Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    1. Senior Member WineBasket2.0t's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      04-19-2017 04:31 PM #176
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Nah, they'll just roll in with a bunch of Quikrete and fill the gap.

If "they" are smart, they would use the water to be power generating. The natural spillway could be built up and protected from further erosion. I like things to look natural. A mile-long slip-n-slide, bleh. Who wants to see that?
      The slip n side is to empty excess capacity so it doesn't spill over the top
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI,
      04-19-2017 10:31 PM #177
      Am I correct in thinking this was a design flaw from the very beginning. That hump in the middle, right before where it failed?
      It go down in the DM

Vehicles
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      04-20-2017 12:42 AM #178
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      Am I correct in thinking this was a design flaw from the very beginning. That hump in the middle, right before where it failed?
      They're claiming some clogging of drains, and that's a thin part of the concrete slide where a pipe crosses under it.

I'm not a damn designer, but I've seen a few damn experts who have claimed this dam was damned from the start through a design flaw.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      04-20-2017 03:59 PM #179
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      The slip n side is to empty excess capacity so it doesn't spill over the top
      Yes, I know what the spillway is for. What I'm saying is the spillway path is now half man-made, half natural. It's a bit more scenic as a "natural" spillway, rather than the long concrete one.
      Professional Thread Derailer | I have mixed drinks about feelings | I said 'good day'!
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// instagram ////

Vehicles
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      04-20-2017 04:13 PM #180
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Yes, I know what the spillway is for. What I'm saying is the spillway path is now half man-made, half natural. It's a bit more scenic as a "natural" spillway, rather than the long concrete one.
      Well it's not so scenic now that the hill is all eroded.
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      11 328i Touring, 16 Colorado Crew, Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      04-20-2017 04:23 PM #181
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Well it's not so scenic now that the hill is all eroded.
      They should break it all up and let people use it for extreme kayaking.
      Touareg Audio Accessories - Keyless Start - Paddle Shift

If you use Tapatalk, you aren't seeing the whole message. Tapatalk shortens GIFs, cuts URLs and deletes signatures.

Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      04-20-2017 05:07 PM #182
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      They should break it all up and let people use it for extreme kayaking.

I know, right? rev-e-nue opp-or-tunity.
      Professional Thread Derailer | I have mixed drinks about feelings | I said 'good day'!
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// instagram ////

04-20-2017 06:30 PM #183
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      I'm interested in groundwater predictions for the farmlands. Do resident experts think that the groundwater levels will start to be replenished? I know farmers have been deepening wells for years to pick up groundwater that gets lower and lower.
      the aquifers will fill up....just not to their previous volumes. During the drought several aquifers subsided by several feet and they aren't like a balloon that can be blown back up. The damage is done

9. Senior Member WineBasket2.0t's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      04-20-2017 06:32 PM #184
      Quote Originally Posted by veedubman72 View Post
      the aquifers will fill up....just not to their previous volumes. During the drought several aquifers subsided by several feet and they aren't like a balloon that can be blown back up. The damage is done
      we need more dams to catch the sierra snow and hold it as insurance
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

04-20-2017 07:12 PM #185
      ...During the drought several aquifers subsided by several feet...
      Several? More like scores, or a hundred-plus feet.

California has dodged a bullet with this winter's rain. The gun, however, is still pointed at our heads.

Vehicles
      13 Elantra
      04-21-2017 10:55 AM #186
      This photo came up on Reddit about a 1928 failure of the St. Francis dam in the LA region. SoCal dam chaos that claimed 431 lives. Info

Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 04-21-2017 at 01:31 PM.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Vehicles
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      04-21-2017 11:06 AM #187
      Large scale engineering disasters fascinate me. That picture is haunting, and super awesome.

04-21-2017 11:10 AM #188
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Large scale engineering disasters fascinate me. That picture is haunting, and super awesome.
      Wiki says happened at 11:57 PM. Is it just me or do these thing seem to happen mostly at night like mother nature and physics are saying "we told you we'd get you". Everyone sleeping, nobody has a clue what hits them. Damn. Dam. Damn Dam.
      They make my ass look pretty.

04-21-2017 01:21 PM #189
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post
      Several? More like scores, or a hundred-plus feet.

California has dodged a bullet with this winter's rain. The gun, however, is still pointed at our heads.
      I'm not sure what you meant by "hundred feet plus". It wasn't a hundred feet plus in a single location at least. If that occurred we would have massive sink holes across the state. I didn't have the exact numbers, but major aquifers like the Kern water bank subsided an average of 3-5 feet in various spots. but that's 3-5 feet over a very large landscape which equals several hundred acre feet if that's what you meant.

Some localized aquifers may have even collapsed entirely. Funny thing is that we had record tomato, almond, pistachio, and alfalfa crops during these last drought years. They had so many almonds and pistachios they couldn't sell them all and they got either ****canned or sold as cattle feed. The other crazy thing is that a majority of the almonds. pistachios and alfalfa gets sent to Chinese markets, so basically we are selling our water to the Chinese while our natural resources continue to struggle for survival.

California water is a mess and the water contractors that deliver water to the various farmers throughout the San Joaquin Valley have a monopoly. They take state and federally subsidized water and charge one of the highest markups of any commodity to deliver that water. At one point they were charging farmers $400 an acre foot (and remember this is subsidized water!). Never mind that the water contractors encouraged farmers to grow unsustainable luxury crops like almonds, pistachios and grapes that require massive amounts of water in a ****ing desert! and then sue the environmental agencies when they don't get the water they demand when these agencies are desperately trying to conserve natural resources that have relied on that water for eons. Unfortunately, that's been the culture for 60+ years ever since the feds encouraged farming in the SJ valley with the construction of the Central Valley Project in the 1960's and then the State built the State Water Project right next to it shortly after. They promised water just not the mechanism to deliver it to them and now we have the bitter water battle that will see no end. The Governor's answer? build two giant tunnels under a 40 mile stretch of the Sacramento/SJ delta at the cost of several billion dollars to serve a very small group of people that grow pistachios, almonds and grapes in a desert. Never mind the fact that he didn't even put it up for a vote or even a vote to fund it. He just said it's going to happen.

There's also the pre and post 1914 appropriative water rights where is gives seniority to various water users. The SJ water contractors are the most junior water rights holder which means they are last in line for receiving water and yet they are one of the largest consumers and the most ruthless when it comes to politics and litigation. This is the same group that pressured their congressmen to gut the endangered species act, so they could get more water and continue growing almonds, pistachios and alfalfa to sell to Chinese markets. The litany is that "were just poor farmers trying to feed America" though.
      Last edited by veedubman72; 04-21-2017 at 01:24 PM.

04-21-2017 02:00 PM #190
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      This photo came up on Reddit about a 1928 failure of the St. Francis dam in the LA region. SoCal dam chaos that claimed 431 lives...
      That dam has a twin: The Mullholland dam on the Hollywood reservoir. After the St. Francis dam collapsed, they lowered the water level in the reservoir, and reinforced the dam face with earth and trees.

Before:

In progress:

After:

04-21-2017 02:48 PM #191
      I'm not sure what you meant by "hundred feet plus"...
      I was referring to the lowering of ground water tables*, and the depth well-drillers have to go to find water. (Sorry if I wasn't very clear.) During the drought, it was nearly impossible to get a new well dug, and relatively poor landowners were simply outspent by neighbors who could drill a deeper well and take the water for themselves. Shockingly, California had NO restrictions on groundwater use until just last year, and those regs don't even go into effect until 2040, and even then, individual use will remain under a "cloak of confidentiality."

Quote Originally Posted by veedubman72
      ...California water is a mess and the water contractors that deliver water to the various farmers throughout the San Joaquin Valley have a monopoly. They take state and federally subsidized water and charge one of the highest markups of any commodity to deliver that water. At one point they were charging farmers $400 an acre foot (and remember this is subsidized water!). Never mind that the water contractors encouraged farmers to grow unsustainable luxury crops like almonds, pistachios and grapes that require massive amounts of water in a ****ing desert!...
      California doesn't so much have a water problem as it has a nasty political problem. 80% of the state's water is used by water-rights holders who are responsible for <20% of the state's economy. On paper, that's just dumb math, but those water rights holders are very generous with their contributions and very politically active. To make things worse, if the water right is pre-1914, it's practically untouchable:

...The system for establishing rights to those flows was—prior to 1914—absolutely bananas, leading to a lot of inappropriate water usage in a state that was, and remains, essentially a desert.

To lay claim to running water back then, all you had to do was post and record a notice of the diversion. In 1901, the mayor of San Francisco used this law to claim the Tuolumne River by posting a note on a tree. The state finally figured out its own water scarcity in 1914, when it passed a law requiring any new claims to submit an application to a state-controlled board (now known as the State Water Resources Control Board). Literally kept in an old safe in the back room of an office building in Sacramento, these slips of paper determine how much water each rights-holder is due.

http://www.motherjones.com/environme...r-curtailments
      *https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/b...-dry.html?_r=0
      Last edited by vwtool; 04-21-2017 at 03:01 PM.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      11 328i Touring, 16 Colorado Crew, Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      04-21-2017 04:12 PM #192
      Blame it on Palm Springs.

Touareg Audio Accessories - Keyless Start - Paddle Shift

If you use Tapatalk, you aren't seeing the whole message. Tapatalk shortens GIFs, cuts URLs and deletes signatures.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678