Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    1. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      02-15-2017 02:31 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post
      They are being filled, just not completely. Crews are dropping boulders and covering them with a concrete slurry to help lock them in place.

It looks like there are quite a few people working, this story gives good details:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...214-story.html
      yeah they're not worried about the main spillway as that seems to have hit bedrock and won't erode much more if at all. they need to shore up the erosion at the emergency spillway in case it is needed again. since this spillway isn't likely to be needed for a bit, if at all, they have time. the two major areas of concern are the rip approaching the dam wall and the remaining roadway which would destabilize the center of the whole structure. when they say a 30 foot wall of water they mean the road way totally collapsing and busting out the 30' tall main spillway. but that clearly will lead to marvelous amounts of erosion so 30 feet could become , well, whatever the water turns it into.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GMC Sierra, 1998 TJ 5.3L/465/Atlas, 1996 F250
      02-15-2017 06:09 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      It's like that scene on chaos theory from Jurassic Park

3. Member
      Vehicles
      97 mv
      02-17-2017 10:52 AM #103

Here is a more recent photo. At least some progress has been made, but from the looks of it, still too little. This is how it should have looked by the day the emergency spillway was used, given the prior notice they had.

Inscribed with just two thumbs...

4. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      02-17-2017 11:15 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by filmshoot View Post

Here is a more recent photo. At least some progress has been made, but from the looks of it, still too little. This is how it should have looked by the day the emergency spillway was used, given the prior notice they had.

there were 2 main areas of concern. this gash and then the spot at the end of the road. if the gash goes it takes part of the emergency wall and hopefully that's it. if the end of the road goes it takes the whole main spillway structure and maybe the hillside. they obviously needed to deal with the end of the road portion first. im also guessing getting those booms there required some air lifting of the equipment. no idea how they get the cement over, lift each truck?
      Last edited by WhineMCABasket2.0t; 02-17-2017 at 11:18 AM.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Audis, 2 Hondas, 1 BMW
      02-17-2017 11:21 AM #105
      Some various sat photos that show the different water levels over time:

http://gizmodo.com/dramatic-satellit...-dr-1792474219

Did the rains this week raise the water levels back up or were they able to keep it consistent with last weekend?

6. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      02-17-2017 11:23 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      Some various sat photos that show the different water levels over time:

http://gizmodo.com/dramatic-satellit...-dr-1792474219

Did the rains this week raise the water levels back up or were they able to keep it consistent with last weekend?
      Its just starting to rain now. yesterday was thankfully a bust of a storm, only 0.26" on Oroville.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      97 mv
      02-17-2017 11:31 AM #107
      That satellite imagery helps a lot
      I am relieved that there is a good amount of earth, and slope on the lakeside of the emergency spillway

02-17-2017 11:33 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      there were 2 main areas of concern. this gash and then the spot at the end of the road. if the gash goes it takes part of the emergency wall and hopefully that's it. if the end of the road goes it takes the whole main spillway structure and maybe the hillside. they obviously needed to deal with the end of the road portion first. im also guessing getting those booms there required some air lifting of the equipment. no idea how they get the cement over, lift each truck?
      Mobile plants and then long-reach pumping trucks. They can pump concrete vertically up the sides of very tall buildings as the floors go up, mild heights and horizontal distances shouldn't be a big deal. It looked like they might have had access from both sides of dam one one of those drone videos that someone posted.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      They make my ass look pretty.

9. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      02-17-2017 01:56 PM #109
      So far, here at least, this is more wind than rain. Know that Oroville was supposed to be more than we get tho.

02-17-2017 03:08 PM #110

Can someone explain what they are trying to cement?

Would'nt they need some sort of pilings rather than throwing some boulders an pouring cement on/around them?? The earth is already eroded and lacks any roots from plantation...Am I missing something?
      "Non è baciare il muro che mi preoccupa. E' farci l'amore che mi spaventa un pò" M. Alboreto

O|||||||O

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU
      02-17-2017 03:24 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Deltac View Post

Would'nt they need some sort of pilings rather than throwing some boulders an pouring cement on/around them?? The earth is already eroded and lacks any roots from plantation...Am I missing something?

I think they are basically in "hope for the best" mode right now
      The OG Russells is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

12. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      02-17-2017 03:32 PM #112

ah this helps I see they made a path down for the trucks

So at the edge of the road thats washed out in front of the main spillway, they dropped a ton of rocks covered by water to keep the rest of the road from washing out. if that washed out then the ground holding the actual spillway gates would be at risk of collapse. that's catastrophic.

at the left edge they're trying to keep the water from further eroding the big gash that was approaching the emergency spillway. if that washed away at best it drops the lake by the height of the concrete. at worst the washout makes its way over to the main spillway and collapses it too. thats a less probably scenario it seems than the edge of the road getting washed out and collapsing the whole hillside. the whole 30 foot column of water thing. and you know that 30 foot column of water brings extra erosion, so who knows what itd grow to.

the hope is that the emergency spillway isn't needed at all but if it is those two things need immediate fixing. aint got time for no pylons.

Vehicles
      Honda Fanboy Collection
      02-17-2017 03:55 PM #113
      ah this helps I see they made a path down for the trucks

So at the edge of the road thats washed out in front of the main spillway, they dropped a ton of rocks covered by water to keep the rest of the road from washing out. if that washed out then the ground holding the actual spillway gates would be at risk of collapse. that's catastrophic.

at the left edge they're trying to keep the water from further eroding the big gash that was approaching the emergency spillway. if that washed away at best it drops the lake by the height of the concrete. at worst the washout makes its way over to the main spillway and collapses it too. thats a less probably scenario it seems than the edge of the road getting washed out and collapsing the whole hillside. the whole 30 foot column of water thing. and you know that 30 foot column of water brings extra erosion, so who knows what itd grow to.

the hope is that the emergency spillway isn't needed at all but if it is those two things need immediate fixing. aint got time for no pylons.
      you got it. the fear is if the emergency spillway fails the lake drops precipitously to the height of where the concrete once was. if that happens, you've got 30-40 feet of lake heading downhill and the erosion could make the loss even greater. total failure of the spill way is probably a bit unlikely , but i wouldn't want to be standing there to watch it!
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

02-17-2017 06:38 PM #114
      Yes I understood that the purpose was to avoid erosion, but I find it hard to believe that some rocks will stop another emergency spillway overflow from doing damage.

I've seen these rock walls get completely destroyed with small surges of water. Also, is it normal to not have some sort of reinforcement or underground erosion prevention around the main concrete structures? I mean, even the spillway that failed, wasn't there some kind of pilings to support it along all that earth?

At the least, they should be throwing these around the rocks to help retain them in case of further spillage.

or net?
      "Non è baciare il muro che mi preoccupa. E' farci l'amore che mi spaventa un pò" M. Alboreto

O|||||||O

15. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      02-17-2017 06:42 PM #115
      Yes I understood that the purpose was to avoid erosion, but I find it hard to believe that some rocks will stop another emergency spillway overflow from doing damage.

I've seen these rock walls get completely destroyed with small surges of water. Also, is it normal to not have some sort of reinforcement or underground erosion prevention around the main concrete structures? I mean, even the spillway that failed, wasn't there some kind of pilings to support it along all that earth?

At the least, they should be throwing these around the rocks to help retain them in case of further spillage.

or net?
      yeah, don't think they exactly have a ton of those jack shaped concrete forms just laying around on hand for this. and netting? have you seen the caves this water carved? if the concrete gives way the netting aint gonna do chit.

02-17-2017 07:49 PM #116
      yeah, don't think they exactly have a ton of those jack shaped concrete forms just laying around on hand for this. and netting? have you seen the caves this water carved? if the concrete gives way the netting aint gonna do chit.
      The netting is usually installed when you build something...so I would have thought that they could have used it to protect the hill that goes down from the emergency spillway no? They do it all over the world on mountain roads...

As for the blocks, I don't know, maybe in the US it's not so common, but it's popularity around the world would make me believe that they do in fact that a ton of them laying around ...just maybe not in the US

O|||||||O

17. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      02-17-2017 07:58 PM #117
      the netting gets drilled into the rocks when they use it. theres nothing to anchor it to except itself, it's all water logged dirt around it. it'd do nothing to stem the erosion of dirt and would just get tangled up somewhere down the hill or in the river.

02-17-2017 09:04 PM #118
      the netting gets drilled into the rocks when they use it. theres nothing to anchor it to except itself, it's all water logged dirt around it. it'd do nothing to stem the erosion of dirt and would just get tangled up somewhere down the hill or in the river.
      No I understand that, however there are also other ways I believe to create a more stable hill, like using those nets which are filled with rocks, then placed to make layers. Don't know if the explanation makes sense...

O|||||||O

19. Member
      Vehicles
      97 mv
      02-17-2017 10:56 PM #119
      https://youtu.be/wD7WzYVW4iU

20. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      02-17-2017 11:44 PM #120
      No I understand that, however there are also other ways I believe to create a more stable hill, like using those nets which are filled with rocks, then placed to make layers. Don't know if the explanation makes sense...
      But again that has to be readily available on site in a 3 day window. If they cite do something more stable I'm sure they would.

21. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      02-18-2017 10:07 AM #121
      There's an old unused road that went back to mostly dirt that's used by bikers and hikers here. Someone knew the earthen dam would break and made a time lapse. You can see after it tops over how rapidly it erodes and finds a way to carve a path right down the middle. Next day shot you see it ripped down to the bottom.

Last edited by WhineMCABasket2.0t; 02-18-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI,
      02-18-2017 10:39 AM #122
      If this was Japan it would have been fixed already.

It go down in the DM

23. Member
      Vehicles
      97 mv
      02-18-2017 06:49 PM #123
      https://youtu.be/iw2PqPUebGA

24. Member
      Vehicles
      97 mv
      02-18-2017 06:57 PM #124
      http://www.modbee.com/news/article133401799.html

Vehicles
      '14 335i GT, '16 $46 Cruze
      02-18-2017 10:19 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      If this was Japan it would have been fixed already.
      1. Sinkhole != dam
      2. You would crap your pants at their tax rates
      | 2014 BMW 335i GT | 2016 $46 Chevy Cruze |

For advertising information click HERE

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast