KilometerMagazine.com - Time for an AR-15 .... I have a few ???
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 76
    1. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      39,448
      Vehicles
      A Few Alphas
      02-16-2017 12:03 AM #51
      FIL gave me his credit card and asked me to build him a lightweight AR-15.

      Budget is unlimited, but the time frame is one week.

      So my final parts list after many, sorry it actually is not in stock emails...

      -Anderson stripped upper and lower (I already had these after buying them in bulk during a blowout, mil-spec is mil-spec)
      -Magpul STR stock w/ buffer tube, and grip
      - Spike's Tactical lightweight barrel 14.5" 1:7
      - Spike's Tactical dyna comp muzzle device to put me at 16" overall. Pre-drilled for pin and weld.
      - Spike's low pro gas block and tube, mid-length
      - Bravo Company BCG and charging handle
      - Bravo Company KMR key mod rail 13" it is very lightweight
      - UTG Swat Bipod
      - PSA LPK
      - Burris MTAC 1-4x

    2. Member JTinFocus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2008
      Posts
      597
      Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      02-17-2017 09:01 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      FIL gave me his credit card and asked me to build him a lightweight AR-15.

      Budget is unlimited, but the time frame is one week.

      So my final parts list after many, sorry it actually is not in stock emails...

      -Anderson stripped upper and lower (I already had these after buying them in bulk during a blowout, mil-spec is mil-spec)
      -Magpul STR stock w/ buffer tube, and grip
      - Spike's Tactical lightweight barrel 14.5" 1:7
      - Spike's Tactical dyna comp muzzle device to put me at 16" overall. Pre-drilled for pin and weld.
      - Spike's low pro gas block and tube, mid-length
      - Bravo Company BCG and charging handle
      - Bravo Company KMR key mod rail 13" it is very lightweight
      - UTG Swat Bipod
      - PSA LPK
      - Burris MTAC 1-4x
      Pics when it's done.

      I ordered my PSA MOE Freedom 16" upper yesterday.

      Lower is an Anderson, PSA MOE LPK w/ EPT (trigger's smooth as butter), MOE fixed stock, Anderson buffer tube.

      Once I get the BCG/CH I'll be in at a tick or 2 over $500. Then I can decide on site/optics. Any suggestions for someone who is about 20/25, dominant right eye (left eye has better vision), red-green AND blue-yellow colorblind? Call a S.W.A.T. team when the shtf? My Mauser has original iron sites and I have no problems centering pie plates at 100yds with it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Leary
      The universe is an intelligence test.

    3. 02-17-2017 09:15 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by JTinFocus View Post
      Pics when it's done.

      I ordered my PSA MOE Freedom 16" upper yesterday.

      Lower is an Anderson, PSA MOE LPK w/ EPT (trigger's smooth as butter), MOE fixed stock, Anderson buffer tube.

      Once I get the BCG/CH I'll be in at a tick or 2 over $500. Then I can decide on site/optics. Any suggestions for someone who is about 20/25, dominant right eye (left eye has better vision), red-green AND blue-yellow colorblind? Call a S.W.A.T. team when the shtf? My Mauser has original iron sites and I have no problems centering pie plates at 100yds with it.
      I like fixed low power scopes. Tasco used to make a 2.5x20, but those seem to have dried up in the new market; I've seen them on ebay. BSA makes a "deerhunter" 2.5x20; it has a finer reticle than the Tasco and a fast focus ocular. My latest is a Barska 2.5x20 with a six inch eye relief.

      Any of these focus at very close ranges, are durable, light and not expensive.

      Many will prefer a 1-4 variable for several hundred dollars as a matter of 3-gun inspired fashion. Price aside, I find variable magnification more a distraction than an asset on a carbine.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT. http://www.npboards.com/index.php

      "I am JIMP."

    4. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      39,448
      Vehicles
      A Few Alphas
      02-20-2017 08:52 PM #54
      My Burris has a true 1x magnification allowing for both eyes to be open, while firing. Also it has an illuminated reticent with 10 power settings.

    5. Member JTinFocus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2008
      Posts
      597
      Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      02-28-2017 09:45 AM #55
      Probably going with an MBUS Pro rear sight.

      Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Leary
      The universe is an intelligence test.

    6. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      39,448
      Vehicles
      A Few Alphas
      02-28-2017 03:33 PM #56


      Just finished my light weight build last night.

      Anderson receivers. Spikes LW LE 14.5" barrel. Spikes BCG. Bravo Company furniture. Another Burris MTAC. I also have a SPARC II for plinking use.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Aonarch; 03-12-2017 at 11:16 AM.

    7. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      39,448
      Vehicles
      A Few Alphas
      02-28-2017 03:34 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by JTinFocus View Post
      Probably going with an MBUS Pro rear sight.

      Looks good. I like the MBUS Pro.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    8. Member JTinFocus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2008
      Posts
      597
      Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      03-01-2017 11:36 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Looks good. I like the MBUS Pro.
      Thanks! My brother swears by it. I'm still considering the MBUS Gen2 poly. Just ordered some Accu-Wedges to tighten the play between upper and lower.
      Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Leary
      The universe is an intelligence test.

    9. Member coderedcomputing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 22nd, 2011
      Location
      304
      Posts
      2,309
      Vehicles
      Gee oh elle eff, Vee oh elle tea
      03-01-2017 01:47 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      Many will prefer a 1-4 variable for several hundred dollars as a matter of 3-gun inspired fashion. Price aside, I find variable magnification more a distraction than an asset on a carbine.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      My Burris has a true 1x magnification allowing for both eyes to be open, while firing. Also it has an illuminated reticent with 10 power settings.
      Agreed, the Burris MTAC is very good at this. Add a cattail if you need extra fast zoom to 4x.
      A loving welcome from TCL

      I'm coming round to meet you, The long way round

    10. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      39,448
      Vehicles
      A Few Alphas
      03-02-2017 10:01 PM #60
      Building a 9mm next. Just waiting on parts availability.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    11. 03-03-2017 09:03 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Building a 9mm next. Just waiting on parts availability.
      This always appeals to me just after I check the price on subsonic 300BO ammunition. I am attracted the the Palmetto State lowers cut specifically for Glock magazines.

      The range limitations of 9mm don't bother me, but the reliability and durability obstacles of some builds do.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT. http://www.npboards.com/index.php

      "I am JIMP."

    12. Senior Member NoDubJustYet's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      VA
      Posts
      31,103
      Vehicles
      MkVII GSW
      03-03-2017 11:51 AM #62
      300BLK is only worth it if:

      - You have an SBR
      - You have a silencer
      - You reload

      I can do 220gr Sierra subs at around 50¢ a pop.

    13. 03-03-2017 11:56 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      300BLK is only worth it if:

      - You have an SBR
      - You have a silencer
      - You reload

      I can do 220gr Sierra subs at around 50¢ a pop.
      Money aside, I think a subsonic 300BO with a 16 inch barrel would be neat, but not at 50cpr. I just don't like muzzle blast. I imagine that firing any 5.56 indoors without ear pro would cause dramatic hearing loss.

      9mm is dropping below 20cpr now. With a 16 inch barrel, I think it could be a good home defense item.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT. http://www.npboards.com/index.php

      "I am JIMP."

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 3rd, 2006
      Location
      North Las Vegas
      Posts
      2,206
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevrolet SS 6M
      03-06-2017 11:43 PM #64
      I recently bought a Smith & Wesson M&P-15 Sport II as a starter AR. No pictures of the rifle at the moment, but I do have my first targets. I met with an instructor to get acquainted with it, and he zeroed it for me while I shot these:

      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Rather than being all Mr Money Moustache about this, I'd say go for it and be Mr SS Mustache about it but that has a whole different historical implication.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Every person in TCL who has the means to buy one [a Chevy SS] but doesn't right now should be shot. Sorry, I've spent too much time in the Florida gun thread today.

    15. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      39,448
      Vehicles
      A Few Alphas
      03-17-2017 06:58 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      Money aside, I think a subsonic 300BO with a 16 inch barrel would be neat, but not at 50cpr. I just don't like muzzle blast. I imagine that firing any 5.56 indoors without ear pro would cause dramatic hearing loss.

      9mm is dropping below 20cpr now. With a 16 inch barrel, I think it could be a good home defense item.


      I just ordered my AR9 build. I'll post up maybe next week once I get it together.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    16. Member GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      No one cares how you feel.
      Posts
      8,598
      Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      03-17-2017 11:01 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post


      I just ordered my AR9 build. I'll post up maybe next week once I get it together.
      Don't forget to buy all those 33rd mags.

      I talked to a buddy of mine who's been shooting for, oh, 41 years or so- and he's only 4 years older than me- and he said while a 9mm AR is fun, he'd rather go with a .45 AR. A modern Thompson, if you will.

      I need to build my ARs before I get an idea on anything else.
      Professional Thread Derailer | I have mixed drinks about feelings | I said 'good day'!
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// instagram ////

    17. 03-17-2017 07:13 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Don't forget to buy all those 33rd mags.

      I talked to a buddy of mine who's been shooting for, oh, 41 years or so- and he's only 4 years older than me- and he said while a 9mm AR is fun, he'd rather go with a .45 AR. A modern Thompson, if you will.

      I need to build my ARs before I get an idea on anything else.
      Out of a pistol barrel, 45acp is a much better round past 100m. 9mm beyond 100m is dropping much like a 22lr; it runs out of steam and seems to drop out of the sky like a 22lr out of a rifle. 45acp drops, but has a smoother trajectory and still has enough force for the impact to be noted.

      The 9mm advantage for an AR carbine is better market support. That PSA/Glock lower keeps you from having to jerry rig magazine blocks and you don't have to dig up an old grease gun magazine.

      I am intrigued by variations of the original AR design, but part of the reason someone like me can build a regular AR15 is that it is so easy that one nearly has to try to screw it up to get one that doesn't work properly. My impression of a 45acp conversion is that it may take some additional ingenuity.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT. http://www.npboards.com/index.php

      "I am JIMP."

    18. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      39,448
      Vehicles
      A Few Alphas
      03-17-2017 08:38 PM #68
      AR9s are getting popular. I only shoot steel and paper 25-100 yards, so yoloooo. I wanted something with more umph than a 22. I ordered a 300 BO barrel too.

      Edit: I have four ARs, and wanted one to shoot with my Glock 9s (43, 26, 19).

      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Aonarch; 03-17-2017 at 11:57 PM.

    19. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2016
      Location
      NM
      Posts
      10
      03-18-2017 04:55 PM #69
      I have heard the NFA crowd prefer dual feed magazines such as Colt smg mags. Seems they feed better in an AR verses the single feed of Glock mags. Mag compatibility with the rest of your Glocks is a huge plus though.
      I personally would not go pistol caliber carbine for a home defense. If I am going to pick up a rifle for defense, it better be a rifle caliber. I understand not wanting to blow your hearing out. Just go all the way and get a suppressor.

    20. Member GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      No one cares how you feel.
      Posts
      8,598
      Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      03-19-2017 12:06 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Safety_Third View Post
      I have heard the NFA crowd prefer dual feed magazines such as Colt smg mags. Seems they feed better in an AR verses the single feed of Glock mags. Mag compatibility with the rest of your Glocks is a huge plus though.
      I personally would not go pistol caliber carbine for a home defense. If I am going to pick up a rifle for defense, it better be a rifle caliber. I understand not wanting to blow your hearing out. Just go all the way and get a suppressor.
      LOL wut?

      yay spam?
      Professional Thread Derailer | I have mixed drinks about feelings | I said 'good day'!
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// instagram ////

    21. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      39,448
      Vehicles
      A Few Alphas
      03-19-2017 02:09 PM #71
      45 is quickly falling out of vogue.

    22. 03-19-2017 05:34 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      45 is quickly falling out of vogue.
      I assume that's an economic matter. 45acp has several advantages over 9mm, but 9mm arms seem to be where the design energy is.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT. http://www.npboards.com/index.php

      "I am JIMP."

    23. Senior Member NoDubJustYet's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      VA
      Posts
      31,103
      Vehicles
      MkVII GSW
      03-19-2017 10:08 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      I assume that's an economic matter. 45acp has several advantages over 9mm, but 9mm arms seem to be where the design energy is.
      Probably due to the FBI's study on 9mm's effectiveness... and their new weapons contact going back to 9mm (from .40). Not to mention ICE and DSS with many, many more to follow.

    24. Member GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      No one cares how you feel.
      Posts
      8,598
      Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      03-19-2017 11:30 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Probably due to the FBI's study on 9mm's effectiveness... and their new weapons contact going back to 9mm (from .40). Not to mention ICE and DSS with many, many more to follow.
      I read (I think in TTAG) that at least one agency is going with new .40cal pistols, and not dropping to 9mm.
      Professional Thread Derailer | I have mixed drinks about feelings | I said 'good day'!
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// instagram ////

    25. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2016
      Location
      NM
      Posts
      10
      03-20-2017 02:10 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      LOL wut?

      yay spam?
      What's with the mockery? I am sharing my opinion.
      Rifle calibers are more effective than pistol calibers. Having a carbine in a pistol caliber negates that advantage in terminal effectiveness. To me, a rifle is harder to store ready to go, so a pistol caliber rifle has two strikes against it as a home defense weapon. I'm still a fan of them as plinkers and range toys.

    For advertising information click HERE

    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •