KilometerMagazine.com - Weight Loss Plateau
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1. 02-16-2017 02:06 PM #1
      Advice need...I've plateaued on weight loss. Back story- about a year ago I decided it was time, turned 40 and was your typical weight loss story found in a magazine. Turns out that if you devote your life to long hours in the office, unhealthy eating and no exercise (because you are absolutely drained by 8pm) will make you one out of shape guy.

I began the process of getting healthier by cutting out most bad sugars, eat lots of fruits and veggies, chicken (can't eat red meat or fish), cut out soda and plenty of other healthier food options. In addition, I joined PF and began light strength training along with cardio. Almost 11 months later I'm down 34lbs, sleeping 100% better, my back does not hurt as much and obviously my self-image has boosted. I started at 244lbs, 42in waist and am now at 210lbs, loose 36in waist.

In those months, I've increased strength training with cables and weights, less machines and increased cardio to a level that leaves me feeling completely exhausted (in a good way). As for food, I've held steady with healthy eating habits (though I do cheat occasionally, I cannot even dream of eating the junk food like I used to).

I am at a plateau with weight loss but I'm wondering if that is due to increase in muscle? Physically, I am thinner than I when I started and I have not gained visible muscles, not looking to build mass, just tone and define (which is finally showing). I switch up workouts every 2-3 months, any other thoughts on why I've plateaued or what I can do to get to my goal of 200lbs? I'm 6'4 and more mesomorph than endomorph...so somewhat big boned but not.

Thoughts/advice? Am I at the final weight due to muscle/strength gains?

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      02-17-2017 08:44 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by RottyB7A7 View Post
      Advice need...I've plateaued on weight loss. Back story- about a year ago I decided it was time, turned 40 and was your typical weight loss story found in a magazine. Turns out that if you devote your life to long hours in the office, unhealthy eating and no exercise (because you are absolutely drained by 8pm) will make you one out of shape guy.

I began the process of getting healthier by cutting out most bad sugars, eat lots of fruits and veggies, chicken (can't eat red meat or fish), cut out soda and plenty of other healthier food options. In addition, I joined PF and began light strength training along with cardio. Almost 11 months later I'm down 34lbs, sleeping 100% better, my back does not hurt as much and obviously my self-image has boosted. I started at 244lbs, 42in waist and am now at 210lbs, loose 36in waist.

In those months, I've increased strength training with cables and weights, less machines and increased cardio to a level that leaves me feeling completely exhausted (in a good way). As for food, I've held steady with healthy eating habits (though I do cheat occasionally, I cannot even dream of eating the junk food like I used to).

I am at a plateau with weight loss but I'm wondering if that is due to increase in muscle? Physically, I am thinner than I when I started and I have not gained visible muscles, not looking to build mass, just tone and define (which is finally showing). I switch up workouts every 2-3 months, any other thoughts on why I've plateaued or what I can do to get to my goal of 200lbs? I'm 6'4 and more mesomorph than endomorph...so somewhat big boned but not.

What's so magical about 200? My doc says he wants to see me around there but I'm 6'2". I think your weight and waist size are fine for your height. How do you feel? I'm 40 and just cut off 10 lbs down to 234 and want to stick around 220 once I get there. This is the second time I've done the 5/3/1 BBB template and lost weight but heard comments suggesting I've added muscle mass. Losing weight is slightly hurting my strength gains from last year but I'll get it back. + it'll be easier to do pull-ups and dips.
      Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Leary
      The universe is an intelligence test.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      02-17-2017 09:44 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by RottyB7A7 View Post

Very unlikely. If you are at 36" waist 210lbs, assuming you're not a Mr Universe, you are probably 20-30lbs over.

At 5'10" "standard frame", I was at 238.5, went down to 153. Even with 'trained' muscles, I would be as lean and weight like 20lbs more.

Bottom line, if you want our weigh to go down further, lower your food intake. In my experience, it works much better than relying on exercise.

4. 02-21-2017 08:31 AM #4
      Good points above, thanks. I suppose there should not be a magic number, maybe it should be more about how I'm feeling physically and appearing. I've had some comments on shoulders and arms (definition, not growth which is my goal).

Another frustration right now, given that it's winter the gym is packed. To the max with the usual suspects and on one hand I applaud anyone who is trying to lose weight/get in shape. God bless 'em, been there and am still working towards goals. But half of the New Year's resolution folks don't appear to be putting much effort in, the other half I applaud for their work and dedication. It's the young guys/girls that travel in herds and attempt to hang towels on 2-3 machines at once during rush hour gym traffic. I say "attempt" since the staff is now wondering through the cables and weights areas removing the towels. I appreciate their wanting to get a killer uninterrupted routine in but it's jam-packed until 8pm, hogging 2 or 3 machines at once ain't happening....

Thanks again!

Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      02-26-2017 11:32 PM #5
      Invest in one of these and unless you're after personalised training, forget about gym.

🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

6. 03-16-2017 02:56 AM #6
      hi
      Know your numbers. If you’ve been watching what you eat and exercising more and your weight is not budging, consult with your doctor to rule out any underlying medical conditions that could make it difficult for you to lose weight.

7. 03-16-2017 01:31 PM #7
      I agree with the poster asking what is magical about 200lb. I think body fat % is more important than scale weight anyways. If you are below 20% you are probably healthy enough.

I also wouldn't recommend too much conscious calorie cutting because it will mess with your metabolism. If you are eating healthy - whole foods with sufficient fiber, protein, and water content, it's hard to overeat anyways.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R CSG
      05-04-2017 01:11 PM #8
      From my experience working with clients (I am a health and wellness coach) there are other factors that play a huge roll in getting past that plateau. One such factor may be due to hormonal imbalances. The biggest hormonal imbalance I see with clients is excess cortisol, the stress hormone.

Chronic, low-grade stress leads to increased cortisol levels. Cortisol has been very well studied and the science shows that cortisol is fantastic and making your body hold onto body fat, especially around the mid section. I would suggest some meditation or breathing techniques to help chill out when you are feeling stressed.

Another possible factor is HOW you eat. Are you eating in a hurry? Not chewing enough? These things can affect how our bodies digest the food we are consuming.

The timing of your nutrition also plays a roll in body composition. Eating too late, eating too soon before working out, etc can affect things as well.

Losing weight is not always as simple as the energy in/ energy out equation. Keep up the hard work and either research some of the things I talked about or, (shameless plug) shoot me a PM and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

For advertising information click HERE