KilometerMagazine.com - APR dealer practice?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1. 03-20-2017 07:18 PM #1
      I got a quote today from a local dealer to do a Stage 1 flash for my TB (2.0TSI). The guy I spoke with said that my ECU would not have to be pulled; simple plug into the dataport & flash.

What is bugging me is not the "standard" current non-sale price but the additional $65 "download fee" that the dealer feels he needs to collect to do the flash. My 1s time at this shop. It seems like a local mark-up. In the past, I've bought a Rocketchip flash, an Upsolute flash and an APR flash and I haven't been hit for an additional service charge in any of those sales.

My question is: Is this a normal, standard practice from APR dealers?

Thanks in advance...V

Vehicles
      2015 Beetle R-Line Convertible
      03-20-2017 07:36 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Vectorer View Post
      I got a quote today from a local dealer to do a Stage 1 flash for my TB (2.0TSI). The guy I spoke with said that my ECU would not have to be pulled; simple plug into the dataport & flash.

What is bugging me is not the "standard" current non-sale price but the additional $65 "download fee" that the dealer feels he needs to collect to do the flash. My 1s time at this shop. It seems like a local mark-up. In the past, I've bought a Rocketchip flash, an Upsolute flash and an APR flash and I haven't been hit for an additional service charge in any of those sales.

Thanks in advance...V
      Was standard at all the places I called. Most places seem to charge an hour labor to cover checking the current state of the car (cels, etc), upgrade time, and then time driving around the block to make sure the flash was successful.
      2015 Beetle R-Line Convertible - Dark Grey
      • APR Stage 1, Auto Headlights, Audi headrests, Joying 9" headunit

3. 03-20-2017 10:09 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Vectorer View Post

Thanks in advance...V
      Mine said what the price is online is what I pay. They even gave me a loaner for the day when the did not stage 1 and stage 2. And again on the fallowing day when the messed up stage 2 and had to fix it. It was only the price listed online. They said that covered everything. (Did not cover down pipe install did that myself)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 03-21-2017 02:19 PM #4
      Thanks for the quick replies. I had APR Stage 1 applied this morning. I have yet to twist it's tail but the difference is as noticeable as other chiptuning jobs I've had done. My TB is a cherry, low miles Fender Beetle (6M) I found last month to replace my Passat TDI going back to VW.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: 14 Jetta SE 1.8tsi; 14 Beetle 'vert 1.8tsi. Prior: 10 JSW; 07 GTI
      03-23-2017 12:04 AM #5
      Most shops in Chicagoland that I've checked charge between $50 (independent tuner) to $100 (VW dealer) for labor on top of the APR website price.

For advertising information click HERE