KilometerMagazine.com - Seat cushion trim removal?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Vehicles
      2015 VW Passat V6 (mine), 2012 VW Beetle 2.5 (wife's)
      03-16-2017 09:28 PM #1
      One last piece to replace for the mild interior reconditioning my CPO Passat (and my OCD) needed - Part #4 in the diagram below:

I suspect the switch covers (parts 19, 20) just snap off with a trim removal tool. What's holding that trim piece in place? I don't see any fasteners, does it just clip/snap on to the seat frame?
      "Upgrade with OEM Parts" -- Roger Moore and SVTWEB, you are missed

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Aficionado
      You can measure the power of a car, but you cannot measure the smile it puts on your face.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013/VW/Passat SE
      03-17-2017 07:04 PM #2
      Yes. Switch covers snap off. #4 snaps onto #5 at front and rear. I just replaced my drivers seat cushion.

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 08:30 PM #3
      It's a bit more of a challenge than all that. There's a plastic rivet at the rear - which will have to be replaced - and a zip-tie at the front

But the switches themselves are the real challenge - they are screwed into the plastic trim piece on the inside

Also, the seat position and recline (# 19 and 20 ) appear to be spring-loaded Is a spring or two going to come flying off when I pop off the switch covers?

I suspect the method is to pop off that rear rivet, gently pry the trim piece from the seat, then disconnect the switches. This should allow the entire piece to be removed to a more controlled environment, where I can do the delicate work of transferring the switches and switch covers from the old trim piece to the new.

What else is holding the trim piece to the seat frame? Plastic clips? Metal ones?

You can measure the power of a car, but you cannot measure the smile it puts on your face.

Vehicles
      2017 VW
      04-01-2017 06:07 AM #4
      Isn't that just a plastic push pin?

Push the middle out & it'll pop right out

2017 Passat VR6
      2017 Passat R-Line

Vehicles
      04-29-2017 05:41 PM #5
      The good news is, I finally found the rivet part. It shows up on ETKA for manual seats but not the power seat

The bad news is, I can't figure out how I'm going to get it, or the rest of the trim piece, off the seat

It's nearly impossible to push on the rivet from behind to pop it out. I can't see the backside of the trim piece, and I can't get a good enough feel to get a tool on there.

Even if I achieve this, the rest of the trim piece is a challenge. It uses two soft plastic "wrap-around" clips that, well, wrap around the seat frame. So this isn't as simple as pulling the trim panel off the seat frame (or is it)?

Here's an overview of the inside of the trim. The one clip is at the front end, the other behind the cut-outs for the switches.

Close-up of the front end.

And the one in the middle.

Without Vortex's help, I'm giving up
      Last edited by g-man_ae; 04-29-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Vehicles
      2017 VW
      05-01-2017 05:19 AM #6
      You could also just push the "pin" of the rivet completely thru it, then pull the body of the rivet out

It looks like you need to release those clips on the panel from behind, if possible. Do you have the seat out of the car or laying on it's "back" to reach behind?

Outside of that, I'd just tug/break the old cover off since you have a new one anyways. And you know the mounting points too, since you have the new one to look at
      2017 Passat VR6
      2017 Passat R-Line

For advertising information click HERE