KilometerMagazine.com - 2006 MKV Jetta 2.0T Premium 7 Upgrade
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1. 03-12-2017 09:03 PM #1
      Hey all, been looking into this for a long time. Got the OEM Prem7 radio with 6-disc built-in CD player and Sat. I've install the Blitzsafe Aux jack kit myself for audio. Now I'm looking for Bluetooth. However, since this is 7+ yrs old, the lower buttons (Treb/Base/Middle/Fader) have all cracked. I've decided rather than install a kit, just replace the head unit.

So I'm looking for info and recommendations on units to install. I have no back up cam, review mirror and turning around to look behind has worked wonders, and have not activated the Sat radio. I don't want to loose the Sat in case I do decide to use it. This is all factory OEM gear. I want a unit that has Aux jack, nav system, Bluetooth, and will work with my steering control. I'd like to be able to stream music via Bluetooth, but the Aux will work if not. CD Changer is not need, just has to be able to play MP3 disc.

Hence I looked into the following:

OEM RCD510 and RNS510, but I understand that neither have Sat and Aux is wired separate.
      ECSTuning has the Android 8" unit, but neither has the Aux jack on the front. Bluetooth compatible but can't stream.
      Pioneer AVH-X490BS seem to have all but again Aux is separate wired and does not say if compatible with OEM Sat radio receiver. Also have to buy Nav receiver separate I think?
      Kenwood DNX773S or DNX573S, again same as the others. stream Bluetooth but nothing said about Nav receiver.

And sry if this is not in the right forum section

2. Member
      Southern California (San Fernando Valley)
      Vehicles
      2014 Volkswagen Jetta S 2.0L
      03-13-2017 04:28 AM #2
      I have the Kenwood DNX773S. Note, any Kenwood where the receiver has "DNXxxx" on it, Has navigation built in the unit (Garmin, it says it on every product). And Front Nav is a hassle and lets people know there is an aftermarket. One in the back you can hide you device!

Mobile Electronic installer MECP CEA223010 Advanced Cert

3. 03-13-2017 09:05 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by MarkeyseJMundy View Post
      I have the Kenwood DNX773S. Note, any Kenwood where the receiver has "DNXxxx" on it, Has navigation built in the unit (Garmin, it says it on every product). And Front Nav is a hassle and lets people know there is an aftermarket. One in the back you can hide you device!

Do you have the OEM Sat receiver in you VW? If so did you connect it and does it work or did you have to get a different receiver?

I'm really not worried about other knowing there's and aftermarket radio. Almost everything under the hood is aftermarket. Plus I wired my Blitzsafe, converting the RCA audio to a 3.5mm surface mount jack to the front of the trim so it look clean and smooth. Almost looks factory. Will add pics of what I have.

Edit* Here's the pics:

You can see the Aux jack that I installed here.

Here are the buttons that cracked. Nothing hit them and they all still light up and work.

Back of the unit you can see the connections.

The wire. If I recall correctly the Blitzsafe is connected where the blue connector is. That's why my Sat doesn't work.
      Last edited by cirus02; 03-13-2017 at 09:39 AM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      03-14-2017 03:03 AM #4
      SO with a lot of factory options, the SiriusXM may be built into the radio itself, so you lose the feature when you change the deck. You can tell because one of those two ANT. plugs you're holding is the SiriusXM ANT, meaning that it is built in.

But all is not lost. If you get a deck like the DNX773S, you can get the SiriusXM Tuner module and it plugs DIRECTLY into the deck. There is a port for any deck that is "SiriusXM Ready", and you don't even need to run power. Just the ANT (Preferred to run the ANT outside, since inside will reduce your range as the SXM ANT isn't as strong as an GPS ANT).

Now talking about ANT, you can go to Maestro iDatalink Site and get the SXM ANT adapter, and save yourself some time and just run it to the factory ANT.

5. 03-16-2017 08:08 PM #5
      I was just going to ask if I could use the factory antenna. Thanks for the info. The Kenwood has just moved up on my list

Btw I noted that you said it has Garmin nav. What about the GPS antenna for that? Does it come with the unit? If so can that be mounted in the trunk like the Sirius antenna?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by cirus02; 03-16-2017 at 08:12 PM.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2017 03:26 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by cirus02 View Post
      I was just going to ask if I could use the factory antenna. Thanks for the info. The Kenwood has just moved up on my list

Btw I noted that you said it has Garmin nav. What about the GPS antenna for that? Does it come with the unit? If so can that be mounted in the trunk like the Sirius antenna?

Yes it does. It can be mounted, but unlike the SiriusXM ANT, you can mount it alamost anywhere in the vehicle as long as there isn't a piece of metal obstructing it. Think like your phone. So it doesn't have to be outside like the SiriusXM Ant is!

7. 03-18-2017 05:00 AM #7
      Ah but, my SiriusXM is mounted inside the trunk. Unless the sat antenna is mounted on top when the fm antenna under the plastic. Also since its unplug, both antenna wires and 2 4-wire blade plugs, the radio says no sat radio when I select it.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      03-18-2017 05:53 AM #8
      Your SXM could lose range and drop out more inside the trunk. And yes the signal if you unplug the factory ANT will say that because it won't get a signal.

9. 03-18-2017 08:25 PM #9
      Thank for the info. Just a few more questions:
      Did you have any problems with the battery drain? I've noticed that many have had this issue and recommend connecting to the AC convenience wires.
      Does your steering wheel interface work with this unit or did you need an adapter harness?
      With the iDataLink SXM Ant Adapter, how many come in a pack? As you can see from my pics there are 2 antenna wires and both connect to the antenna in my trunk.
      On the back of the DNX773S I see the 3.5mm jack for iPod/AV-In and Mic. To the left of Mic there is another jack next to a 4pin plug labeled iDatalink. What is it?

If the Sat Ant could lose range, why did the Factory install it in the trunk. I'll get some pics of it soon.

I've been doing some more checking. from what I understand the steering wheel control works communicates via a 3.5mm jack. Is that correct?
      Last edited by cirus02; 03-18-2017 at 09:16 PM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      03-19-2017 05:27 AM #10
      Thank for the info. Just a few more questions:
      Did you have any problems with the battery drain? I've noticed that many have had this issue and recommend connecting to the AC convenience wires.
      What's that? You mean the Air Conditioner line? NEVER connect to that!!! I mean there shouldn't be any battery drain, and barely any extra load even when it's on.

Now if you having battery drain, you have to check all options. Also check you charging system (Your battery and your alternator). If one of those are bad they will bring down your system.

Does your steering wheel interface work with this unit or did you need an adapter harness?
      You need a module. The Pac part and the the Maestro will have it baked in the interface already. Metra you'll need to add the ASWC.

With the iDataLink SXM Ant Adapter, how many come in a pack? As you can see from my pics there are 2 antenna wires and both connect to the antenna in my trunk.
      There is only one. Sometimes there is two just for the factory ANT. You may need the Metra 40-EU56

On the back of the DNX773S I see the 3.5mm jack for iPod/AV-In and Mic. To the left of Mic there is another jack next to a 4pin plug labeled iDatalink. What is it?
      The Maestro port is an data port that you can add the iDatalink Maestro RR to the unit, where it passes CAN-BUS data to the radio. So check engine lights, doors open, RPM, Odometer, Speedometer, etc, on the radio itself. It can even control AC controls, factory BT, Factory SXM, etc if the car supports it on the data line. Not all cars work with the RR .

If the Sat Ant could lose range, why did the Factory install it in the trunk. I'll get some pics of it soon.
      You mean the factory or the "Dealership". The Factory isn't the Dealer. All ANT should be on top of the roof or trunklid for VW. Anywhere other than that isn't factory.

I've been doing some more checking. from what I understand the steering wheel control works communicates via a 3.5mm jack. Is that correct?
      Yes and no. If you have Kenwood or JVC, you gonna connect it to the Blue/Yellow Wire on the deck harness.
      Last edited by MarkeyseJMundy; 03-19-2017 at 05:34 AM.

11. 03-19-2017 09:03 PM #11
      Here the Sirius Sat that came with the car. When I search for the Part number, all references come up as a receiver. This pic doesn't show, but the 8-pin blade plug (left) has 5 wires running to it. The 8-pin stacked plug (center) has 2 wires leading to it. Then there are the 2 Antenna wires.

This is what has me confused since the a Sat radio only needs one antenna wire. By But the back of the h ad unit does not have a standard FM antenna plug. FM still works even though I disconnected both wires from the sat receiver. I think the other wires must provide power, ground and communication to the head unit. Whether factory or dealership installed, it is OEM equip and came with the car when I purchased it new from a dealer.

Last edited by cirus02; 03-20-2017 at 11:01 AM.

12. 03-20-2017 10:58 AM #12
      I should note that on the back is the can-bus, the blue plug runs to the sat receiver in the trunk. This is replaced by the white plug from the Blitzsafe. The special y adapter is installed and links the white and blue together. But this only works if the sat has been activated.

Edited*

I should correct what I stated before. The information in the service repair manual states that the shark fin is the sat antenna. The Sat Receiver\Tuner is in the trunk. The Sat is the blue plug on the Can-Bus, only using 3 wires. This is why my unit says No Sat Radio since it is disconnected from the back. The Sirius Tuner would connect to the round port labeled EXT I/F on the back to the right.

The FM antenna is part of the rear window and it does come up to the head unit. This is where the 2 plugs (FAKRA) are, left and right FM. Now knowing the FM antenna location and setup, this is where the Metra 40-EU56 comes in to play. This will be needed to combine the left and right FM antenna FAKRA plug to a standard or aftermarket antenna plug. Otherwise you will not have any FM reception.

I've been reading the install manual for the Kenwood, the OEM Can-Bus is useless as well as the amplifier. There are harnesses made by Axxess that can be used to connect the ASWC module. There are many to choose from as most say 2002 Jetta Double-Bin only and 2003 & up. The iDatalink Maestro Rr sounds more easily to chose and has a VW1 harness that connects everything. My only concern is still whether or not I can use the OEM Sirius tuner.
      Last edited by cirus02; 03-20-2017 at 02:22 PM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      03-21-2017 06:22 AM #13
      I should note that on the back is the can-bus, the blue plug runs to the sat receiver in the trunk. This is replaced by the white plug from the Blitzsafe. The special y adapter is installed and links the white and blue together. But this only works if the sat has been activated.

Edited*

I should correct what I stated before. The information in the service repair manual states that the shark fin is the sat antenna. The Sat Receiver\Tuner is in the trunk. The Sat is the blue plug on the Can-Bus, only using 3 wires. This is why my unit says No Sat Radio since it is disconnected from the back. The Sirius Tuner would connect to the round port labeled EXT I/F on the back to the right.

The FM antenna is part of the rear window and it does come up to the head unit. This is where the 2 plugs (FAKRA) are, left and right FM. Now knowing the FM antenna location and setup, this is where the Metra 40-EU56 comes in to play. This will be needed to combine the left and right FM antenna FAKRA plug to a standard or aftermarket antenna plug. Otherwise you will not have any FM reception.

I've been reading the install manual for the Kenwood, the OEM Can-Bus is useless as well as the amplifier. There are harnesses made by Axxess that can be used to connect the ASWC module. There are many to choose from as most say 2002 Jetta Double-Bin only and 2003 & up. The iDatalink Maestro Rr sounds more easily to chose and has a VW1 harness that connects everything. My only concern is still whether or not I can use the OEM Sirius tuner.
      Don't overthink it.

The 40-EU56 works great (thought I don't listen to the radio much)

The Maestro will connect to your CAN-BUS and turn the deck on, as well as put info on the screen! And it may can use the factory SXM tuner. But I would get the aftermarket (besides on the Kenwood unit, you can rewind audio!)

For advertising information click HERE