KilometerMagazine.com - 2007 VW Passat Engine Swap - 2.5L for 2.0T
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    1. 01-09-2017 11:23 PM #1
      I recently purchased a 2007 VW Passat 2.0T Wagon ... with a blown 2.0T engine. The guy wanted $800 ... I offered $600 and he took it.

Apparently, when he purchased it, it had the dreaded HPFP problem ... cams were destroyed and the head was junk. He replaced all those parts ... but failed to check the engine oil pump. When he got it all together, the engine ran all of ... 1 minute! The NEW cams and head are now destroyed ... again!

Fast forward to today. After doing MUCH research on the 2.0T FSI engine, and all of it's problems ... I had SERIOUS doubts about even fixing it ... again. The LAST thing I wanted was a car that would require constant fixing! Then I began reading about VW's 2.5L 5-Cylinder engine ... VERY reliable (although a little less powerful).

Then I came across a local shop who buys wrecked late model VW's ... fixes them, and resells them. He just so happened to have a 2010 Jetta 2.5L 5-Cyl. engine with only 70 thousand miles ... for only $50! Why so cheap? Because he takes the intake manifolds, the vacuum pumps, and other accessories off and sells them ... at great profit. And he's left with these engines. Apparently, the intake manifolds and dip stick tubes are a hot commodity since that's one of the first things to get destroyed in a front-end collision. This particular car was read-ended ... so there was no damage to the engine.

So, I did some more research. Was it feasible? Would the 2.5L bolt to my transmission? Would it even fit in the engine bay? Turns out it's actually quite feasible. I told the guy that had the 2.5 what I was planing to do, and he also sold me the 2.5L engine wiring harness and ECU ... so, I got the engine, the ECU, and the wiring harness for $100! ... and NO High Pressure Fuel Pump to worry about!

I pulled the whole front end off the Passat (nice feature! ... the front bumper, radiator, front support, all come off with about 12 bolts!) ... I pulled the seized 2.0T out ... and began to measure.

The engine will bolt right up to the transmission ... the torque converters are the same (I'm still trying to determine if the 2.0T and 2.5 converters are the same internally) ... and the passenger's side motor mounting is the same, so the 2.5 mount will bolt right in place. The only modifications I'll have to make are the exhaust routing, and the radiator and heater hose routing.

The only other potential problem I foresee is ... the engine immobilizer. I called the local VW dealership and stated my plans ... a 2010 VW Jetta 2.5L engine into a 2007 VW Passat 2.0T Wagon ... could they program the 2010 Jetta ECU to work with the 2007 Passat key and ignition? They said they've never done it before, but they could try ... for about $60! Sounds good to me! The other possible solution, if the dealer can't program it ... is a place in Colorado called KermaTDI ... you send them your ECU, and they'll reprogram the ECU to delete the immobilizer feature ... for $155.

Anyone here ever tried this before? Any tips or potential problems that anyone might think of ... anything I might be missing ... let me know. I'll keep you posted with the progress.

Vehicles
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      01-11-2017 10:13 AM #2
      More power too you! Keep us updated!
      - Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 740GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI

3. 01-12-2017 08:55 AM #4
      First mistake ... the 2.0T engine came OUT easily without pulling the transmission. The NEW 2.5 5-cylinder will NOT go in the same way ... tried that yesterday! Today, I'm going to have to pull the transmission and install the engine and transmission as a unit.

I've got to replace the driver's side axle anyways (torn boots) ... so it won't be a total loss of time.

By the way ... not sure what I'm going to do with the old engine yet ... but I might be selling it for parts. Actually, the HPFP Fuel Pump (used) and the cam follower (new) are in excellent shape, since the engine only ran for 1 minute. I believe the turbo is in good shape too since this car only had 138,000 miles. When I'm done with the car, I'll tear into the 2.0T to see what the extent of the damage is. All I've done so far is pulled the cam cover and cams ... sure enough, the cams and cam journals in the head are damaged.

4. 01-12-2017 09:17 PM #5
      Well, I got the engine / transmission in today ... it wasn't too bad, fits perfectly, everything bolts right up. I used the 2010 Jetta 5-cyl. passenger's side engine mount, and the existing 2.0T driver's side, and lower rear transmission mounts. The bell housing and torque converter are the same as well, so they bolt right up.

The biggest pain was getting the engine and transmission mated together on the floor! ... it took me almost two hours! This is the first time I've done a newer VW, so I'm sure there are tricks and shortcuts you learn.

With VW'S bright idea of 6 studs on the torque converter, it makes it EXTREMELY difficult to get everything lined up. You've got to match the bell housing holes AND the torque converter studs SIMULTANEOUSLY! As opposed to the American way of doing things ... holes on the drive plate and tapped holes in the converter ... you don't have to worry about the converter / drive plate alignment until AFTER the bell housing is bolted up.

I also disassembled the front end too. The radiator, A/C condenser core, turbo intercooler, and transmission cooler are all sandwiched together. I wanted to take the intercooler out (no use in having extra junk up there). It's not as easy as I expected ... everything was actually bolted to the intercooler, so with that gone, I'm going to have to fabricate some brackets.

The only other complaint is VW's DUMB idea of using 12-point (and 6-point) tamper-proof screws for almost EVERYTHING! The 6-point are fairly common, and I've got bits for those .... but I couldn't find 12-point bits ANYWHERE in my area! I finally ordered them from a tool supply place on-line ... but I'll have to wait for them.

There is absolutely NO plausible reason why VW is using these stupid things ... except ... they don't want YOU working on your own car! I mean who's going to steal your front pulley? OK, my rant is over.

Ah I can remember the days when a VW engine was held in with 4 bolts!

Tomorrow I'll probably switch out the engine wiring harness and ECU.

5. 01-12-2017 09:54 PM #6
      Awesome, Keep it up!

Sent from my ASUS_X008DC using Tapatalk

6. 01-16-2017 07:51 PM #7
      I've been waiting for parts, so haven't had much to update.

Since my last update I've:

- reinstalled the axles (the drivers side needed replaced anyways - torn boots)
      - Found an intake manifold at the local Pull-a-Part and installed ... only $45! They're $170 to $275 on eBay!
      - Installed the throttle body (also from Pull-a-Part from a 2008 2.5L Rabbit)
      - Found a 2005 2.5 Jetta radiator at Pull-a-Part (I know, I live there!) and it has the mounts ... it bolts right in!
      - I've got the heater hoses, vacuum lines, fuel lines, and radiator hoses figured out and installed.
      - Fixed one flat tire (good tread), replaced 3 other bald tires, had them all balanced, purchased one OEM hub cap from eBay (I was missing one).
      - Started to install the 2010 Jetta 2.5 wiring harness ... ran into some snags ...

Apparently, according to the guy I bought the 2.5L 5-Cyl. engine from ... some 2.5's have air pumps ... and some do not. The problem is, the 2010 wiring harness I've got doesn't have a connector for the air pump ... although since the wires look pretty big (10ga. or 12ga.) the pump may be wired directly to the fuse box and operated by a relay ... I'm just guessing.

I just purchased a Chilton's from eBay ... primarily for the wiring diagrams.

Here's a question ... has anyone ever eliminated the air pump? ... I assume I'd get codes if I did, but I saw a post here on VWvortex where someone said they HAD figured out how to eliminate it.

If I can figure out the wiring, and it DOES wire directly to the fuse box ... I'll probably keep it.

I hope to have it running within a week or two. Although I'm still going to have to take it to the VW dealership to reprogram the ECU / immobilizer before I can really drive it. Now if I had some wiring diagrams of the immobilizer circuit itself ... I could probably figure out a way to bypass it ... hmmm!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 TDI Jetta Wagon, 2004 Golf R32
      01-18-2017 01:59 PM #8
      Wicked swap. I was debating doing the same to the Tiguan I picked up with intermittent low oil pressure. Ended up finding a TSI on the cheap, but I was considering the 2.5 swap since it's a pretty reliable motor.

8. 01-19-2017 10:18 PM #9
      An update on my progress.

Everything is really falling into place ... there was a slight leak at the front seal, so I changed that today. Installed all the belts, the heater hoses, the injector rail is coming tomorrow and will install that. All the fuel lines, vacuum lines, hoses, and most the wiring I've either got figured out ... or installed.

But ... the snag I ran into the other day was ... as I was wiring up the new 2.5L wiring harness, I got all the way back to the new computer and ... THEY CHANGED THE PLUGS! The 2007 Passat ECU uses a BIG plug ... the 2010 2.5L ECU has small plugs. So, the 2010 Jetta wiring harness will plug into the ECU, but the Passat chassis harness will not! Bummer! Apparently, the newer VW'S have a different ECU plug .... so ... I had to do some research on the internet.

I found that the 2012 VW Passat was the first year to offer the 2.5L 5-cyl ... so I checked eBay for a 2012 VW Passat 2.5L engine wiring harness ... sure enough ... it uses the BIG plug like my 2007. So, I ordered a used 2012 VW Passat 2.5L ECU ($58), and a used 2012 VW Passat 2.5L harness ($132) ... all with the BIG plugs like my 2007. Everything should connect now, I should get them next week.

The 1 million dollar question though is ... even though my 2007 Passat chassis plug will plug into the 2012 Passat ECU ... have they changed any of the wiring? ... or is it the same? I ordered a Chiltons so I'll check the wiring diagrams before I actually connect a battery to anything.

The only other issue is .. the immobilizer. I was reading a post on either here at VWVortex or PassatWorld ... and there was a thread where a guy named "passatbuilder" who lived in Canada, said he could disable the immobilizer ... you just had to send him your ECU. But I haven't been able to locate him. The only other option is the dealer .... but I'd have to either tow or trailer the car there, since the drive is a little longer than ... 1 Minute

It's really turning into a pretty easy swap ... except for those stupid designers who like to change things like electrical plugs!

I'll keep you updated.

9. Junior Member
      01-20-2017 11:22 AM #10
      I can disable the immobilizer on the ecm for you, pretty easy
      send me the part # on the ecm

10. Member
      Vehicles
      01-20-2017 12:27 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Geoffzie View Post
      since the drive is a little longer than ... 1 Minute
      You are being very generous if you think it will run for one minute with the mismatched IMMO

My 3.6 swap ran for about 1 second before turning off. Basically started and stop immediately.

11. 01-20-2017 05:38 PM #12
      Slawson12 ... I'm supposed to get the ECU today (purchased from eBay ... it's from a 2012 Passat 2.5). Once I confirm it's the correct one ... and verify that there are no issues plugging it into the car ... I'll get back to you.

My primary concern is that from my 2007 Passat ECU, to this 2012 Passat ECU ... they may have changed the chassis wiring. I'm hoping they were wise enough to keep all the pin-outs the same!

dorkage ... hmm, I guess driving to the dealership is clearly not feasible then!

By the way ... is there any way to post pictures here on VWVortex?

Vehicles
      '15 RSM e-Golf SEL | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL
      01-20-2017 05:42 PM #13
      Slawson12 ... I'm supposed to get the ECU today (purchased from eBay ... it's from a 2012 Passat 2.5). Once I confirm it's the correct one ... and verify that there are no issues plugging it into the car ... I'll get back to you.

My primary concern is that from my 2007 Passat ECU, to this 2012 Passat ECU ... they may have changed the chassis wiring. I'm hoping they were wise enough to keep all the pin-outs the same!

dorkage ... hmm, I guess driving to the dealership is clearly not feasible then!

By the way ... is there any way to post pictures here on VWVortex?
      you'll need to upload them to a 3rd party site such as Flickr or Photobucket and imbed the links here.

13. 01-23-2017 08:50 AM #14
      Last week I received the 2012 VW Passat 2.5L ECU and installed it ... plugs into the 2007 chassis harness fine. I also installed the fuel rail, connected all the fuel and vacuum lines, and adapted the exhaust and installed it.

This week (while waiting for the 2012 engine harness) I'm going to do some preliminary wiring checks. I still haven't got my Chilton's so I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy a Haynes from Autozone for the wiring diagrams!

slawson12 - I can disable the immobilizer on the ecm for you, pretty easy
      send me the part # on the ecm
      Slawson, I'm going to go by faith here and assume the ECU wiring is going to be OK. Here's the number off the ECU itself ... I assume this is what you need? It's a Bosch Motronic ...

O7K 906 055 AN

It also has "CBTA 1102" to the right of the above number, and below the above number in smaller print, it has "07K 907 309 A BENZIN ME17.5.6 HW: H02"

If you need anything else, let me know, thanks!

14. 01-24-2017 08:32 AM #15
      I received my Chiltons yesterday (and had purchased a Haynes yesterday morning since I got tired of waiting). By the way, both the Haynes and Chiltons are for VW Jetta, Rabbit, GTI, and Golf 2006-2011 (including 2005 New Jetta). I simply couldn't find a Chiltons or Haynes that specifically covered 2007 VW Passat ... although the wiring and drive trains are almost identical.

After looking in both ... there are NO engine management wiring diagrams! ... NONE! There are charging system diagrams, and starting system diagrams ... but virtually NOTHING for the coils, spark plugs, ECU, engine sensors, or emissions sensors! Just brief mentions of "Motronic Engine Control Module" throughout!

Are those diagrams not available to them? Is VW withholding information? I've been looking at Bentley Service Manuals on eBay ... are the engine management wiring diagrams in the Bentley manuals?

I'm going to have as much money in the manuals ... as I do in the whole engine swap!

Vehicles
      '07 B6 Passat
      01-24-2017 10:44 AM #16
      I received my Chiltons yesterday (and had purchased a Haynes yesterday morning since I got tired of waiting). By the way, both the Haynes and Chiltons are for VW Jetta, Rabbit, GTI, and Golf 2006-2011 (including 2005 New Jetta). I simply couldn't find a Chiltons or Haynes that specifically covered 2007 VW Passat ... although the wiring and drive trains are almost identical.

After looking in both ... there are NO engine management wiring diagrams! ... NONE! There are charging system diagrams, and starting system diagrams ... but virtually NOTHING for the coils, spark plugs, ECU, engine sensors, or emissions sensors! Just brief mentions of "Motronic Engine Control Module" throughout!

Are those diagrams not available to them? Is VW withholding information? I've been looking at Bentley Service Manuals on eBay ... are the engine management wiring diagrams in the Bentley manuals?

I'm going to have as much money in the manuals ... as I do in the whole engine swap!
      I can send you a PDF of the Passat diagram from the Bentely
      2007 Candy White/Black Passat 2.0T Wolfsburg Edition| APR Stage 2+ | APR HPFP | Forge WINtake | S3 Intercooler | B&B 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust | Dogbone Insert | FK Silverline+ Coilovers | Front Lip Spoiler/Hi-Def Sideskirts | Votex Trunk Lip Spoiler | R-Line Fog Grilles | Clear Corners | HID Kit - low beams & fogs | RCD-510 | Podi Boost gauge | R-Line Pedals | GTI Steering Wheel |

16. 01-24-2017 12:45 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by low_passat View Post
      I can send you a PDF of the Passat diagram from the Bentely
      That would be great! You can message me here, or I'll message you my email address, if you chose to email it directly.

Thanks,

17. 01-27-2017 08:15 PM #18
      I haven't really been able to get into the wiring, because I've been sidetracked ... more about that later.

I did get the 2012 Passat ECU (installed) and the 2012 Passat 2.5L engine wiring harness. One thing about the wiring harness though, they must have moved the location of the ECU on the 2012 Passat (closer to the divers side) ... because the harness is about 27" shorter! I'm going to have to extend the wiring so the harness will reach the ECU.

I temporarily connected everything and used a 12V booster box to test the circuits. I had dash lights, waning lights (air bag, oil, alt, etc) ... and I had headlights. I even gave it a quick momentary start with the key just to see if I had power ... I heard the starter click and engage. That's about as far as I got.

I got sidetracked because, about a week ago, I decided to try and sell the HPFP from the 2.0T FSI on eBay. A guy from Brazil messaged me and offered me $85 (I had it listed for $125) ... he told me he really just needs the sensor on the top. I told him I had another HPFP that I got with the car, but it was damaged and had no plunger or spring. He said he didn't care, he just need the sensor ... he'd give me $50 for it! (He has all his parts shipped to California, so I didn't have to deal with international shipping).

So I listed the second pump on eBay for $50 and he bought it. Then he asked me how the injectors were on the 2.0T ... he'd give me $65 for them! I listed them and he bought them! I figured since I had to ship him one bad pump and the injectors ... I could sell him the good pump too for $85 ... since the shipping wasn't really going to cost me anything.

Yesterday, the local Pull-a-Part just got a 2007 VW Passat 2.0T wagon. I needed some other parts so I took a trip out there. The car ended up at the wrecking yard because obviously, the dreaded HPFP failure (the parts including the HPFP were in a box in the back seat). So, I bought the damaged pump ($9.95) ... when I got home I messaged the guy in Brazil and asked him if he wanted another damaged pump for $50 ... he bought it too!

I just shipped all his parts to him today.

So, I've made $250 off the old engine parts ... and I haven't really taken the 2.0T engine apart yet! This is an added plus with this engine swap ... I'll probably make more money selling the 2.0T engine parts ... than the whole 2.5L 5-Cyl. conversion has cost me!

Something to consider if you've got a dead 2.0T FSI and a limited budget.

Starting tomorrow and next week, I'll probably finally get into the wiring ... everything else is pretty much done.

Stay tuned!

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 VW BT Passat
      01-28-2017 02:39 AM #19
      This is a very interesting idea but if you're able to do this much the "dreaded hpfp issue" is somthing you could take care of very easily by adding it to your regular maintenance the cam follower is all that fails and it takes 30min to an hr max to replace every 15-20k miles.

If you just drop in a 2.0t with an undamaged head/hpfp/cam you'd not need to worry about all the other coding and fixes.

Again, the swap is a cool idea but seems like an awful lot of work for somthing that is easily preventable with a bit of knowledge on the 2.0t fsi issues.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Bill6211789; 01-28-2017 at 02:42 AM.
      Unitronic Stage III w/ PT5558BB Turbo Unitronic.ca, IE HPFP, 3in B&B TBE, BSH throttle pipe/27mm RSB/Endlinks , Forge 007 DV , RalcoRC/Forge SS, 42Draft Design CNC Shifter bushings, BFI stage 2 motor/tranny mounts, 034 Dogbone, KW V2 coilovers, Nuespeed 25mm FSB, Whiteline Anti-lift kit/Front control arm bushings, 18x8.5 VMR VB3s, JBL stereo, CTS Turbo 2.0t FSI Big turbo kit!

19. 01-28-2017 09:25 AM #20
      I agree Bill6211789 ... if you're mechanically inclined, and with a little knowledge on the HPFP issue ... you could eliminate the problem. The trouble is, most people are not mechanically inclined .... they just want to get in the car, turn the key, and go! (I'm building this car for re-sale ... and I don't want a call 6 months from now about how the engine failed!)

I realized going into this that an engine swap wasn't going to be easy (in the 70's I put a Chevy 283 V8 into a Sunbeam Alpine!) ... but what I was looking for was LONG term, maintenance-free reliability ... something that could NOT be said of the 2.0T FSI engines.

The other problem with the 2.0T FSI engine is ... COST ... both parts, and the engines themselves. Used 2.0T FSI engines are going for around $1000 to $2500 ... and then you're usually not guaranteed what condition the cams, follower, or HPFP are in. When I was looking for a used cylinder head for my 2.0T FSI, the cheapest one I could find (on eBay) was over $700 ... with NO cams!

I can get a good used 2.5L 5-Cyl. at my favorite local wrecking yard for about $225 with accessories. In all of my trips to the local wrecking yards, I have yet to find a single 2.0T FSI engine that DIDN'T have the HPFP problem!

And actually, the swap is fairly easy and straightforward ... the wiring is the greatest difficulty. But I hope after this conversion to have all the solutions (I hope!) to those problems ... for the NEXT guy that wants to do it.

And by the way, there's all kinds of performance parts for the VW 2.5L 5-Cyl. engine out there .... headers, intakes, computer chips, etc. ... so even the slight loss of HP isn't really an issue, in my opinion.

But, each to his own.

20. 01-30-2017 05:48 PM #21
      Well, I'm about ready to fire it up! I extended the engine wiring harness today ... one wire at a time so as not to make any mistakes. I taped it up, and I've got the harness back in and connected to the ECU ... I've got the battery box in, and the transmission cooler in and connected. I've just got to put the front end / radiator back on and fill it with coolant.

I'm going to do some more wiring checks tomorrow, before I try to turn it over. When I got the car, the guy had fuses pulled out everywhere ... so I had started to replace them ... according to the owners manual ... BIG mistake! It turns out that some of the locations where the manual says a fuse is supposed to go ... there are no metal clips to hold the fuse! In other words ... the manual isn't right for my car!

When I went to the local wrecking yard the other day, to get some parts from the 2007 VW Passat 2.0T (just like mine) ... I was the first one to touch it. I figured I would be so I took my camera, and took photos of the three fuse panels (all the fuses were still in place). I also pulled all the fuses and purchased them (a whole bag full - $3) ... and I'll use the photos and the fuses to replace mine.

Voila! Problem solved! (I hope!)

But ... I messaged Slawson12 a while ago and never heard back from him about disabling the immobilizer. Does anyone else know how to do it ... or know someone that can? KermiTDI can do it for $155 + shipping both ways, if I send them my ECU. The VW dealer said they MIGHT be able to do it, for about $60 ... but I'd have to trailer it there.

Any other ideas?

21. 02-04-2017 09:19 PM #22
      Well, slight change of plans.

Turns out my preliminary wiring tests showed that in fact they HAVE changed the pinouts on the newer computers. So, for example, my MAP sensor wires on the 2007 chassis ECU plug do NOT correspond to the MAP sensor pins on the 2012 ECU (and likewise, many of the other pinouts are in different locations.) And I simply cannot find a pinout diagram of a 2012 VW Passat 2.5L ECU anywhere! Apparently, Bentley doesn't publish a Service Manual for that year and engine Passat yet.

During my electrical testing, I had the ECU removed ... and all the electrics; the lights, radio, wipers, interior lights, turn signals, etc worked. So apparently, it's just the engine functions that are run through the ECU. I kind of figured that, but I wanted to make sure.

So, I'm going to use the 2008 Jetta 2.5L wiring harness and ECU I got with the engine. I also purchased a used 2005-2010 VW Jetta Bentley Service Manual from eBay ... so engine wiring diagrams ARE available for 2010 and earlier VW's. Low_passat here on VWVortex was kind enough to email me the PDF of the 2007 Passat engine wiring diagrams ... and from those I was able to determine the functions, the wire colors, and the pin locations of all the pins on the 2007 T94 chassis ECU plug.

Basically, what you have to do is, make a chart of all the 2007 Passat T94 existing pin locations, wire colors, and wire functions. Then make a chart of all the 2008 Jetta pin locations, wire colors, and wire functions. Then you graft the 2008 Jetta chassis plug onto the 2007 Passat chassis harness, soldering all the wires in the correct locations.

I'll have to also do the same thing with the T14 pin chassis plug located on the left front frame rail near the radiator, so all the pins correspond to the Jetta wiring. The engine harness itself is simple ... just plug it into the Jetta ECU and connect it to the Jetta engine.

I also found a company on eBay who will disable the immobilizer for $60. They've done tons of them ... you simply ship your ECU to them (you pay the shipping to them), they do it in a day, and ship it back to you (free return shipping).

Like I said before, it's taken me longer to do the wiring ... than the entire rest of the swap! I did the engine swap itself in about 3 weeks ... it looks like it will take me at least a month or more to do the wiring (if all goes according to plan). Although most of that time was just figuring things out.

When I'm all done, I'll list all the parts I used, what parts I was able to retain from the 2.0T, and I'll detail the wiring modifications I had to make. I hope to also post some pictures (somehow). I believe I have all the questions and issues solved (in my head at least).

It looks like I'll have at least another week or two before it's actually running.

22. 02-05-2017 04:59 PM #23
      Yeah buddy! We'll be following your progress. Good luck

Das auto
      07 Passat wagon 3.6

23. Member
      Vehicles
      02-05-2017 11:35 PM #24
      2012 2.5 Passat ECM Wiring Diagram.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...m9SajloSnBhWW8

2008 2.5 Jetta ECM Wiring Diagram.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...kZFbDFJaWtORkk

24. 02-07-2017 08:48 AM #25
      Thanks for the wiring diagrams dorkage! Where did you find those diagrams? ... I searched EVERYWHERE on the internet, and couldn't find anything for a 2012 !

The problem is, I can't find an ECU chassis plug from a 2012 2.5 Passat locally here. The key to all this I believe is, you need the engine harness, the ECU, and the chassis plug to all be from the same car.

I've got everything I need from a 2008 2.5 Jetta ... but of the two 2008 Jetta's I looked at in the wrecking yard (when I was looking for a chassis plug), one used an T81-pin chassis plug ... and the other car used a T94-pin chassis plug! And the 2008 Jetta wiring diagram you provided shows a T121-pin chassis plug ... which I have yet to see on a 2008 Jetta! So it seems as though VW is not consistent, even within a model year, although it may be a difference in the engine designation ... mine is a CBTA, your wiring diagram is for a CCCA engine (not sure what the difference is, European?).

I'm sure there's a method to their madness!

I'm hoping the Bentley Service Manual (I should receive Friday) will show the engine wiring for the T81- pin 2008 2.5 Jetta CBTA ... which is what I have.

Although your diagrams do show the Secondary Air Pump System ... which I hadn't seen on other diagrams. Although I would really love to just eliminate that system altogether ... WITHOUT getting a check-engine light.

The only other potential problem I see is, the 2.0T has a Fuel Pump Control Module (located on the fuel pump cover) ... but the 2.5 simply uses a Fuel Pump Relay ... so I'm going to have to figure that out too.

I'll be sending out my ECU this week to the company on eBay from Andover, MA to have the Immobilizer disabled. And I may have to pull off this job for a week or so ... I've got to replace a blown engine in a 2007 Hyundai Tiburon.

To be continued!

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast