KilometerMagazine.com - Removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack on iphone 7
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    1. Banned
      09-12-2016 01:10 AM #51

You know what i just realized: All mac products use usb-c except their phones and few other portables. Not a huge mac guy but how were you transfering your media content? Adapters? Then there's nothing to cry about here.
      Last edited by Timmayy; 09-12-2016 at 01:13 AM.

Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2007 Mini Cooper S
      09-12-2016 08:32 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Timmayy View Post

You know what i just realized: All mac products use usb-c except their phones and few other portables. Not a huge mac guy but how were you transfering your media content? Adapters? Then there's nothing to cry about here.
      Only one Mac currently has USB-C and that's the plain MacBook (not the Pro or Air).

Vehicles
      2007 Acura TSX / 2013 Toyota Yaris LE
      09-12-2016 11:13 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      Only one Mac currently has USB-C and that's the plain MacBook (not the Pro or Air).

You know what else is #1? The number of said USB-C ports on that Macbook..... cuz ya'know god forbid you ever wanna plug something else while your charging it.

Like I told my last wife, I says, Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes.

4. Banned
      09-12-2016 01:51 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by KeiCar View Post
      You know what else is #1? The number of said USB-C ports on that Macbook..... cuz ya'know god forbid you ever wanna plug something else while your charging it.

This implimentation of a single connector only effects Apple. If you look at other phones that have ditched the jack, the are all boasting high capacity charging, and some that are taking advantage of the usb-c's 3.0 quick charge capability (0-100 in 90 min or less).

The first reaction when i heard the moto Z had no headjack was, how one would listen to media content while charging. The moto z has a 4000mah batt. The lightening-only connector is a non issue with the plus model cause that phone is a batt champ.

Edit: Forgot to mention- I was up till 3am Est to order up the jet black since it would be in a case anyways (and bring in more when I replace it with the v20) but the ****ing hipsters got to them first with their Starbucks internet
      Last edited by Timmayy; 09-12-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      09-12-2016 11:24 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by KeiCar View Post
      You know what else is #1? The number of said USB-C ports on that Macbook..... cuz ya'know god forbid you ever wanna plug something else [B]while your charging it.
      They let me spec technician laptops for work. Six USB ports, baby. Two of which are 3.0 ports.

OT: I'm waiting for phones to get bigger again. I would rather have a bigger battery, more memory, and more oomph than I would an ever smaller phone. My Note 4 is just about the perfect size in its case.

Yes, I have big hands. Suck it up.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      2017 GTI Sport
      09-17-2016 08:50 AM #56
      Not sure if it was placebo effect or not; but plugging my 7+ into the 3.5mm cable sounded a lot cleaner at higher volume than my 6s in my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      VW owners, the only people that pay $1500 for OEM rims.

09-19-2016 09:47 AM #57
      In a few months or so after everyone has their new shiny phones, no one will care about this. Complaining about is just a waste of energy, don't care for what apple is doing? Well we do have other choices to choose from, but you better hurry though if you want a new phone with 3.5mm....

8. Banned
      09-19-2016 11:49 PM #58
      Update on my 3 day usage of the 7+ and the lightning port. I gave it a listen vs. my sisters S6+, if you're using the provided 3.5mm adapter, there is 0 difference in the audio playback. I can't tell it apart. With the JBL headphones in getting more separation in mid-range instrumentals which is quite nice. But I can't give any of that credit to the straight lightening feed. Here's why- the 7 is using a 16 bit DAC

Also, I'm returning my unit because of a weird noise from the Chip? I can't tell. But good friends with the manager at t-mobile, she'll try exchanging it when another is available (without going through assurion) or trade for the LG V20 or Note 7 on Oct 27.

Every iphone that ever came out has had some type of issue. Ill never buy one again. IPhones Suck!

Cameras amazing tho

09-21-2016 10:46 AM #59
      Update on my 3 day usage of the 7+ and the lightning port. I gave it a listen vs. my sisters S6+, if you're using the provided 3.5mm adapter, there is 0 difference in the audio playback. I can't tell it apart. With the JBL headphones in getting more separation in mid-range instrumentals which is quite nice. But I can't give any of that credit to the straight lightening feed. Here's why- the 7 is using a 16 bit DAC

Also, I'm returning my unit because of a weird noise from the Chip? I can't tell. But good friends with the manager at t-mobile, she'll try exchanging it when another is available (without going through assurion) or trade for the LG V20 or Note 7 on Oct 27.

Every iphone that ever came out has had some type of issue. Ill never buy one again. IPhones Suck!

Cameras amazing tho
      First runs are always like this its always good to wait a bit if you can. Funny you say iphone suck because of the buzzing chip, yet you list the exploding Note 7 as a possible replacement.

10. Banned
      09-21-2016 12:21 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      First runs are always like this its always good to wait a bit if you can. Funny you say iphone suck because of the buzzing chip, yet you list the exploding Note 7 as a possible replacement.
      Bruv, I'm wholeheartedly disappointed in all the things smartphone related this year. Believe me, I am one to wait for a few batches to pass before I make a purchase. But my current situation has been bonkers. I've placed the 7+ away since it has to be spotless for the exchange. My current device goes hay-wire when I type. Makes odd decision when it auto-corrects; worst offender of any phone I've ever owned. The scroll point automatically shifts spots. Sometimes starting me off in the middle of a pre-written sentence. Jumping cursors are insanely annoying.

Back to the current line-up offered. I purchased a s7e from a local att store and at first sight i was in tech heaven. Then slowly as the days passed and I started to grip the phone with more authority than babying it. I began to run into some problems. Up till that point I had completely forgiven the phone for its poor exterior speaker as it did every other task superbly. The edge's started to show its true colors. I've texted and called people just by holding the phone as I did any other device. YouTube experience was the worst. While playing a certain video, my palm would interact with other vid suggestions, implying that palm rejection was a hoax fix in their new and URGENT update they put out. I got rid of the phone.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the att employees exploited the buy-one-get-one-free deal and there were two numbers showing up on my bill. I don't see those employees there anymore, including the manager.

Then I saw the Note7 series and its symmetrical edges but that was a bust. Let me now mention that at this point I just wanted a new device regardless of samsungs poor ram management issues, which they have no excuses for, this deep in the game.

Not only did the 7 plus start making a winding noise, the camera stability had some issues with my unit. As if there was no ios. I'm sure this could be fixed with an update and hopefully it does. At this point whichever unit I i get my hands first will be it. Replacement Note7 and lgV20 drops Oct 27.

Now back to the topic of the Iphone7 3.5mm jack delete controversy. Just like the other members on here, i caught a lot of flac for my opinions against a well respected a/v/audiophile on YouTube. He has his own channel and over a mill in followers. I know his track record- he has even done projects on Hollywood blockbusters as the go-to sound guy. And i do respect him as teacher, but in this case he was wrong.

And now he finally threw out another vid apologizing and admitting that he was wrong on the iphone7/dac and how everything works. He has pretty much stopped replying to me even though i was trying to help him. I don't like to "be right", you know? I just want everyone to learn from each other. But this topic is clearly not healthy for me because I take my music very seriously and i end up stabbing the keyboard on my smart phone while making obscene disgruntled noises.

11. Banned
      09-22-2016 08:57 AM #61
      Got a text this morning from the tmobile manager saying i can bring the 7+ and pickup a note 7. But wait- i just managed to get my hands on a focusrite 2i2 and was waiting for my friend with lg dac and want to do some sine sweeps with an analyzer software. I want to dump some 24bit files and figure out the differences in floor noise and overall distortion characteristics. Also want to see the differences with and without headphone playback, pushing the amps and if the up-sampling is true a 32bit end result- im wondering if that lg v20 is worth it or more of a marketing gimmick.

But first I gotta go to work

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      09-22-2016 09:12 AM #62
      Got a text this morning from the tmobile manager saying i can bring the 7+ and pickup a note 7. But wait- i just managed to get my hands on a focusrite 2i2 and was waiting for my friend with lg dac and want to do some sine sweeps with an analyzer software. I want to dump some 24bit files and figure out the differences in floor noise and overall distortion characteristics. Also want to see the differences with and without headphone playback, pushing the amps and if the up-sampling is true a 32bit end result- im wondering if that lg v20 is worth it or more of a marketing gimmick.

13. 09-22-2016 10:28 AM #63

Huh... I might be interested in that...

14. Banned
      09-23-2016 01:04 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post

I was typing in a hurry. Basically trying to simulate if these 32bit dacs will actually play music at a high bit rate. And manufacturers claim specifications without actually pushing a pair of headphones/speakers. When you do that, as in strain the amp/dac, results vary. I'll be using three diff types of headphones to translate the response.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatBlueVW View Post
      Huh... I might be interested in that...
      Waiting for email with dac specs for the iphone7+ (since I still have it,why not), lgv20 has four of them, and B&O dac for lg (this unit can actually be used on any smartphone. Very nice) to make sure the test will be a valid comparison, and if it's worth waiting for the lgv20. If I know anything about how these smartphone companies and how they cut corners, the external B&O dac should be the same as the one used on the V20 for 3.5mm jack output.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      09-25-2016 10:34 AM #65
      Just saw this on Facebook and it made me think of this thread.

http://thehardtimes.net/2016/04/03/a...just-midrange/

#satire

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      09-25-2016 11:00 AM #66
      audiophiles are the weirdest people...
      signatures are annoying, right?

17. Banned
      09-26-2016 12:00 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Just saw this on Facebook and it made me think of this thread.

http://thehardtimes.net/2016/04/03/a...just-midrange/

#satire
      Heh. That man makes no sense. Obviously it sounds muddy: There's a floor/ceiling between them

Low frequencies can travel through most materials, whereas midrange is very directional.

18. Banned
      09-26-2016 10:58 PM #68
      Finally got the time to test and play. Just want to that say I'm a bit rusty in all this as I've stopped giving a **** about how my music sounds four years ago- went into a business venture building/setup/EQ'n custom systems for your home, venue, studios, and automobile. Business was better than i expected as it traveled fast through word of mouth. However, most of my customers had demands that were musically unattainable, leading to fallacious arguments of theoretics in all things idiotic. So I am kinda like the man with the broom from the article above.

Sometimes its best to leave your hobbies as just that. I had the same experience with car/aviation mechanics and should have known better. Because even today while testing everything, it somehow felt like work. Anyways, why does all this matter? Well for one: I'm the fool that dances like nobody is watching. Number two was my music teacher Mr. Gordon. He got me musically involved. I was learning percussion at the time, and he would not get mad that my friends and I would clown around and do the wave in the back while playing the drums, chimes, etc, but when a (for example) clarinet or trombone was out of tune, he'd become furious. I was intrigued by him. I then became fixated on how instruments sound. Learning acoustical engineering became a necessity. But I digress..

I was correct in the fact that LG was is using the same DAC in all their current smartphone products and accesories- Sabre ES9028C2M. This unit is in the LGV10, V20, and the B&O LG G5 modular accessory (mated with a 9602c headphone amp)

Be advised that if you have an LG G5 USA variant, this will not work. Only international units. My friend was not aware of this fact but it worked out perfectly for him since he bought his unit from seller never-msrp on eBay. They sell unlocked international units only. I charged the battery to 100% when performing the tests.

Some specs on the B&O module- 120db dynamic range (impressive), -102 Harmonic Distortion, and through software advances can upgrade a 24bit 192khz sample into 32 bit 384khz. Realistically the results varied. I got 0.0019% overall harmonic distortion which is drastically better than the LG G5's oem 3.5mm output at 0.0078%. The dynamic range and noise floor was also bested by 10db. A -101db noise floor adds up to 18 bit data. So that upsampling done by software processing really isn't doing much.

Now I've spent quite a few hours yesterday getting all the songs and file types ready (Flac, original cd rips, dsd, and Spotify). I played these over my SR-80 reference style headphones. The sound for the most part came through uncolored. There was a greater depth in bass with a much wider range vs th G5's oem jack. Strings came out much defined. The overall snappiness and definition between pieces were there, but imo, the distinguishable differences are so minute, I don't see the need to buy the B&O dac. I will say that musical composition that envelope to a full bodied instrumental reverbed quite superbly with the B&O dac. By once again, the fact that I was playing various recordings/files though were slightly distinguishable. Bass roll offs on the G5's 3.5 jack, with and without headphones, were around 200hz. In my tests, the B&O resulted in fairy better play with my Grados Low impedance ratings.

So where does this all leave me- Testing the G5's jack vs. the B&O's (coolest thing is you can use both outputs while playing music) has given me the ease of mind that smartphone manufacturers are not quite there yet. Even though the LGV20 will incorporate the same specs as the B&O module, it's not a gain worth my attention. I would be giving up the Note7's compact bezel-less stature, waterproofing, and overall gorgeous design. Like the G5's oem output, in sure the Note7's will be just as good if not vetter with Samsung. I gotta be honest and say I went with a wireless setup on the S7edge and have no clue how it sounds.

Lets me not forget that this is a iphone7 thread and how apple will make millions when 3rd party manufacturers have to buy the licensing rights for the lightening cable. In the end its people buying the iPhone line that gave Apple the "courage" to do this. Ya'll are the reason its the number one used type of jack used by current standards. So obviously for the testing part I could not use the IPHONE7. It would require me to purchase a separate lightening cable credible enough, which does not even exist for my use with the Scarlett 2i2.... And because the built in dac (Series Logic 338S00105) adapter on the 3.5mm defeats the very purpose of this test. But trust me when I tell you- the type of sound reproduction you get without the use of 3.5mm adapter via lightening only (with the JBL Reflect Aware) is pretty darn good for the average listener.

19. Banned
      09-26-2016 11:05 PM #69
      Check this out

20. 09-27-2016 11:01 AM #70
      I was correct in the fact that LG was is using the same DAC in all their current smartphone products and accesories- Sabre ES9028C2M. This unit is in the LGV10, V20, and the B&O LG G5 modular accessory (mated with a 9602c headphone amp)
      So where does this all leave me- Testing the G5's jack vs. the B&O's (coolest thing is you can use both outputs while playing music) has given me the ease of mind that smartphone manufacturers are not quite there yet. Even though the LGV20 will incorporate the same specs as the B&O module, it's not a gain worth my attention. I would be giving up the Note7's compact bezel-less stature, waterproofing, and overall gorgeous design.
      Actually, the V20 has a ES9218 chipset. This is supposed to be leaps above the ES9028C2M chipset. The new phone is said to outperform the module by a wide margin.

21. 09-27-2016 11:04 AM #71
      Check this out

Ugh... What a puny little dac. I would be sad to find that thing in a bluetooth headphone let alone sweating it out in a stifling rubber cover in a cable housing. I wonder how sound quality is after 2 hours of play.

22. Banned
      09-27-2016 12:32 PM #72
      Actually, the V20 has a ES9218 chipset. This is supposed to be leaps above the ES9028C2M chipset. The new phone is said to outperform the module by a wide margin.
      Really?! What's your source? And you couldn't give me this info when I mentioned I's waiting for dac specsifications???

23. 09-27-2016 01:06 PM #73
      Really?! What's your source? And you couldn't give me this info when I mentioned I's waiting for dac specsifications???
      Whups! I misunderstood. I'm sorry. This was a good read nevertheless. Thanks for this. I found it very interesting.

oh, and the source:

http://www.lg.com/ae/press-release/v20-launch

[edit:]
      BTW I read in a thread in the XDA forums (don't remember which) that the Note 7 US version doesn't have a standalone DAC like the international version (which uses standalone a Wolffson DAC). It just uses the one in the 820. Sure it's better than the 16bit one in the Apple (they are at about 95 dB dynamic range, which is even worse than a Note 3!), but it's not that great comparatively.
      Last edited by WhatBlueVW; 09-27-2016 at 01:35 PM.

24. Banned
      09-27-2016 01:10 PM #74
      Ugh... What a puny little dac. I would be sad to find that thing in a bluetooth headphone let alone sweating it out in a stifling rubber cover in a cable housing. I wonder how sound quality is after 2 hours of play.
      Just read over my wall-o-text and noticed I got the model wrong on the iphone7 3.5mm dac adapter. It is a series logic, and all the numbers are correct except the last digit- it's 4. The Series logic DAC ending with 5 is what you find in the iPhone 6, 6+, and 7 for external speaker duties.

25. Banned
      09-27-2016 01:21 PM #75
      Whups! I misunderstood. I'm sorry. This was a good read nevertheless. Thanks for this. I found it very interesting.

oh, and the source:

http://www.lg.com/ae/press-release/v20-launch
      That makes me feel like my time was not a waste ..I used to be a die hard member over in the Diyma forums some time back. Kinda miss all the tech talk.

Oh, and its cool. Regardless, you know what's something new I learned from this test?

Rather than buying the dac module for the G5 which changes the phones dimensions in length and bulk, you can get as close results with its 24bit rate oem jack, just by purchasing a good pair of headphones. I think LG caught the gist of this and decided on a better dac. I'll check it out now

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast