KilometerMagazine.com - Engine/tranny leash?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1. 03-20-2017 07:15 AM #1
      Has anyone tried the true and proven cable style "leash" to limit movement vs putting in a insert? Made one for my 15' Genesis coupe 3.8 and it helped quite a bit with wheel hop and engine movement. Not to mention with shifting.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      16 GTI 6MT SE w/ LP, PP and DCC
      03-20-2017 08:40 AM #2
      I have been on this earth 40 years and have yet to hear of such a thing.

I looked it up and it looks like a Genesis thing because it was the only car listed in Google in the first two pages.

It looks like a cheap and rudimentary solution to take only one type of movement (pulling away) out.

Don't know why one would pick this over stiffer mounts and an insert or full dogbone which limits movement all ways.

For others scratching their head...

http://www.gencoupe.com/3-8-v6-discu...roduction.html

Last edited by XM_Rocks; 03-20-2017 at 08:44 AM.

3. 03-20-2017 08:45 AM #3
      Wow it's been around forever. People used to use frickin chains back in the day. Rudimentary? There's zero vibrations and it works flawlessly. Vs having my balls rattling from the inserts.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 GTI 6MT Autobahn
      03-20-2017 09:19 AM #4

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 09:31 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 2NR4LYF View Post
      Wow it's been around forever. People used to use frickin chains back in the day. Rudimentary? There's zero vibrations and it works flawlessly. Vs having my balls rattling from the inserts.

What makes you think inserts cause harsh vibration?

I have the 034 Insert and you could never tell it was there if I didn't mention it.

Literally a tiny vibration at initial startup in the steering wheel and that's it.

6. 03-20-2017 09:35 AM #6
      Because I've tried them in many different vehicles.. Including my Gti now. "Little to know vibrations felt" yet the whole car vibrates on startup, takeoff, a/c on. (Poly street insert) I was just curious of anyone has tried the leash mod. Jesus get raped for asking. This forum is about as bad as the speed forums were. Every question is a dumb one, we're all engineers here.... No point in being rude over it.

Vehicles
      Present: 16 GTI SE Past: 12 GTI, 99.5 GTI GLX, 95 Golf Sport, 78 Bus…
      03-20-2017 09:45 AM #7
      Because I've tried them in many different vehicles.. Including my Gti now. "Little to know vibrations felt" yet the whole car vibrates on startup, takeoff, a/c on. (Poly street insert) I was just curious of anyone has tried the leash mod. Jesus get raped for asking. This forum is about as bad as the speed forums were. Every question is a dumb one, we're all engineers here.... No point in being rude over it.

You know if you start off with abusing members with your first reply things will usually go downhill from then on.
      Nobody replied to you with the amount of vitriol that you did. Relax before you post next time.

You should re-read the rules of the forum again especially this part.
      • No flaming of other members to incite or perpetuate a conflict or argument. ANY personal attacks or name calling will get you banned.

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 09:47 AM #8

I wasn't attacking you.

I have never heard of this and I have been around cars my entire life.

Rudimentary means it's simple or basic. I don't think anyone would look at this and claim otherwise.

Yes, my MK4 big Turbo had poly inserts and the steering wheel and my keys would shake every time I turned on the A/C and it was idling. It sucked.

Sounds like you should try the 034 Insert for $60 if you are not happy with your poly inserts. Trust me, you will never know it's there it's so good.

Or find a bolt in your frame and engine/transmission and try to make your own leash. It's your car.

But to answer your original question... no this doesn't exsist for our generation or any generation of prior VW that I am aware of.

9. 03-20-2017 09:49 AM #9
      How was I abusive? OMG, fine just ban me then. Wow

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 PW GTI S 2D 6MT, 2008 UG Rabbit 2D 5MT (RIP), '96 CW GTI VR6 2D 5MT (RIP), '81 Rabbit (RIP)
      03-20-2017 11:22 AM #10
      How was I abusive? OMG, fine just ban me then. Wow

Dude... take a step back and take a deep breath.

No one here was saying your question was stupid, or that you were dumb for wanting to do this.

No one 'raped you for asking.'

No one here has seen this mod before and so XM_ROCKS was just letting everyone know what you were talking about.

We're all confused because at least as far as we know, this isn't something people do on our cars (that doesn't mean we thing it's bad, just that we haven't seen it done).

Generally speaking, I wouldn't leash the engine/tranny to the frame in this way, not least because I wouldn't like the way it looked, but it's totally up to you if you want to.

There's no need to be so reactive and take offense at everyone's comments.

Vehicles
      2017 GTI Sport, 2012 GLI (gone), 2012 Tiguan LE
      03-20-2017 04:08 PM #11
      Try the 034 Motorsports dogbone insert (just make sure you get the right version for your car) It does not introduce constant NVH like the poly bushings are sometimes known to do. You will feel it a bit when taking off, but not know it's there thereafter. (other than limiting engine movement for crisper, effortless shifts)
      2017 Tornado Red GTI Sport
      2012 White Gold Metallic Tiguan LE - Wife's ride

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GSW TSI S 5MT
      03-20-2017 05:25 PM #12
      My first thought at the thread title was a typo for "leaks". -- "engine/tranny leaks"

While we're at it, I hate when people say tire "threads" - tires have tread, not f*&@ing yarn in them

My 034 insert added very very little vibration. No longer noticeable.
      Last edited by surfstar; 03-21-2017 at 03:06 PM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      15' GTI
      03-20-2017 08:41 PM #13
      With no other mods present, what would this leash or an insert buy you?

14. 03-20-2017 09:37 PM #14
      This was a mod used on old rwd v8 cars. Cheap trick was a length of chain between the block and frame. I have never heard of it on a fwd
      , but that doesn't mean much.. would it be from the core support to top of engine? Or in line with the lower dog bone?
      It's just to limit engine movement which leads to wheel hop...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. 03-20-2017 09:38 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by OldBeater View Post
      With no other mods present, what would this leash or an insert buy you?
      An insert was the first mod I made because of wheel hop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16v, 2016 Golf GTI S
      03-21-2017 01:07 PM #16
      that was funny.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Maxima 2000 Golf 1.8T Honda Accord V6 2016 R DCC NAV DSG Lapiz, 2017 R DCC/NAV/DSG Limestone
      03-21-2017 10:44 PM #17
      XM, you make this fellow Austinite feel old. Does anyone remember trying to reduce rear axle hop in V8 Mustangs ( until just recently)? Traction bars could be the hop equiv. of the pictured leash. either way, hop was/in not a desirable side effect.

Vehicles
      03-22-2017 11:07 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by ATX_R View Post
      XM, you make this fellow Austinite feel old. Does anyone remember trying to reduce rear axle hop in V8 Mustangs ( until just recently)? Traction bars could be the hop equiv. of the pictured leash. either way, hop was/in not a desirable side effect.
      Do you live South near or in Circle C?

There is a Limestone Gray R I keep seeing down here.

Yeah I have heard of traction bars., I think I used to see them in the JC Whitney Catalog, I loved getting that catalog. At least traction bars stop motion fore and aft, a chain can only stop direction one way.

For advertising information click HERE