Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
      Vehicles
      '06 xB, '97 Odyssey, '84 C10
      01-11-2017 08:13 AM #26
      Hey Harpoon, I must have missed it in another year's threads, but who are you? How do you have so much insider info? I stay on r/nascar all the time, and its cool to see Jeff Gluck post there often. It's awesome to have another source here... the NASCAR thread is always a favorite of mine, year after year.

Also, in interest of staying on topic, I am BEYOND excited for Monster to be the cup sponsor... I cannot wait to see what they do with the sport. It was very cool to see their big presence at both Darlington and Martinsville last year. I can't wait to see what Atlanta has in store for me here in a few months!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      Don't quit now. All it takes is one bolt a day and it's still becoming something.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940
      01-11-2017 08:38 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      I hate NASCAR. But, your narrative, read in that 'in a world completely...' trailer voice, might get me to watch a race. Well, maybe not a race. Maybe about 15 minutes of one. And that is saying something.
      Watch the short track and road course races.

They're the best.

01-11-2017 09:26 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Heffernan View Post
      Same, I was floored. While I'm a little sad to see him go, I am excited to see Suarez take over though. The rookie class has the potential to be strong/promising this year. I'm planning on grabbing some Erik Jones 77 gear for the '17 season.

same here, I'm a KB fan first but very much a Furniture Row Racing fan second, I'll be grabbing some 77 swag for the shop and for my trip to the Michigan August race.
      the user formerly known as al@absolute
      13 F250 XLT 6.7 CCSB (current) - 17 F350 Platinum 6.7 CCSB (on order) | 17 Explorer Sport | 87 Buick Regal GN | 14 Mustang GT | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 16 Kawasaki Mule Pro-Fxt

Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      01-11-2017 09:31 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      If this is true I'm surprised there hasn't been an announcement yet. The deadline to commit was this past summer for the 2018 season.
      pretty sure NASCAR is flexible. Dodge will only have to pick up sponsorship for a few races at ISC tracks, or become the Official Entry Level Cheaply-made 4-door Sedan of NASCAR.
      Professional Thread Derailer | I have mixed drinks about feelings | I said 'good day'!
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// instagram ////

Vehicles
      '06 xB, '97 Odyssey, '84 C10
      01-11-2017 10:14 AM #30
      Live press conference: http://www.nascar.com/jgr.html

Summary from r/nascar:

Edit 2: Carl confirms he is stepping away from NASCAR. From "full time" driving.

Edit 3: He is talking about his career and thanking every who helped him get where he is.

Edit 4: He is stepping away for 3 reasons.

Personally satisfied with his career. Event without a championship.

Because racing is "full time" and he's been doing for over 20 years. He wants to take that time and devote it to people and things he is passionate about.

Health. He can stand here healthy. A true testament to the safety in the sport.

Edit 5: Putting those 3 things together, the right time is now. He is not using the "R" word (retired). And he would come back to Gibbs if he wanted to race again.

Edit 6: He wants to get more into aviation and agriculture. He wants to stay close to NASCAR and associate with Gibbs and work with them in some capacity.

Edit 7: There was no specific crash or injury that drove him to this decision. Just his long term health.

Edit 8: Open to a Broadcasting career in the future.

Edit 9: He couldn't come up with a good reason why now wasn't a good time to step away. Everyone with the team was very supported.

Edit 10: Says he wants to help the country and doesn't rule out potentially getting involved in politics in the future.

Edit 11: "Absolutely" could race again. No intention of going back full time or driving a race car right now.

Edit 12: Winning the championship might have made the decision easier. He lives for moments like racing for the championship at Homestead and in his mind, he won because of his passion for racing.

Edit 13: He didn't lose the fun factor, but wants a new challenge. The racing has become less of a challenge to him and he wants something new to challenge him.

Edit 14: There was no epiphany moment, so that's why he still seemed ready to race in 2017. "Pardon me if I went back and forth about it"

Edit 15: Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart's retirements did not play any part in his decision.

Edit 16: "I have the best teammates in the sport." "I have not always been the best teammate. I know that, it's been pointed out to me multiple times by my teammates"

Edit 17: Gets choked up when asked about his character and how great of a role model people perceive him to be. "I just want to be a good person."

Edit 18: Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s health issues were followed by everyone in the sport. "He's a hell of a guy" "I think everyone in the sport paid attention to him." "I have a lot of administration for him."

Edit 19: "This is a contact sport" and what happened to Dale Earnhardt Jr. were both factors in his decision.

Edit 20: "Life is short. You have to do what your gut tells you." "If I don't make coach too mad, maybe he'll have me back."

Edit 21: Not entertaining any other business relationships with other teams or manufacturers. This was just a personal decision.

Edit 22: "I'm open to anything involving Toyota and coach Gibbs."

Edit 23: Matt Kenseth was the first driver he talked to. Many drivers have reached out to him. "I have a ton of respect for my competitors." He used to see them as enemies, but not any more. "Nothing but love for those guys and girls."

Edit 24: Praises the media for delivering the sport to the people. "I will be living the sport now through you guys."

Edit 25: Asked about the caution thrown at the end of Homestead. "Of course there are frustrations" but he says that he truly feels like "[NASCAR executives] want the sport to be the best it can be."

Edit 26: Fans are a "part of my team".

Edit 27: Asked if this is more than he ever expected "Like living a dream" "Accomplished more than I ever expected." "Very satisfied"

Edit 28: Asked about the reaction at home. "I have the best support" "[Friends] don't care if he's holding one of Jimmie's trophies or sitting on a tractor"

Closing statement: "Who knows what the future will hold. If you guys have any ideas, let me know." He's very excited about the sponsorship with Monster.

The 2nd conference with JGR will be starting soon, same link as above.
      Last edited by zeewhiz; 01-11-2017 at 10:48 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      Don't quit now. All it takes is one bolt a day and it's still becoming something.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      2008 Outback 5spd
      01-11-2017 10:59 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by newusername View Post
      same here, I'm a KB fan first but very much a Furniture Row Racing fan second, I'll be grabbing some 77 swag for the shop and for my trip to the Michigan August race.
      I'm a KB fan as well but I think the '17 season is when I switch my #1 driver allegiance to Erik Jones. I'll be at the All Star race in May.... I'm really looking forward to seeing what kinda show Monster Energy puts on for the race.
      Last edited by Heffernan; 01-11-2017 at 11:04 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.
      IG: rynschwz

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2000 BMW 323I 5spd
      01-11-2017 11:20 AM #32
      Silly season is still silly

Vehicles
      01-11-2017 11:22 AM #33
      I'm pulling for Suarez. I think it's a little too soon but it makes sense from JGR's perspective. I just hope he catches on quickly. Logano struggled early on before eventually becoming expendable.

Plus Suarez is a dubber at heart

9. 01-11-2017 11:27 AM #34
      One of the best race finishes I've seen was Carl's first win. His reasons are very understandable from a competitors standpoint in a dangerous sport. Ill definitely miss the race winning flips off the car. Something tells me he highly disagreed with the outcome of cautions during the finale at Honestead.

The shot callers of NASCAR is the root of this retirement or whatever you'd like to call his decision. Its a double edge sword really. You bring in fans with this type of racing, bunching them up. It also adds up to a seasons worth of team effort turned down for the sake of a race ending highlight.

01-11-2017 12:47 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Heffernan View Post
      I'm a KB fan as well but I think the '17 season is when I switch my #1 driver allegiance to Erik Jones. I'll be at the All Star race in May.... I'm really looking forward to seeing what kinda show Monster Energy puts on for the race.
      I won't say I'm switching but if KB but i'll certainly be pulling for both of them to get in the chase and win races.
      the user formerly known as al@absolute
      13 F250 XLT 6.7 CCSB (current) - 17 F350 Platinum 6.7 CCSB (on order) | 17 Explorer Sport | 87 Buick Regal GN | 14 Mustang GT | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 16 Kawasaki Mule Pro-Fxt

Vehicles
      2008 Outback 5spd
      01-11-2017 03:51 PM #37
      Picture of the new 2018 Camry that will be driven by Suarez this season.

http://www.jayski.com/news/schemes/2...9-Team-Schemes

I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940
      01-11-2017 04:30 PM #38
      They're moving the drivers names that used to be on the windscreen to the rear window.

Why.

13. Junior Member THEunderACH1EVER's Avatar
      Vehicles
      16 Jetta Sport 5spd
      01-11-2017 04:57 PM #39
      I like my racing to have right turns, elevation change and a braking zone that isn't the entry to pit road.
      Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940
      01-11-2017 05:00 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by THEunderACH1EVER View Post
      I like my racing to have right turns, elevation change and a braking zone that isn't the entry to pit road.
      Then you'll love the yearly stops the NASCAR guys make to Sonoma, Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio, Mosport, and Road America!

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-11-2017 05:07 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      They're moving the drivers names that used to be on the windscreen to the rear window.

Why.
      Becau$e Mon$ter pay$ the bill$ so what Mon$ter want$ Mon$ter get$.

Vehicles
      2008 Outback 5spd
      01-11-2017 05:12 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
      Bingo.

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-11-2017 05:13 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      I hate NASCAR. But, your narrative, read in that 'in a world completely...' trailer voice, might get me to watch a race. Well, maybe not a race. Maybe about 15 minutes of one. And that is saying something.
      That is a huge complement, thank you.

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-11-2017 05:24 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by zeewhiz View Post
      Hey Harpoon, I must have missed it in another year's threads, but who are you? How do you have so much insider info?
      I'm a nobody, but I "know some people who know some people". One person very close to me has worked in the industry and has a lot of friends in the know, and I also have a couple people on another forum I talk to. One of which has ties to FCA and actually told me just yesterday which team Dodge is specifically in talks with, but it was private and I promised I wouldn't let the cat out of the bag yet. It's pretty easy to guess anyway but it certainly isn't a who I had suspected.

Vehicles
      14 focus st
      01-11-2017 05:25 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post

Why.
      Yeah that is ridiculous. I feel like this may end up changing (ever so slightly) how the race is viewed from home (how it's filmed).
      2014 Ford Focus ST1 // fun
      2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ES // daily
      2009 Kia Rio LX // hers

Vehicles
      KTM, Honda
      01-11-2017 05:32 PM #46
      - I am glad Carl took charge of his career the way he wanted to.

- Not looking forward to the Monster Energy sponsorship. Being involved with motorcycle racing over the years makes you see how much "bro" Monster brings to motorsports. Monster IS hitting their target demographic right on the head though with NASCAR.

- Looking forward to Suarez though

Vehicles
      01-11-2017 05:37 PM #47
      Hahaha. Thi$

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-11-2017 05:45 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      - I am glad Carl took charge of his career the way he wanted to.

- Not looking forward to the Monster Energy sponsorship. Being involved with motorcycle racing over the years makes you see how much "bro" Monster brings to motorsports. Monster IS hitting their target demographic right on the head though with NASCAR.

- Looking forward to Suarez though
      I can't wait for Monster to have their way with the sport. It's gone way too PC, it needs some edge. I missed out on the days when drivers smoked during yellows and recorded country albums in their spare time, but dammit I want something closer to this than what Sprint had in mind:

Vehicles
      KTM, Honda
      01-11-2017 05:50 PM #49
      It's gone way too PC, it needs some edge.
      PC is one thing. WWF/Supercross with explosions and flames is another. Bros galore!

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-11-2017 05:53 PM #50
      I love this ****. Can we all please drink a Molson Ice at the same time and enjoy this together across the way of this tubey-pipey internet thing?

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast