Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Vehicles
      15 Jetta SE
      03-16-2017 02:06 AM #1
      Since I can't seem to find an active Jeep forum to get answers on I thought I'd try here.

Currently have an 07 Silverado classic regular cab 2 wheel drive with the 4.3 v6 and 231k miles on it. Unfortunately it needs about 1400 in parts alone (rockauto pricing) and since its a regular cab my famimy has outgrown it. Having a hard time justifying dumping that kind of cash into something that doesnt suit our needs and is only probably worth a little more than that.

Here's where the cherokee comes in.

I have a line on an 85 cherokee (wagoneer) that I might be able to pick up really cheap assuming my boss gets the abandoned title on it.

It has the 2.8 v6, which isnt ideal, but from tossing a jump box on it and spraying some starting fluid in the carb, it fired right up and ran well on its own until I shut it off. No one else knows it actually runs.

I drove it around the lot a bit but couldnt seem to get the transmissiob to shift. Probably because I couldnt get going quick enough to warrant a shift.

The 4x4 selector seemed to move more freely than expected so Im guessing something needs to be adjusted with linkage and from what I can gather vacuum plays a large part in this as well?

Needs a few other things like a transmission pan gasket, and the passenger front window doesnt roll up. Can clearly hear the motor trying, but i think maybe the gear is broken.

Trying to get more info and see if its worth it since jeep is foreign to me.

Pics for clicks:

Current: 2015 Jetta
      Previous: 84 Jetta, 00 Jetta TDI, 04 Frontier, 05 Tacoma, 01 Jetta, 05 GTI, 85 Jetta, 06 Tacoma, 81 Rabbit, 81 Rabbit, 86 GTI, 86 325e, 89 GLI, 99 Jetta, 73 Stupid Beetle, 89 GTI 16V, 92 Jetta, 74 F250, 86 325es, 77 MGB, 73 C10, 06 MCS, 11 Silverado, 13 Silverado, 13 GLI

Vehicles
      Driver, wheeler, braaap, some pedals, and a wifemobile
      03-16-2017 02:22 AM #2
      By "really cheap", do you mean sub-$500? Anything more would be too much for this example IMO.

Vehicles
      15 Jetta SE
      03-16-2017 02:27 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      By "really cheap", do you mean sub-$500? Anything more would be too much for this example IMO.
      Only way I would buy it is if it came sub 500. I expect 200 to 400 range.

Vehicles
      Driver, wheeler, braaap, some pedals, and a wifemobile
      03-16-2017 02:51 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by urbancynic View Post
      Only way I would buy it is if it came sub 500. I expect 200 to 400 range.
      Cool, might as well go for it then.

That 2.8l V6 is the engine from an GM S10/S15 truck, it's not very powerful but simple and easy to work on. It will do the job.

The trans is a Chrysler 3 speed auto, get it warmed up and see how/if it shifts. If there are issues dump the fluid and swap it, maybe do a trans flush if you believe in that sort of thing. Then chase down issues. Most of the time it's just low or old fluid that causes issues unless something is physically broken.

The transfer case linkage was pretty simple mechanical linkage. Look under the car, something may have come loose. Vacuum is for the front axle disconnect... Get the transfer case to shift first, then see if the vacuum disconnect works. It's not a hard fix either way though.

Vehicles
      swedish POS, one of 341 made, Montego blue 5M LSD NA.
      03-16-2017 03:41 AM #5
      Are you doing this to garage the Jetta and use it as a weekend car ?

Go for it if cheap enough The only major issue with XJs (Unibody rust) is irrelevant due to your location. expect teens MPG with that engine/drivetrain
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

6. Junior Member VR6Passat4motion's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat VR6 4motion
      03-16-2017 08:55 AM #6
      Worst case scenario, play with it a little and and see if you can make it work for you. If not...part it out! The nose looks like its been replaced recently. You could recoup your purchase price from these parts alone! As long as you buy it at $500 or under. Which is what it is worth. My daughter bought a $600 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/250k on it. I put $1,000 into it and its been a GREAT first car! 4WD works and had new brakes and tires!

Vehicles
      15 Jetta SE
      03-16-2017 09:41 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      Are you doing this to garage the Jetta and use it as a weekend car ?

Go for it if cheap enough The only major issue with XJs (Unibody rust) is irrelevant due to your location. expect teens MPG with that engine/drivetrain
      Were doing it because where we live gets snow and ice. The jetta is ok in snow but the ice usually gets thick and very rough to the point the jetta doesnt have enough ground clearance for it.

Also because the jetta cant handle mud at all which makes it impossible to visit my in laws if its rained or snowed recently.

In our part of the state we actually get weather. Lol

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec with Dan in the passenger seat
      03-16-2017 09:51 AM #8
      If you're going to do a 4.0L/242 swap then sure. Go for it.

If not, then I see this being more of a headache of ownership. There is nothing overly "great" about the XJ other than the drivetrain and its compact size for off-road use.

Inside it's cramped, typical Chrysler b.s. otherwise. The later 4.0L HO and drivetrain makes it a beauty to own.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '97 M3, '92 GTI project
      03-16-2017 10:06 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      If you're going to do a 4.0L/242 swap then sure. Go for it.

If not, then I see this being more of a headache of ownership. There is nothing overly "great" about the XJ other than the drivetrain and its compact size for off-road use.

Inside it's cramped, typical Chrysler b.s. otherwise. The later 4.0L HO and drivetrain makes it a beauty to own.
      Actually, Chrysler wasn't yet in the picture when OP's '85 was built. It was a hodgepodge of AMC, Renault, and GM parts. In the XJ's case, a Chrysler-built one is a GOOD thing, since they upgraded a lot of stuff over the years, and it is those years which cemented the XJ as a reliable bastard.

I fail to see why the '85 wouldn't also need "more repairs than it's worth" - which is the reason for OP getting rid of the Silverado - the equipment and condition make this one a terrible buy, even at sub-$500. Even a Renix 4.0L at $1,000 is a much better buy.

Vehicles
      '04 Yukon XL Denali
      03-16-2017 10:19 AM #10
      I have had three XJs, 1990, 1996, 1998, all with the 4.0L six (I know this one is the 2.8 V-6). I personally like them, they are simple, easy to work on, durable with normal maintenance. I had a 1990 S-10 2.8L, so assuming it is similar to that, the motor is probably okay, but will not be anything to write home about. If you are hands-on, this may not be too bad, but it better be cheap. Even being in AZ, I would do a thorough rust check, no point in dumping money into a rustbucket. If the header panel was replaced, why? Front impact? If so, better check frame horns and radiator support area.

OP mentions around $1400 in parts for his current truck. If he can spend $1400 and wants an XJ, I would suggest looking at something $1000-1200, then do fluid changes and tune up. Might be less 'nickel and dimey' than this one.
      2002 Harley Fat Boy, 2004 Yukon XL Denali, 1993 F-250

Vehicles
      03-16-2017 10:26 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Actually, Chrysler wasn't yet in the picture when OP's '85 was built. It was a hodgepodge of AMC, Renault, and GM parts. In the XJ's case, a Chrysler-built one is a GOOD thing, since they upgraded a lot of stuff over the years, and it is those years which cemented the XJ as a reliable bastard.
      No, I know. I was speaking of XJ's in General overall when I made the Chrysler comment as it covers the majority of them. The trans was **** in the early ones too.

I would avoid an early (pre 89) XJ as well as any pre 91 YJ's. I would also avoid any engine other than the 4.0L personally.

That's why I suggested, unless you're going to 4.0 swap it I wouldn't even get into it. Or maybe use it as some pos field truck.

XJ's aren't THAT expensive and you could save money by buying a later model that's better outfitted if the intent is for it to be reliable and roadworthy.
      Last edited by Cousin Eddie; 03-16-2017 at 10:32 AM.
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Vehicles
      15 Jetta SE
      03-16-2017 10:30 AM #12
      I have no issues wrenching myself. From what I can gather thr 2.8 in this is the same as the 2.8 youd get in the s10. The 3.4 v6 from the s10 and camaro is supposed to be a direct swap and gains a bit more power.

Ithis seemed attractive to me because the same parts that racked up 1400 on the chevy, only amount to about 350 on the jeep. The jeep also has a back seat that should fit my 7 year old, and maintains the truck stance that we like having in the silverado.

Ideally itd have the 4.0 but since I'm looking through our impound lot its kind of a case of beggars cant be choosers.

Trying to keep it cheap since we're saving for a house and from what Ive been told we're better off not buying a newer vehicle that meets our needs before then. Therefore a cheap vehicle like this just needs to get us by for a bit.

Vehicles
      03-16-2017 10:35 AM #13
      Trying to keep it cheap since we're saving for a house and from what Ive been told we're better off not buying a newer vehicle that meets our needs before then. Therefore a cheap vehicle like this just needs to get us by for a bit.
      If that's the case I would think a bank loan of $10K at ~$200 monthly payment for a newer 4cyl car would be far cheaper than trying to keep old junk patched up and on the road. The fuel savings in comparison alone would be substantial. I know you don't want to tie up funds but month to month fuel + parts will eat up funds pretty quickly on old trucks.

14. 03-16-2017 10:45 AM #14
      Let's see, you don't want to invest $1400 into your 10 year old truck, so you want to get a 30+ year old heap that is sitting in some discarded junk pile? Even if you got it for free, it will cost you more than $1400 to get it roadworthy. . Don't buy this car , even if it's free.
      Last edited by woodenSpoon; 03-16-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Vehicles
      '04 Yukon XL Denali
      03-16-2017 10:48 AM #15
      I have no issues wrenching myself. From what I can gather thr 2.8 in this is the same as the 2.8 youd get in the s10. The 3.4 v6 from the s10 and camaro is supposed to be a direct swap and gains a bit more power.

Ithis seemed attractive to me because the same parts that racked up 1400 on the chevy, only amount to about 350 on the jeep. The jeep also has a back seat that should fit my 7 year old, and maintains the truck stance that we like having in the silverado.

Ideally itd have the 4.0 but since I'm looking through our impound lot its kind of a case of beggars cant be choosers.

Four people can fit (sorta) comfortably in an XJ, we used our '98 for two 400+ mile (one way) trips with three of us and luggage and no issues. The only other thing I would point out is that you would be dealing a 30+ year old vehicle, therefore 30+ year old safety standards and construction.

It is certainly doable, only you can decide if it is desirable.

Vehicles
      2006 Toyota Tacoma, 2007 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
      03-16-2017 10:52 AM #16
      jeepforum.com was always pretty active... at least when I used to roam those parts.

I agree with most here... I would spend the extra money for a little bit newer XJ with the 4.0

Vehicles
      03-16-2017 11:04 AM #17
      I'll re-iterate: you can get (and make roadworthy) a 4.0L beater XJ for the same money it would take to buy that '85 and make it roadworthy. To buy this would be penny-wise but pound foolish.

About 5 years ago, I bought a $1,000 XJ. It was a 1997 with very minimal rust, running and driving. Only needed a transmission output shaft seal, which cost me all of $7 and 30 minutes in my driveway, and a set of tires. I drove that thing all over the place.

Even if it were a 1991-1996, you are at the very least 6 years newer , during which time MANY reliability and durability improvements were made over the early ones. The early XJ's have always been least desirable, not because the later ones were so good, but because they had problems from the start. Even the Renix injection models (1987-1990) are not that desirable in the grand scheme of things, but yet are still considered leaps and bounds better than the 2.8L models.

edit: this is what $1,000 got me:

Vehicles
      03-16-2017 11:27 AM #18
      ^ I agree fully.

I bought a 95 ZJ a few years ago with the 4.0L and that thing was my daily for around 3 years. I bought it for $1200 as is, put ~$600-700 into it in front end parts, rear axles seals and brakes (did that all myself). After that it was very reliable but I was always planing on fixing something or had a part in mind that was about to go. I did the rad, trans cooler lines, a few other fixes over the ownership of it.

Vehicles
      2011 Kia Sorrento / 10 WRX
      03-16-2017 11:46 AM #19

I would avoid an early (pre 89) XJ as well as any pre 91 YJ's. I would also avoid any engine other than the 4.0L personally.

XJ's aren't THAT expensive and you could save money by buying a later model that's better outfitted if the intent is for it to be reliable and roadworthy.

Yes older like that has the horrible electrical system (cant rem the name they use for it.) It will nickle and dime you to death. The loose 4wd lever may be the flex plate from what I've read. I'd personally listen to what CE said above and try and find a newer version.

Just sold my 2010 WRX and bought a 60k mile 97 Cherokee Country. have a fund set aside for the electrical gremlins that will pop up.

Edit: I paid more for mine than the two gents above lol. The XJ is climbing in price now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Jeep-Ch...FYyDQM&vxp=mtr
      Last edited by JOSHFL420; 03-16-2017 at 11:52 AM.
      Demokratikally Elekted Direktor and Konveyor of Positive Vibrations for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkAnalyst View Post
      I am the Fgt
      greenie: i'm banging my mechanic

Vehicles
      15 Jetta SE
      03-16-2017 11:55 AM #20

If that's the case I would think a bank loan of $10K at ~$200 monthly payment for a newer 4cyl car would be far cheaper than trying to keep old junk patched up and on the road. The fuel savings in comparison alone would be substantial. I know you don't want to tie up funds but month to month fuel + parts will eat up funds pretty quickly on old trucks.
      Fuel is of no concern since this isnt a roadtrip vehicle. It may go about 100 miles one way every so often, but would be staying within 10 miles more often than not, and since it would be my driver more often than not (unless bad weather sets in and the clearance/4x4 are needed) would spend 5 days a week sitting at my work. Not to mention the chevy is only averaging 10 mpg these days anyway despite having the v6.

The main driver is the Jetta. Wife drives that to work unless roads are bad. Its also our road trip car. It just has issues on the icebergs that occupy the roads and in the mud, which is the road heading to her parent's place.

I would prefer to just go buy a new or decent used 4runner, or possibly a grand cherokee (leaning more towards 4runner) but a newer vehicle isnt in the cards at the moment. Plus she wants a new truck after the house anyway so it would be difficult to justify a loan to her right now even if it was for her truck. And since shes set on a ram 2500 cummins with the laramie package i dont see that happening.

Vehicles
      15 Jetta SE
      03-16-2017 12:07 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      I'll re-iterate: you can get (and make roadworthy) a 4.0L beater XJ for the same money it would take to buy that '85 and make it roadworthy. To buy this would be penny-wise but pound foolish.

About 5 years ago, I bought a $1,000 XJ. It was a 1997 with very minimal rust, running and driving. Only needed a transmission output shaft seal, which cost me all of $7 and 30 minutes in my driveway, and a set of tires. I drove that thing all over the place.

Even if it were a 1991-1996, you are at the very least 6 years newer , during which time MANY reliability and durability improvements were made over the early ones. The early XJ's have always been least desirable, not because the later ones were so good, but because they had problems from the start. Even the Renix injection models (1987-1990) are not that desirable in the grand scheme of things, but yet are still considered leaps and bounds better than the 2.8L models.

edit: this is what $1,000 got me:

That looks awesome. Im keeping my eyes open for other options but havent found anything near that out here or in phoenix. All the jeeps ive found have either been beat to hell for 1800+ or decent looking examples for 4k or more.

We've got a 91 4runner (also not the most desirable) thats been here for nearly a year and we're still waiting on title for it because its from out of state. I would prefer this simply because its a Toyota and still a bit more sought after. This one needs passenger side control arms and associated parts but is otherwise a nice looking example.

Since the Chevy isnt used a hell of a lot i do have some time to find something else. I'm just trying to get information and research now.

Vehicles
      '01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0, '04 Mazda 3
      03-16-2017 12:09 PM #22
      4.0 with AW-4 or AX-5 or GTFO. As others have said, it's not really worth it screwing around with that 2.8 V6 POS.

Vehicles
      03-16-2017 12:19 PM #23
      And since shes set on a ram 2500 cummins with the laramie package i dont see that happening.
      Well, i've offered up all I can for advice on this particular XJ.

As for financial stuff that's none of my business but I can't wrap my head around all of this stuff.

- $1500 repair is a lot of money on the existing truck.
      - Patching together a junkyard XJ is a potential expense willing to incur.
      - ~$10K loan is impractical.
      - ~$60K truck purchase after the house is on the horizon.

I agree with you on not seeing that happening.

I mean you sound like you're going to be dealing with the mechanical stuff yourself, I just hope this XJ doesn't nickel and dime you to death. I have a feeling it will.

Given your current situation that you've laid out, i'd patch up the Silverado and make due until after the house. Or take whatever money you'll be potentially putting into the silverado/XJ and buy a small 4dr sedan. Doesn't sound like you need the added complexity/reliability issues of 4x4 and the running costs. Find a $2500-3000 cheap car to tide you over.
      Last edited by Cousin Eddie; 03-16-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Vehicles
      03-16-2017 12:30 PM #24
      That looks awesome. Im keeping my eyes open for other options but havent found anything near that out here or in phoenix. All the jeeps ive found have either been beat to hell for 1800+ or decent looking examples for 4k or more.

We've got a 91 4runner (also not the most desirable) thats been here for nearly a year and we're still waiting on title for it because its from out of state. I would prefer this simply because its a Toyota and still a bit more sought after. This one needs passenger side control arms and associated parts but is otherwise a nice looking example.

Since the Chevy isnt used a hell of a lot i do have some time to find something else. I'm just trying to get information and research now.
      FWIW mine was advertised at $1800 and I got it for $1,000. That pic was taken a few months after I got it - it was cosmetically rough when I initially purchased it - mostly dirt, caked-on brake dust, and the center caps were missing. The black also masked a gnarly dent in the passenger rear door (as you can see, not that visible in the pic). I cleaned up the wheels, sprayed them silver, and bought some center caps off eBay for $30 (XJ connoisseurs will note that they are not correct for a XJ) and gave the interior a good wipe down.

A 4Runner of any vintage would be a better bet than a 2.8L XJ, despite the 3.0L's appetite for head gaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by IJM View Post
      4.0 with AW-4 or AX-15 or GTFO. As others have said, it's not really worth it screwing around with that 2.8 V6 POS.
      FTFY. No way in hell you'd want to put an AX-5 behind a 4.0L. It would be destroyed in short order (AX-5 was the light duty tranny they put behind the 4-bangers)

The AW4 in my '97 was flawless. And it should have been, since it was an Aisin transmission that also found it's way into a lot of contemporary Toyotas, including the 4Runner

Vehicles
      '04 Yukon XL Denali
      03-16-2017 12:32 PM #25
      OP has a '15 Jetta. Don't know what they are worth, but maybe sell that, get slightly older Subaru (AWD for the trips that the Jetta couldn't handle) and buy older SUV. 75% cash on family car, 25% on SUV. Or something.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast