KilometerMagazine.com - New Release: P34 Air Intake System for Mk7 Volkswagen Golf R
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. Banner Advertiser 034Motorsport's Avatar
      03-20-2017 05:37 PM #1

034Motorsport is pleased to introduce the P34 Performance Air Intake System for 8V/8S Audi A3/S3/TT/TTS & MkVII Volkswagen Golf/GTI/R!

034Motorsport’s engineers invested significant effort in developing a comprehensive performance intake solution for Audi/Volkswagen EA888 1.8T/2.0T Gen 3 engines, which provides noticeable gains in horsepower and torque over the factory airbox.

Throughout the development process, multiple designs were modeled, prototyped, and tested, to ensure that the P34 Air Intake System delivers measurable performance benefits and excellent fitment.

Features:
      • Developed In-House by 034Motorsport's Engineering Team
      • One-Piece Design with High-Quality Construction
      • OEM+ Fit & Finish Retains Factory Lower Airbox & Inlet Duct
      • Fully-Enclosed Design with Pleated Cotton Panel Air Filter
      • Large-Diameter CFD-Optimized Air Intake Tube
      • Dyno-Proven Horsepower & Torque Gains
      • Increased Engine & Induction Sounds
      • Improved Throttle Response
      • Compatable with SAI Equipped & Non-SAI Equipped Vehicles
      • Simple, Straightforward Installation

What's Included:
      • 034Motorsport P34 MQB Air Intake System
      • 034Motorsport High-Flow Panel Air Filter
      • Integrated SAI Adapter Fitting
      • Silicone Turbo Inlet Coupler & Hose Clamps

Compatible Vehicles:
      • 2015 - Present Audi A3/S3 (8V - MQB) - 1.8T & 2.0T
      • 2016 - Present Audi TT/TTS (MkIII - MQB) - 2.0T
      • 2015 - Present Volkswagen Golf/GTI/ R (MkVII - MQB) - 1.8T & 2.0T

Installation Instructions:

Please feel free to send me a PM or email if you have any questions!

Click Here to Order!

Also Available At:

Achtuning

ECS Tuning

USP Motorsports

VAG Cafe

034Motorsport - Engineering and Manufacturing Performance Hardware & Software Upgrades for Audi/Volkswagen Enthusiasts Since 2005.

YouTube // Instagram // Facebook

Vehicles
      16 VW Golf R MT /// 12 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      03-20-2017 06:12 PM #2
      Not to sound rude but can you please explain to me how it this intake better than a stock with the drop in AFE filter and possibly a silicone hose?

3. Banner Advertiser 034Motorsport's Avatar
      03-20-2017 06:22 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      Not to sound rude but can you please explain to me how it this intake better than a stock with the drop in AFE filter and possibly a silicone hose?
      Certainly! The P34 is designed to retain the most advantageous design elements of the original Carbon Fiber X34. One of the biggest advantages of the original X34 that it eliminates couplers and accordion sections between the turbocharger inlet and air filter. Those types of sharp transitions result in pressure drop, which isn't ideal before the compressor inlet.

Compared to the factory upper airbox and intake tube, the P34 is larger volume, one-piece unit. For the P34, a panel filter was used due to price and manufacturing constraints. That being said, the factory panel filter has a very large surface area, and our performance drop-in version flows more than enough for these cars, even with hybrid turbo setups.

We've tested this intake on our R460-powered S3 with no power loss, which is quite impressive.

We tested intake tubes, panel filters, and intake baffle removal a couple of years ago when prototyping the X34, and saw no repeatable increases in power.

034Motorsport - Engineering and Manufacturing Performance Hardware & Software Upgrades for Audi/Volkswagen Enthusiasts Since 2005.

Vehicles
      16 R, 12 z4
      03-20-2017 08:41 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 034Motorsport View Post
      Certainly! The P34 is designed to retain the most advantageous design elements of the original Carbon Fiber X34. One of the biggest advantages of the original X34 that it eliminates couplers and accordion sections between the turbocharger inlet and air filter. Those types of sharp transitions result in pressure drop, which isn't ideal before the compressor inlet.

Compared to the factory upper airbox and intake tube, the P34 is larger volume, one-piece unit. For the P34, a panel filter was used due to price and manufacturing constraints. That being said, the factory panel filter has a very large surface area, and our performance drop-in version flows more than enough for these cars, even with hybrid turbo setups.

We've tested this intake on our R460-powered S3 with no power loss, which is quite impressive.

We tested intake tubes, panel filters, and intake baffle removal a couple of years ago when prototyping the X34, and saw no repeatable increases in power.

Interesting about the accordion because that's why APR uses it because ones that don't are not safe to use and can under Shar twists and turns and fast driving can cause silicone non accordion style piping to snap and break. Hense why VW did this since the engine moves so much.

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP
      2016 Lapiz R - DCC/DSG -Res Delete - Hyper Black RSE102 - modded stock box- All DeAutoKey Leds-Double Apex Garage-Xpel Ulti

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      03-21-2017 11:26 AM #5
      What's the performance numbers for a stock R equipped with this intake? How's this compare to the X34? How loud is this system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Member
      Vehicles
      17' Golf R
      03-21-2017 11:55 AM #6
      Interesting, so the claim is that all the games pretty much come from the tubing?
      17' .:R DSG | Lapiz Blue Metallic | JB4 Map 2 | Factory Airbox Mod | PedalBox | S2T Paddles

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      03-21-2017 01:12 PM #7
      Glad to see that you've shaved 270$ worth of CF

Vehicles
      03-21-2017 01:31 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR View Post
      Interesting, so the claim is that all the games pretty much come from the tubing?
      My thoughts exactly. Plus it reinforces my believe that most CAIs are a waste of money since a high flow drop in filter yields same results/numbers as conical one.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      17' Golf R
      03-21-2017 01:34 PM #9
      My thoughts exactly. Plus it reinforces my believe that most CAIs are a waste of money since a high flow drop in filter yields same results/numbers as conical one.
      Personally I don't believe anyone, no offense to any manufacturer. All these designs claim similar power increase. I have no way to prove this but I find it hard to believe that you gain ~10hp from simply replacing the stock tubing with smooth tubing.
      17' .:R DSG | Lapiz Blue Metallic | JB4 Map 2 | Factory Airbox Mod | PedalBox | S2T Paddles

10. Banner Advertiser 034Motorsport's Avatar
      03-21-2017 05:39 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by tonipepperoni77 View Post
      Interesting about the accordion because that's why APR uses it because ones that don't are not safe to use and can under Shar twists and turns and fast driving can cause silicone non accordion style piping to snap and break. Hense why VW did this since the engine moves so much.
      APR (and some other aftermarket intakes) cannot be used with riding hoses or one-piece tubing because they bolt to the core support and can crack of there isn't enough movement in the connection between the airbox and turbocharger inlet. It's not the tubing that would crack, but the fragile mounting tabs at the core support.

The P34 and X34 intakes reuse the factory lower airbox (which allows for some movement at the mounting grommets) and have a silicone coupler at the turbo nlet that allows for more than enough movement at the turbo inlet. Before we released the X34 (almost a year ago now) we ran a much more fragile printed plastic prototype version of it for about a year without any issues. That was on our S3, which sees daily-driving duty and countless track days and hard launches.

Hope that helps clarify!

Quote Originally Posted by blitz869 View Post
      What's the performance numbers for a stock R equipped with this intake? How's this compare to the X34? How loud is this system?
      You can expect almost identical performance on stock and stock turbo applications. We tested both the P34 and X34 intakes on our R460-powered Audi S3 with no power loss versus an ideal (essentially open bellmouth) inlet.

Just to clarify, a drop-in filter by itself using the factory upper airbox and intake tube will not yield any repeatable/measurable power increase. We have tested that extensively. The fact that the filter itself is not a restriction does not mean that there are no other restrictions present in the intake tract.

Personally I don't believe anyone, no offense to any manufacturer. All these designs claim similar power increase. I have no way to prove this but I find it hard to believe that you gain ~10hp from simply replacing the stock tubing with smooth tubing.
      You're not the only person who is skeptical of intake gains, and with the plethora of products on the market, it's understandable. We only make intakes for applications that they provide a substantive, measurable improvement for. In some cases, the factory inlet tube is the only restriction preset in the intake tract. For the B8 Audi S5 4.2L, for example, all we offer is a Silicone Throttle Body Hose which yields modest, but measurable power gains.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Passat gone 2008 R32 gone -2016 Golf R
      03-21-2017 06:50 PM #11
      They do remove the baffle under the filter too but I have no idea if that is part of the reason for the measured gain.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      17' Golf R
      03-21-2017 06:56 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Urlik View Post
      They do remove the baffle under the filter too but I have no idea if that is part of the reason for the measured gain.
      You can see in the dyno sheet he posted that there is basically no difference between stock box and stock box with baffle removed and an aftermarket panel filter. Again, based on this the only gains are in the tubing. Go figure

13. Member
      Vehicles
      17' Golf R
      03-21-2017 06:59 PM #13
      Also what is the point of providing the filter with this box if the filter in itself does nothing for performance? Why not just keep the stock filter and make this a little cheaper?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Passat gone 2008 R32 gone -2016 Golf R
      03-21-2017 09:25 PM #14
      You can see in the dyno sheet he posted that there is basically no difference between stock box and stock box with baffle removed and an aftermarket panel filter. Again, based on this the only gains are in the tubing. Go figure
      Ugh, evidently I couldn't see that.

Vehicles
      2015 GolF R/ '83 GTI
      03-21-2017 09:57 PM #15
      Do you have a sound clip from inside the cabin running down the road?
      "German car only knows force!"

Vehicles
      03-21-2017 11:52 PM #16
      APR (and some other aftermarket intakes) cannot be used with riding hoses or one-piece tubing because they bolt to the core support and can crack of there isn't enough movement in the connection between the airbox and turbocharger inlet. It's not the tubing that would crack, but the fragile mounting tabs at the core support.

The P34 and X34 intakes reuse the factory lower airbox (which allows for some movement at the mounting grommets) and have a silicone coupler at the turbo nlet that allows for more than enough movement at the turbo inlet. Before we released the X34 (almost a year ago now) we ran a much more fragile printed plastic prototype version of it for about a year without any issues. That was on our S3, which sees daily-driving duty and countless track days and hard launches.

Hope that helps clarify!

You can expect almost identical performance on stock and stock turbo applications. We tested both the P34 and X34 intakes on our R460-powered Audi S3 with no power loss versus an ideal (essentially open bellmouth) inlet.

Just to clarify, a drop-in filter by itself using the factory upper airbox and intake tube will not yield any repeatable/measurable power increase. We have tested that extensively. The fact that the filter itself is not a restriction does not mean that there are no other restrictions present in the intake tract.

You're not the only person who is skeptical of intake gains, and with the plethora of products on the market, it's understandable. We only make intakes for applications that they provide a substantive, measurable improvement for. In some cases, the factory inlet tube is the only restriction preset in the intake tract. For the B8 Audi S5 4.2L, for example, all we offer is a Silicone Throttle Body Hose which yields modest, but measurable power gains.
      Don't get me wrong guys, I love some of your products but this here makes very little sense to me. You say the drop in filter makes no difference, yet you include one, you say baffle makes no difference, yet in your video you remove it. Your upper box is almost identical to an OEM one, you also say that better intake tube won't make any difference either, then what will? There is nothing else left, lol. Am I missing something here?

17. 03-22-2017 05:09 PM #17
      Don't get me wrong guys, I love some of your products but this here makes very little sense to me. You say the drop in filter makes no difference, yet you include one, you say baffle makes no difference, yet in your video you remove it. Your upper box is almost identical to an OEM one, you also say that better intake tube won't make any difference either, then what will? There is nothing else left, lol. Am I missing something here?
      ha ha good one!

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      17 Golf R, 12 Golf TDI
      03-22-2017 05:15 PM #18
      They're all a huge waste of money, sound is the only change.

19. Banner Advertiser 034Motorsport's Avatar
      03-22-2017 05:24 PM #19
      I'm happy to explain.
      • We include a high-flow panel filter because it flows more than the factory filter, is serviceable, ensures a proper seal with the P34 intake, and because most customers we've spoken to desire a new filter. Just because the panel filter and baffle removal by themselves didn't yield gains at stock power levels does not mean that they won't as you get to Stage 2, Stage 3, or Hybrid Turbo power levels.
      • We remove the baffle for sound with the P34, and also for filter clearance with the X34. Again, just because the panel filter and baffle removal by themselves didn't yield gains at stock power levels does not mean that they won't as you get to Stage 2, Stage 3, or Hybrid Turbo power levels.
      • While the P34 upper airbox is externally similar to the factory unit, it features a large-diameter intake tube and a smooth transition to the airbox itself. This is something that you will not achieve solely by replacing the inlet tube and retaining the stock upper airbox, as you will have an additional coupler there, and less optimal geometry at the outlet of the airbox top.

20. Banner Advertiser 034Motorsport's Avatar
      03-22-2017 05:33 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by radoroc View Post
      They're all a huge waste of money, sound is the only change.
      For what it's worth, there are many intakes available for this platform with dyno proven and independently verified power gains.

After we released the X34 Carbon Fiber Intake for the MQB Platform last year, we sold countless units to happy customers around the world. We also received feedback from many customers looking for an option that offered a similar level of performance and OEM+ fit and finish at a lower price point. We spent months designing, testing, and manufacturing the P34 to meet the needs of those customers, and are proud to be able to offer two intake options for our customers, both of which offer substantive performance gains over the factory airbox.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      17' Golf R
      03-22-2017 07:09 PM #21
      I'm happy to explain.
      • We include a high-flow panel filter because it flows more than the factory filter, is serviceable, ensures a proper seal with the P34 intake, and because most customers we've spoken to desire a new filter. Just because the panel filter and baffle removal by themselves didn't yield gains at stock power levels does not mean that they won't as you get to Stage 2, Stage 3, or Hybrid Turbo power levels.
      • We remove the baffle for sound with the P34, and also for filter clearance with the X34. Again, just because the panel filter and baffle removal by themselves didn't yield gains at stock power levels does not mean that they won't as you get to Stage 2, Stage 3, or Hybrid Turbo power levels.
      • While the P34 upper airbox is externally similar to the factory unit, it features a large-diameter intake tube and a smooth transition to the airbox itself. This is something that you will not achieve solely by replacing the inlet tube and retaining the stock upper airbox, as you will have an additional coupler there, and less optimal geometry at the outlet of the airbox top.
      Will this intake not seal properly with the factory filter?

22. Banner Advertiser 034Motorsport's Avatar
      03-22-2017 07:15 PM #22
      Will this intake not seal properly with the factory filter?
      Yes, it will. Ideally, it will seal with any stock-replacement panel filter, but the best way to ensure this is to provide one that we can guarantee fitment with.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      17' Golf R
      03-22-2017 07:20 PM #23
      Yes, it will. Ideally, it will seal with any stock-replacement panel filter, but the best way to ensure this is to provide one that we can guarantee fitment with.
      I know some people are not big fans of "servicing" filters and would rather just replace with a new one at a set interval, hence why I'm asking. Also some are skeptical of the filtering capability of aftermarket filters. So to confirm it's perfectly fine to use the stock filter with the system?

24. Banner Advertiser 034Motorsport's Avatar
      03-22-2017 07:52 PM #24
      I know some people are not big fans of "servicing" filters and would rather just replace with a new one at a set interval, hence why I'm asking. Also some are skeptical of the filtering capability of aftermarket filters. So to confirm it's perfectly fine to use the stock filter with the system?
      Yes, it will work perfectly fine.

25. 03-22-2017 11:14 PM #25
      I wonder how much of the flow improvement can be attributed to the mere removal of the baffle. I wish this version had the conical filter on it but it looks like a quality piece regardless. "OEM+" look is a little more up my alley than the carbon.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast