Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
      Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-10-2017 05:53 PM #1
      The conclusion of the 2016 NASCAR season brought an onslaught of emotions. We crowned only the third seven-time Cup Series champion and witnessed history being made by a driver and team that had prior been criticized for diminishing performance following six trips to the top of the mountain. Since coming together in 2002, Jimmie Johnson and Chad Knaus find themselves in rarefied air. In the Xfinity Series, a foreign-born Daniel Suarez climbed to heights never reached by a foreigner before. And in the Trucks, a long overdue Johnny Sauter finally sealed the deal in Homestead with GMS.

But racing is about moving forward, and as we approach the start of the 2017 season, a different feel is setting in. Sprint, after taking the reigns from RJ Reynolds, oversaw thirteen seasons of sponsorship and what some would call a tumultuous era for the sport. The Chase was implemented and the Chase was tweaked. Some like it while others abhor the playoff system. Ratings and attendance have been on a steady decline for years now and the most popular form of American motorsports could surely use a shot in the arm.

In steps Monster Energy; a youthful, bold company that prefers promoting with adrenaline sports and scantily clad females over stats sprinkled with animated narwhals. It's a big change and one wonders how the atmosphere of the sport will change. Much less PC than their predecessor, Monster opens the door to the "old" NASCAR ways with a victory kiss and a fight in turn 1. Time will tell what the effects will be.

Not only did 2016 mark the exit of Sprint, but also Tony Stewart and Carl Edwards (and Jeff Gordon) have hung up the wheel in the Cup Series for the final time, with question marks looming over the futures of Greg Biffle and Casey Mears. Rookies Erik Jones (FRR, 77) and Daniel Suarez (JGR, 19) will do battle for Rookie of the Year honors and Ty Dillon goes fulltime in Cup with Germain. The average age of a Cup Series driver declines.

The tides, they are a'changing. While some careers and relationships get carried out over the horizon, you never know what will wash up on the beach. The Daytona 500 is February 26th; a day that will inaugurate a new title sponsor, appropriately under a new moon.

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2000 BMW 323I 5spd
      01-10-2017 06:41 PM #2
      Indeed they are. Let's see if what happens....

Vehicles
      01-10-2017 07:22 PM #3
      So it begins. Carl Edwards retiring WTF!!

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-10-2017 07:40 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      So it begins. Carl Edwards retiring WTF!!
      I was tipped off that a surprise retirement was going to happen this off-season but I expected it to be Kahne. And then I was told by the source that it wasn't Kahne, so I thought it'd be Hamlin or Kenseth. But I didn't think Carl would be ready yet. He left Gibbs on good terms though which is nice. Glad he got a top drive to end his career on a high note. Remember the drama when Carl bumped teammate Kyle for the win this past year at Richmond? Funny how Carl probably felt retirement coming anyway so what's the harm.

Vehicles
      01-10-2017 07:47 PM #5
      any reason why? Did not see this coming at all. He didn't sound like a person retiring when interviewed at Homestead. WTF So does this mean Suarez goes into the 19? If Gibbs knew about this, then I would think Jones would be in the 19.

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-10-2017 07:51 PM #6
      any reason why? Did not see this coming at all. He didn't sound like a person retiring when interviewed at Homestead. WTF So does this mean Suarez goes into the 19? If Gibbs knew about this, then I would think Jones would be in the 19.
      No reason other than "he just woke up one day and realized he was burnt out" from it. He has no health issues or anything like that. He's just ready to move on.

Suarez is confirmed for the 19. Jones's FRR deal was all signed before the Edwards thing unfolded. Coach Gibbs still had plenty of notice though as Carl was open with him about it. Edwards told Gibbs that unless they really needed him for one more year then he wanted to walk away now. Coach gave Carl his blessing.

Vehicles
      01-10-2017 07:54 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
      No reason other than "he just woke up one day and realized he was burnt out" from it. He has no health issues or anything like that. He's just ready to move on.

Suarez is confirmed for the 19. Jones's FRR deal was all signed before the Edwards thing unfolded. Coach Gibbs still had plenty of notice though as Carl was open with him about it. Edwards told Gibbs that unless they really needed him for one more year then he wanted to walk away now. Coach gave Carl his blessing.
      Wow!! I wish I had their problems. Anyway, that makes 4 people who retired...Stewart, Biffle?, Edwards, and Brian Scott.

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-10-2017 07:58 PM #8
      Wow!! I wish I had their problems. Anyway, that makes 4 people who retired...Stewart, Biffle?, Edwards, and Brian Scott.
      John-Wes Townley also announced his "retirement" today.

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-10-2017 07:59 PM #9
      Also, Dodge is gonna be back in the sport for 2018 if things pan out. I've been told not put the specifics out into the open yet, but Dodge is in talks with a Cup team right now. The rumblings you may have read about a potential return are true.

10. Junior Member group captain mandrake's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2009 Bullitt Mustang 1998 Land Rover Discovery
      01-10-2017 08:10 PM #10
      I'll be a little disappointed if Edwards retires. He came so close to the title a couple of times, I'd like to see him win a championship.
      Regarding Biffle, I could have sworn I read he was going to drive an Xfinnity car for Penske, but I can't find where I read that. Anyone heard this?

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-10-2017 08:15 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by group captain mandrake View Post
      I'll be a little disappointed if Edwards retires. He came so close to the title a couple of times, I'd like to see him win a championship.
      Regarding Biffle, I could have sworn I read he was going to drive an Xfinnity car for Penske, but I can't find where I read that. Anyone heard this?
      It's not "if" anymore, it's a done deal. Carl Edwards is retired.

Regarding the Biffle thing, there's been nothing but speculation up to this point but I would be very surprised if Penske hired him for anything.

Vehicles
      01-10-2017 08:30 PM #12
      In other news, Hamlin is signing an extension w/ Gibbs. I did not realize he is 36. When will he reitre

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-10-2017 10:00 PM #13
      In other news, Hamlin is signing an extension w/ Gibbs. I did not realize he is 36. When will he reitre
      I'm surprised his girlfriend is still letting him drive in the series after she caught him in the coach with those Monster girls.

Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      01-10-2017 10:58 PM #14
      I'm surprised his girlfriend is still letting him drive in the series after she caught him in the coach with those Monster girls.
      As long as he keeps bringing in the nose candy, all's fair.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Or some other government-sponsored illegal wiretapping app
      I find your answer vague and unconvincing.
      @mbull | instagram

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-10-2017 11:05 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      As long as he keeps bringing in the nose candy, all's fair.
      I've been thinking recently that we should refer to him as Snow Blower but hey what do I know.

Vehicles
      Lowered Outback, SVX, GMC Sierra
      01-10-2017 11:58 PM #16
      Daytona and Texas will be getting repaves, and isn't PIR getting ****ed up as well?

Edit: wait maybe not Daytona I don't remember.
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      01-11-2017 12:02 AM #17
      Also, Dodge is gonna be back in the sport for 2018 if things pan out. I've been told not put the specifics out into the open yet, but Dodge is in talks with a Cup team right now. The rumblings you may have read about a potential return are true.
      If this is true I'm surprised there hasn't been an announcement yet. The deadline to commit was this past summer for the 2018 season.

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-11-2017 12:05 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      Daytona and Texas will be getting repaves, and isn't PIR getting ****ed up as well?

Edit: wait maybe not Daytona I don't remember.
      Not Daytona. Texas and Atlanta.

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-11-2017 12:06 AM #19
      If this is true I'm surprised there hasn't been an announcement yet. The deadline to commit was this past summer for the 2018 season.
      Yeah but see you're living in rational people land. Adjust your perspective to live on Brian France Time and watch schedules and deadlines become a thing of the past.

Vehicles
      01-11-2017 12:08 AM #20
      Yeah but see you're living in rational people land. Adjust your perspective to live on Brian France Time and watch schedules and deadlines become a thing of the past.
      Biffle to the #69 Carl's Jr Dodge for Cousin Carl Motorsports?

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-11-2017 12:30 AM #21
      Biffle to the #69 Carl's Jr Dodge for Cousin Carl Motorsports?
      Hot dog!!!

01-11-2017 07:25 AM #22
      very impatiently waiting for the press conference this morning, the news on Carl yesterday damn near knocked me off my chair!
      the user formerly known as al@absolute
      17 F350 Platinum 6.7 CCSB | 17 Explorer Sport | 87 Buick Regal GN | 14 Mustang GT | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 16 Kawasaki Mule Pro-Fxt

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '15 Outback Limited
      01-11-2017 07:49 AM #23
      The conclusion of the 2016 NASCAR season brought an onslaught of emotions. We crowned only the third seven-time Cup Series champion and witnessed history being made by a driver and team that had prior been criticized for diminishing performance following six trips to the top of the mountain. Since coming together in 2002, Jimmie Johnson and Chad Knaus find themselves in rarefied air. In the Xfinity Series, a foreign-born Daniel Suarez climbed to heights never reached by a foreigner before. And in the Trucks, a long overdue Johnny Sauter finally sealed the deal in Homestead with GMS.

But racing is about moving forward, and as we approach the start of the 2017 season, a different feel is setting in. Sprint, after taking the reigns from RJ Reynolds, oversaw thirteen seasons of sponsorship and what some would call a tumultuous era for the sport. The Chase was implemented and the Chase was tweaked. Some like it while others abhor the playoff system. Ratings and attendance have been on a steady decline for years now and the most popular form of American motorsports could surely use a shot in the arm.

In steps Monster Energy; a youthful, bold company that prefers promoting with adrenaline sports and scantily clad females over stats sprinkled with animated narwhals. It's a big change and one wonders how the atmosphere of the sport will change. Much less PC than their predecessor, Monster opens the door to the "old" NASCAR ways with a victory kiss and a fight in turn 1. Time will tell what the effects will be.

Not only did 2016 mark the exit of Sprint, but also Tony Stewart and Carl Edwards (and Jeff Gordon) have hung up the wheel in the Cup Series for the final time, with question marks looming over the futures of Greg Biffle and Casey Mears. Rookies Erik Jones (FRR, 77) and Daniel Suarez (JGR, 19) will do battle for Rookie of the Year honors and Ty Dillon goes fulltime in Cup with Germain. The average age of a Cup Series driver declines.

The tides, they are a'changing. While some careers and relationships get carried out over the horizon, you never know what will wash up on the beach. The Daytona 500 is February 26th; a day that will inaugurate a new title sponsor, appropriately under a new moon.
      I hate NASCAR. But, your narrative, read in that 'in a world completely...' trailer voice, might get me to watch a race. Well, maybe not a race. Maybe about 15 minutes of one. And that is saying something.

Vehicles
      2008 Outback 5spd
      01-11-2017 08:07 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by newusername View Post
      very impatiently waiting for the press conference this morning, the news on Carl yesterday damn near knocked me off my chair!
      Same, I was floored. While I'm a little sad to see him go, I am excited to see Suarez take over though. The rookie class has the potential to be strong/promising this year. I'm planning on grabbing some Erik Jones 77 gear for the '17 season.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.

Vehicles
      '06 xB, '97 Odyssey, '84 C10
      01-11-2017 08:13 AM #25
      Hey Harpoon, I must have missed it in another year's threads, but who are you? How do you have so much insider info? I stay on r/nascar all the time, and its cool to see Jeff Gluck post there often. It's awesome to have another source here... the NASCAR thread is always a favorite of mine, year after year.

Also, in interest of staying on topic, I am BEYOND excited for Monster to be the cup sponsor... I cannot wait to see what they do with the sport. It was very cool to see their big presence at both Darlington and Martinsville last year. I can't wait to see what Atlanta has in store for me here in a few months!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      Don't quit now. All it takes is one bolt a day and it's still becoming something.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast