Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tear down

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco/70 Austin Mini/85 CJ7
      05-25-2017 10:57 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by J. Daniel View Post
      Well, I'm not laughing.
      I'm just glad to hear that you're fixing the rust the right way and your car will last a long time when you get it back together.

As for the engine, by wet do you mean water got into the cylinders? Good reason to skip that!
      That is exactly what happened. Looks like the scrap yard guys had started stripping parts before I said I want the engine, tranny and wiring harness complete. Body is still a month or so from being painted so not In a panic but an engine soon would be nice.

I am also happy to see the rusties are being repaired properly as this car will never leave the "family" so want to do it once right.

2. 05-25-2017 11:17 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by J. Daniel View Post
      Well, I'm not laughing.
      I'm just glad to hear that you're fixing the rust the right way and your car will last a long time when you get it back together.
      This.
      no one cares what you think in real life...
      how do you figure the internet makes it any better.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      05-26-2017 10:49 PM #103
      A few photos of the body work progress. Still working on smoothing things out perfectly before prime. Antennae hole in fender now filed (roof mount from here on in).

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Has anyone else found that there is a factory drain hole in the passenger foot well? Going to weld it up as I can not see the purpose other than to let moisture from the road into the car. Seems odd but is a perfectly round hole.

[IMG][/IMG]

4. Member
      Vehicles
      06-06-2017 10:07 AM #104
      After the weekend at Cincy (without my beloved Scirocco) I dropped out to the body shop to see if any progress has been made. Not as much as I would have hoped but my body guy is so anal that he wants to make sure all areas showing any signs of rust are cut out or ground down and patches of fresh steel are welded in place. Car is up on jack stands to allow access to the rear quarter areas.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Welding up the rusty bits in the two rear quarters (where some bondo from the previous repaint was discovered).

[IMG][/IMG]

Mo (my body guy) is welding up any previously drilled holes which are not needed (like the holes for the chin spoiler which i will not be reinstalling-was originally on the car when I got it but replaced it with the S airdam) and he is questioning (as am I) what these rectangular holes in the front valance were for. Does anyone know as I don't recall anything attaching here (under the chin spoiler) and just seems to leave an opening for water. He is wanting to weld them up if they serve no purpose.

[IMG][/IMG]

06-06-2017 10:31 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Brixy View Post
      ]he is questioning (as am I) what these rectangular holes in the front valance were for. Does anyone know as I don't recall anything attaching here (under the chin spoiler) and just seems to leave an opening for water. He is wanting to weld them up if they serve no purpose.

[IMG][/IMG]
      Hmm...I thought they were for nut clips for the original chin spoiler.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      55 Type 1, 1967 Singlecab, 1980 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco S, 2012 CC 4-M0, 15 Passat Tdi, 15 Tiguan
      06-06-2017 10:33 PM #106
      The regtangle holes were in fact for the original duck-bill spoiler clips you won't be needing them since you are using the S air dam.

Great progress on your body...

I am about to send My 81 S to the painter next week. Hope to have mine back in paint by Late July or early August. The goal is to drive it out of the garage completed in October.....

Ted

Vehicles
      1980 MK1 w/91 Jetta Engine, 96 Nissan 4x4
      06-07-2017 09:36 AM #107
      My car is still at the upholsterer, the glass shop called as they are waiting...

Once all that is done then I get to dump $600 into a set of pistons and begin the engine build...

Nice job on the body work - my guy did the upside very well but my undercoating kept every thing on the downside clean despite the surface rust on the body.

The hole in the floor - not seen that before except when I drilled one on a MK2 to keep the water draining out LOL
      If one's words are not better than silence, one should keep silent.
      - Kwai Chang Caine

8. Member
      Vehicles
      06-07-2017 10:27 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by scotttu View Post
      My car is still at the upholsterer, the glass shop called as they are waiting...

Once all that is done then I get to dump $600 into a set of pistons and begin the engine build...

Nice job on the body work - my guy did the upside very well but my undercoating kept every thing on the downside clean despite the surface rust on the body.

The hole in the floor - not seen that before except when I drilled one on a MK2 to keep the water draining out LOL
      Good to hear that things are progressing for you Scott. Your idea of a PO drilling a hole in the floor to dry out the carpet is probably the rational behind why this perfectly round small hole in the floor in the lowest spot. Cheers

9. Member
      Vehicles
      06-08-2017 09:03 AM #109
      One of the final pieces to the puzzle when it comes to restoring the car arrived today. Thanks to Vintage Rubber for even manufacturing these pieces let alone the fact that they included the seals for them which I had not ordered but as I understand it they now produce so it looks like they threw them in!

[IMG][/IMG]

Notice they are sitting on the brand new parcel shelf which I had ordered from Newton Commercial. Had to transfer the bars to the shelf but everything lined up perfectly (believe it or not)

Dropped out to the body shop yesterday and all the patch welding is complete so now starts the smoothing everything out. Looking forward to it being primed.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      06-09-2017 10:14 AM #110
      Checked in with my upholsterer this morning and he figures he will be done sometime next week. Anxious to see the finished product so had him shoot me a picture of them so far. This is how the Werk34 fabric looks on Corrado seats with black leather. Can't wait to see the complete interior when done.

[IMG][/IMG]

Vehicles
      3 Sciroccos, an old MG & VW A4 Bora Variant (my DD)
      06-09-2017 12:27 PM #111
      Checked in with my upholsterer this morning and he figures he will be done sometime next week. Anxious to see the finished product so had him shoot me a picture of them so far. This is how the Werk34 fabric looks on Corrado seats with black leather. Can't wait to see the complete interior when done.

[IMG][/IMG]
      Those front seats look Awesome with that materal on them I'm looking forward to seeing your Scirocco in person someday
      Current :
      02 Bora SW 1.8T (AWP), 88 S2 16v (9A), 80 S1 Storm (EG), 78 S1 (PL 16V), 54 MG TF (XPAG)
      Past :
      04 Seat Leon (1.6 8v), 88 VW S2 16v, 80 VW Caddy (16V), 88 VW S2 16v, 80 Porsche 931 turbo S, 77 VW Rabbit, 56 VW Käfer : personal import from Germany (the 1 that I miss the most)

12. Member
      Vehicles
      06-12-2017 10:51 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by California 16v View Post
      Those front seats look Awesome with that materal on them I'm looking forward to seeing your Scirocco in person someday
      Thanks. If you come out to Cincy next year the car should be finally done by then (just a year behind schedule!)

13. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2017 10:26 AM #113
      Dropped out to the body shop on the way home and the car is up on the hoist now as Mo finishes up repairing the rusty areas on the bottom of the car.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

He is feeling that by the weekend she might actually get primed and my upholsterer called yesterday to say by the end of the week the seats will be ready for PU.

Still have not found an engine to replace the 1.8 from the 92 golf which was in the car (as the Beetle 1.8T engine from the scrap yard fell through). Really debating whether I should keep life simple and just clean up the 1.8 and leave it essentially original.

Vehicles
      1980 MK1 w/91 Jetta Engine, 96 Nissan 4x4
      06-14-2017 01:10 PM #114
      Still have not found an engine to replace the 1.8 from the 92 golf which was in the car (as the Beetle 1.8T engine from the scrap yard fell through). Really debating whether I should keep life simple and just clean up the 1.8 and leave it essentially original.

My car has been at my upholsterer for 3 weeks, told him to take his time LOL

As for the motor, nothing wrong with that 1.8, same motor I will be running (Except mine is 92 Cabriolet with intake pointing towards drivers side).
      If one's words are not better than silence, one should keep silent.
      - Kwai Chang Caine

15. 06-17-2017 02:38 PM #115
      My 81 has a 1.8 JH. It's fun as hell. Just enough power to be fun. Not a monster, but it's a canyon/mountain road carver. I've got a G-grind cam, and full exhaust. All I need.
      1981 Scirocco
      2014 New Beetle Convertible
      2006 Rabbit

Vehicles
      5 x Scirocco 1, 2 x Golf 1, 1 x cabrio 1
      06-17-2017 10:18 PM #116
      One of the final pieces to the puzzle when it comes to restoring the car arrived today.

[IMG][/IMG]

Notice they are sitting on the brand new parcel shelf which I had ordered from Newton Commercial. Had to transfer the bars to the shelf but everything lined up perfectly (believe it or not)
      Good to hear the parcel shelf fit up was 100% . Have documented all the support bar measurements to be able to reproduce those if in need.

Waiting to see the paint
      If it aint a Mk1 then it's a donor....
      Brownrocco resto thread....http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f55/...esto-2339.html
      Blueroc build... http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...y-from-America

17. Member
      Vehicles
      06-19-2017 09:10 AM #117
      Pickup my seats on Friday and am very pleased with the work. Decided to have the areas not the red striped fabric done in black leather.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Doing this I ended up with almost 2 of the 4 meters ordered being left over. So if anyone is going to order this from Werk34 you might reconsider following their recommended 4 meter order quantity.

[IMG][/IMG]

On the upside I now have extra fabric to stash away in case there is ever an issue with stains or rips.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      06-19-2017 09:14 AM #118
      Even though I am anxiously awaiting the return of my Scirocco I can at least look down upon the car in miniature form.

[IMG][/IMG]

and just to complete the collection I have spent many enjoyable hours with my model loving daughter building the rest of my car collection in model form:

[IMG][/IMG]

1985 CJ7

[IMG][/IMG]

I970 Austin Mini

[IMG][/IMG]

19. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      06-19-2017 09:49 AM #119
      Those seats are fantastic! I can't wait to see the overall finished project
      Work: it works, ibtches.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      06-19-2017 10:18 AM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by echassin View Post
      Those seats are fantastic! I can't wait to see the overall finished project
      Thanks Eric. I should have mentioned for those who have keen eyes I had the upholsterer split the rear sear by cutting the foam down the middle creating what appears to be 2 independent seats instead of the bench style rear seat which was original to the MK1's.

Hoping when I drop out the body shop today that he car is in primer finally. Fingers Crossed.

21. 06-19-2017 10:55 PM #121
      Doing this I ended up with almost 2 of the 4 meters ordered being left over. So if anyone is going to order this from Werk34 you might reconsider following their recommended 4 meter order quantity.
      My own 4-meter shipment just came in (I wanted extra)
      One thing that threw me, there are 3 striped sections width-wise, with stripes along each edge, so that you only end up with two narrow black sections in the middle.
      Based on the NOS Rabbit GTI cloth I have, I would have expected only two striped sections in the middle, with a generous black border along each edge. Weird.
      So you'll end up with odd cuts of material.

To do the seats correctly, you would need another length of all-black fabric for the wide black sections.
      Or, do them in a different material altogether - like black leather.

I should have mentioned for those who have keen eyes I had the upholsterer split the rear sear by cutting the foam down the middle creating what appears to be 2 independent seats instead of the bench style rear seat which was original to the MK1's.
      I noticed. I was about to ask you if had a rare split folding seat option
      You've effectively made them look like Mk2 folding rear sections.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      06-20-2017 09:28 AM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by DiezNutz View Post
      My own 4-meter shipment just came in (I wanted extra)
      One thing that threw me, there are 3 striped sections width-wise, with stripes along each edge, so that you only end up with two narrow black sections in the middle.
      Based on the NOS Rabbit GTI cloth I have, I would have expected only two striped sections in the middle, with a generous black border along each edge. Weird.
      So you'll end up with odd cuts of material.

To do the seats correctly, you would need another length of all-black fabric for the wide black sections.
      Or, do them in a different material altogether - like black leather.

I noticed. I was about to ask you if had a rare split folding seat option
      You've effectively made them look like Mk2 folding rear sections.
      It does seem odd the way that they run the fabric. I think if you tried to replicate the original with the black material running up the edges of the striped sections that there wouldn't be enough black but an over abundance of striped fabric

23. 06-20-2017 10:40 PM #123
      It does seem odd the way that they run the fabric. I think if you tried to replicate the original with the black material running up the edges of the striped sections that there wouldn't be enough black but an over abundance of striped fabric
      Right. That's why I'm saying it would require some all-black cloth... especially for the center section of the back seat.
      Makes you wonder if they didn't also have a supply of that back in the day.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345