KilometerMagazine.com - Passat BT tuning help needed
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Vehicles
      2003 B5.5 Passat, 2013 B7 Passat (hers)
      03-12-2017 12:06 PM #1
      Working on building my Passat over the winter and have a few questions with hope someone on here could send me in the right direction.

Here are the specs:

1.8T AWM block with IE rods
      AEB Head with Autotech cams
      IE Intake manifold
      2.7T TB
      IE Fuel rail with 4bar FPR
      AEM High-Flow in tank fuel pump
      VR6 MAF
      GTX3071R turbo on SPA manifold
      750CC EV14 injectors with Motoza custom tune

When i start the car it runs fine. A/F ratio is right at 14.7. As soon as i touch gas pedal car dies because A/F is way too rich and car doesn't have time to learn itself again.
      Originally i had 3" MAF housing with stock sensor in it so i switched it to VR6 because i thought it was too close to the turbo and turbulence of air was confusing the sensor. Now VR MAF has air mesh at least to help with that but still does the same thing.

Did anyone run into this issue? I have sent a log to have tune refined but only at idle as i cant get one while driving because car just dies. I can try to upload the latest log if that helps.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jebiga!

2. 03-13-2017 04:15 AM #2
      is the Motoza custom tune u have, written for the 750cc injectors at 4bar with a 3' MAF? Confirmed?

Vehicles
      03-13-2017 05:53 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by rogerius View Post
      is the Motoza custom tune u have, written for the 750cc injectors at 4bar with a 3' MAF? Confirmed?
      Yes we checked that as well, i even tried swapping it over to Unitronic 630cc tune from my previous build and it does the same thing.
      Jebiga!

Vehicles
      03-16-2017 05:54 PM #4
      Anyone else care to chime in?
      Jebiga!

Vehicles
      03 Jazz Blue 20th, '07 Rabbit 4DR, '16 Golf Sportwagen 1.8TSI
      03-17-2017 07:34 AM #5
      Have you allowed it to get up to operating temperature and see how it does then? Also, have you tried seeing what your corrections are like without the MAF plugged in? (at operating temp of course)

I'm still working on the tune for my setup on the 630cc EV14 injectors, but have always had warmup fueling issues to work through. I know a lot of people say you don't need to touch those maps if your injectors are calibrated correctly, but there are a lot of posts on places like NefMoto suggesting that the EV14 injectors do need work to get warmup correct.

I would start with ensuring that your injectors are calibrated correctly and go from there. I found that I had to adjust my BVC values a decent amount from the data sheet that I received with my injectors to get them truly dialed in. Wish I could be of more help. This is something I'm hoping to work on for my setup before Wookies if the weather ever starts to cooperate...
      1.8T AWP : IE rods : PPT Vband GT2871R : 630cc Bosch Motorsport EV14 injectors : TT225MAF: Bosch HFFP : Eurodyne Maestro

Vehicles
      03-17-2017 08:44 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by flat6turboGT1 View Post
      Have you allowed it to get up to operating temperature and see how it does then? Also, have you tried seeing what your corrections are like without the MAF plugged in? (at operating temp of course)

I'm still working on the tune for my setup on the 630cc EV14 injectors, but have always had warmup fueling issues to work through. I know a lot of people say you don't need to touch those maps if your injectors are calibrated correctly, but there are a lot of posts on places like NefMoto suggesting that the EV14 injectors do need work to get warmup correct.

I would start with ensuring that your injectors are calibrated correctly and go from there. I found that I had to adjust my BVC values a decent amount from the data sheet that I received with my injectors to get them truly dialed in. Wish I could be of more help. This is something I'm hoping to work on for my setup before Wookies if the weather ever starts to cooperate...
      Yea i start it up and get it warm to temp idling. It will run forever until i touch gas pedal. As soon as i touched it car goes crazy rich and dies I tried it both ways with MAF plugged in or unplugged. When i unplug the MAF the car will not even run. It tries to teach itself without the MAF but shortly it dies.
      Every start up is normal as long as pedal is not pressed. I dont know why it would do that. I dont know if TB would be doing it or not. Next thing is to try swapping TB and see what happens but when i look it is perfectly aligned and works fine via vagcom.
      Jebiga!

Vehicles
      03-17-2017 08:51 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Nesho View Post
      Yea i start it up and get it warm to temp idling. It will run forever until i touch gas pedal. As soon as i touched it car goes crazy rich and dies I tried it both ways with MAF plugged in or unplugged. When i unplug the MAF the car will not even run. It tries to teach itself without the MAF but shortly it dies.
      Every start up is normal as long as pedal is not pressed. I dont know why it would do that. I dont know if TB would be doing it or not. Next thing is to try swapping TB and see what happens but when i look it is perfectly aligned and works fine via vagcom.
      A TB change would definitely throw off your tune. It sounds like something is not calibrated correctly. Is the tune also set for 4 bar? If it's for those injectors but at 3 bar that will also throw it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1.8T AWP : IE rods : PPT Vband GT2871R : 630cc Bosch Motorsport EV14 injectors : TT225MAF: Bosch HFFP : Eurodyne Maestro

8. 03-18-2017 04:28 AM #8
      The bay and engine look both very clean, nice!!

Did you modify or reloacted/removed any wiring? It might be your TB is sending a wrong signal to the ECU causing it to dump fuel into the cylinders? I'd swap an Original TB on there to see what happens then.
      How are your plugs and coils?
      When you unplug the lambda, does it do the same?

Vehicles
      03-18-2017 06:01 PM #9
      A TB change would definitely throw off your tune. It sounds like something is not calibrated correctly. Is the tune also set for 4 bar? If it's for those injectors but at 3 bar that will also throw it off.

I was thinking swapping on same size TB just to see if I have faulty one. Its new but still i dont know, thats the only thing i havent changed. Tune is set for 4bar fpr and thats whats on fuel rail now.

Quote Originally Posted by CorrieG60 View Post
      The bay and engine look both very clean, nice!!

Did you modify or reloacted/removed any wiring? It might be your TB is sending a wrong signal to the ECU causing it to dump fuel into the cylinders? I'd swap an Original TB on there to see what happens then.
      How are your plugs and coils?
      When you unplug the lambda, does it do the same?
      Thanks, we moved only what was deleted with the tune like secondary air pump, n75 valve and rear lambda sensor as you call it, everything else was not touched. I put in new set of plugs and coils twice now.
      I got it up to temp today without touching pedal and unplugged lambda. Car just runs rougher and same thing happens once pedal is pressed.
      Jebiga!

Vehicles
      03-19-2017 10:35 AM #10
      I would cover off all the basics. Make sure everything mechanically
      Is fine. Bay is looking great BTW!

From there I'd find out exactly what configuration your tune is written for. I just noticed in the pic it looks like you have an aftermarket intake manifold as well. That also will throw off a tune if it is written for a stock intake manifold.

Keep us posted on this. Not too familiar with Motoza but just read up on their site. I've basically forced myself to learn to tune via Maestro over the last year or so because I wanted to run all these nice injectors and other bits that no one supports in their off the shelf tunes. It would be nice to know your file can be dialed in to work with everything you have on the car, but after learning all the subtleties required to get my car where it is id be surprised if you don't have some work ahead of you to get your file right

Vehicles
      03-19-2017 12:30 PM #11
      I would cover off all the basics. Make sure everything mechanically
      Is fine. Bay is looking great BTW!

From there I'd find out exactly what configuration your tune is written for. I just noticed in the pic it looks like you have an aftermarket intake manifold as well. That also will throw off a tune if it is written for a stock intake manifold.

Keep us posted on this. Not too familiar with Motoza but just read up on their site. I've basically forced myself to learn to tune via Maestro over the last year or so because I wanted to run all these nice injectors and other bits that no one supports in their off the shelf tunes. It would be nice to know your file can be dialed in to work with everything you have on the car, but after learning all the subtleties required to get my car where it is id be surprised if you don't have some work ahead of you to get your file right

Thanks man, im leaning towards Maestro as well. Im sure this tune can be dialed in to where it needs to be but with tuner being so busy its impossible to keep going on it. Back and fourth communication is great and their willingness to help is outstanding but i just want to drive this thing.
      I did check all the basics and everything is working. It is Integrated Engineering intake manifold and i have Autotech cams. I know all of that will throw the tune off but all of that was initially there when we started.
      They have great reviews and that was why i went with them. I have zero knowledge in Maestro but it looks like i will have to figure it out soon. haha
      Jebiga!

12. 03-19-2017 02:10 PM #12
      I think your problem is in the TB..
      What you can try: remove the TB(without disconnecting is) and look at the throttle valve to see what that is doing as soon as you press the pedal(of course engine not running but ignition switched on). Otherwise, try another TB

Vehicles
      03-19-2017 09:25 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by CorrieG60 View Post
      I think your problem is in the TB..
      What you can try: remove the TB(without disconnecting is) and look at the throttle valve to see what that is doing as soon as you press the pedal(of course engine not running but ignition switched on). Otherwise, try another TB
      I will give that a try tomorrow. I dont need to remove TB itself, just intake pipe. Thanks!
      Jebiga!

Vehicles
      03-19-2017 09:54 PM #14
      Might seem obvious but ...have you done a TB alignment since flashing the car?

15. 03-20-2017 09:38 AM #15
      I will ask: do you have any logs to show?

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 08:54 PM #16
      Might seem obvious but ...have you done a TB alignment since flashing the car?

I have, went back and checked multiple times and it was aligned.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerius View Post
      I will ask: do you have any logs to show?
      I do have a log but not sure how to upload excel file up here?
      Jebiga!

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Jazz Blue VR6 Jetta
      03-29-2017 10:18 PM #17
      Hey! Is your car at Sam's in Bow?? It looks familiar.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Jazz Blue VR6 Jetta
      03-30-2017 03:53 AM #18
      Who I plan to use for my Passat build
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/1682063412023382/
      He's a pro who uses Eurodyne Maestro 7

Vehicles
      04-01-2017 04:28 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by SmooVTEX View Post
      Hey! Is your car at Sam's in Bow?? It looks familiar.

Thats the one. Yours is silver wagon?
      Jebiga!

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Jazz Blue VR6 Jetta
      04-01-2017 04:47 PM #20
      Yes, thx for selling me the exhaust!

For advertising information click HERE