where the company actually listened to the consumers. The 6S stays put, I hope Apple rediscovers the joy of analog audio connectors by the time that needs to be replaced.

I can hear in the ultra high frequencies. One of the reasons I don't like noise cancelling headphones. Maybe I'm picky about sound because of that. The base earbuds any of the companies give out are very fatiguing to me. Unlubricated bearing are downright painful to me.

btw I also can't stand streaming and have about 20GB of 24 bit FLAC and 10 GB of VB or 320 bit MP3 I lug around. Every time I go from the radio to my collection it's like getting out of work and going to the park.
      Last edited by WhatBlueVW; 09-09-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      09-09-2016 02:14 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubjb View Post
      All I listen to is podcasts, so sound quality is not an issue. For me it's about the connectivity structures i already have in place, none of which is BT capable.

I'll live.

19. 09-09-2016 02:59 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubjb View Post
      Ha! That's true!
      Me, I don't have a limitless data contract and I listen to music where there is no cell service, so all me me is on the phone and not compressed.

20. Banned
      09-09-2016 03:41 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by WhatBlueVW View Post
      I am thinking about trading in my Note 7 for the LG since it's so convenient now with the battery disaster. It looks like a phone where the company actually listened to the consumers. The 6S stays put, I hope Apple rediscovers the joy of analog audio connectors by the time that needs to be replaced.

I can hear in the ultra high frequencies. One of the reasons I don't like noise cancelling headphones. Maybe I'm picky about sound because of that. The base earbuds any of the companies give out are very fatiguing to me. Unlubricated bearing are downright painful to me.
      Well, I wish i had the gif generator on the note 7 so i can clip the ending of The Aviator where Leonardo kept repeating " Its the way of the future".

Im not partial to noise cancellation either and prefer ambient noise as part of an open stage of what I listen to. I like it when volume does the work of noise cancellation. But im also the type who hates carrying around clunk no matter how strong the hobbyist in me. I tell myself to find a decent pair of open cans but at what cost does it become too much, you know? I listen to a lot of older songs and sufficing to poor YouTube quality uploads. I look at my previous smartphones and they do not make me want to spend over $130 for headphones. But now with the release of the v20 and axon7, it gets me eager once more. With Apple im just being open-minded cause I like to try new things and give them a chance. LG has yet to announce the release and judging by their track record, it will mid nov-dec for holiday season. I also predict pricing will be $750-90.

Anyway. That's why new implementations of sound integration within portable devices such as smartphones intrigue me. The LG V20 is were its at and im fine with the 3.5 mm head jack on it. But make no mistake: I've already counted 5 new smartphones that have ditched the Jack.

My last headphones before the JBL earphones was the Photive PH-BTH3. Because crappy smartphone sound processing demands-like products. However I highly recommend them. High tones could be a bit more clear but man, what a great deal

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      09-09-2016 03:57 PM #46
      Well, I wish i had the gif generator on the note 7 so i can clip the ending of The Aviator where Leonardo kept repeating " Its the way of the future".

22. 09-09-2016 04:58 PM #47
      My last headphones before the JBL earphones was the Photive PH-BTH3. Because crappy smartphone sound processing demands-like products. However I highly recommend them. High tones could be a bit more clear but man, what a great deal
      I'm no audiophile, I don't think all my headphones together crack $1000... What I have is a Sennheiser 600 and 497, a custom dual balanced driver iem, and a myriad of semi low end stuff like Mee M6 pro, M16p, A161p, M6 along with a few cheap Monoprice cans, Head Direct RE1, Zero's Carbo-Tenore ZH-DX200-CT, and a few others I'm forgetting.

I have a few bluetooth ones too, but I don't like any of them. My house set up is fairly cheap too, an old Denon and an old Pioneer (not Panasonic), one piped through the house built ins, and the other Klipsch reference home theater speakers.
      Last edited by WhatBlueVW; 09-09-2016 at 06:42 PM.

23. Banned
      09-09-2016 07:12 PM #48
      I don't understand how people aren't making noise about Mario Run on the new 7. I was blown away by it and it made me not question my purchase. If they add Mario cart into the mix, ill keep the 7plus as a secondary ol' trustee.

Btw, my current phone has a processor that cannot handle win10, so auto correct and simple typing becomes quite the exercise, sometimes scrolling up and down with the scroller restarting mid-sentence on another paragraph. Pardon the mistakes.
      Last edited by Timmayy; 09-09-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      09-10-2016 03:20 PM #49
      My conversation with my stepson:

SS: i'm gonna pre order the new iphone
      me: Why?
      SS: Mine is paid off.
      me: -_- ...why?
      SS: I can sell my 6S to pay for it.
      me: your bill will drop about $30 a month, you can put that towards school, hanging out with friends, girlfriend, car ****, etc.
      SS: the apple upgrade option is only $40 a month, i think i'll do that
      me:
      signatures are annoying, right?

25. Banned
      09-11-2016 11:12 AM #50

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast