Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
      Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2000 BMW 323I 5spd
      01-20-2017 10:06 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Heffernan View Post
      Here is a Twitter video showing a portion of the testing.

https://twitter.com/PRSHD/status/822...475648/video/1
      Love it!!!!

Vehicles
      2008 Outback 5spd
      01-23-2017 07:57 AM #102
      Changes to the points system coming today.

NASCAR to announce 2017 changes on Monday

Monday at 6:00pm/et in the Charlotte Convention Center, NASCAR officials will announce format changes for the 2017 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. Those changes could include such things as a new points system, awarding points for leading race segments, new qualifying procedures and perhaps running the Chase race at Charlotte Motor Speedway on the track's infield circuit. All of the above have been rumored in recent weeks, although none have been confirmed. During recent weeks, NASCAR officials have met with a variety of key stakeholders in the sport - track operators, team owners, drivers, sponsors and others - to discuss various options in an attempt to generate new excitement and interest into the sport in this, Monster Energy's first year as the new series entitlement sponsor.(Fox Sports) The announcement will be shown live on FoxSports 1 and NBCSN, streamed on NASCAR.com Press Pass and available on SiriusXM.(1-21-2017)

UPDATE: NASCAR is expected to announce Monday that it will change how it awards points during a race. NASCAR is expected to divide races into segments, and drivers would get points depending on their running order at the end of each segment, according to industry sources. The news conference Monday will detail the new points distribution system with the goal that drivers will have to compete for spots early in the event rather than having the option to bide their time until the end of the race before making a move. NASCAR currently awards points on a 40-to-1 scale from the highest to the lowest finisher among its 40 drivers. A driver who wins gets three bonus points, while a driver who leads a lap gets one bonus point and the driver who leads the most laps gets an additional bonus point. The way a driver qualifies to get into NASCAR's version of its playoffs - the regular-season champion and then 15 drivers based on wins with points as the tiebreaker - is not expected to change. NASCAR also has explored ways to make regular-season performance more meaningful in the playoffs, with the current format allowing drivers to carry over their bonus points from wins only into the first round.(ESPN.com)(1-21-2017)
      http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20170121c
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.
      IG: rynschwz

Vehicles
      Infiniti Q50S
      01-23-2017 02:55 PM #103
      NASCAR is a total joke now. Miss the days of the earnhardt sr. era. The chase and brian france destroyed the sport, it is bleeding fans like nothing else I have seen, and I wonder if it will exist 10 years from now.
      Infiniti G37x, Infiniti Q50S

Gone but not forgotten: '99 Camaro SS 6MT | '00 Mustang GT 5MT | and a bunch of Maximas and other cars...

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940
      01-23-2017 03:22 PM #104
      NASCAR will exist in ten years, it is a sanctioning body, afterall.

Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      01-23-2017 03:26 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by paradigmGT View Post
      NASCAR is a total joke now. Miss the days of the earnhardt sr. era. The chase and brian france destroyed the sport, it is bleeding fans like nothing else I have seen, and I wonder if it will exist 10 years from now.

The Chase is ridiculous because they keep changing the format. NASCAR ran the same point system for 50+ years.

NASCAR thought people would want a playoff style point system. I don't think they did. Sure, they probably wanted wins to count for something, which the Chase now addresses. But the common misunderstanding, and I've said it here before, NASCAR is an endurance sport, and needs to be scored that way. The races are long, the season is long, and the Championship is hard to come by. There's a comparison to who would win the Championship based on the old points vs. the Chase format. Jimmie doesn't have 7 under the old style. Harvick and Edwards have multiple championships. Gordon is 5-time (iirc).

What NASCAR is going to do is make NASCAR more like fantasy football. Fantasy football is a billion dollar industry. Fantasy racing isn't, but it's pretty involved. If NASCAR starts awarding points on effort rather than finishes, we're all f**ked. It's the Daytona 500, not the 499.5 (as so many racers have found out).
      Professional Thread Derailer | I have mixed drinks about feelings | I said 'good day'!
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// instagram ////

Vehicles
      01-23-2017 04:37 PM #106
      Hey, maybe now Danica can win a segment or get a 7th place trophy

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-23-2017 05:43 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      The Chase is ridiculous because they keep changing the format. NASCAR ran the same point system for 50+ years.

NASCAR thought people would want a playoff style point system. I don't think they did. Sure, they probably wanted wins to count for something, which the Chase now addresses. But the common misunderstanding, and I've said it here before, NASCAR is an endurance sport, and needs to be scored that way. The races are long, the season is long, and the Championship is hard to come by. There's a comparison to who would win the Championship based on the old points vs. the Chase format. Jimmie doesn't have 7 under the old style. Harvick and Edwards have multiple championships. Gordon is 5-time (iirc).

What NASCAR is going to do is make NASCAR more like fantasy football. Fantasy football is a billion dollar industry. Fantasy racing isn't, but it's pretty involved. If NASCAR starts awarding points on effort rather than finishes, we're all f**ked. It's the Daytona 500, not the 499.5 (as so many racers have found out).
      Gordon actually would have six if the Chase had never been implemented, which makes me sad to think about. And also, no, NASCAR did not run the same points system for 50+ years. No playoff system, but the scoring had changed many times through the years. For example glazing over the stats quick, 1,172 points earned Lee Petty the 1959 championship. Then in 1960 Rex White won with 21,164. Then in 1967 Richard Petty won with 42,472, but the following year in '68 the Silver Fox got it done with 3,499. And there are more changes than that, so revisions to scoring have been drastic and common before.

I can't wait for this announcement (it's gonna air live on NBCSN and FS1 btw) because I'm excited for what I've heard so far. I think scoring segments is a great idea. The problem with the sport is that only the last lap pays and nothing else matters. There's no reason to really fight to stay in the top ten or to take the lead in say the second quarter of the race. This is not an endurance sport anymore like back in the day when 500 miles was asking a lot of man and machine. So it's not long enough to be an endurance race anymore, which to me means that in a 200 lap race you've got laps 10 through maybe 170 that hardly serve any purpose expect to have the field potentially strung out with nothing happening.

Heat races are fun to watch because it's do or die and because you're scored so frequently (at the end of mini segments) that you MUST fight hard the entire event. That's what I want to see here. Maybe not heats, I mean not inversions or anything, but I want to see scoring take place more than once in a race so that the whole thing actually has value. I also wish the points were on a curve to better reward higher finishes (the F1 points model is fantastic in that regard) instead of one measly point separating each place. They should scrap the chase, put points/running order on a wicked curve, and then every single race will matter to everybody, and people will race harder than ever for each position because losing even one spot would have an impact. And

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-23-2017 05:49 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      NASCAR will exist in ten years, it is a sanctioning body, afterall.
      I had a dream last night that we were at your MINI dealer talking, and then in the dream I woke up from my sleep and thought like, "Hey that's weird, I had a dream about Woodski". So then we actually met up somewhere to hangout and you were like "Hey I had a dream about you last night" and I was like "That's crazy because we were talking in a dream that I had too". And then I woke up for real and this morning at work I realized I had a dream that I had a dream about you and I was pretty mindblown for a second. I was gonna text you about it but I forgot it happened until just now.

Vehicles
      Lowered Outback, SVX, GMC Sierra
      01-23-2017 05:53 PM #109
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-23-2017 06:01 PM #110
      It just sucks that the car is ugly as heck.

Vehicles
      01-23-2017 06:01 PM #111
      I wish they put orange shorts on his firesuit

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      01-23-2017 06:10 PM #112
      This is all good stuff. The playoff system really made the first 26 races dull and took away meaning from that because the weight was off your shoulders after that first win. These revisions make the season feel more polished through the whole year. The playoff system is much more cohesive now instead of being half-assed.

13. 01-24-2017 02:37 AM #113
      I'm one with displeasure on the recent talks of format revision. Maybe this is why Carl left. Last Saturday I sat down to watch one of the handful races I missed in 2016 (the most in my 20+ years as a fan) and I could not sit through it. Jeff Gordon retiring had a lot to do it, but I'm one to watch two rats race towards a block of cheese.

The racing was uneventful down to the coverage and jibber-jabber of the commentators so there was definitely more at play towards my disinterest. I'm all for the in-track field at Charlotte, however, the drastic change to the points system could not place me more distant to the sport.

NASCAR represented endurance and irregularity not often seen in motorsports. If I wanted to watch what they're conspiring to do so in 2017, there are plenty of racing series which can entertain that factor.

Vehicles
      01-24-2017 04:07 AM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by Perceptive Bunny View Post
      I'm one with displeasure on the recent talks of format revision. Maybe this is why Carl left. Last Saturday I sat down to watch one of the handful races I missed in 2016 (the most in my 20+ years as a fan) and I could not sit through it. Jeff Gordon retiring had a lot to do it, but I'm one to watch two rats race towards a block of cheese.

The racing was uneventful down to the coverage and jibber-jabber of the commentators so there was definitely more at play towards my disinterest. I'm all for the in-track field at Charlotte, however, the drastic change to the points system could not place me more distant to the sport.

NASCAR represented endurance and irregularity not often seen in motorsports. If I wanted to watch what they're conspiring to do so in 2017, there are plenty of racing series which can entertain that factor.
      The changes have already been made.

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      2008 Outback 5spd
      01-24-2017 08:06 AM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
      This is all good stuff. The playoff system really made the first 26 races dull and took away meaning from that because the weight was off your shoulders after that first win. These revisions make the season feel more polished through the whole year. The playoff system is much more cohesive now instead of being half-assed.
      I agree. I optmistic with the new format for 2017.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.
      IG: rynschwz

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940
      01-24-2017 09:49 AM #116

This is truly horrendous.

I'm not a fan of the new race format, but we'll see how it plays out.

Vehicles
      01-24-2017 10:04 AM #117
      The HOF should have asterisks next to their name explaining which format they raced in.

I'll give it a go and see how it is. Will it be like the All Star race? Are teams going to be setting up for shorter runs? Will the races be longer as a result?

I glanced through the changes but haven't really given it much thought.

Vehicles
      '06 xB, '97 Odyssey, '84 C10
      01-24-2017 10:32 AM #118
      found on reddit:

Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      Don't quit now. All it takes is one bolt a day and it's still becoming something.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      01-24-2017 11:45 AM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      The HOF should have asterisks next to their name explaining which format they raced in.

I'll give it a go and see how it is. Will it be like the All Star race? Are teams going to be setting up for shorter runs? Will the races be longer as a result?

I glanced through the changes but haven't really given it much thought.

Sounds like they want harder driving throughout the entire race. Segment distances will be proportional to the race length and track size, and they changed the way you get bonus points in an attempt to make the regular season a bit more meaningful. Sounds like the segment's will end with a caution which I think it'd be nice if they didn't stop the race after segments finished. As for setting the car up for shorter runs we don't know yet. Using a 500mi race on a 1.5mi track the segments will still be 80+ laps so maybe you have teams making larger swings during pitstops. It is nice that there will be an actual regular season champion though. With that you get 15 chase bonus points but sadly that will only help for the 1st round of the chase.

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      01-24-2017 02:38 PM #120

Rule #1 in car design- never put yellow numbers on a white car. That car is ridiculously graphically challenged.
      Professional Thread Derailer | I have mixed drinks about feelings | I said 'good day'!
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.

21. 01-24-2017 09:06 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      The changes have already been made.
      Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      Sounds like they want harder driving throughout the entire race. Segment distances will be proportional to the race length and track size, and they changed the way you get bonus points in an attempt to make the regular season a bit more meaningful. Sounds like the segment's will end with a caution which I think it'd be nice if they didn't stop the race after segments finished. As for setting the car up for shorter runs we don't know yet. Using a 500mi race on a 1.5mi track the segments will still be 80+ laps so maybe you have teams making larger swings during pitstops. It is nice that there will be an actual regular season champion though. With that you get 15 chase bonus points but sadly that will only help for the 1st round of the chase.

I really don't want intermissions with cautions. Anyone have info on Junior and the 88 and what channel/s they will be airing the races?

22. 01-24-2017 10:52 PM #122
      http://calendar.nascar.com/schedule

Just googled it up. I have Kodi installed on my phone along with exodus and a few sports repositories to watch the FS1 and NBCSN races

Vehicles
      01-25-2017 12:24 AM #123
      I guess no more sandbagging or mind games....

Vehicles
      01-25-2017 10:49 AM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      I guess no more sandbagging or mind games....

That's the intention... and we all know how intentions go.

Drivers are completely content letting someone run a dominating race. Because usually the dominant car doesn't win (recent history) because they wear their s**t out. The teams are already running the math. If it takes 100% to run 1st, but you can only do that at 65% of the tracks... or you can run 90% and run 3rd at 80% of the tracks... which gives you more points?

I'm betting the idea for this point structure came from TRD.

Vehicles
      01-25-2017 11:23 AM #125
      Yup. No more Knaus voodoo jedi mind tricks. Bring it!!!

For advertising information click HERE

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast