KilometerMagazine.com - How much is too much rust?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1968 VW Bug
      03-17-2017 11:49 PM #1
      Hello everyone. I have a question for the body work/restore guys.

I recently bought a 68 bug for my daughter. I started stripping it to rebuild, as the pans need to be replaced. As I am taking it apart I see the front apron is rusted through (I can see the ground) and the bumper mounts are giant holes. Inside the car, the heater channels are rusted through, the luggage shelf is pretty much gone. I haven't done any body work before, and don't know at what point is it too much to fix. Also, with the front bumper mounts being gone am I in need of a front "apron" / "apron clip"?

Thanks in advance!
      Last edited by vw_bug_owner; 03-17-2017 at 11:53 PM.

Vehicles
      00&01 Focus ZX3,01 Focus Wagon,00 Durango R/T, 89 Cabriolet, 77 Beetle, 70 Bus camper, 89 Fox coupe
      03-19-2017 08:45 AM #2
      In Texas, that car is shot. Here in New England we call that a normal project car

Vehicles
      2010 JSW TDI : Malone Stg 2 : Buzzken DPF/EGR Delete | 1970 Beetle : slammed
      03-20-2017 09:07 AM #3
      That's a lot of work for a 68 and if you haven't done any body work before you are in for a long haul if you plan to do it yourself. Unless it has sentimental value I'd say the car is scrap from your description. IF you dive in, get the Bugmevideos on pan and panel replacement. It will help you a lot.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat 6-speed; 2017 Tiguan 4-Motion
      03-22-2017 10:54 PM #4
      Obviously, a lot depends on your confidence and skill level in welding and body repair. Floor and body panel replacement are fairly common on these cars, especially if they have lived in the rust belt states.

My concern would be, do you have enough structure to which to weld the new panels? If the heater channels are rusted through, you may not have enough steel to attach the floor pans. I wonder if the strength of the car has been substantially compromised. You may wish to take an awl, and probe to see how much metal you have remaining.
      Alpinweiß 2
      2008 Passat 6-speed manual
      2017 Tiguan 4-Motion
      formerly Alpinweiss (Alpinweiß)

5. 03-28-2017 07:27 PM #5
      I'd say it'd come down to whether you could find a better shell or not for the cost of replacement panels and the time it will take to install them. All the panels could run over $500 +shipping.

For advertising information click HERE